Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Other Atavism Ideas?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Master Aquatosic View Post
    How about You Are A Drone?
    That works too, although the sound of it makes me think more 'conformity' than 'dominated'. Office-drone rather than borg-drone, if you see what I mean, although I'll admit that's likely just my interpretative side speaking.

    I study English Lit. What can you do?


    Comment


    • Originally posted by ajf115 View Post

      I study English Lit. What can you do?
      No, that's a valid interpretation. I still prefer mine, but if you think it will give some people the wrong idea, I'll concede. I study journalism and communication in general, so I'm big on making sure people interpret my work the way I intended.

      though, this nightmare doesn't have to be about literal hiveminds. Conforming to the point that you might as well be a drone worker to those around you and being considered boring could be another source of this fear.

      EDIT: What about You Are A Tool? Add victim's skill ratings as straight equipment bonuses to other's work till the end of the scene as well as standard teamwork effects. But Resolve+Composure roll to do anything by yourself.

      Will repost this in Homebrew Nightmares.
      Last edited by Master Aquatosic; 05-20-2018, 12:02 PM.


      A god is just a monster you kneel to. - ArcaneArts, Quoting "Fall of Gods"

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Master Aquatosic View Post

        No, that's a valid interpretation. I still prefer mine, but if you think it will give some people the wrong idea, I'll concede. I study journalism and communication in general, so I'm big on making sure people interpret my work the way I intended.

        though, this nightmare doesn't have to be about literal hiveminds. Conforming to the point that you might as well be a drone worker to those around you and being considered boring could be another source of this fear.

        EDIT: What about You Are A Tool? Add victim's skill ratings as straight equipment bonuses to other's work till the end of the scene as well as standard teamwork effects. But Resolve+Composure roll to do anything by yourself.

        Will repost this in Homebrew Nightmares.
        You Are A Tool sounds great.


        Comment


        • Originally posted by Wormwood View Post
          We need a new Inguma atavism. I thought Hivemind would be a fitting concept:
          Normal gives +Lair to group efforts involving the beast. Effect applies up to LairĂ—5 yards away. Up to Lair people can be integrated into the hivemind. Dicepool is Int+Occult+Lair ( vs. Resolve+ST even if the target is 'willing'). Victim can try and shake it off with resolve + composure. Upon experiencing a breaking point, they are seperated.
          When part of hivemind, weak Telepathic Communication is possible (Think telegraphstyle), and everyone loses their vice and virtue equivalents, Adopting the beast's Legend and life instead. Lasts until severed.
          Low Satiety gives a shared dicepool for skills, effectively allowing the brawler To use the scientist's knowledge, and the scientist to throw a proper punch. Diuble-edged blade, though: They also share impressions, so many conditions and tilts experienced by one apply to all of them, e.g. wound penalties. The hivemind does not let go: penalties attempts to leave by Lair. May include pain as a distractor.
          Expenditure finally takes over, and the hivemind literally moves each body independently as if they were limbs of a larger whole. That is taxing on the beast's mind: when moving more than wits/2 rounded down people at once, all actions suffer a cummulative -1 penalty for each additional body. In addition to the Low Satiety effect, the hivemind now also shares a willpower dicepool.
          This effect holds for a scene. Afterwards, everyone suffers Insensate, Disoriented and cannot replenish Willpower for a scene due to exhaustion.


          Very rough, first draft, but I just had the idea and thought you might like it. Plus i think it fits the Inguma well.
          The Hivemind
          normal satiety: the beast may add up to Lair x2 willing subjects to it's hive mind, at a range of Lair x5 yds. While connected to the Hive mind, you gain a bonus to teamwork rolls equal to half the Beasts Lair. You also gain limited empathic connection to the members of the Hive, and can send and receive emotions from one another.

          Low satiety: The Hive mind pumps more information between the drones, allowing them to see, hear, smell, and feel what the others and the Hivemind can. The Hivemind may now also send and receive pictures and words through its link, increasing the communication between drones. Range and teamwork benefits doubly.

          Satiety expenditure: the beast can forcibly induct a member into the Hive, and give orders to its members for the duration of the scene. Anyone forcibly indicted counts as two willing members. The Hivemind can also order members to action. Resisting is a clash of wills. This effect lasts for an hour or a scene.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by ajf115 View Post
            You Are A Tool sounds great.

