Other Atavism Ideas?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mother of monsters (Anakim)
    Like the Titans of old, the beast can spawn blasphemous progeny from her own excessive flesh.
    Normal Satiety: There's something alive in the flesh. The Beast progeny swim free under the skin, and sometimes an imprint of a face or a hand can be seen, slightly pushing the skin. The progeny loves their parent, and won't let her be hurt. Ever vigilant, seeing through the skin, they warn the Beast from every danger. The Beast cannot be surprised, unless the attacker is using a supernatural power of concealment. In this case, the Beast enter a Clash of Will.
    Low Satiety: The progeny under the Beast's skin is hungry too. Hands and faces try to break free from their skin prison, grabbing everything in front of them. The Beast gain a bonus to her grappling equal to her Lair rating.
    Satiety expenditure: One progeny break free from the skin. It take 3 turns to separate from the Beast, but can act on the first turn, moving along the Beast until they completely separate. The progeny is a crude humanoid, and is considered as a Retainer rated Lair/2, and of Size Lair/2. At the end of the scene, the progeny is reabsorbed into the Beast flesh, unless the Beast player spend enough experience for the Retainer Merit.

Once again, not sure if it's balanced, or in this case, even thematic :/ ...

Comment

I like the idea of Mother of Monsters, but I wouldn't do it as an Atavism. I'd rather see a completely separate system for creating animalistic "monsters" born as lesser versions of your own Horror.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post
        Would spinning webs work as an Atavism, or should that just be a Lair Trait (bring webs about to trap prey by calling down Lair)?

I'm making a spidery Ugallu, and was disappointed by the lack of a "climbing" Atavism, so here's my take on this:

Web-Spinner [Ugallu]
        Normal: The Beast can climb any surface, no matter how slick, at their normal Speed. They can even climb upside-down like this!
        Low Satiety: The Beast can climb as though they weigh practically nothing. Even a thin thread will bear their weight. Furthermore, the Beast is immune to all damage from falling as long as it wasn’t a terminal velocity fall.
        Satiety Expenditure: The Beast produces sticky thread from their fingertips or mouth. Each point of Satiety spent creates up to 50 feet of thread. The thread has the following properties:
        • Durability and Structure equal to your Stamina + Lair and will support 100 lbs per point of Structure.
        • May be thrown as an aerodynamic object that sticks to people and objects. Removing the thread is a Strength roll.
        • The Beast may use it as part of a grapple to use the Restrain move without first using the Hold move.
        • It dissolves suddenly and completely after 24 hours, back into the ephemera of the Primordial Dream.
        Last edited by MagicSwordsman; 07-08-2015, 04:46 PM.

Comment

I love the idea, the only reason I'm hesitant with it at all is not every "wall-crawler" should necessarily be a web-spinner. Also needs some note about how long/under what conditions the webs last - since they'll need to dissolve back into the Primordial Dream for the good of the Masquerade/Veil/Whatever.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

I don't know if there's much other room for an interesting Satiety effect with just climbing walls? Possibly increase the weight you can carry while climbing? I'm not sure, it would depend a lot on why the character is a wall-crawler.

As for duration, Scene might be a little short so it should probably just be 24 hours.

Comment

Wing of the Raptor allows wall climbing at low Satiety...

Comment

In one book I read, the blood of a Gorgon was so acidic that it destroyed weapons the moment they pierced their skin, so you needed a magical weapon to harm them. I'd like to see an Atavism based around this, but I'm not sure how to translate it into game mechanics. Maybe the weapon takes durability damage each time it inflicts Lethal?

Comment

Logically that blood would damage a lot more than just weapons if it got on them, so I'd just have it do damage, perhaps damage that ignores durability.

Comment

I wrote up this Atavism while also thinking about a spider-like Beast.

Draining Kiss [Namtaru]

Humanity shudders in revulsion at those animals who consume their prey in a different way than simply eating the flesh. Spiders, lampreys, mosquitoes, and more all feed by drinking the nutrients from their victim's body. This revulsion is reflected in the monsters humans have made up in their nightmares: seductive vampires, breath-stealing hags, and other monsters, here to steal our blood, ichor, emotions, prana, or other such vital liquids. Naturally, such a primal fear finds representation among the Horrors.

