No announcement yet.

Other Atavism Ideas?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here's my first addition in a long time to this thread.

Endless Depths [Makara]
    Dice Pool: Wits + Intelligence (Satiety Expenditure)
    Action: Reflexive
    Like the ocean, some Leviathans have minds so expansive that any and all attempts to influence them are futile. Their Horrors are cthonic creatures whose thoughts and emotions cannot be comprehended by lesser beings. Most who try end up breaking from the experience.

Normal Effect: The Beast's mind is a multi-layered edifice that is difficult to penetrate. He inflicts a penalty equal to his Lair on all Mental and Social rolls made to influence him. If he is affected through the use of supernatural powers, he may trigger a Clash of Wills.

Low Satiety: As his Hunger rises to the forefront of his thoughts, the Beast can repel even supernatural attempts to penetrate the depths of his mind. When targeted by a power that would influence his mind or emotions, he rolls for a Clash of Wills with the 8-Again quality. If he scores an exceptional success, he may inflict the Addicted Condition on the opposing character, tied to an action resonant with his Hunger.

Satiety Expenditure: By spending a dot of Satiety, the Beast can overwhelm an intruding mind with the full force of his own. The afflicted character receives the Broken Condition, which cannot be resolved for a number of days equal to successes scored.
    Last edited by Deionscribe; 01-17-2017, 10:36 AM. Reason: Updated the Normal and Low Satiety Effects.

"My Homebrew Hub"
    Age of Azar
    The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

• Originally posted by Deionscribe View Post
      Here's my first addition in a long time to this thread.

Endless Depths [Makara]
      Like the ocean, some Leviathans have minds so expansive that any and all attempts to influence them are futile. Their Horrors are cthonic creatures whose thoughts and emotions cannot be comprehended by lesser beings. Most who try end up breaking from the experience.

Normal Effect: The Beast's mind is a multi-layered edifice that is difficult to penetrate. He inflicts a penalty equal to his Lair on all supernatural powers which would target his mind or emotions. Furthermore, he benefits from the 8-Again rule on all Clash of Wills involving such abilities.

Low Satiety: As his Hunger rises to the forefront of his thoughts, the Beast can inflict an echo of it upon those who would dare intrude on his thoughts. Whenever a character attempts to mentally or emotionally influence him, he must make a reflexive Resolve + Composure roll. On a Failure, he gains the Addicted Condition tied to an addiction related to the Beast's Hunger.

Satiety Expenditure: By spending a dot of Satiety, the Beast can overwhelm an intruding mind with the full force of his own. The afflicted character receives the Broken Condition, which cannot be resolved for a number of days equal to successes scored.
      On the one hand I like this - however I think that this would be better if it had some kind of benefit against things besides just the supernatural. Maybe if it gave the penalty to all attempts (or simply mundane, if too powerful) to influence his mind or emotions, and caused a clash when someone supernaturally made the attempt (with the 8-again, if you desire - though off hand I can't think of what powers a Beast has that cause a clash when someone targets them emotionally or mentally, so having the atavism itself cause a clash seems beneficial?).
      Last edited by Jakondite; 01-13-2017, 11:17 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jakondite View Post
        On the one hand I like this - however I think that this would be better if it had some kind of benefit against things besides just the supernatural. Maybe if it gave the penalty to all attempts (or simply mundane, if too powerful) to influence his mind or emotions, and caused a clash when someone supernaturally made the attempt (with the 8-again, if you desire - though off hand I can't think of what powers a Beast has that cause a clash when someone targets them emotionally or mentally, so having the atavism itself cause a clash seems beneficial?).
        Hmm. I suppose extending it to mundane attempts wouldn't hurt. How is this, then?

-=-

Normal Effect: The Beast's mind is a multi-layered edifice that is difficult to penetrate. He inflicts a penalty equal to his Lair on all rolls made to influence his mind or emotions. If he is being affected by supernatural powers, he may roll for a Clash of Wills with the 8-Again quality.
        Last edited by Deionscribe; 01-13-2017, 11:31 AM.

