X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• glamourweaver
    started a topic Other Atavism Ideas?

Other Atavism Ideas?

So I've been pondering other potential Atavisms for Beasts. Obviously the set we've got are very broad and cover a lot of potential Horror morphologies and associated powers. That said, I think I've got at least two more, so I'd like to land the other three minimum...

- One for burrowing through earth and stone, protecting from underground suffocation, and at least with Satiety expenditure, being able to offensively hurl earth or wield cave ins/sink-holes. I think Namtaru fits best here.

- One for having additional fanged mouths/thorns/sharp scales/razor pinions/etc so that contact with your body causes damage. I think Eshmaki.

Any thoughts on those or ideas for the other three?

• Wormwood
    replied
    Originally posted by GibberingEloquence View Post
    Lord Of Animals (Eshmaki)
    While living in their walled cities, humans like to think they are safe from the predators of the wilderness. The Beast knows better and can watch his prey with the eyes of animals, ready to strike when it is least expected.

Normal Satiety: The Beast adds his Lair to all Animal Ken rolls. When this Atavism is acquired, choose a number of Animal Ken Specialties equal to [Lair/2 round up], which may be changed at the start of each chapter. Once per scene, the Beast can borrow the senses of an animal represented by such Specialties through a roll of Wits + Animal Ken. Possessing and leaving the animal requires an Instant Action each. This lasts for [Lair] in minutes on a Success, and [Lair] in hours on an Exceptional Success. Acceptable categories include specific ones like canines, birds, ungulates, arthropods and rodents, but not broad ones like carnivores or vertebrates. When training a favored animal in order to establish the Bonded Condition, the Beast never makes Extended Actions, ignores the animal's Resolve and needs no Equipment. His rolls always take one turn each, as the animals find him inherently trustworthy or worthy of respect.

The Beast remains aware of his surroundings while possessing a favored animal, and thus keeps his Defense and such. The targeted instance can be a swarm of critters with Size 0-3 and a radius of [Lair x 5] meters, or a single critter with Size of up to 10 + [Lair x 2]. However, it must be within [Lair x 10] meters, or [Lair x 50] meters if it is a very uncommon animal. The Beast can do any action the animal could, but uses his own Attributes, Skills and Merits. To compensate, he gains a bonus of [Lair/2 round up] on all relevant rolls for the animal (e.g. Stealth, Athletics, Brawl, Survival, Intimidation). The Beast can still communicate verbally while possessing the animal, but cannot use Nightmares.

Low Satiety: The Beast gains Rote Quality on all Animal Ken rolls. Furthermore, he can extend any of his Atavisms through a possessed target. However, he cannot use the Satiety Expenditure effect while doing so. Relevant rolls for the possessed animal also receive 8 Again. Possessing and leaving the animal is now a Reflexive Action. Mundane attempts to control animals for which he has the Bonded Condition suffer a penalty equal to his Lair, while supernatural attempts trigger a Clash Of Wills.

Satiety Expenditure: The Beast summons a phantasmagorical instance of a favored animal by rolling Manipulation + Animal Ken, which benefits from the Rote Quality if Satiety is Low. The summoned instance lasts for the scene and must be able to naturally survive in the current environment (e.g. no sharks on land). The instance cannot deal damage to living beings if Satiety is Normal, but can use Perception and perform Physical Actions. Each instance is represented as a Retainer with a rating equal to Successes when acting on its own [caps at 5]. Such animals have Health equal to [Retainer rating x 2] and a Speed equal to that of the Beast, but Defense and Initiative Modifiers of zero.

