No announcement yet.

Other Atavism Ideas?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I really wanted another movement-related atavism, and considered that we don't have much in regards to Dexterity.
    How about this?
    Spider's Feet (Eshmaki)
    Unlike some Beasts who tear down everything in their path to get at their prey, or others who strike from the shadows, this one simply comes closer, nothing you threw in their way stopping their advance. Some creatures leave no traces of their passing except those of their chosing.

Normal Effect: The Beast is nimble, and light on it's feet: he gains the effects of the Ambidextrous Merit and in addition, adds his Lair dots to his defence and subtracts them from Environmental Penalties. This advantage stacks with the Parkour Merit.
    Low Satiety Effect: The Horror's hunger sharpens motoric control: Athletic, Larceny and Stealth related actions benefit from 8-again, and his feet are so light that he can run on snow without leaving a footprint.
    Satiety Expenditure: By spending a point of Satiety, the Beast's limbs become absolutely still and capable of the tiniest movements: Add his Lair as automatic successes to all actions related to Dexterity for the remainder of the scene. In addition, the Beast can cross small bodies of water by running over the surface for 2x[Lair] turns, before gravity takes its due and he submerges.

Comment

• Yeah, just went back and read From the Shadows. Didn't realize how close the two of them were.

Comment

• Ok, i need a homebrew atavism for a player.
        She is a Mothra (Ugallu) and she REALLY want the Mothra ray.
        The Mothra ray disintegrates the target and of course i will not let this happen.
        But, i can make a ray that have a condition that represents bot the disintegration and the Ugallu, something that weaken the defenses of the enemy. So maybe a ray that give some damage and put a condition that the victim will reduce the defense dices?
        What you think?

Comment

• Also, even being the narrator i will have a "PC" (because we will keep the characters but will change who will be the narrator between chronicles)
          I am thinking in a Anakim that shackle the victim souls, making the victim fell small and hopelessness. He would use social and mental traits do this.
          But i would like two atavism.

1) a atavism that put a psychological condition to represent a broken soul OR a atavism that make easer to break the target mind
          2) a atavism that can reduce 1 point of will power of the target

Comment

• Originally posted by draxdeveloper View Post
            Ok, i need a homebrew atavism for a player.
            She is a Mothra (Ugallu) and she REALLY want the Mothra ray.
            The Mothra ray disintegrates the target and of course i will not let this happen.
            But, i can make a ray that have a condition that represents bot the disintegration and the Ugallu, something that weaken the defenses of the enemy. So maybe a ray that give some damage and put a condition that the victim will reduce the defense dices?
            What you think?

Honestly were it my table I'd just use the Nightmare that I'm forgetting the name of that can be used to cover the Medusa stone-effect, and just have "if it kills the target they disintegrate"

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

• The dragonfire atavism can be reskinned pretty easily for other types of damage. Instead of setting things on fire you could have it decrease the durability of objects, but the dicepool should work as is.

Comment

• Originally posted by HelmsDerp View Post
                The dragonfire atavism can be reskinned pretty easily for other types of damage. Instead of setting things on fire you could have it decrease the durability of objects, but the dicepool should work as is.
                this exactly what i was thinking, but how would work the durability part? How this could help in the middle of a combat?

Comment

• Lowering durability makes it easier to destroy weapons and armor

Comment

• Originally posted by Xenorath View Post
                    I tried to make an Atavism to simulate the slow, silent, horror movie slasher walk during a chase scene. How does this look to everyone?