"My Homebrew Hub"
        Age of Azar
        The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

Here's my first addition in a long time to this thread.

Endless Depths [Makara]

Normal Effect: The Beast's mind is a multi-layered edifice that is difficult to penetrate. He inflicts a penalty equal to his Lair on all supernatural powers which would target his mind or emotions. Furthermore, he benefits from the 8-Again rule on all Clash of Wills involving such abilities.

Low Satiety: As his Hunger rises to the forefront of his thoughts, the Beast can inflict an echo of it upon those who would dare intrude on his thoughts. Whenever a character attempts to mentally or emotionally influence him, he must make a reflexive Resolve + Composure roll. On a Failure, he gains the Addicted Condition tied to an addiction related to the Beast's Hunger.

A very obvious conceptual problem with this one: Its Normal effect is directly against the spirit of how Gorged works. There's a reason Mimir's Wisdom only makes the character aware that their mind has been tampered with.

Moving it to either other category would help, but as it stands this is a "why would you not take this?" power that lets you directly ignore the entire negative aspect of one of the game's primary Persistent Conditions.
          Last edited by Satchel; 01-13-2017, 01:17 PM.

Resident Lore-Hound
          Currently Consuming: Hunter: the Vigil 1e

Comment

Hmm. I suppose extending it to mundane attempts wouldn't hurt. How is this, then?

-=-

Normal Effect: The Beast's mind is a multi-layered edifice that is difficult to penetrate. He inflicts a penalty equal to his Lair on all rolls made to influence his mind or emotions. If he is being affected by supernatural powers, he may roll for a Clash of Wills with the 8-Again quality.

I think its better. I may use a modified version of this for my own works *G*

Comment

• Breath of Winter:

Not all monsters exhale gouts of flame to incinerate their foes. Indeed, there are many elemental powers attributed to monsters throughout human mythology. When a Beast draws upon this atavism, they can exhale a blast of frigid air which covers anything it comes into contact with in a lair of frost and snow. Mechanically, Breath of Winter has the same range and damage potential as Dragonfire, but is associated with ice instead of fire. Additionally, the Beast becomes immune to the harmful effects of sub-zero temperatures upon obtaining this Atavism.

Normal Effect: After taking a sharp inhale of air, the Beast forcefully exhales a wave of northern frost with a range of 5 / 10 / 15. This counts as a ranged attack with a thrown weapon and requires Dexterity + Athletics - the opponent's Defense. Damage is Lethal and adds the Beast's lair dots as a weapon modifier. Exposed materials become caked in a lair of frost, which can make the environment slippery for those who aren't properly equipped to deal with it.

Low Satiety: The Beast steadies their breathing an exhales a prolonged blast of cold air which can be swept across the area, chilling multiple targets or coating the surrounding environment in thick frost

Satiety Expenditure: The Beast's breath can chill not just the body, but penetrates their very soul with the frigid kiss of death. Breath of Winter used in this manner has double its normal range and inflicts aggravated damage. The blast ignores durability up to the Beast's lair dots, in addition to the Low satiety effects. As a theatrical touch, anything killed or destroyed by this effect is instantly flash frozen and shatters like glass from a solid impact.

Comment

• I like the concept of end less depths a lot, but is it just me or is 8 - again on defending against all social or mental supernatural manipulation incredibly overpowered for 3-4 xp? As a normal, and thus constant, effect?
                Having it apply to both supernatural and mundane attempts Also Seems Too nuch.
                How about a [Lair] penalty on social/mental manipulation as normal, on low you get to roll wits+composure on 9 - again against supernatural powers, and on a success they fail and need to roll wits+composure themselves to resist the depths. If they fail, they get addicted.
                Original Sat.expend. seems fine to me though.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wormwood View Post
                  I like the concept of end less depths a lot, but is it just me or is 8 - again on defending against all social or mental supernatural manipulation incredibly overpowered for 3-4 xp? As a normal, and thus constant, effect?
                  Having it apply to both supernatural and mundane attempts Also Seems Too nuch.
                  How about a [Lair] penalty on social/mental manipulation as normal, on low you get to roll wits+composure on 9 - again against supernatural powers, and on a success they fail and need to roll wits+composure themselves to resist the depths. If they fail, they get addicted.
                  Original Sat.expend. seems fine to me though.
                  So, it would be more like this?

