Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Warpwind View Post
    Symbiotic Passenger (Namtaru)
    Basically, The horror piggibacks a smaller Astral being on it's back. Satiety drain is doubles. or in case of Legendary Horror the essence drain is doubled. .

Normal Effect: The Beast May use any Influence of the Being it piggibacks. .
    Low Satiety Effect: The Beast lets the being use any numina it possesses through him freely. Any costs are paid by the symbiotic.
    Satiety Expenditure: The Beast's body thums with borrowed power. add creatures power/finesse/resistance points to attributes.
    Interesting idea, but I feel there should be a limit / power-scale. As is, a Beast with this could be a starting character, but could channel Rank 5+ beings.
    How about making it a sort of 'captivating Astral beings' kind of thing, with them being able to channel up to [Lair] Rank beings?

Comment

• Originally posted by Wormwood View Post

Interesting idea, but I feel there should be a limit / power-scale. As is, a Beast with this could be a starting character, but could channel Rank 5+ beings.
      How about making it a sort of 'captivating Astral beings' kind of thing, with them being able to channel up to [Lair] Rank beings?
      I think Lair/2 would be more appropriate.

Comment

• Originally posted by Warpwind View Post
        I think Lair/2 would be more appropriate.
        Lair /2 rounded up? Seems reasonable to me.

Comment

• Hello everyone. I found Cinder 's Irkalla really neat, and wanted to add it as an option to my players, but I don't like having Families with only three Atavisms. So I had to create a new one. Cinder, feel free to steal if you like it

Life beyond Death (Irkalla)
          The fear of the dead coming back to haunt the living is tangible in a lot of culture, and some Horrors embodies just that: pile of bones held together with rotten sinew, dead skin sewn as a grotesque body, or just the proverbial zombie leaving decaying flesh in his wake. A Beast with such Horror is able to draw entropy and stasis in its body, gaining the mixed blessing of undeath.
          Normal: As an instant action, the Beast can enter a Dead State, or revert to an Alive State. While dead, he gain the following advantages and weakness:
          - He appears completely dead. No mundane medical exams may detect the deception. Supernatural powers still register him as alive.
          - He add his Lair to Stamina roll to resist poison, drug, illness and pain.
          - He doesn't have to breathe, and so become immune to suffocation, gas poisoning, and drowning.
          - He can't eat, drink or sleep, but doesn't suffer from the consequences of hunger, thirst and fatigue. These consequences still build up with time, but only apply when reverting to the Alive State.
          - Wound penalties aside, he doesn't suffer any consequences from having his health track full of bashing or lethal damages.
          - He can't heal, even with other supernatural powers (which include other Atavisms like Relentless Hunter), unless by spending Satiety in his Lair or with a power that specifically heal undeads.
          - The Beast is obviously dead. He cannot have social interaction (aside from Intimidation) with normal people, and even supernatural (including other Beasts) find him unclean somehow, reducing it's Impression by two levels.
          - The dead coming back is a nightmare on it's own. Characters with Integrity make a breaking point roll if they see the Beast in Dead State. This roll is penalized by the Beast wound penalties (even at low Satiety), such wounds highlighting how unnatural a walking dead is. This breaking point is however not enough to create a Chamber.
          Low Satiety: As his hunger grow, the Best's flesh become truly dead meat:
          - You can snap his neck, slit his throat, pierce his heart, it's only a minor inconvenience. He cannot be targeted by a Killing Blow.
          - He doesn't suffer wound penalties.
          - As a vampire, non mystical weapons inflicts only bashing damages. Anathema inflict their damages as usual.
          - If a supernatural power try to determine if the Beast is alive or dead, it must succeed in a Clash of Will to not register him as dead.
          - While it doesn't bother him in Dead State, the Beast's bones are more brittle, and its flesh tend to fall off. Mark with a point bashing damages suffered while at low Satiety. When reverting to Alive State (at any Satiety), these damages are upgraded to lethal damages.
          Satiety Expenditure: When spending Satiety, the Beast is impossible to kill, or even to slow down. This effect last for a scene or an hour (whichever is shorter), and can be renewed each scene with one Satiety without running out.
          - Even if the his health is full of aggravated damages, the Beast can still act normally. At storyteller discretion, enough damage (such as inflicted by industrial machinery) can destroy fully the Beast body, but even if a crawling arm remains, the Beast can still act.
          - Any tilts or conditions inflicted by damages, such as Arm Wreck or Blinded, see their effects negated. They are not healed or resolved, and will take effect again when this effect wears off. Tilt and Condition imposed while this effect is active are normally inflicted, but won't take effect before the end of this power.
          Last edited by Nepher; 05-15-2018, 05:02 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nepher View Post
            Hello everyone. I found Cinder 's Irkalla really neat, and wanted to add it as an option to my players, but I don't like having Families with only three Atavisms. So I had to create a new one. Cinder, feel free to steal if you like it