If Satiety is Low, the instance may cause damage to living beings using their [Retainer rating x 2] as a dice pool and dealing +0L. The Beast can possess his phantasmagorical animals as if they were real. However, if the Beast suffers lethal damage exceeding his Stamina or any amount of aggravated damage from a single attack during possession, all summoned animals immediately vanish and he gains the Stunned Tilt for turns equal to his [Lair]. The phantasmagoria may generate Lair Resonance via Traits like Swarms and Thunderous at ST discretion.
    Feels like a powered up, refined version of ArchonAres' and my Manyskin with a different twist. Very thematic, I like it.
    Some questions, if you allow:
    Using your own attributes saves some charting work, which is always good. However, that makes taking over e.g. a Grizzly less useful than a common house cat: the latter can hide better, reach more places, is less conspicious and would deal the same damage, have the same rate of success for just about every task. Is this intentional? (Not saying this is bad, just curious.)
    I feel like the size calculation is a bit too lenient - a starting Beast would be able to take over animals of size 12 - Grizzlies are size 7, Hippos size 10! This way, a Lair 2 Beast would already be capable of commanding African Elephants - not too much room for growth unless you dip into the sea. If you want to reflect some sort of power growth via Lair, I'd recommend lowering the starting size limit or changing the calculation wholesale (e.g. Size 3 + Lair). And leading back to the former: what happens when the animal takes PC's Health in damage?

This type of Atavism is an absolute must have for all Leshy, Lords of the Wood, Plantblooded, Swamp Thing-knockoffs, Ents, Demontrees and the like imo, good job!
    (Might I ask why the 'no sharks on land' restriction? I feel like this would be an awesome chance for 'ghost sharks' a la Love, Death and Robot's "Fish Night".)

Leave a comment:

• GibberingEloquence
    replied
    This Atavism was originally written by ArchonAres

Hydra's Regeneration [Namtaru]
    Like the namesake monster of Greek mythology, the Beast cannot be killed by dismemberment or even decapitation. Her extremities and head always grow back, and may even act independently after being severed to overwhelm his foes. Those who cannot escape will scream in agony as their flesh melts away.

Normal Satiety: You may detach any or all of your limbs as an instant action, and control them reflexively. They crawl and slither on their own for [Stamina + Lair] turns, during which they can lunge and attack. At the end of this time, or when your limbs are cut off by another, they must be reattached or you suffer an appropriate Tilt. Detached limbs may be used to manipulate objects and attack as though they were still attached. Each such limb is considered to use your own dice pools for Physical Actions, as well as your own Derived Traits (except for Defense, which is 0). But since you cannot detach sensory organs, such limbs cannot be controlled if outside your Perception range and become inert.

Each such limb has Health equal to your Stamina only. If your limbs have been lost or destroyed, the associated Tilt is permanent unless the Beast enters his Lair and spends 1 Satiety to grow back each limb. If he has Relentless Hunter, 1 Satiety grows back all limbs. A Beast can only have a number of ambulatory limbs outside of his Lair equal to [Lair x 2]. Inside the Lair, this number is increased to [Lair x 5]. If multiple limbs attack the same target, do not make separate rolls for each one. Instead, every limb after the first decreases the Defense of the victim by one. This Atavism does not apply to the Chosen Blades of Heroes.

Low Satiety: You may detach sensory organs and even your head reflexively. Anything that is detached grows back in the same turn, removing the associated Tilts. The detached body parts can now make Perception rolls if they are sensory organs. Limbs and your head have access to your Defense. You may also use Atavisms through the body parts, but not the Satiety Expenditure effect. For example: they could glide and climb walls through Wings Of The Raptor, or tear victims apart through Limb From Limb. You cannot use Nightmares through them, but they count as images of the Beast for In My Image. Every detached body part remains animate as long as Satiety is Low, but they must still be perceived directly by the Beast.

Satiety Expenditure: Regardless of where they are, the detached body parts violently spasm as if caught in death throes, and detonate in a blast of corrosive blood and gore. Anyone caught within melee combat distance of a detached body part must roll Dexterity + Athletics or suffer Lethal damage equal to the Stamina of the Beast. If the victim is being Grappled by a limb, they can make one last attempt to escape using Strength + Brawl, but they must spend 1 Willpower (which does not add dice). If the Satiety is Low, either roll to escape suffers Lair as a penalty and the damage inflicts Tilts. While inside the Lair, damage is equal to the Resistance of the Horror (maximum of 10).
    Last edited by GibberingEloquence; 06-05-2019, 07:40 PM.

Leave a comment:

• GibberingEloquence
    replied
    Original versions by danparadox

Mechanical Monster (Anakim)
    The crushing gears, the roaring engines, the pitiless motions of steel and oil. Though not all Beasts are drawn to machines, many feel a sympathy to the power and utility that such creations represent. Humanity has often ascribed its own traits to the machines it interacts with, taking comfort that the gears don't want to mutilate them. The Beast brutally destroys such flimsy notions of safety.