            That's good, because I just finished writing it up in Homebrew Nightmares and I want to get some feedback. Biggest issue is I'm not sure what Attribute to use for the Beast's dice pool.


            A god is just a monster you kneel to. - ArcaneArts, Quoting "Fall of Gods"

            Comment


            • Parasite (Namtaru)
              Few things are considered as disgusting as parasitism - the survival on someone else's lifeforce.
              Roll: Dext+Occult+Lair vs.Occult +ST (low Satiety); Stamina+Strength+Lair vs. Stamina+ST
              Action: Instant and Reflexive

              Normal Effect:
              By succeeding in a touch-attack, the Beast inflicts the Syphoned condition. This could be a metaphysical connection, a 'energy-link' or some sort of parasitic organism that is implanted. The Beast can inflict Minor tilts like Sick on demand. (Need help with ideas here.)
              Once per scene, the Begotten can syphon lifeforce off of those with the condition by inflicting Lair Bashing damage, and heal themselves for the same amount. The damage may be distributed per the player's choice. By dealing an appropriate amount of Bashing, they may heal Lethal damage, but they cannot inflict Lethal damage this way.

              Low Satiety Effect: When the Horror hungers, it takes what it needs. When harming another, the Horror takes strength from the pain, and heals Lair/2 rounded down Bashing damage per turn.
              However, the hungry Horror is demanding, and not likely to show restraint: when Syphoning, it deals Lethal Damage those with the condition.

              Satiety Expenditure: Not sure yet, some sort of curveball like entering someone.

              I want some more help with that one - I am sure you can tell where I'm going with this. I considered doing this in a Merit rather than an

              Also working on some sort of mobility atavism.

              Comment


              • Perhaps the Satiety Expenditure could simply allow you to lifesteal more than once per scene? Or maybe it could be a bit mind-controlly?


                Comment


                • Originally posted by Wormwood View Post
                  Parasite (Namtaru)
                  Few things are considered as disgusting as parasitism - the survival on someone else's lifeforce.
                  Roll: Dext+Occult+Lair vs.Occult +ST (low Satiety); Stamina+Strength+Lair vs. Stamina+ST
                  Action: Instant and Reflexive

                  Normal Effect:
                  By succeeding in a touch-attack, the Beast inflicts the Syphoned condition. This could be a metaphysical connection, a 'energy-link' or some sort of parasitic organism that is implanted. The Beast can inflict Minor tilts like Sick on demand. (Need help with ideas here.)
                  Once per scene, the Begotten can syphon lifeforce off of those with the condition by inflicting Lair Bashing damage, and heal themselves for the same amount. The damage may be distributed per the player's choice. By dealing an appropriate amount of Bashing, they may heal Lethal damage, but they cannot inflict Lethal damage this way.

                  Low Satiety Effect: When the Horror hungers, it takes what it needs. When harming another, the Horror takes strength from the pain, and heals Lair/2 rounded down Bashing damage per turn.
                  However, the hungry Horror is demanding, and not likely to show restraint: when Syphoning, it deals Lethal Damage those with the condition.

                  Satiety Expenditure: Not sure yet, some sort of curveball like entering someone.

                  I want some more help with that one - I am sure you can tell where I'm going with this. I considered doing this in a Merit rather than an

                  Also working on some sort of mobility atavism.
                  I feel like maybe leveraging the concept of Extreme Environments might be useful here, even if the effect is limited to a person as opposed to an environment. Basically, the target gets Stamina in time (hours or turns) before they start taking damage. Or just give the target a Disease Condition, except you gain what they lose. Normal is Bashing, LS is Lethal, SE forces a roll immediately?

                  Another thing is you might treat Normal/Low Satiety/Satiety Expenditure as syphoning different things - Willpower, Natural Healing Rate (victim doubled, Beast halved), direct Health, etc. Or maybe forced sensory sharing (like the Parasite ability in Starcraft).


                  Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
                  Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Vent0 View Post

                    I feel like maybe leveraging the concept of Extreme Environments might be useful here, even if the effect is limited to a person as opposed to an environment. Basically, the target gets Stamina in time (hours or turns) before they start taking damage. Or just give the target a Disease Condition, except you gain what they lose. Normal is Bashing, LS is Lethal, SE forces a roll immediately?