-=-

Normal Effect: The Beast's mind is a multi-layered edifice that is difficult to penetrate. He inflicts a penalty equal to his Lair on all Mental and Social rolls made to influence him. If he is affected through the use of supernatural powers, he may trigger a Clash of Wills.

Low Satiety: As his Hunger rises to the forefront of his thoughts, the Beast can repel even supernatural attempts to penetrate the depths of his mind. When targeted by a power that would influence his mind or emotions, he rolls for a Clash of Wills with the 8-Again quality. If he scores an exceptional success, he may inflict the Addicted Condition on the opposing character, tied to an action resonant with his Hunger.
                  Last edited by Deionscribe; 01-16-2017, 11:52 AM.

"My Homebrew Hub"
                  Age of Azar
                  The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

• Pretty much, yeah!

I still think 8-again is bit much, but that's personal taste I suppose.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wormwood View Post
                      Pretty much, yeah!

I still think 8-again is bit much, but that's personal taste I suppose.
                      Well, I'll go with these updated descriptions, then.

"My Homebrew Hub"
                      Age of Azar
                      The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

• Malicious Winds (Ugallu) (ooo)
                        Prerequisites: Beast
                        Strong lungs, powerful wings - whatever the means, the Beast commands its own airspace. Heroes and other enemies trying to hurt it from afar come to find their attempts at her life swatted away like some sort of annoying fly.
                        Roll: None (Normal Effect), Strength + Athletics (Satiety Expenditure Effect)
                        Effect: Currents of air throw bullets off-balance, redirecting them just so the Beast can evade them: As long as the Beast is aware of an attack with firearms or other ranged weaponry, she can apply her defense.
                        Low Satiety: The currents run counter to the bullet's direction, slowing them down: the Beast gain Bulletproof Armor equal to half its Lair rounded up.
                        Satiety Expenditure: Reflexively, the Beast can spent one Satiety to unleash a Jet Stream, dealing damage with a Weapon Modifier of + [Lair] Lethal.
                        Last edited by Wormwood; 02-17-2017, 07:49 AM. Reason: Forgot the Family

Comment

• Forgive the doublepost.

would love some feedback on this one:

Swarm Host (Namtaru)
                          Not all Beasts are just one creature, and while some are a multitude of beings with equal standing, others are made up of few with differing importance: one central intelligence, a Hive Queen or Pack Alpha, and up to a dozen drones toiling away to her benefit.
                          Similarly, the Beast can produce small parasitic creatures (be they insectoid, crustacean, reptilian, piscean, cephalopodian, lovecraftian or something else entirely) to do her bidding via throwing them up, shooting them out of her armwrist or releasing them from sickening holes in her body.

Normal Effect: The Beast slugs a parasite at his target. This can happen through spitting it at him or her, for example.
                          Upon a succesful Dext+Athletics roll, the parasite burrows into their flesh, causing the Sick or Bleeding Tilt (player's choice). Additionally, the Beast may cause the parasite to explode, causing a muscle spasm and pain - as a reflexive action, the parasite deals 1/2 [Lair] Bashing damage rounded up, and causes a penalty of -1 to any current action. This is cumulative for multiple parasites. The parasite lives for [10-Satiety] turns. This parasite can only be percieved by those that see the Beast's Horror.
                          Low Satiety Effect: The Horror's hunger drives the parasites to the fore, causing them to twist under the skin beneath the Beast's prefered release point. Here, the skin is thin and stretchable, likely to have tiny holes to let the parasites through.
                          When attacking, instead of a small parasite, the player produces a Size 1 creature that deals +1/2[Lair] rounded up Lethal as a weapon modifier upon impact. Additionally, it lives for Lair turns, able to attack the target by itself. The Beast can control them, however complex orders take a reflexive action ("Attack this target" doesn't take away an action; "Hide and attack once they try to run" does).
                          Targets that cannot see the Beast's Horror still are able to percieve the parasite once it hits them, which can leave them reminded of old witch stories that summoned up vermin out of thin air.
                          Satiety Expenditure: The Beast's skin twitches and moves as tears open to let out [2+Lair] Size 1 low Sateity parasites that live for a scene. Additionally, these parasites gain 1/2 Lair merit points rounded up to purchase merits (e.g. Iron Skin). The player must decide on which he wants when acquiring the merit point. Once chosen, those are set.

