Other Atavism Ideas?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by GibberingEloquence View Post
    Thanks for the compliment, Deionscribe. Do you have any tips on how to make it more balanced? I'm thinking about giving it a contested dice pool, but I don't know that would work. The Beast would probably use Stamina + Athletics or Survival.

I also considered an Ovipositor Atavism for the Namtaru, but that could be better represented with Basilisk's Touch + All Your Teeth Are Falling Out + Bugs Everywhere, right? Or Bugs Inside You, rather.
    To be honest, it sounds more like a Nightmare than an Atavism to me.

Comment

• Originally posted by GibberingEloquence View Post
      Thanks for the compliment, Deionscribe. Do you have any tips on how to make it more balanced? I'm thinking about giving it a contested dice pool, but I don't know that would work. The Beast would probably use Stamina + Athletics or Survival.
      Hmm. Not yet.

Originally posted by GibberingEloquence View Post
      I also considered an Ovipositor Atavism for the Namtaru, but that could be better represented with Basilisk's Touch + All Your Teeth Are Falling Out + Bugs Everywhere, right? Or Bugs Inside You, rather.
      Yeah. That seems right.

"My Homebrew Hub"
      Age of Azar
      The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

• I'm thinking of some sort of "organic missile" Atavism, mostly because I want to play a Namtaru who can shoot maggot-missiles out of her skin. I realized probably the best way to do it is to make a basic "missile" atavism that could be fluffed as manifesting in various ways. So, an Ugallu might shoot razor-sharp feathers, an earth-elemental Anakim might fire boulders from his skin, and so on.

Comment

• Originally posted by Geckopirateship View Post
          I'm thinking of some sort of "organic missile" Atavism, mostly because I want to play a Namtaru who can shoot maggot-missiles out of her skin. I realized probably the best way to do it is to make a basic "missile" atavism that could be fluffed as manifesting in various ways. So, an Ugallu might shoot razor-sharp feathers, an earth-elemental Anakim might fire boulders from his skin, and so on.
          Could make something like this:

Manticore's spines

Action: Reflexive

Normal Effect: The Beast can shoot projectiles generated by her Horror at a target in range (Strength+Dexterity+Athletics), doubled for medium range, and doubled again for long range.
          This counts as a ranged attack with a thrown weapon and requires a roll of Dexterity + Athletics – the opponent’s Defense. Damage is lethal and adds the Beast’s Stamina as a weapon modifier.

Low Satiety: The projectiles become aerodynamic, doubling their range.

Satiety Expenditure: For the rest of the scene, the Beast can apply the Immobilized Tilt to his opponent after any single attack inflicts more damage than the target’s Stamina as the projectiles pin the target to the ground or the walls.

I stand with the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe against the North Dakota Access Pipeline https://www.facebook.com/ajplusengli...0139732127536/
          Please sign the petition: https://t.co/42VMYy7WzA

Comment

• I love it! I kind of pictured a homing effect, but that's perfectly fine too.

Comment

• Also, could someone point me to the Beast homebrew folder mentioned earlier in the thread?

Comment

• Originally posted by Geckopirateship View Post
                Also, could someone point me to the Beast homebrew folder mentioned earlier in the thread?
                Here's a link to the folder. It's in another thread as well, but that's hidden somewhere in the depths of the forums.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9...VdETVZ0XzZoTFk

If there's any problems with it, just tell me.

Comment

• Is it working OK?

Comment

• Yep, thank you!

Comment

• Originally posted by ajf115 View Post
                      Here's another Atavism. I know it's a little close to Cavernous Maw but I thought I'd focus more on the Jonah-and-the-Whale type thing.
                      So, I was kicking this around, too, and I came up with something that's CLOSE to what both Cavernous Maw and your version of All-Consumning offered, but with a more strict focus on that 'swallowed whole by a monster of the deep' story archetype. That is, the terror of these tales comes from being SWALLOWED rather than eaten, a fine but important distinction where the latter necessarily includes something like nourishment, an aspect quite absent from what the Hunger of the Begotten is. Look at it this way: The dragon (or volcano or Cetus or what-have-you) doesn't need to be offered virgins because they're high in B vitamins and low in 'bad' cholesterol. No, the monster eats to fulfill something far more primal than sustenance, and the wild sea hungers for men (read: people), ships, cities, whatever it is that can be lost in waves. Things like chewing and digesting are NOT important, and in fact many such myths include a moment where whatever had been lost is found either spat out or – in the versions that send chills down the spines of Beasts – found when the creature's gullet is sliced open, whole and undigested in many cases.

Now, please know that *I* know that this IS a kinda powerful Atavism, but I feel that the built-in risk of having all that's swallowed dropped directly into the Beast's Lair more than makes up for the somewhat overpowered feel. Of course, DO let me know if you disagree!

And now, I give you my version...