Normal Satiety: The Beast knows machines as it knows the flesh and bone that makes its body. He adds his Lair on all Crafts rolls for mechanical repairs, modifications and sabotaging. He does not need any tools, as metal bends and morphs with his touch alone. He never makes Extended Actions in the aforementioned circumstances, no matter the complexity of the task. His rolls always take one turn each.

He may use this effect to Craft Equipment, but any modifications must be possible via mundane means. This Atavism may stack with traits like Mimir's Wisdom and Automotive Genius, but does not affect technology that is mostly electronic/digital. Chosen Blades of Heroes are immune to this Atavism, but clever Beasts may use it to generate Lair Resonance via Traits like Crushing and Razored at ST discretion.

Low Satiety: When the Hunger grows, the tools of humanity are now submissive to the Beast. He gains the Rote Quality on all relevant Crafts rolls. Mundane attempts to detect or counter this suffer his Lair as a penalty, while supernatural attempts trigger a Clash Of Wills. If the Beast is detected or countered, he suffers the Shaken Condition. Furthermore, he may make such rolls at a distance of up to [Lair x 5] meters.

Satiety Expenditure: The Horror becomes fully visible and roars with the sound of a million hungry gears. Roll Intelligence + Crafts - Stamina against all directly perceptible targets within his immediate vicinity, dealing Aggravated damage equal to Successes + Lair. The result is nothing short of a horrifying massacre: victims are dragged screaming into mechanical maws.

Electric Enigma (Eshmaki)
    We may fool ourselves into thinking that we have tamed lightning, but many of us feel a certain sense of awe at natural displays of such elemental might. The Beast embodies this awe, as his veins course with electricity and he lashes out with it at his unsuspecting victims.

Normal Satiety: The Beast can roll Manipulation + Science to control the flow of electricity within [Lair x 10] meters. He may cause localized blackouts and other types of sabotage, and generally reduces the Equipment Bonus of all relevant technology by his [Lair]. Furthermore, he is immune to all damage from electricity.

Low Satiety: The range is increased to [Lair x 50] meters. If an Equipment has its Bonus reduced to zero and someone uses it regardless, Failures become Dramatic Failures (a Beat is still earned). The Beast may electrocute someone within the immediate vicinity of a preexisting electricity source inside the aforementioned radius by rolling Wits + Science - Defense.

This electrocution lasts for a number of turns equal to Lair and causes bashing damage each turn according to the type of source (see Beast The Primordial, page 171). The victim may roll Strength + Stamina - Lair each turn to break free. Mundane attempts to counter or detect the Beast's Normal Satiety effect suffer his Lair as a penalty, while supernatural attempts trigger a Clash Of Wills. If the Beast is detected or countered, he suffers the Shaken Condition. Those who die leave behind twitching, hairless corpses.

Satiety Expenditure: The Beast becomes living electricity for the scene. He may travel through wiring or other conductive material, crossing [Lair x 50] meters each turn. He gains a bonus to Defense and Initiative equal to [Lair/2 round up] and reduces all damage from ranged attacks to 1 bashing, or 2 bashing on an Exceptional Success. His Brawl attacks have a Bashing Damage Bonus equal to Lair and inflict the Stunned Tilt if damage exceeds the target's Stamina. If his Satiety is Low, he may also consider himself a source of electricity for the purposes of attacking others at range, with a Bashing Damage Bonus equal to his Lair and the option of Automatic Fire. His maximum range when using himself as the source of the blasts is equal to [Science x 10] meters.

Anyone who makes a Brawl or Weaponry attack against the Beast is electrocuted, unless they spend 1 Willpower point to ignore the effect for this turn (which does not add dice to the roll), or use a weapon made from a non-conductive material such as wood or most rocks. The Chosen Blades of Heroes ignore electrocution if they are melee, and deal full damage if they are ranged. While in the form of living electricity, the Beast cannot benefit from other traits that give a Damage Bonus, such as Limb From Limb or Cyclopean Strength. However, he may generate Lair Resonance via Traits like Electrified and Disruption at ST discretion. Those who die have their internal organs boil through their skin.
    Last edited by GibberingEloquence; 08-24-2019, 12:15 PM.