Low Satiety Parasites have the following stats:

Mental Attributes: Intelligence 1, Wits 2, Resolve 1
                          Physical Attributes: Strength 2, Dexterity 3, Stamina 2
                          Social Attributes: Presence 1, Manipulation 0, Composure 2
                          Skills: Brawl 3 (Biting)
                          Merits: Fleet of Foot 3
                          Willpower: 3
                          Size: 1
                          Initiative: 5
                          Defense: 2
                          Armor: 0/0
                          Speed: 10 (Species Factor 6)
                          Health: 3

Dread Powers

Fearless: Parasites are immune to coercion or intimidation.

Natural Weapons: Parasites have strong mandibles, able to cut through flesh with ease. Their attacks have a +0L modifier. Additionally, they are armor-piercing, ignoring 1 Armor. The parasites do not need to establish a grapple to bite.

Comment

• They Were Just There (Eshmaki)

Some legends tell of monsters who could appear and vanish in the blink of an eye, leaving their enemies (and their victims) in dazed confusion, wondering where the next strike would come from. Beasts who possess this atavism are capable of emulating these legends, to move through the world unseen!

Normal Effect: The Beast is naturally adept at moving seamlessly through the environment. Their foot steps are softened, their colors muted, their breathing steadied, their emotions tranquil, and their features difficult to memorize. As a result, the Beast gains a bonus of +2 on Stealth and Athletics rolls.

Low Satiety Effect: The frustration of hunger pains encourages the Beast to pick up the pace and act with greater agility than would normally be possible. At this state, the Beast gains an additional +1 to Stealth and Athletics rolls.

Satiety Expenditure: With a surge of preternatural speed, the Beast vanishes from where they were standing and appears someplace else, as if they had teleported between locations. The speed at which they travel is so fast, that the Beast can sprint and act at the same time! The maximum distance the Beast can travel in this manner is determined by how far they can Sprint in a single turn.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nyrufa View Post
                              They Were Just There (Eshmaki)

Some legends tell of monsters who could appear and vanish in the blink of an eye, leaving their enemies (and their victims) in dazed confusion, wondering where the next strike would come from. Beasts who possess this atavism are capable of emulating these legends, to move through the world unseen!

Normal Effect: The Beast is naturally adept at moving seamlessly through the environment. Their foot steps are softened, their colors muted, their breathing steadied, their emotions tranquil, and their features difficult to memorize. As a result, the Beast gains a bonus of +2 on Stealth and Athletics rolls.

Low Satiety Effect: The frustration of hunger pains encourages the Beast to pick up the pace and act with greater agility than would normally be possible. At this state, the Beast gains an additional +1 to Stealth and Athletics rolls.

Satiety Expenditure: With a surge of preternatural speed, the Beast vanishes from where they were standing and appears someplace else, as if they had teleported between locations. The speed at which they travel is so fast, that the Beast can sprint and act at the same time! The maximum distance the Beast can travel in this manner is determined by how far they can Sprint in a single turn.
                              I feel like there is a lot of overlap, mechanically and thematically, with From the Shadows. Liking the idea of a movement atavism on sat Expenditure though.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nyrufa View Post
                                They Were Just There (Eshmaki)

​Seconding Wormwood here, Ii can't help but feel that this overlaps with From The Shadows, as well as some of the Atavisms earlier in this thread - specifically In The Blink Of An Eye and the one I forget the name of, something like Unrelenting or similar.

Comment

Working...
                                X