All-Consuming (Makara)

The sea hungers, a fact known to all peoples who live nearby. Even those close to rivers and lakes know that ability of water to swallow men, ships, even whole villages whole. Sometimes the water gives back what it takes, but this rarely comes without a price. Jonah’s escape from the whale and Odysseus’ escape from Scylla and Charybdis give people hope, but tales of Yacu-mama of the Amazon and the Maori stories of Taniwha spirits show that respect and fear are often a better response to all consuming waters.

Action: Instant

Dice Pool: N/A

Normal Effect: The Beast has the ability to swallow anything of a Size equal to or less than his (Size + Lair) with no ill effects. The Beast may attempt to swallow a living creature only so long as it is unable to fight back (e.g. incapacitated, unconscious, successfully grappled in combat). The Beast takes a full turn to swallow something, which is transported directly to the Beast’s Lair – player chooses which chamber – and while the act of swallowing does no damage to the target, the act of swallowing does not confer any special protections from the Lair Traits.

Note that once the target is swallowed, the Beast receives no special ability to monitor what occurs within his Lair, making this a risky proposition for some targets.

Low Satiety: The Beast’s growing hunger allows him to swallow anything as Normal but add (10 – Satiety) to the Size limits, allowing for very powerful Makara to emulate even the feats of great mythical Leviathans.

Satiety Expenditure: With the expenditure of a point of Satiety, the Beast may spend a turn to ‘vomit up’ anything swallowed using this ability. As with swallowing, the act of disgorging the target does no damage, but the target will appear in whatever state was imposed by the Beast’s Lair. Further, supernatural targets may resist being ejected from the Lair by rolling Stamina + Supernatural Tolerance (contested by the Beast’s Strength + Lair), but few individuals would choose to remain alone in the home of the Beast’s Horror.

B.I.G. Bird spreads the word: Anybody with a heart votes love

Comment

• I want All-Consuming so very badly. I'm not sure if that's a good thing, however. It is just oh so very useful and more convenient than opening a Primordial Pathway if I want to satisfy my Hunger on someone inside my Lair. But I'm not sure if that's proper for the game.

Revlid wrote:
                        Yes, hollowing out your humanity to become an utterly utilitarian asura is the exact suggestion I would expect from you, Aiden.

Comment

• Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post
                          So I've been pondering other potential Atavisms for Beasts. Obviously the set we've got are very broad and cover a lot of potential Horror morphologies and associated powers. That said, I think I've got at least two more, so I'd like to land the other three minimum...

- One for having additional fanged mouths/thorns/sharp scales/razor pinions/etc so that contact with your body causes damage. I think Eshmaki.

That made me think of monsters that are harmful to be attacked, like the Xenomorph.
                          So here's an attempt:

Revengeance (Anakim)

Sometimes, a monster is so powerful, simply attacking it means sacrifice: the hero manages to wound the Basilisk, but its blood poisoned him. When the demigod stroke at the Golem, its skin shattered the blessed blade. The Chosen One subdued the Phoenix, but was burned to ash. In short, there is no hope of defeating it and life to tell the tale. Whether the skin burns, is covered with scales that scratch open or thorns that pierce flesh, the Beast has a natural defense mechanism that is not meant to protect him, but rather harm those that seek to harm him.

Action: Persistent or Reflexive (Satiety Expenditure)

Dice Pool: Recieved Damage + Lair; 1/2 * [Supernatural Armor + Lair] (Satiety Expenditure)

Normal Effect: The Beast looks normal, however, when attacked, his skin feels hard like stone, strangely pricklish, or attacks seem to hit at a wrong angle all the time.
                          Whenever the Beast suffers a wound (1 bashing or more) from a Brawl attack, roll Received Damage + Lair to determine how much bashing damage the attacker receives due to hurting himself through scalding/scratching/cracking. Dealing more bashing damage than the attacker's Stamina inflicts the Arm or Leg Wrack tilt (whichever is more appropriate).

Low Satiety: As the Horror grows hungry, the Beast's skin gets coarser, the hair on his arm hard enough to catch blades, or his blood simply caustic enough to affect metal and other materials.
                          When the Beast suffers damage due to a Weaponry attack, roll Received Damage + Lair to determine how much damage the weapon takes. Any time more successes are accumulated than the weapon's (Size + Strength) / 2 rounded up, the weapon modifier is reduced by 1.
                          This is in addition to the normal effect.

Satiety Expenditure: The Beast calls the Horror's defensive nature down into itself, causing weapons to slowly melt or limbs to be rend asunder when they get stabbed by (to mortal eyes) invisible thorns.
                          Upon spending Satiety, roll 1/2 *(Supernatural Armor + Lair) rounded up. For the next scene, whenever the Beast is attacked, the result is dealt as lethal damage to all brawling attacks and accumulated to penalize weapons. Projectiles negated by armor ricochet and deal their damage in bashing to the person standing closest to the Beast.
                          This is in addition to the Low Satiety effect.