This Atavism is used as a grappling move. Many Beasts find it prudent to immobilize their target before beginning their ministrations.

Normal Effect: Every turn the Beast is in intimate physical contact with her victim, he receives a point of bashing damage, and the Beast heals one point of bashing damage. Those who wind up killed by this Atavism tend to appear shriveled or desiccated.

Low Satiety: Appetites grow, and a Beast's belly is a greedy thing. The damage inflicted and healed is now lethal. Alternatively, each point of damage inflicted can instead heal two points of bashing damage. Alternatively alternatively, each point of damage inflicted grants the Beast a dot in the Hardy merit for the scene.

Satiety Expenditure: When pushed the Beast can drain chumps of their intrinsic properties. Choose an attribute, skill, or internal merit (such as Eidetic Memory, Iron Stamina, or Striking Looks). The Beast can choose, instead of inflicting/healing damage, to absorb the chosen trait from her victims for a short time. An attribute dot takes three turns to drain, a skill dot takes two turns, and a merit dot requires one (merits with a fixed dot rating require a number of turns equal to their dot rating to drink up). The victim loses the trait dots, and the Beast gains them for her own use. If an attribute is reduced to zero, the subject falls into a coma, necessitating swift medical attention to avoid permanent injury. At the end of each scene, the Beast loses one dot in the stolen trait. The victim heals stolen trait dots like aggravated damage.

Comment

Originally posted by espritdecalmar View Post
                      I wrote up this Atavism while also thinking about a spider-like Beast.

Draining Kiss [Namtaru]

Humanity shudders in revulsion at those animals who consume their prey in a different way than simply eating the flesh. Spiders, lampreys, mosquitoes, and more all feed by drinking the nutrients from their victim's body. This revulsion is reflected in the monsters humans have made up in their nightmares: seductive vampires, breath-stealing hags, and other monsters, here to steal our blood, ichor, emotions, prana, or other such vital liquids. Naturally, such a primal fear finds representation among the Horrors.

This Atavism is used as a grappling move. Many Beasts find it prudent to immobilize their target before beginning their ministrations.

Normal Effect: Every turn the Beast is in intimate physical contact with her victim, he receives a point of bashing damage, and the Beast heals one point of bashing damage. Those who wind up killed by this Atavism tend to appear shriveled or desiccated.

Low Satiety: Appetites grow, and a Beast's belly is a greedy thing. The damage inflicted and healed is now lethal. Alternatively, each point of damage inflicted can instead heal two points of bashing damage. Alternatively alternatively, each point of damage inflicted grants the Beast a dot in the Hardy merit for the scene.

Satiety Expenditure: When pushed the Beast can drain chumps of their intrinsic properties. Choose an attribute, skill, or internal merit (such as Eidetic Memory, Iron Stamina, or Striking Looks). The Beast can choose, instead of inflicting/healing damage, to absorb the chosen trait from her victims for a short time. An attribute dot takes three turns to drain, a skill dot takes two turns, and a merit dot requires one (merits with a fixed dot rating require a number of turns equal to their dot rating to drink up). The victim loses the trait dots, and the Beast gains them for her own use. If an attribute is reduced to zero, the subject falls into a coma, necessitating swift medical attention to avoid permanent injury. At the end of each scene, the Beast loses one dot in the stolen trait. The victim heals stolen trait dots like aggravated damage.

That's really similar to one I'd been considering.

An "Inflict lethal damage, absorb part of the damage inflicted to heal" Atavism.

Based on a Matt comment, a Soul's form can be altered by taking an Atavism that doesn't normally fit that form.

Between that and Kinship Nightmares, I think there's precedent for picking up powers from other Supernatural creatures.

Some of them are pretty easy, a Fire Elemental Changeling or a Forces mage with a Pyro streak could with consistant interaction lead to a Beast picking up Dragonfire, so me thinks.

