No announcement yet.

Other Atavism Ideas?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My group and I came up with this for my Anakim, because I wanted my Horror to drag around his large weapon like Pyramid Head in the Silent Hill.
    So my character has a large axe.

Horrific Weapon

Normal
    Action: Reflexive.
    The Beast summons his Horror's weapon to his hand in an instant. Once summoned, the weapon is visible to all and becomes a real object- it can be dropped or stolen, for instance. The weapon cannot be "resummoned" for a scene even if destroyed or lost.
    The weapon's damage modifier is equal to the Beast's Lair dots and its Initiative penalty equals the Beast's (Satiety -2), minimum 1 (but see below).
    When this Atavism is selected, choose a weapon type (for instance, Large Axe; dagger). When wielding a non-supernatural version of that weapon type, subtract your Lair dots from your opponent's Defense.

Low Satiety
    The true nature of the Horror's weapon now shines through even more. When this Atavism is chosen, choose either 9-Again or Armor Piercing. The summoned weapon gains this quality.
    When wielding a non-supernatural version of his weapon, the Beast cannot be disarmed and may use his weapon even in a grapple.

Satiety Expenditure
    Action: Reflexive.
    On Satiety expenditure, the Beast's summoned weapon deals Aggravated damage when used to attack this turn. He also ignores the initiative penalty.
    When using a Fighting Style with a non-supernatural weapon of your type, your weapon damage type does not change but if the style would cause you to lose your Defense, you do not. If the style would instead cause a dice penalty, ignore that penalty.

Did you miss me?
    I'm back! Long hiatus from the forums. Hope I didn't miss much.
    Here's where I've been keeping my stuff.
    http://evosworkshop.wikidot.com/
    I made "Demon the Return" and "Psychic the Gifted" is in progress.

Comment

• I like it. But why would you ever want to carry another weapon if you could just call one to hand for no cost? Maybe make calling it to hand a Satiety Expenditure effect and rejigger the rest of the effects around that.

EDIT: And if I understand damage rating right, that means you get [Lair] automatic damage on a successful hit, right? I dunno, sounds kinda OP.

Also, do you think we should ask for this thread to be pinned?

A god is just a monster you kneel to. - ArcaneArts, Quoting "Fall of Gods"

Comment

• Originally posted by Master Aquatosic View Post
        I like it. But why would you ever want to carry another weapon if you could just call one to hand for no cost? Maybe make calling it to hand a Satiety Expenditure effect and rejigger the rest of the effects around that.

EDIT: And if I understand damage rating right, that means you get [Lair] automatic damage on a successful hit, right? I dunno, sounds kinda OP.

Also, do you think we should ask for this thread to be pinned?
        Modifiers are usually just things weapons do. This is not even too much of an outlier in strenght: Limb from Limb turns your unarmed +0B into +Lair Lethal at low Satiety, or +Lair Agg on spending satiety. That means a hit deals damage equal to the weapon modifier + successes. No successes, no hit, no damage. Automatic successes are something else.

Evo_Shandor Gotta admit, this feels more like it should be a combination of a fighting style and a Merit like Nightmare Armory rather than an Atavism.
        As I did wrong at least once here, too, Atavisms are supposed to reflect your Horror's nature. So unless it is somehow integral to your Horror that he can summon weapons to his side, you could achieve similar effects with using the aforementioned combination.

Comment

• I'm not familiar with Nightmare Armory. No books near me now. Where would I find it?

Did you miss me?

Comment

• I agree that an atavism probably wasn't the best choice, but it was what we settled on in order to give my horror an axe. We created it our first time playing Beast.

Did you miss me?

Comment

• Originally posted by Evo_Shandor View Post
              I agree that an atavism probably wasn't the best choice, but it was what we settled on in order to give my horror an axe. We created it our first time playing Beast.
              totally fine, and hey, as long as it worked for your table and you guys had a great time, don't sweat the details, right?!

just a general observation. Which DID help in me working on a style, though. A style based on swinging around immense, huge weaponry akin to Cloud's Bustersword or pyramid head's ... whatever that was he pulled at times.

Edit: regarding nightmare armory, my bad, that is from our game's homebrew, so obviously you wouldn't have access to that. But generally, making "pulling weapons out of my hat" a merit is pretty simple. Just do a basic template regarding str requirements and weapon modifier, and make additional ranking in the merit increase the modifier/durability.
              Pretty mean trick with throwing knives and corresponding styles, come to think of it.
              Last edited by Wormwood; 09-28-2017, 06:22 PM.