Thoughts? I have no idea if this isn't too imbalanced or too weak tbh. I like the general idea, however and would like your help =)

Comment

• Originally posted by ZealousChristian24 View Post
                            So, I noticed that there was relatively little space directed to interacting with the Ephemeral, in the 1st draft, at least. So, I figured I'd put together my first Atavism. Tell me what you think and how much of it is trash, if you have the time?

WHAT WALKS BETWEEN (Makara)
                            It comforts many humans to believe that the world their paltry senses can see is the only one. When the things that lurk beyond the veil reach out to menace them, they cannot comprehend what is happening in the seconds it takes to be destroyed. You, on the other hand, extend beyond this state of being, a serpent whose coils trail away under the surface into the realm of ephemeral.*

Action:Reflexive

Normal Effect:The Beast may attune themselves to the strange state of existence occultists call Twilight, allowing them to see and hear(and be seen and heard by) the ephemeral beings that exist within, not limited by any particular "frequency". Splitting their senses like this, however, makes it harder to focus on the world around them, however, and imposes a -2 penalty to Perception rolls.

Low Satiety:A hungering Leviathan finds the fetters limiting them to but one state of being fading, allowing for a more perfect quantum duality. The Begotten no longer suffers a penalty to Perception rolls, and may interact with objects and beings in both solid reality and in Twilight as if he were in the appropriate state of existence. The Child may not turn this effect off, of course, leaving him just as vulnerable to the attacks of others as they are to him.

Satiety Expenditure: The immense potency of the Beast's Horror exerts itself on the unfleshed entities around him, a world-spanning gravity that bends*ephemeral beings to their will. The Begotten gains an Honorary Rank equal to (10 - [Satiety], to a maximum of 5) for the rest of the scene. As normal for*Honorary Rank, the Beast counts as a Bane for any*ephemeral with a Rank two less than theirs, and they also gain a number of dice against such beings with a lower Rank as if comparing Status. Neither of these effects work against Angels or beings otherwise of the God-Machine. If a character is in a Chamber (whether in their Lair or the area they copied), they add two to their Rank for the purpose of acting as a Bane.
                            Sorry for replying to this after so much time has passed, but let me say I liked this. I would change the Satiety Expenditure effect so that it's less trivial to have an Honorary Rank of 5. Perhaps make the Honorary Rank equal to Lair, with each dot of Honorary Rank above 5 granting 2 dots worth of Social Merits related to spirits and/or ghosts?

Let Him Speak.

Comment

• So, with ArchonAres feedback, here's his reworked Revengeance:

Taking You with Me (Anakim)

Sometimes, a monster is so powerful, simply attacking it means sacrifice: the hero manages to wound the Basilisk, but its blood poisoned him. When the demigod stroke at the Golem, its skin shattered the blessed blade. The Chosen One subdued the Phoenix, but was burned to ash. In short, there is no hope of defeating it and life to tell the tale. Whether the skin burns, is covered with scales that scratch open or thorns that pierce flesh, the Beast has a natural defense mechanism that is not meant to protect him, but rather harm those that seek to harm him.

Action: Persistent (Reflexive on Satiety Expenditure)

Normal Effect: When the Beast suffers at least 1L from a melee attack, he may return his Lair in Bashing damage.

Low Satiety: As the Horror grows hungry, it's defenses harden: Any melee attack against the Horror dealing 1Lethal or more now returns [Lair] Lethal damage. If a weapon was used, it takes the damage instead.

Satiety Expenditure: As above, but ignores the weapon's structure and deals [2*Lair] Lethal Damage for the remainder of the scene.
                              Last edited by Wormwood; 01-06-2017, 07:55 AM.

Comment

• Weave Cocoon (Eshmaki)

Normal Satiety: Through some conduit on the body (wrists, mouth, rear, est), the Beast is capable of secreting an adhesive resin which quickly dries upon exposure to the atmosphere. This resin can be used as a restraint to bind, blind, or gag a victim after initiating a successful grapple. Weave Cocoon's durability is equal to the Beast's Lair rating. The adhesive's consistency starts to rapidly break down in sunlight, losing 1 point of durability for each round of exposure. When durability is reduced to zero, the resin crumbles and flakes off like dirt.

Low Satiety:The Beast no longer needs to initiate a grapple to their ensnare their victim. They can now fire their resin like a projectile with an effective range in yards equal to their Lair rating.

Satiety Expenditure: The Beast is able to produce traps in advance by secreting large quantities of resin around the environment. Those who come into contact with an area coated in their resin are in danger of being snared, even if the Beast is not presently there. Each point of Satiety used in this fashion allows the Beast to produce a patch of resin measuring 3 yards in radius.

Comment

Working...
                                X