Not so much on Vampire Blood Drinking.(though things like Deva's seduction could be represented by some of the more "Sireny" powers)

What I was thinking was something like

Life Drinker
                      Normal: When you inflict Lethal or Aggravated Damage in melee combat, bare handed or with a small weapon such as a knife, but not with a large or impersonal weapon such as a chainsaw or a lance you may heal X Bashing, Y Lethal, and/or Z Aggravated damage, dependant on the kind of damage you inflicted and how much of it took
                      Low Satiety: You may bank up to X points of heal energy to reflexively heal wounds as you take them.

No clue what satiety expenditure would be, though.

I'm an aspergic individual. This means that I can't imagine how others will react to situations. This has led to me accidentally offending someone, and has also led to me being less clear in statements than I thought I was. I'd like to apologize, and ask that others don't get mad, but just ask me to reword or clarify. Thank you

Comment

One idea I had is a sort of shapeshifting power(yeah, I know). Let's call it "Monster's Many Faces", and give it to the Namtaru. Not sure about the specifics, but I imagine that the base effect would give you a (Lair) bonus to Disguise Rolls through low-key shapeshifting, with some minor extra power, followed by a Low Satiety effect that improves the disguise, and a Satiety Expenditure that flips the script and gives you a freakish, blatant warform for when you've used the lesser effects to make your prey lower their guard.

Comment

A new one based on speed, for the Eshmaki:

In the blink of an eye (Eshmaki)
                          Normal Satiety: The Beast gain her Lair dots in Initiative. In addition, as an instant action, it can move so fast (at a distance up to twice his speed, as if running) that it seems to disappear, only reappearing elsewhere. Anyone seeing the Beast disappearing and not seeing her elsewhere (for example if she moved to a hiding spot) gains the Spooked condition, looking for where it might have been. Supernatural powers giving the ability to see very fast objects engage in a Clash of Will with the Beast.
                          Low Satiety:The Beast hunger manifest in her absence, not in her presence. The bystanders gain the Shadow Paranoia condition instead of Spooked when she disappears, until she appears again.
                          Satiety expenditure: The Beast is so quick that you can't see her coming before it's too late. While disappearing, the Beast can attack someone within range, and then continue her movement to a safe position. This attack is considered as a successful surprise attack, negating defense. Supernatural powers warning of impeding attacks, or as above seeing very fast objects, engage in a Clash of Will with the Beast.
                          Last edited by Nepher; 10-28-2015, 11:15 AM. Reason: Add Clash of Will

Comment

Originally posted by ZealousChristian24 View Post
                            One idea I had is a sort of shapeshifting power(yeah, I know). Let's call it "Monster's Many Faces", and give it to the Namtaru. Not sure about the specifics, but I imagine that the base effect would give you a (Lair) bonus to Disguise Rolls through low-key shapeshifting, with some minor extra power, followed by a Low Satiety effect that improves the disguise, and a Satiety Expenditure that flips the script and gives you a freakish, blatant warform for when you've used the lesser effects to make your prey lower their guard.
                            Sounds more like the type of power that would help the Eshmaki stalk and deceive their targets. Normal Effect simply lets you take on the appearance of another person you've met in the last Lair x 2 days. The Low Satiety Effect gives you [Lair/2 round up] bonus dice to Subterfuge rolls to impersonate someone. Satiety Expenditure lets you split yourself into multiple bodies (up to your dots in Lair) to conduct more elaborate deceits. Your clones cannot take combat actions, but they may help set up traps and cause distractions. Any Perception rolls to notice something off about them suffer the Beast's Lair as a penalty.

Originally posted by Nepher View Post
                            A new one based on speed, for the Eshmaki:

In the blink of an eye (Eshmaki)
                            Normal Satiety: The Beast gain her Lair dots in Initiative. In addition, as an instant action, it can move so fast (at a distance up to twice his speed, as if running) that it seems to disappear, only reappearing elsewhere. Anyone seeing the Beast disappearing and not seeing her elsewhere (for example if she moved to a hiding spot) gains the Spooked condition, looking for where it might have been.
                            Low Satiety:The Beast hunger manifest in her absence, not in her presence. The bystanders gain the Shadow Paranoia condition instead of Spooked when she disappears, until she appears again.
                            Satiety expenditure: The Beast is so quick that you can't see her coming before it's too late. While disappearing, the Beast can attack someone within range, and then continue her movement to a safe position. This attack is considered as a successful surprise attack, negating defense.
                            Adding Lair dots to Initiative doesn't seem necessary to me. There are already Advanced and Epic Merits for that. If the target has some kind of heightened senses or "predict attacks" power, a Clash Of Wills would be in order. Other than that, seems fine,
                            Last edited by GibberingEloquence; 10-28-2015, 10:46 AM.