Inescapable [Eshmaki]
                    An Eshmaki on the prowl is always there, breathing down even the fastest victim’s neck. It is the nature of the Beast to not only be stronger or tougher than any mere mortal, but faster too.
                    Dice Pool: N/A
                    Action: Reflexive
                    Normal Effect: No matter how hard a human tries to run, the monster stalking him will always be just one step behind. Add the Beast's Lair to her speed. If she can't be seen by anyone, multiply the higher of the Beast's Strength or Dexterity by her Lair +1 when calculating her speed. The Beast may make Stealth rolls even when moving at full speed.
                    Low Satiety: By abandoning subtlety in exchange for pure speed, the Beast may become truly inescapable. No matter how fast her victim runs or how well he hides, he cannot escape fear. Multiply the higher of the Beast's Strength or Dexterity by her Lair +1 when calculating her speed, even when she is being observed. The Beast also inflicts a penalty equal to half her Lair, rounded up to the Speed, chase rolls, and Stealth rolls of anyone fleeing or hiding from her.
                    Satiety Expenditure: When the Beast pushes herself, she can use her incredible speed for not only offense, but defense as well. By spending a dot of Satiety, the Beast may interrupt an attack aimed at her by moving up to her full speed out of reach, making an attack roll, or by taking any other instant action. This does not allow her to attack twice in one turn. Furthermore, the Beast adds half her Lair rounded up to her Defense for the rest of the scene.

The increase in speed is calculated the way it is so it doesn't get absolutely ridiculous when stacked with Looming Presence.
                    I really like this one, but only now have thought of a Satiety Expenditure Effect that is more to my liking. Please tell me what you think.

Satiety Expenditure: For the rest of the scene, any supernatural attempts to escape from the Beast trigger a Clash Of Wills. If the Beast gets a Success, the opponent is limited to escaping by mundane means for a number of turns equal to Lair. An Exceptional Success extends this limitation to the whole scene.

"Fate is a cruel jester with a finely developed sense of irony." - Sir Night as portrayed by Leliel, The Horror Recognition Guide

Comment

• Originally posted by ajf115 View Post
                      Seconding Wormwood here, Ii can't help but feel that this overlaps with From The Shadows, as well as some of the Atavisms earlier in this thread - specifically In The Blink Of An Eye and the one I forget the name of, something like Unrelenting or similar.
                      You're refereing to Inescapable. I proposed a new Satiety Expenditure effect for it in the post above. Several Atavisms let you do a Clash Of Wills against other supernatural powers, which is something that this Atavism lacked.

"Fate is a cruel jester with a finely developed sense of irony." - Sir Night as portrayed by Leliel, The Horror Recognition Guide

Comment

• made a alternative version to this atavism

ALTERNATIVE Ten Thousand Faces (Eshmaki)

No matter how horrific or vast their foe, little inspires more fear and horror in mankind than a wolf in sheep's clothing. All throughout history, in every culture, there have been tales of malicious shape-shifters, from kitsune to naga to rakshasa, no civilization has forgotten this fear. After all, what is more terrifying than a predator who can not only take your life, wealth and livelihood but your very identity as well?

Action: Instant

Normal: The beast can easily change superficial (but not structural) physical attributes, including the beast voice. This will require no rolls and will persist for (resolve+lair)*2 hours, the beast can change back at any moment, after the change ceases the beast have to wait the same amount of hours to change again.
                        If the beast want to make structural changes, then it need to roll a resolve+composure, the structural change cannot give bonus points on attributes or size. The change will persist for (resolve + lair) hours, with exceptional success the beast can keep for (resolve+lair)*2 hours, in any case, the beast have to wait a day to make another change. The Beast can change the external gender apparency but cannot change any internal organ.
                        If the Beast want to copy another person apparency, it should first observe a target and roll Wits+Subterfuge+2, the Beast can keep this on memory for a whole week, then it’s have to observe again. After gathering info, the beast must roll resolve+composure to keep it.
                        Also, if someone wants to penetrate the disguise must roll against Composure + Lair, even if it’s uses supernatural means to do it.