Leave a comment:

• espritdecalmar
    replied
    I wrote my own version of one of your Atavisms, espritdecalmar. What do you think?
    It's certainly a tad more powerful than my original, though I also believe that that was the very first homebrew Atavism I ever wrote, so I was still trying to get comfortable with the design space. The Satiety Expenditure effect is quite different, and contains echoes of Monster From the Deep, which I find interesting; it also requires less bookkeeping than mine--generally a good thing. Overall, I approve. Nice work!

Leave a comment:

• GibberingEloquence
    replied
    Since I have nothing better to do, I went ahead and rewrote one of ajf115's Atavisms.

In My Image (Ugallu)
    Humans have always drawn the likeness of gods and monsters and ascribed a mystical significance to such an act. The entities so captured in stone and ink are said to draw power from the devotion of those who gaze upon their icons. The Beast can likewise use images of himself to watch and influence potential victims from afar, who are seldom aware of how vulnerable such idols make them.

Normal Satiety: The Beast is instantly aware when any image of him is captured, by any medium. He does not know its exact location but can roll Perception to ascertain a rough direction and distance. This image need not be a picture. It could also be a statue or any other representation of the Beast. This ability only works if the image is within [Lair x 100] meters of the Beast’s current location.

The Beast may see and hear through any image of himself that he knows the location of within the aforementioned range. He may also edit it, but his likeness must stay recognizable. Extending your senses through an image and returning them to you both require an Instant Action. If the image is stored in a digital form, it can only be accessed while it is being displayed. He may not communicate verbally through the image, but may edit it to include a single written sentence, usually a foreboding one.

Low Satiety: As the Horror’s hunger grows, so does its perspicacity. The range is increased to [Lair x 500] meters and the Beast automatically knows the exact distance and direction of all images. Extending your senses through an image and returning them to you is now done reflexively. The Beast may communicate verbally through them, which allows Social rolls against observers.

His editing may thoroughly alter his likeness, usually to display his Horror. He may roll Manipulation + Intimidation - Resolve to inflict the Shaken or Frightened Condition, selected each time. Either action requires the victim to look directly at the image. More than one Beast has used an image of himself to haunt a victim in places they thought were safe. This may generate Lair Resonance via Traits like Exposed and Mirages at ST discretion.

Satiety Expenditure: The Beast may turn any of his images within range into a nightmarish vision of deadly terror. Roll Presence + Intimidation - Resolve, dealing Aggravated damage to all onlookers equal to Successes + Lair. Those who die appear to have suffered a horrible heart attack or seizure, with their skin turning deathly pale and their eyeballs turning completely black.
    Last edited by GibberingEloquence; 08-24-2019, 12:08 PM.

Leave a comment:

• GibberingEloquence
    replied
    I wrote my own version of one of your Atavisms, espritdecalmar. What do you think?

Draining Kiss [Namtaru]
    Humanity shudders in revulsion at those animals who consume their prey in a different way than simply eating the flesh. Spiders, lampreys, mosquitoes, and more all feed by drinking the nutrients from their victim's body. This revulsion is reflected in the monsters humans have made up in their nightmares: seductive vampires, breath-stealing hags and others, here to steal our blood, ichor, emotions, prana, or other such vital liquids. Naturally, such a primal fear finds representation among the Begotten.

Normal Effect: Every turn the Beast is in intimate physical contact with her victim, he receives 1 lethal damage, and the Beast heals 1 lethal or 2 bashing damage. Those who are killed by this Atavism tend to appear shriveled or desiccated. This Atavism is used as a Grapple. Many Beasts find it prudent to immobilize their target before beginning their ministrations.

Low Satiety: Appetites grow, and a Beast's belly is a greedy thing. The Beast may drain 1 Willpower point each turn instead of causing damage (up to his normal maximum). The experience can be ecstatic or agonizing, chosen by the Beast. When the victim runs out of Willpower or suffers more lethal damage than his Stamina as a result of this Atavism, roll Resolve + Composure - Lair. Failure causes the Swooned or Shaken Condition. A Dramatic Failure also causes the Addicted Condition. The victim suffers the Beast's Lair as a penalty to break free from the Grapple, and supernatural attempts trigger a Clash Of Wills. These drained Willpower points vanish at the end of the scene if not used.