Comment

• Wormwood I wasn't saying automatic successes. I understand that the damage only happens if the hit connects. I just thought that doing at least [Lair]+1 Bashing, Lethal or even Aggravated damage in one hit with no point expenditure seemed OP

A god is just a monster you kneel to. - ArcaneArts, Quoting "Fall of Gods"

Comment

• Originally posted by Master Aquatosic View Post
                  Wormwood I wasn't saying automatic successes. I understand that the damage only happens if the hit connects. I just thought that doing at least [Lair]+1 Bashing, Lethal or even Aggravated damage in one hit with no point expenditure seemed OP
                  Ah, misunderstood that. Well, it is slightly stronger than limb from limb as written (thanks to stuff like 9 - again/armorpiercing AND dealing lethal at normal satiety) but other than that seems fair. + remember, weapon modifiers are easily at 2 or 3. So before hitting Lair 4, this wont be stronger than common weapons one could buy.

Comment

• Feather-Light Tread (Eshmaki)
                    Not all monsters are lumbering behemoths or dragons that leave devastation in their wake. Some are so subtle, so light-footed, that none - barring perhaps the greatest of Heroes - can tell that they were ever there. These are the monsters that tip-toe into your life, change it forever and then leave once more with you never having known they were there.

Normal Effect: Your effect upon the world is light: wherever you would leave a physical trace, whether a footprint, DNA or any other such marker. Any attempt to notice, identify or otherwise draw information from these traces suffers a penalty equal to your Lair, although supernatural methods such as a Mage's Mage Sight or a Hero's Heroic Tracking are not affected and equipment such as security cameras can still record you as normal.

Low Satiety Effect: As the Horror becomes ever more famished, its touch upon the world grows ever-lighter. You no longer leave any mundane traces to be found and any attempt to track you magically (including Heroic Tracking) results in a Clash of Wills. Furthermore, you may stand on any solid thing without causing an effect, from a power line to the topmost twigs of a tree and gain half your Lair, rounded up, as a bonus to climbing rolls.

Satiety Expenditure: With the expenditure of a point of Satiety you can not only leave few traces but actually erase them from the minds of your pursuers. Any individuals actively tracking you or seeking information on you must roll Resolve + Supernatural Tolerance versus your Manipulation + Lair or immediately lose track of you somehow - they mistake another set of tracks for yours and only realize their blunder an hour later, they press the delete button by accident and lose crucial evidence or some other mishap occurs. This cannot be used while your pursuers are within line of sight of you.
                    Last edited by ajf115; 11-01-2017, 03:10 PM.

Is it presumptuous of me to ask for alternating male/female pronouns?

Comment

• Skinwalker (Eshmaki)
                      Sometimes the monster is not lurking beneath your bed or in a fancy castle filled with stolen gold. Sometimes it is right beside you, wearing a normal facade and you would never know any better until it is too late.

Dice Pool: None for Normal Satiety and Low Satiety, Manipulation + Subterfuge - Composure for Satiety Expenditure

Normal Satiety: You can alter your form into that of anyone you have seen directly within the past [Lair] days as an instant action. You gain a bonus to Social and Perception rolls equal to your Lair for impersonating others this way. Lastly, you gain the Untouchable and Closed Book Merits, the latter with a rating equal to Lair/2 round up. These Merits are for free and ignore prerequisites.

Low Satiety: You may shapeshift into anyone you have seen within the last [Lair] weeks reflexively. You gain the Rote Quality on all Social and Perception rolls for impersonating others, and any supernatural attempt at piercing your disguise or detecting your lies provokes a Clash Of Wills.

Satiety Expenditure: Roll the aforementioned dice pool. On a Success, you gain a Perfect Impression for Social Maneuvering using your stolen identity and all of its memories, going back [10 - Current Satiety] in days. On an Exceptional Success, memories go back [10 - Current Satiety] in weeks, any Failure suffered when trying to investigate you is downgraded to a Dramatic Failure and Exceptional Successes cannot be achieved (this includes supernatural attempts if Low Satiety). These effects last for one scene, but may be extended for subsequent scenes with further Satiety Expenditure. You lose the memories even if you have Eidetic Memory/Mimir's Wisdom.
                      Last edited by GibberingEloquence; 12-02-2017, 11:07 AM.

"Fate is a cruel jester with a finely developed sense of irony." - Sir Night as portrayed by Leliel, The Horror Recognition Guide

Comment

• Originally posted by GibberingEloquence View Post

Satiety Expenditure: Roll the aforementioned dice pool. On a Success, you gain a Perfect Impression for Social Maneuvering using your stolen identity and all of its memories, going back [10 - Current Satiety] in days. On an Exceptional Success, memories go back [10 - Current Satiety] in weeks, any Failure suffered when trying to investigate you is downgraded to a Dramatic Failure and Exceptional Successes cannot be achieved (this includes supernatural attempts if Low Satiety). These effects last for one scene, but may be extended for subsequent scenes with further Satiety Expenditure. You lose the memories even if you have Eidetic Memory/Mimir's Wisdom.
                        I presume if you're after information you can write it down while you still have the memories, though. Do you remember remembering them, or only the act of remembering them, if you see what i mean.

Is it presumptuous of me to ask for alternating male/female pronouns?

Comment

Working...
                        X