Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Anteros View Post
    Cool!
    Why Sons of Wayland though? I thought Wayland was a hero?
    I'm not sure of the exact reasoning of that. You'd have to read the stuff in that post. It's about halfway through, if memory serves.

Comment

• I tried to make an Atavism to simulate the slow, silent, horror movie slasher walk during a chase scene. How does this look to everyone?

Inescapable [Eshmaki]
      An Eshmaki on the prowl is always there, breathing down even the fastest victim’s neck. It is the nature of the Beast to not only be stronger or tougher than any mere mortal, but faster too.
      Dice Pool: N/A
      Action: Reflexive
      Normal Effect: No matter how hard a human tries to run, the monster stalking him will always be just one step behind. Add the Beast's Lair to her speed. If she can't be seen by anyone, multiply the higher of the Beast's Strength or Dexterity by her Lair +1 when calculating her speed. The Beast may make Stealth rolls even when moving at full speed.
      Low Satiety: By abandoning subtlety in exchange for pure speed, the Beast may become truly inescapable. No matter how fast her victim runs or how well he hides, he cannot escape fear. Multiply the higher of the Beast's Strength or Dexterity by her Lair +1 when calculating her speed, even when she is being observed. The Beast also inflicts a penalty equal to half her Lair, rounded up to the Speed, chase rolls, and Stealth rolls of anyone fleeing or hiding from her.
      Satiety Expenditure: When the Beast pushes herself, she can use her incredible speed for not only offense, but defense as well. By spending a dot of Satiety, the Beast may interrupt an attack aimed at her by moving up to her full speed out of reach, making an attack roll, or by taking any other instant action. This does not allow her to attack twice in one turn. Furthermore, the Beast adds half her Lair rounded up to her Defense for the rest of the scene.

The increase in speed is calculated the way it is so it doesn't get absolutely ridiculous when stacked with Looming Presence.

Comment

• Originally posted by Xenorath View Post
        I tried to make an Atavism to simulate the slow, silent, horror movie slasher walk during a chase scene. How does this look to everyone?

Inescapable [Eshmaki]
        An Eshmaki on the prowl is always there, breathing down even the fastest victim’s neck. It is the nature of the Beast to not only be stronger or tougher than any mere mortal, but faster too.
        Dice Pool: N/A
        Normal Effect: No matter how hard a human tries to run, the monster stalking him will always be just one step behind. Add the Beast's Lair to her speed. If she can't be seen by anyone, multiply the higher of the Beast's Strength or Dexterity by her Lair +1 when calculating her speed. The Beast may make Stealth rolls even when moving at full speed.
        Low Satiety: By abandoning subtlety in exchange for pure speed, the Beast may become truly inescapable. No matter how fast her victim runs or how well he hides, he cannot escape fear. Multiply the higher of the Beast's Strength or Dexterity by her Lair +1 when calculating her speed, even when she is being observed. The Beast also inflicts a penalty equal to half her Lair, rounded up to the Speed, chase rolls, and Stealth rolls of anyone fleeing or hiding from her.
        Satiety Expenditure: When the Beast pushes herself, she can use her incredible speed for not only offense, but defense as well. By spending a dot of Satiety, the Beast may interrupt an attack aimed at her by moving up to her full speed out of reach, making an attack roll, or by taking any other instant action. This does not allow her to attack twice in one turn. Furthermore, the Beast adds half her Lair rounded up to her Defense for the rest of the scene.

The increase in speed is calculated the way it is so it doesn't get absolutely ridiculous when stacked with Looming Presence.

I do have a few concerns.

The first is that the themes behind it - I feel - can be essentially covered by using already existing Nightmares. You can slap on some Lair traits to exacerbate things to the point of what you described. I also feel the slow and methodical approach is better represented by having the Relentless Hunter and Needs Must Atavisms. You also mention Looming Presence, which is more than enough to get you any amount of speed you need unless you're chasing down a Runnerswift Changeling with Fleet of Foot.

Another problem is that it's a bit clunky when calculating the speed. I know this is to make the Atavism 'less good', but at the very least I would have Low Satiety multiply the entire speed trait by Lair, maybe with a potential drawback, as many Low Satiety Atavisms imply. The horror is hungry and it's not always going to do exactly what you want, as you want it.

The last problem is the Satiety Expenditure, it's very contrary to the themes of the Atavism. Horror Movie monsters don't vanish mid-swing and end up on the other side of the room.