Satiety Expenditure: The Beast can drain entire crowds of people at once, leaving behind piles of desiccated (and often smiling) corpses as his Horror becomes fully visible for a repulsive moment. He may target any and all directly perceptible victims within his immediate vicinity. Roll Presence + Persuasion - Composure. On a Success, all targets suffer Aggravated damage equal to Successes + Lair.
    Last edited by GibberingEloquence; 08-24-2019, 12:58 PM.

Leave a comment:

• GibberingEloquence
    replied
    Lord Of Animals (Eshmaki)
    While living in their walled cities, humans like to think they are safe from the predators of the wilderness. The Beast knows better and can watch his prey with the eyes of animals, ready to strike when it is least expected.

Normal Satiety: The Beast adds his Lair to all mundane Animal Ken rolls. When this Atavism is acquired, choose a number of Animal Ken Specialties equal to [Lair], which may be changed at the start of each chapter. The Beast can possess an animal represented by such Specialties through a roll of Wits + Animal Ken. Possessing and leaving the animal requires an Instant Action each. This lasts for [Lair] in minutes on a Success, and [Lair] in hours on an Exceptional Success.

Acceptable categories include specific ones like canines, birds, ungulates, arthropods and rodents, but not broad ones like carnivores or vertebrates. When training a favored animal in order to establish the Bonded Condition, the Beast never makes Extended Actions, ignores the animal's Resolve and needs no Equipment. His rolls always take one turn each, as the animals find him inherently trustworthy and worthy of respect.

The Beast remains aware of his surroundings while possessing a favored animal, and thus keeps his Defense and such. The targeted instance can be a swarm of critters with Size 0-2 and a radius of [Lair x 3] meters, or a single critter with Size of up to the Horror's Resistance. However, it must be within [Lair x 10] meters, or [Lair x 50] meters if it is a very uncommon animal. The Beast can do any action the animal could, but uses his own Attributes, Skills and Merits. The Beast can still communicate verbally while possessing the animal, but cannot use Atavisms.

Low Satiety: The Beast gains Rote Quality on all mundane Animal Ken rolls. Furthermore, he can extend any of his Atavisms through a possessed target. Possessing and leaving the animal is now a Reflexive Action. Mundane attempts to control or influence animals for which he has the Bonded Condition suffer a penalty equal to his Lair, while supernatural attempts trigger a Clash Of Wills.

Satiety Expenditure: Once per scene, the Beast can use one of his favored animals as a gateway into his Lair. He receives an automatic Success on the roll to open the Primordial Pathway, and adds his Animal Ken to his Resolve to determine how many turns it lasts.
    Last edited by GibberingEloquence; 08-24-2019, 11:52 AM.

Leave a comment:

• GibberingEloquence
    replied
    This Atavism was originally written in this thread by Evo_Shandor. I just changed it to fit my preferences.

Abominable Armament (Anakim) [Originally Written By Evo Shandor]
    In many legends, Giants wield massive weapons that can easily destroy whole armies. Those who saw such massacres and survived live in fear of ever facing such cruel might ever again. The Beast inherits this legacy and uses it to brutal effect against those who are foolish enough to fight him.

Normal Satiety: When this Atavism is acquired, choose a number of Weaponry Specialties equal to [Lair], which may be changed at the start of each chapter. The Beast can summon a melee weapon represented by such Specialties to his hand as a reflexive action. The Abominable Armament has no penalties to Initiative or Speed, and can be wielded effectively regardless of usual Strength prerequisites. Furthermore, it can be used with any suitable Fighting Styles, has a Damage Bonus equal to rating in [Lair] and deals Supernatural damage.

Low Satiety: The Beast's Weaponry attacks receive the Rote Quality and any supernatural attempt to disarm him or dodge his attacks triggers a Clash Of Wills. He also adds his Weaponry rating to his Initiative, and anyone who gets within melee range must roll Resolve + Composure - Lair or suffer the Shaken Condition.