                    Another thing is you might treat Normal/Low Satiety/Satiety Expenditure as syphoning different things - Willpower, Natural Healing Rate (victim doubled, Beast halved), direct Health, etc. Or maybe forced sensory sharing (like the Parasite ability in Starcraft).
                    I quite like that idea!
                    will be changing normal to stealing regeneration, with an option of forcefully stealing Health over a period of time via Disease-like Tilt once per chapter. (this way, not displacing Relentless Hunter). Max Lair/2 rounded down targets at once.
                    low satiety will be lethal, and immediate once per scene.
                    Expenditure will be an attack like a tick-horror taking a sip or blood flowing from victim to Beast that deals Lair Lethal, and heals for Lair/2 rounded down. Usuable in combination with other Atavisms.

                    (proper writeup when hand free)

                    Alternatively, would be fun to have the exp turn it around and have the beat donate Health/Strength/Stamina. making this into a symbiotic relationship. But ill keep that idea for anothrer time

                    Comment


                    • Beastial (Inguma)
                      Some monsters are defined by their similarity to or relationship with animals, like skinchangers. By tapping into their Horror's nature, Begotten prove to have incredibly keen instincts.

                      Normal: The Beast adds their Lair to rolls involving Animal Ken and Survival. In addition, they are not bothered by difficult terrain, and have an increased sense of smell: they can track a scent as if they were dogs. Their animalistic instincts also give them an edge in battle: they calculate Defense with the Higher of dexterity or wits.

                      Low Satiety: The hungry Horror does not ask, it demands. By groaning, howling, and otherwise imitating animal noises, the Begotten can order even wild animals around as if they were tamed and trained by him. In addition, the Begotten can grow nails and fangs to deal +1 Lethal in unarmed combat. However, a beast is hard to control and easily distracted: penalize Composure rolls by -2.

                      Satiety Expenditure: The Begotten can turn into an animal of their choice, losing the ability to talk and all their social skills and merits (other than Intimidate and Animal Ken), but gaining abilities common for those animals, as well as retain access to their Nightmares and Atavisms. The Animal must not be smaller than their size - (Lair/2 rounded down) or larger than their size + (Lair/2 rounded down). If they chose an animal that is e.g. usually size 2, they can still opt to retain their Size.
                      Last edited by Wormwood; 08-01-2018, 05:37 AM. Reason: Vent0's advice

                      Comment


                      • What about the higher of Dexterity and Wits? It is such a simple thing, but common to animals and useful in some cases.


                        Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
                        Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Vent0 View Post
                          What about the higher of Dexterity and Wits? It is such a simple thing, but common to animals and useful in some cases.
                          Excellent point, added!

                          Comment


                          • One question I have, Wormwood, is whether, with the Low Satiety effect, you can also understand animals. For instance, could I ask an animal what it's seen, or is the power limited to ordering them around?

                            Also, I kind of feel that you should still be able to speak in animal form - these are nightmare-beasts, after all, and talking animals are a staple of myth and fable. Imagine a great monster-wolf hunting you, and taunting you all the while as you try to hide.
                            Last edited by ajf115; 08-01-2018, 08:10 AM.


                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by ajf115 View Post
                              One question I have, Wormwood, is whether, with the Low Satiety effect, you can also understand animals. For instance, could I ask an animal what it's seen, or is the power limited to ordering them around?

                              Also, I kind of feel that you should still be able to speak in animal form - these are nightmare-beasts, after all, and talking animals are a staple of myth and fable. Imagine a great monster-wolf hunting you, and taunting you all the whole as you try to hide.
                              "Little pigs, little pigs, let me in ... "


                              Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
                              Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by ajf115 View Post
                                One question I have, Wormwood, is whether, with the Low Satiety effect, you can also understand animals. For instance, could I ask an animal what it's seen, or is the power limited to ordering them around?

                                Also, I kind of feel that you should still be able to speak in animal form - these are nightmare-beasts, after all, and talking animals are a staple of myth and fable. Imagine a great monster-wolf hunting you, and taunting you all the whole as you try to hide.
                                Fair point. Had Not considered that due to slightly railroading. Also Vent0 's line is too cool to not use
                                Yeah, I should have specified that yes, you can understand animals. Their usefulness, of course, is similar to animals used with Animalism, as some concepts are just beyond them.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X