Comment

• Whispers in the Dark [Namtaru]
          Dice: N/A
          Satiety Effect: By spending a point of satiety, the Beast can read any text regardless of language for the remainder of the scene. The voices the words aloud in her head as she follows the script. As well, the Beast enjoys the Encyclopedic Knowledge merit for the remainder of the scene. The voices aren’t shy about sharing their knowledge, even if it’s something the Beast might rather not know.

Normal: The Beast is never alone. She has her horror for company, and sometimes it speaks to her. It could be the hundreds of spiders using her skull as a nest. It could be countless voices on a wind that echoes through her and around her. These voices repeat whatever the Beast hears in languages beyond count. She can always understand what an individual is saying, regardless of the speaker’s language. The voices will translate, and one of the languages spoken is bound to be one that she personally understands. This Atavism also adds the Beast’s Lair dots to any rolls used to translate from one language to another, as even if the Beast doesn’t fully understand the other languages, she can capture enough of what is said to carry it over.

Low Satiety: At low satiety, the Beast isn’t alone in hearing the voices. When she speaks it is with the voices of countless insects, the sharp biting call of the wind echoing words from those dead from exposure. Regardless, listeners can always understand her as long as they speak a language and are not deaf. The Beast gains a bonus to all Intimidation rolls equal to their Lair. The Horror is hungry, and the voices do not perfectly translate what the Beast is saying. Any message communicated is twisted, its meaning altered with a layer of pernicious intent. This will often fill the listener with no small amount of alarm - good, the Horror has to eat, after all.

Comment

• Is it just me that thinks there ought to be some kind of possession Atavism? I mean, how many nightmares are there where you can't control your body?

Here's a quick outline of my idea:

Bodysnatcher (Anakim)
            Action:
            Instant
            Dice Pool: Resolve + Lair vs Composure + Supernatural Tolerance (Low Satiety)
            Normal: The Beast can cast his mind into the body of another, leaving his comatose. While inside the other person's body, he can use their senses. He can remain in their body for a number of hours equal to Lair. While occupying the body, he can talk with the body's owner, perhaps posing as a 'conscience' or simply driving him mad with the constant whispers.
            Low Satiety: While inside the other person's body, he can roll Resolve + Lair vs Composure + Supernatural Tolerance in order to take control of their body for a number of minutes equal to Lair. While the Beast is doing this, the victim cannot act at all, although he can still see through his eyes and use his senses.
            Satiety Expenditure: The Beast can choose to apply this to either the Normal effect or the Low Satiety effect (if he has access to it). In the case of the former, the Beast can piggyback in the victim's body indefinitely. If applied to the Low Satiety effect, he can control the victim's actions for a number of hours equal to Lair.

Comment

• Originally posted by ajf115 View Post
              Is it just me that thinks there ought to be some kind of possession Atavism? I mean, how many nightmares are there where you can't control your body?
              That's a function of Nightmares.

Resident Lore-Hound
              Currently Consuming: Hunter: the Vigil 1e

Comment

• Originally posted by Satchel View Post
                That's a function of Nightmares.
                HM. Ah well, I'll leave Bodysnatcher up here and if someone wants it they can use it. What do you think of it mechanically?

Comment

• Has anyone got any ideas on how to set up a smokescreen/poison cloud/tear gas atavism?

like: Normal = smoke, Low Satiety = tear gas/sleeping gas, Satiety Expenditure = poison cloud
                  Last edited by ajf115; 05-17-2016, 08:09 AM.

Comment

• Semi-academic question here: would it be possible, do you think, to create an Atavism equivalent to the Demon House Exploit from D:tD? This is coming from me having discovered the film Monster House and thinking of all those movies like that...

Perhaps have

Normal = seeing anywhere inside the building

Low Satiety = haunting-esque telekinesis within the house

Expenditure = Merging truly into the house?

Comment

Semi-academic question here: would it be possible, do you think, to create an Atavism equivalent to the Demon House Exploit from D:tD? This is coming from me having discovered the film Monster House and thinking of all those movies like that...

Perhaps have

Normal = seeing anywhere inside the building

Low Satiety = haunting-esque telekinesis within the house

Expenditure = Merging truly into the house?
                      Sounds like a Nightmare.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
                      The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
                      Female pronouns, please.

Comment

• Originally posted by ArcaneArts View Post
                        Sounds like a Nightmare.
                        Really? Nightmares are usually mental effects on a particular person. How does that fit into a Nightmare?

Comment

How does that fit into a Nightmare?
                          "An application of Lair Traits" might be a better comparison, but still.

"How does that fit into an Atavism?" is a legitimate question I have about at least half the proposed abilities in this thread; these are the monstrous and iconic powers of nightmare-beings whose roots precede architecture and whose cosmological shadows touch most every part of the supernatural world.