Satiety Expenditure: The Beast swiftly cleaves through hordes of enemies in one massive swing as the Horror becomes fully visible for a terrifying moment. The Beast makes one attack roll and hits everyone within his immediate vicinity, applying Down And Dirty Combat. This stacks with the Rote Quality if Satiety is Low. Heroes are immune to Down And Dirty Combat inflicted by this effect and therefore require normal combat.
    Last edited by GibberingEloquence; 08-26-2019, 12:18 PM.

Leave a comment:

• GibberingEloquence
    replied
    Phantom Thief [Eshmaki]
    The avaricious always seek to closely guard their material belongings with a love they seldom show to other people. The Beast demonstrates the folly of their vices by casually taking away all their most prized treasures.

Normal Satiety: The Beast adds his Lair to all Larceny rolls and needs no tools when they would normally be required. Locks, safes and so on quickly twist open with his touch alone. Furthermore, he never needs to perform extended actions no matter the level of security: his rolls always take a turn each. This requires him to touch the target, so he may still be detected. The Beast may stack this Atavism with traits like From The Shadows and Sleight Of Hand. This Atavism does not work on the Chosen Blades of Heroes.

Low Satiety: The Beast gains Rote Quality on all Larceny rolls. He may also perform Larceny rolls at a distance of [Lair x 3] meters, but must still be able to directly perceive the item or its container. This represents the Horror ignoring intervening distances and directly manifesting stolen items in the Beast's hands. Mundane attempts to notice or counter this suffer his Lair as a penalty, while supernatural attempts trigger a Clash Of Wills.

Satiety Expenditure: For the rest of the scene, the Beast can enter and exit the Astral frequency of Twilight. This is done as an Instant Action if Satiety is Normal, or reflexively if Satiety is Low. During this, he can directly take a number of items equal to [Lair x 2] into his Lair, or from the Lair into his hands. The objects must be valid targets for Larceny and have a maximum size of [Lair + 5].
    Last edited by GibberingEloquence; 06-05-2019, 04:19 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Nyrufa
    replied
    GibberingEloquence Seems to be a marked improvement. I don't think I'm very skilled at creating a mechanically balanced Atavism, anyways.

Leave a comment:

• GibberingEloquence
    replied
    Nyrufa I decided to rewrite one of your Atavisms, what do you think?

Blood Of Medusa [Namtaru]
    Legend says that the mythical Gorgon's blood was so acidic that man made weapons would dissolve instantly upon piercing her flesh. The Beast inherits this defense mechanism, making her a walking chemical hazard.

Normal Satiety: Your blood contains acidic properties that rapidly break down foreign substances they come into contact with. Whenever a melee weapon inflicts Lethal damage to you, your blood causes it to suffer [Lair/2 round up] points of Structure damage, ignoring Durability. If the damage is inflicted with bare hands, the attacker suffers [Lair/2 round up] points of Lethal damage.

The Beast can cover a weapon with her blood without damaging it by suffering 1 Resistant Lethal damage. The corrosion effect lasts for her (10 - Satiety) in days. The Beast is immune to mundane poisons and diseases, and decreases the Toxicity rating of supernatural equivalents by her Lair, down to a minimum of 1. This Atavism does not affect Chosen Blades of Heroes.

Low Satiety: When your Hunger flares, your blood does too. You deal your full Lair in Structure damage and the blood sprays outward into the immediate vicinity, affecting all objects caught within and characters who fail a Dexterity + Athletics - Lair roll. Your blood can also melt through supernatural barriers and protections with a successful Clash Of Wills. She can suppress this effect at will without a roll if she wishes to avoid hurting bystanders.

Satiety Expenditure: A dormant curse flows through the veins of the Beast, and for a brief moment, they can awaken its full potential. Reduce all attacks caused this turn by a Lethal weapon to a single point of damage. The weapons are also destroyed in the process, as their material components are dissolved instantly upon breaking the skin. Lethal damage inflicted by unarmed attacks cause the enemy to suffer [Lair] points of Lethal damage and receive an appropriate Tilt in the process.
    Last edited by GibberingEloquence; 08-24-2019, 12:32 PM.

Leave a comment:

• GibberingEloquence
    replied
    Flesh Artisan [Namtaru]
    The human body, for all of its flaws, is a sacred temple. The Gorgon contemptuously violates such sanctity and uses others' forms as his canvas for wicked and revolting experiments.