Let Him Speak.

Comment

Originally posted by GottaGoFeast View Post
                              Adding Lair dots to Initiative doesn't seem necessary to me. There are already Advanced and Epic Merits for that. If the target has some kind of heightened senses or "predict attacks" power, a Clash Of Wills would be in order. Other than that, seems fine,
                              Fast reflexes doesn't exist in Epic version, and the advanced one is not that impressive (roll initiative twice). I don't see redundant to add Initiative in an Atavism.
                              Mandatory Clashes of Will added

Comment

I wrote an Atavism for Beasts based around the killing cold of the polar wastes or the like called Emissary of Winter. Think of the Wendigo or some of the monsters described in Native American or Sami lore. I'm not sure what Family it would belong to though. I can't decide between Anakim (for the hopelessness of fighting the cold) or Makara (for the depths of the wastes).

Emissary of Winter

Some beasts embody not the crushing depths of the ocean, nor the far-off heights of the sky, but rather the silent, killing cold of the polar wastes. They are the Jotunn of the Norse, who are destined to destroy the gods at Ragnarok. They are the Wendigo of the Algonqin, the ice cannibals and they are the Amarok that carry winter on their breath.
                                They are as merciless as their homes and as pitiless as the cold they wear as a mantle. They care nothing for human life and it is often they who are among the cruellest in the Brood; the ones who, when hunger strikes, care the least for humanity. They are not malicious. They are not evil. They simply are. And it is their task to teach humanity that there are some places where no amount of warm clothing will avail you.

Dice Pool:

Action: Reflexive (Normal effect), Instant (Satiety Expenditure)

Normal Effect: The Beast becomes immune to all penalties due to cold, ignores penalties and damage from heat sources (such as fire or the desert sun) equal to her (Lair) gains a bonus to Speed equal to her (Lair) while in an area which would give her such a penalty and makes no sound at all unless she wishes to.
                                Also, with a Reflexive action, she can cool or freeze whatever she is touching. She can spread a tracery of frost over a window, burst a water pipe or even simply cool a beer to just the right temperature. This imparts a -1 penalty to any physical action taken by the target if used on a living adversary.

Low Satiety: The Beast’s hunger leaks into the cold she radiates, tainting it with the Horror’s ravenous thirst. The Beast can inflict frostbite with a successful unarmed attack. This deals 2 Lethal damage and ignores armour unless that armour is from some kind of cold-protection gear, in which case halve armour, rounding up. This ability can also be used to deal damage to a structure, in which case it ignores Durability.
                                Also, where the beast walks, the chill of the polar winter follows, freezing any liquid that she touches with her bare skin. This allows the beast to effectively walk on water so long as her feet are bare.

Satiety Expenditure: The beast calls the cold down from the poles and plunges her surroundings into an early winter. The cold weather lasts for a number of days equal to (Lair * Resolve) and covers an area of (Lair * Resolve miles) radius. During this time, water freezes, rain falls as snow, frost kills crops and plants and all of those within the area of effect suffer a -2 penalty to all actions and a -3 penalty to healing and fending off illness.

-------------------------------------------------------

I also did one for Horrors that are made up of many parts but not creatures that would make a swarm like spiders or other insects. Maybe like the Stymphalian Birds from the Labours of Hercules, a slithering carpet of snakes or a flock of skull-headed ravens. I think this one belongs to the Ugallu. Can you imagine what it would feel like, no matter where you go, to have one of them watching you. And you can never get away.