Low Satiety: As the Beast's hunger grows, so too does the precision with which he can change in the others eyes. Now the beast can even change the natural way that they act.
                        The gestures, ticks, posture. In other words the Beast can change it’s compartmental behavior as if it’s natural to him. To do this first the Beast need to track a behavior with a empathy+wits+2 roll, with a exceptional success the beast will track in a level that even someone intimate to the target would not notice the difference, the captured behavior lasts for a week. If the beast changes it’s behavior without changing it’s apparency then the resolve+composure roll will be needed, if it’s changes the apparency, then it’s just need one resolve+composure roll. the behavior changes can be keep for the same time of the normal effect (so if the Beast change the structure the changes will be dismissed faster)

Satiety Expenditure: With the expenditure of a dot of Satiety, the Beast can temporary add one dot to a attribute or size related to a the changes(the player need to justify it). Since it’s a deeper change, the player can keep it just for a scene. An exceptional success can make this lasts to (composure+lair) scenes or hours (take the one that have less extent).

Comment

• Here's a simplified version of Xenorath's Inescapable that is closer to the canon Atavisms. Feedback is appreciated.

Inescapable [Eshmaki]
                          An Eshmaki on the prowl is always there, breathing down even the fastest victim’s neck. It is the nature of the Beast to not only be stronger or tougher than any mere mortal, but faster too.

Normal Effect: No matter how hard the victim tries to run, the monster stalking him will always be just one step behind. Add the Beast's [Lair x 3] to her Speed. If she can't be seen by anyone (an exception may be made for her broodmates at ST discretion), subtract her Lair from Successes needed to pursue a target in a Chase. The Beast may make Stealth rolls even when moving at full Speed.

Low Satiety: By abandoning subtlety in exchange for pure speed, the Beast may become truly inescapable. No matter how fast her victim runs or how well he hides, he cannot escape fear. Subtract her Lair from Successes needed to pursue a target in a Chase, even when the Beast is being observed. The Beast also gains the Rote Quality on Chase rolls.

Satiety Expenditure: For the rest of the scene, any supernatural attempts to escape from the Beast trigger a Clash Of Wills. The Beast also inflicts a penalty equal to half her Lair (rounded up) to the Speed, Chase rolls, and Stealth rolls of anyone fleeing or hiding from her.
                          Last edited by GibberingEloquence; 03-24-2017, 01:02 PM.

Comment

• Corrosive Blood [Namtaru]

In addition to her iconic power of turning mortals to stone with a gaze, the mythical Gorgon was also said to have blood that was so potently corrosive, mortal weapons would dissolve upon piercing her skin. Beasts with this Atavism share a degree of her legendary power, making ordinary tools and weapons difficult to wield against them. This Atavism offers no protection against the Chosen Blade anathema that heroes might have access to.

Normal Effect: The blood that flows through the Beast's veins contains acidic properties. When taking lethal damage from any weapon, their blood starts to dissolve the foreign object, causing it to suffer 1 point of durability damage each round, unless the blood is thoroughly cleaned from the instrument. Wounds caused by organic substances (such as bare hands, claws, fangs, est) cause the attacker to receive 1 point of Lethal damage from the acid burns.

Low Satiety: The Beast's blood burns in their veins as they yearn for sustenance. Objects that inflict lethal damage upon the Beast suffer an additional +2 durability damage from exposure to the Beast's blood. Organic beings receive an additional +1 Lethal damage from acidic burns if they come into contact with their blood.

Satiety Expenditure: For a brief moment, the Beast can bolster the acidity of their blood to deadly levels. By spending a point of Satiety and receiving at least one point of lethal damage, the Beast's blood inflicts a number of durability damage equal to their Lair upon the offending object! Organic beings receive Aggravated damage from being exposed to the blood and are likely to receive crippling injuries as a result of severe acid burns!
                            Last edited by Nyrufa; 03-24-2017, 05:00 PM.

Comment

• aggravated damage seems a bit much for normal effect

A god is just a monster you kneel to. - ArcaneArts, Quoting "Fall of Gods"

Comment

• Originally posted by Master Aquatosic View Post
                                aggravated damage seems a bit much for normal effect

I was gonna do Lethal damage, but I'm not sure how acid works. I assumed it was similar to fire burns.

Anyways, went back and downgraded Normal and Low effects to lethal. Kept aggravated for satiety expenditure.
                                Last edited by Nyrufa; 03-24-2017, 05:00 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X