The fear of the dead coming back to haunt the living is tangible in a lot of culture, and some Horrors embodies just that: pile of bones held together with rotten sinew, dead skin sewn as a grotesque body, or just the proverbial zombie leaving decaying flesh in his wake. A Beast with such Horror is able to draw entropy and stasis in its body, gaining the mixed blessing of undeath.
            Normal: As an instant action, the Beast can enter a Dead State, or revert to an Alive State. While dead, he gain the following advantages and weakness:
            - He appears completely dead. No mundane medical exams may detect the deception. Supernatural powers still register him as alive.
            - He doesn't have to breathe, and so become immune to suffocation, gas poisoning, and drowning.
            - He can't eat, drink or sleep, but doesn't suffer from the consequences of hunger, thirst and fatigue. These consequences still build up with time, but only apply when reverting to the Alive State.
            - Wound penalties aside, he doesn't suffer any consequences from having his health track full of bashing or lethal damages.
            - He can't heal, even with other supernatural powers, unless by spending Satiety in his Lair or with a power that specifically heal undeads.
            - The more hungry he is, the more he appears decayed. His social rolls (excluding Intimidation) are capped by his Satiety.
            - You can snap his neck, slit his throat, pierce his heart, it's only a minor inconvenience. He cannot be targeted by a Killing Blow.
            - As a vampire, non mystical weapons inflicts only bashing damages. Anathema inflict their damages as usual.
            - If a supernatural power try to determine if the Beast is alive or dead, it must succeed in a Clash of Will to not register him as dead.
            - While it doesn't bother him in Dead State, the Beast's bones are more brittle, and its flesh tend to fall off. Mark with a point bashing damages suffered while at low Satiety. When reverting to Alive State (at any Satiety), these damages are upgraded to lethal damages.
            Satiety Expenditure: When spending Satiety, the Beast is impossible to kill, or even to slow down. This effect last for a scene or an hour (whichever is shorter), and can be renewed each scene with one Satiety without running out.
            - Even if the his health is full of aggravated damages, the Beast can still act normally. At storyteller discretion, enough damage (such as inflicted by industrial machinery) can destroy fully the Beast body, but even if a crawling arm remains, the Beast can still act.
            - Any tilts or conditions inflicted by damages, such as Arm Wreck or Blinded, see their effects negated. They are not healed or resolved, and will take effect again when this effect wears off. Tilt and Condition imposed while this effect is active are normally inflicted, but won't take effect before the end of this power.
            I like this concept, despite some overlap with existing Kinship Merits and Atavisms. However, the Normal Effect, I feel, should have a limit on how long he can keep the state up, otherwise there are very few reasons not to spend tremendous amounts of time in this state when necessary. E.g. [Lair] hours feels fair, I think?
            I very much like the Low Satiety drawback, otherwise it'd be too op.
            I'd also think that normal regeneration and healing does not work on a dead body, so x-nay on reducing damage AND healing them with Relentless Hunter. An Irkalla with this and Unbreakable would already be plenty tanky, and close to indestructible upon spending Satiety on Unbreakable and going Dead State.

The Satiety Expenditure I can see where you're coming from, but feels a tad much. Then again, Promethean Titans do have a similar ability...

Comment

• Originally posted by Wormwood View Post
              I'd also think that normal regeneration and healing does not work on a dead body, so x-nay on reducing damage AND healing them with Relentless Hunter. An Irkalla with this and Unbreakable would already be plenty tanky, and close to indestructible upon spending Satiety on Unbreakable and going Dead State.
              It's already there. I'll add a reference to Relentless Hunter, since it's the main healing Beast's power.

Originally posted by Wormwood View Post
              The Satiety Expenditure I can see where you're coming from, but feels a tad much. Then again, Promethean Titans do have a similar ability...
              Promethean was the main inspiration of the whole Atavism

Originally posted by Wormwood View Post
              I like this concept, despite some overlap with existing Kinship Merits and Atavisms. However, the Normal Effect, I feel, should have a limit on how long he can keep the state up, otherwise there are very few reasons not to spend tremendous amounts of time in this state when necessary. E.g. [Lair] hours feels fair, I think?
              I'm stump here. The whole goal was to spend tremendous amount of time in Dead State, but doing so damage your social interactions. The Satiety expenditure is a sink hole that force you to hunt again and again to remain "alive", but too much time spent in this time increase your hunger and fatigue to levels you can't go back to. You're a zombie, not a sexy vampire. The limit on social interaction seems too weak, and I should go to Integrity breaking point, but I'm not sure how to balance it. Let me try something...

Comment

• Originally posted by Nepher View Post
                - He can't heal, even with other supernatural powers (which include other Atavisms like Relentless Hunter), unless by spending Satiety in his Lair or with a power that specifically heal undead.
                - The Beast is obviously dead. He cannot have social interaction (aside from Intimidation) with normal people, and even supernatural (including other Beasts) find him unclean somehow, reducing it's Impression by two levels.
                - The dead coming back is a nightmare on it's own. Characters with Integrity make a breaking point roll if they see the Beast in Dead State. This roll is penalized by the Beast wound penalties (even at low Satiety), such wounds highlighting how unnatural a walking dead is. This breaking point is however not enough to create a Chamber.
                I love the idea here, but I feel like if this were an atavism I could take, I shouldn't be able to take Unbreakable, which, while less good on fluffiness, is far superior in crunch. I'd probably move the integrity breaking point to the low satiety section, and grant wound penalty ignoring into the normal effect. I'd also remove the only bashing damage portion in low satiety, and grant full immunity to poison/drug/illness/pain here. I also wouldn't worry about putting hunger/thirst/fatigue coming back to haunt you (pun intended) when you return to living state. While this does make using it 'safer', the fact is you're turning into a repulsive zombie. That's going to draw hunters like no tomorrow, not to mention Heroes finding you super easily.