Normal Satiety: The Beast adds his Lair to all mundane Medicine rolls and needs no tools. He numbs pain, stops bleeding and unfurls the flesh like a lotus. Furthermore, he never needs to perform extended actions no matter the seriousness of the wounds or illnesses: his rolls always take a turn each. This requires him to touch the target first, so Defense will apply if they are unwilling.

Low Satiety: The Beast gains Rote Quality on all Medicine rolls. He may thoroughly alter the victim's appearance as an Instant Action. This can only make changes that could naturally occur in a human, such as changing their age, sex, ethnicity and such. This lasts for (10 - Satiety at the time of the roll) days on a Success, or weeks on an Exceptional Success. This may cause a bonus or penalty to all relevant Social rolls equal to [Lair]. Doing this inflicts the Leveraged Condition, which can represent the victim wanting to stay as their ideal self or return to their previous form.

Satiety Expenditure: The Beast rolls [highest between Dexterity + Medicine - Stamina as an Instant Action to warp and twist the flesh of his victims into impossible shapes, which lasts for the scene. For every dot of Lair, select one of the following. Other modifications may be chosen at ST discretion.
    • Natural Weaponry: Brawl attacks deal +2L with Armor Piercing 2.
    • Tough Hide: Armor 2/2.
    • Redundant Organs: Ignore one type of Physical Tilt altogether.
    • Bestial Perception: A new type of sense, such as thermal vision, tracking by scent and echolocation.
    • Bestial Swiftness: A new type of locomotion, such as wings, breathing underwater, camouflage or digging through the ground.
    Last edited by GibberingEloquence; 08-24-2019, 12:30 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Strictura
    replied
    Digital Gargoyle [Ugallu]
    In their arrogance, humans surround themselves with ever more advanced technology, not paying attention to how vulnerable it makes them. All it takes is one surgical strike at the right infrastructures to make their empires of steel and silicon fall apart.

Normal Satiety: The Beast can roll Wits + Computers to perceive the surroundings and active usage of any digital technology within [Lair x 10] meters. If he has another Atavism that enhances his senses (such as Needs Must) or mental faculties (such as Mimir's Wisdom), he may combine the relevant effects. Merits such as Investigative Aide may also apply. He retains awareness of his own surroundings while doing this and may thus benefit from Defense and so on.

Low Satiety: The range of the Normal Satiety effect is now measured in kilometers. The Beast rolls one automatic Success on all Computers rolls, plus the actual results on the dice. Furthermore, he can roll Intelligence + Computers to take full control of any such device for a number of hours equal to Successes during this scene. He can turn it on and off, use programs, edit files, delete information, implant false clues and so on. If the device is connected to others through a network or a similar setup, he may affect any and all connected devices simultaneously. Attempts to detect or counter this suffer his Lair as a penalty.

Satiety Expenditure: The Beast can use digital technology as a means of manifesting Lair Traits during this scene. Should his Satiety be Normal, choose one device within range as a manifestation point and use two Minor Traits or one Major Trait. Should his Satiety be Low, you manifest the aforementioned Lair Trait(s) around any or all connected devices. Do not make separate rolls or spend Willpower points: you achieve an automatic Success and add your Computers to your Resolve to determine how many turns it lasts.

I hope you don't mind. I love this Atavism and this idea is perfect for a Beast character of mine. I changed it quite a bit to use it for him:

In the time before man tamed electricity and built his great cities, he lived on the edge of the wild. In that era the monsters were found between the dark trees of the forest. How many stories did they tell to scare each other, to impart lessons, that featured the words “into the woods.” Now, in their arrogance, humans surround themselves with ever more advanced technology. Technology which outstrips the ability of most of them to understand. In lack of understanding there is fear. The new woods are digital. Modern man fears what’s at the end of the wire; be it the government, AI, Aliens or something less definable. In chat rooms and private networks, the modern cautionary fable often features “clicked on the link.”
    Dice Pool: Wits + Computer (Normal Effect); Intelligence + Computer (Low Satiety)
    Action: Instant
    Normal Effect: The Beast’s Horror is not constrained to the Beast’s own physical body, he can roll Wits + Computer to suffuse his Horror into any technological network that has at least one active device in a location he is occupying. The Beast can inhabit any connected devices in this location, plus those in an additional location per dot of Lair he possesses. This can represent rooms connected by a security system, computer labs currently connected via the internet or streets on the city’s traffic grid. They only need to be connected via technology, physical distances between parts of this network do not matter.
    While connected to this network the Beast can extend his senses through it. This is a strange form of perception. To the Beast the screens of monitors are like dozens of hazy eyes, the cables vibrate like bones in an ear. If a device connected to the network has a camera or audio receiver the Beast can access it and gains any benefit it possesses on top of the Beasts usual perception. For example, he could access a stream of night vision camera footage, and even copy it. He may download and retain information from connected devices within his own mind as if he was a computer with storage capacity equal to his Lair x 10 in Gigabytes. He may later download this stored information to a compatible device with another use of this Atavism.
    Low Satiety: The hungry Beast is restless, his Horror trying to stretch to its prey even if its limbs are made of data and electrical wiring. If he is networked into a device the Beast can roll Intelligence + Computers to take full control of it. He can turn it on and off, use programs, edit files, delete information and so on. If the device is connected to anything that can have a physical impact on the environment the Beast can use this as well. A clever Beast could use a factories robot assembly line to dismember a hero in seconds or delete an entire schools academic record (including the ‘fool proof’ backup.) This is beyond simply using the technology, to the Horror it is the Beasts body. Attempts to detect or counter the Beast’s actions suffer the Beasts Lair as a penalty. This includes defense against attacks made with the technology the Beast inhabits. If another Beast using this Atavism, or a creature with a similar power, tries to override or counter the Beasts actions it triggers a Clash of Wills.
    Satiety Expenditure: By spending a point of Satiety the Beast can use the network he inhabits as a means of manifesting his Lair Traits. When using this ability, the affected locations count as having one of the Beasts Minor Lair traits in effect for the purpose of manifesting additional Lair Traits. When the Lair Trait(s) manifest the effect seems to spread outward from the device(s) the Beast is inhabiting. The Normal Effect allows the Beast to manifest his Lair Traits, up to his usual maximum, within one of the network locations for a scene. At Low Satiety the Lair Traits simultaneously manifest within every location affected by the Atavism for a scene.

SIDEBOARD: If the Beast has another Atavism or power that enhances his senses (such as Needs Must) or mental faculties (such as Mimir's Wisdom), he may combine the relevant effects with this one. Merits such as Investigative Aide or Connected Lair may also apply at the Storytellers discretion.

Leave a comment:

• GibberingEloquence
    replied
    In their arrogance, humans surround themselves with ever more advanced technology, not paying attention to how vulnerable it makes them. All it takes is one surgical strike at the right infrastructures to make their empires of steel and silicon fall apart.

Normal Satiety: The Beast can roll Wits + Computers to perceive the surroundings and active usage of any digital technology within [Lair x 10] meters. If he has another Atavism that enhances his senses (such as Needs Must) or mental faculties (such as Mimir's Wisdom), he may combine the relevant effects. Merits such as Investigative Aide and Connected Lair may also apply at ST discretion. He retains awareness of his own surroundings while doing this and may thus benefit from Defense and so on.

Low Satiety: The range becomes [Lair x 50] meters and the Beast gains Rote Quality on all mundane Computers rolls. He can roll Intelligence + Computers as an Instant Action to take full control of a device within range for a number of hours equal to Successes during this scene. He can turn it on/off, use programs, edit files, delete information, implant false clues and so on.

Should the devices have extensions that can physically interact with their surroundings, the Beast may hi-jack these extensions as if they were part of the Horror. He uses his own Skills, but replaces Physical Attributes with the equivalent Mental Attributes. Switching between viable devices requires an Instant Action. He may only switch devices a number of times equal to [Lair] each scene. Mundane attempts to detect or counter his hi-jacking suffer his Lair as a penalty, while supernatural attempts trigger a Clash Of Wills. If the Beast is detected or countered, he gains the Shaken Condition.

Satiety Expenditure: Once each scene, the Beast can use digital technology within range as a gateway into his Lair. You achieve an automatic Success on the roll to open the Primordial Pathway, and add your Computers to your Resolve to determine how many turns it lasts.
    Last edited by GibberingEloquence; 08-24-2019, 12:22 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X