We have a wealth of perceptual and environmental Atavisms and Lair Traits that accomplish a decent chunk of Demon House-esque traits by simple virtue of how the seed locations for Chambers work.

Resident Lore-Hound
                          Currently Consuming: Hunter: the Vigil 1e

Comment

• Jaws Of The Earth (Makara)
                            Humans often take the company of each other and their freedom of movement for granted. But in their darkest nightmares, many of them suffer harrowing visions of being trapped with no hope of talking to anyone or ever getting out. The Makara embody this terror all too well, and seek to inflict it upon the unwary.

Normal Satiety: The Beast can sink into the earth as a reflexive action. While submerged, she is inside a roughly spherical and stable opening in the soil, which moves with her. This opening is approximately the same size as her, enveloping her like a large coffin. She can move around normally, and she doesn’t have to actually dig, as she commands the earth to transport her. She moves at her normal Speed, and can feel the vibrations around her to determine the direction and distance of objects and living beings. She can feel vibrations across [Lair x 25] meters in all directions. She can carry small objects with her, but not living beings. She adds her Lair to Survival rolls while underground, and is immune to the Suffocated Tilt and others like it.

Low Satiety: While underground, the Beast gains Rote Quality on Survival rolls and adds [Lair x 5] to her Speed. She also has greater control over the shape of the earth around her, allowing the creation of hiding spots, tunnel networks and traps. Roll [highest between Wits and Dexterity] + Survival as an Instant Action. This creates a Safe Place with a rating equal to (10 - Satiety at the time of the roll), a Size of up to [Lair x 10] and which lasts for [Lair] days on a Success or [Lair] weeks on an Exceptional Success. She can have as many such Safe Places as she wants, but they collapse over time if not maintained or stabilized somehow.

If including traps, anyone who Fails a relevant roll that is penalized by the rating of the Safe Places suffers [Lair] in Lethal damage. A Dramatic Failure also inflicts the Immobilized Tilt. Furthermore, she can now drag living beings down with her via Grapples (this can be enhanced with abilities like Cyclopean Strength). In each turn the target is restrained, she can move up to her full Speed, usually dragging the victim down. Beasts often do this to get rid of undesired evidence and people, or just temporarily trap someone to feed her Hunger.

Satiety Expenditure: The Beast makes the earth devour her enemies, sending them into a prison of oblivion. If her Satiety is normal, she can only affect up to [Lair] targets who are immediately above her. If her Satiety is Low, she can affect any and all characters within her Safe Places. Victims can sense the earth shaking and may roll Dexterity + Athletics - Lair to avoid sinking. Those who Fail the roll aren't just submerged into the soil: they are lost inside a dark void where no one can hear them scream and there is no sensory input except for the terrified beating of their own hearts.

They are trapped for [Lair] in days if Satiety is Normal, or [Lair] weeks if Satiety is Low. The Beast can willingly release them, or they can attempt to escape on their own through an Extended Action that is akin to Meditation and uses the same dice pool. The Extended Action is penalized by [Lair/2 round up], requires [Lair x 3] Successes and each roll takes an hour (although the perception of time is certainly twisted beyond belief). Every Failure on this Extended Action causes 1 Aggravated damage, as the void hungers and crushes the victim slowly and painfully. This experience is always a Breaking Point for Integrity. Supernatural attempts to escape or even communicate with the outside world trigger a Clash Of Wills.
                            Last edited by GibberingEloquence; 05-29-2019, 12:32 AM.

Let Him Speak.

Comment

• Originally posted by GibberingEloquence View Post
                              Since the Leviathans are Nightmares of the Depths, and being buried alive is certainly horrifying, I thought it would be very fitting to make an Atavism for that. Feedback is appreciated. I personally feel that mortals and most supernaturals would have little chance of escaping, especially considering the Birthright of the Makara, so any tips for that would be great. The Suffocation Tilt comes from here.
                              Well, this is interesting

Skimming through it, this seems like a pretty solid Makara Atavism.

"My Homebrew Hub"
                              Age of Azar
                              The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

• Thanks for the compliment, Deionscribe. Do you have any tips on how to make it more balanced? I'm thinking about giving it a contested dice pool, but I don't know that would work. The Beast would probably use Stamina + Athletics or Survival.

I also considered an Ovipositor Atavism for the Namtaru, but that could be better represented with Basilisk's Touch + All Your Teeth Are Falling Out + Bugs Everywhere, right? Or Bugs Inside You, rather.

Let Him Speak.

Comment

Working...
                                X