Satiety expenditure leaves me feeling a conundrum. I love it, but I would have done it slightly differently. Most of it's just some mild editing, but I did add one major effect:

Satiety Expenditure: When spending Satiety, the Beast automatically enters dead state and is near impossible to kill, or even to slow down. This effect last for a scene or an hour (whichever is shorter), and can be renewed each scene with one Satiety without running out.
                Even if the his health is full of aggravated damage, the Beast may still act normally. Full body destruction can kill the Beast. Otherwise, when the satiety effect ends a Beast with a full track of damage automatically downgrades one box of aggravated to Lethal damage. Any physical tilts inflicted through damage, such as Arm Wreck, are negated until this effect ends.

Note: The beast only downgrades the 1 ag to lethal *if* they re already at full ag damage.

Comment

• Nepher ArchonAres
                  Ah, I have to admit I didn't see the Integrity breaking point trigger. That is a fair argument and would render my "being undead all the time has little to no drawbacks" point moot. You could pull a Skin Deep and allow Heroes a bonus on Heroic Tracking when interacting with "shaken" people to give it more teeth.

This and Unbreakable would make the Character immune to anything but supernatural weapons and environmental tilts and the like for measly 2 Satiety. Good thing grenades deal Agg when close enough.

Comment

• Has anybody suggested an Atavism for modular body parts?

That means the ability to detach (and reattach) pieces of your body at will, and still control them while you're separated from you?

Comment

• Originally posted by Nyrufa View Post
                      Has anybody suggested an Atavism for modular body parts?

That means the ability to detach (and reattach) pieces of your body at will, and still control them while you're separated from you?
                      I'm trying to do something like that as a part of my attempt to replicate John Carpenter's Thing through Beast, but I got nothing solid for now.

It's a fun concept for a Namtaru Atavism, no doubt about that

Cinder's Comprehensive Collection of Creations - Homebrew Hub

I write about Beast: The Primordial a lot

This is what I'm working on

Comment

• Maybe as a merit that requires Infestation?

A god is just a monster you kneel to. - ArcaneArts, Quoting "Fall of Gods"

Comment

Has anybody suggested an Atavism for modular body parts?

The Detachable Limbs Modification Demonic Form Ability would be a good place to look, mechanically. Maybe normal effect is you can ignore Limb/Arm Wrack Tilts (since you can just detach and stick them back on), with Low Satiety or Satiety Expenditure letting you control them, or regrow them completely?

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
                          Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

• Originally posted by Vent0 View Post

The Detachable Limbs Modification Demonic Form Ability would be a good place to look, mechanically. Maybe normal effect is you can ignore Limb/Arm Wrack Tilts (since you can just detach and stick them back on), with Low Satiety or Satiety Expenditure letting you control them, or regrow them completely?

I think regrowing them would be part of the Relentless Hunter atavism. otherwise, you'd be practically indestructible.

Although maybe low satiety would give your detached body parts the ability to levitate, instead of crawling along the floor?
                            Last edited by Nyrufa; 05-17-2018, 04:46 PM.

Comment

I think regrowing them would be part of the Relentless Hunter atavism. otherwise, you'd be practically indestructible.

Although maybe low satiety would give your detached body parts the ability to levitate, instead of crawling along the floor?
                              Well, animation is a pre-requisite for levitation. Since LS and SE are both options, one can't outright rely upon the other.

Relentless Hunter is pure damage restoration. This would cover limbs specifically. A Makara Hydra or Namtaru Pennangalan could find great use in the regrowth option.

After consideration, make that the Satiety Expenditure one? Low Satiety allows for control of limbs - combo them to rip off your own arm and fling it at someone, then just regrow it while it strangles them. Got the Satiety to burn? Do it again.

Wings of the Raptor should allow your limbs (since they are you, after all) to fly.
                              Last edited by Vent0; 05-17-2018, 05:19 PM.

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
                              Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

• Originally posted by Vent0 View Post

Well, animation is a pre-requisite for levitation. Since LS and SE are both options, one can't outright rely upon the other.

Relentless Hunter is pure damage restoration. This would cover limbs specifically. A Makara Hydra or Namtaru Pennangalan could find great use in the regrowth option.

After consideration, make that the Satiety Expenditure one? Low Satiety allows for control of limbs - combo them to rip off your own arm and fling it at someone, then just regrow it while it strangles them. Got the Satiety to burn? Do it again.

Wings of the Raptor should allow your limbs (since they are you, after all) to fly.

Right, I meant satiety expenditure, not low satiety.

Got them confused!

Hmm, a pennangalan with the ability to regenerate its body parts...

Now I'm thinking of the monster reproducing through osmosis!

Comment

Working...
                                X