Flock of One (Ugallu)

Not all of the Ugallu have but a single Horror. While some may be singular creatures of enormous power, such as a gryphon or roc, some are an entire flock. Instead of the roars of other Horrors these Beasts hear a chorus of unearthly cries echoing through the place where their sol used to be..
                                History might remember them as the Stymphalian birds that Heracles had to defeat as part of his 12 labours. These birds had beaks and talons of iron and sharp bronze feathers which they could fire at their foes. Even the famed son of Zeus did not possess the might to slay them, for his Hydra-poisoned arrows skated off their bronze armour and they flew too high for him to reach with his sword. In the end the best he could do was drive them off(and even then only with the help of the goddess of wisdom), but the story does not say what happened to Stymphalos once the Hero left...
                                These Beasts can never be escaped because no matter where you run, there’s always a pair of eyes watching you from the rooftops. Or two pairs. Or a dozen. Or a hundred.

Dice pool: Resolve + Presence (for calling birds)

Action: Reflexive, Extended or Instant

Normal effect: Underneath the Beast’s voice, just beyond the edge of hearing, the manifold voices of his Horrors can be heard, distracting the mind and disturbing a person’s thinking. The Beast gains +1 die to any Intimidate or Persuasion rolls per ½ Lair rounded up.
                                In addition, the beast can understand and, using an Instant action, speak in the tongue of other creatures. While the Beast is speaking to animals, he uses his Horrors’ throats, not his own. In doing so, he sacrifices his ability to speak human languages until he uses another Instant action to regain the use of his mundane vocal cords.

Low satiety effect: When the Soul hungers, its nightmarish presence can draw other creatures into its monstrous collective to aid in its hunt; calling them to it by invading their minds via the Primordial Dream and hijacking their senses. With a Resolve + Presence roll, the beast can call animals to attend its side with a reflexive action. The range at which this is effective is equal to the Beast’s Lair x 100 metres. The results are as follows:
                                Successes Result
                                1 success: A single animal responds.
                                2 successes: One-quarter of the animals respond.
                                3 successes: Half of the animals respond.
                                4 successes: Most of the animals respond.
                                5 successes: All of the animals respond.
                                Finally, the Beast can share in the senses a number of summoned animals equal to his Lair for an indefinite amount of time as an extended action. While the Beast is using this ability, his body falls unconscious. If his body suffers any damage he is immediately forced back to it and loses a point of Willpower. He can also relinquish his hold voluntarily at any time without incurring the Willpower cost. While using the animals’ senses the Beast can communicate telepathically with it over any distance as if he was speaking its tongue. However, it is not under any obligation to comply with any request that the Beast might make. Breadcrumbs may be used as a method of coercion.

Satiety expenditure: If the Beast spends a dot of Satiety, he can transform his body into a fraction of his Horror’s form with an instant action. The Beast becomes a number of its component parts equal to triple its Lair (a Beast who has Lair 4 would become 12). These creatures are fully capable of anything that the Storyteller rules they could accomplish could otherwise accomplish (a beast whose Horror is a multitude of birds could fly), but each must remain within the Beast’s Lair x 200 metres of at least one other or dissolve back into dream-stuff, at which point it reappears from one of the other Horrors within 11 – Lair minutes. The same happens if one of the Horrors is killed. Each Horror has Health equal to the beast’s Health + Lair/number of Horrors manifest rounded up. In order to regain human form, all of the Horrors must be within 6 feet of each other and the Beast must spend a full turn returning to his human shape. The Beast can remain in this form for hours equal to ½ Lair rounded up.
                                (For the purpose of the Horrors' Power, Resistance and Finesse; each Horror has Power 1, Resistance 1 and Finesse is calculated as normal. Individual Horrors can work together however, adding their Power and Resistance ratings together for the purposes of a task up to a maximum of the Best’s highest Power attribute. This can only be done while the Horrors are within 6 feet of one another. While within the Lair, double (Lair) for the purposes of determining how many Horrors are created through the use of this Atavism. The Horror will already be composed of (Lair x 3) parts while within the Lair. The Satiety expenditure simply multiplies the amount of Horrors)

Comment

Working...
                                X