No announcement yet.

Beast inspiration

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you like period pieces, Requiem from the Darkness (opening) works well as Beast game set in 19th century Japan. A collection of horror stories connected by a recurring cast, the protagonist is a would-be author trying to assemble a thousand different ghost stories. But every time he hears about a new (ongoing) one, it turns out to be some crook hiding behind traditional myths. Until one rainy night, when he stumbles across a strange trio - a one eyed midget, an oddly dressed woman, and a giant who never seems to open his eyes (or stop smiling) . . .

As a whole, Requiem plays out as an (adult) anti-Scooby Doo series, where a trio of Beasts use their combined Nightmares to torment (and usually kill) sinners who try to divert attention from their crimes with the trappings of classic ghost stories, making their lies "real".. If these evil-doers want supernatural horror, they'll give them supernatural horror. . .

The only downside is that the show doesn't seem to have been intended for anyone other than a domestic audience. Most of the ghost stories referenced are classic Japanese ones, and the show assumes you already know them . . . so an American (et al) viewer may not grasp what's going on until close to the finale of each episode.

As for Tokko (opening) . . . Five bucks says the author of Beast watched Tokko before doing the second draft. If you want an idea for what a Homecoming (or better yet, a Devouring) looks like, Tokko has you covered. In need of power to protect his friends, a young cop opens himself up to his darkest dreams . . . and from out of the shadowy nothingness a giant looms, dressed only in ragged bandages. A massive hand picks him up, pulling him towards a face with no eyes . . . and a mouth filled with teeth that could crush a minivan . . .

In the wake of a series of odd disasters and attacks, the Tokyo police force commissions a special task force. Known among the ranks as "Tokko", the new task force has a reputation for being aloof, disdaining uniforms for leather and kicking out the regular police on emergency calls. Rumors swirl among the younger officers that Tokko's actually fighting monsters . . .

So much you could borrow for Beast . . . there's even a proto-Hero involved. Unfortunately, though, the show seems to have been cancelled halfway through its first season. The writers start rushing plot points, and the finale . . .it almost feels like they were trying to compress an entire season into the last two-three episodes, while simultaneously leaving things open for a followup or sequel.
    Last edited by One Vorlon; 07-25-2015, 05:54 AM.

Comment

Hell Girl is similar as well.

Comment

Mother Gothel from Disney's Rapunzel. An Anakim* Tyrant who keeps Rapunzel prisoner in her Lair as a regular source of food.

* I had to dig closer to the origonal stories to chose a Family

“There are no rules. Only Principles and natural laws.” - Promethius
        My Homebrew no longer fits in a signature, you can find an index of it here.
        Full length fan-books I contributed too: Princess: the Hopeful, Leviathan: the Tempest, Dream Catchers

Comment

Looking at movies . . . tell me that Bilbo's monologue (about the coming of Smaug) doesn't sound exactly like the story of a Beast. A king who has forgotten that his true wealth lay in his family and followers, not some pretty rocks they'd dug up. So even as they fought for their lives (and his) against the dragon, he rushed into the depths after the Arkenstone . . .

After all, where sickness is allowed to thrive, bad things will walk . . .

And on a literary note, I like Edgar Allan Poe's "Masque of the Red Death" and H.P. Lovecraft's "The Doom that Came to Sarnath". In the first, a wealthy prince absconds to the countryside, as the plague known as the red death rages across. After all, why should he care about some sick peasants? He's wealthy, surrounded by friends, partying every night . . . the feared disease is a distant thought, at best. Until the big masquerade, when one person dares to show up dressed as a plague victim . . .

As for the men of Sarnath . . . Long ago, they murdered the flabby Beings from Ib en masse, carting their god/idol away as a "battle" trophy. And every year, on the anniversary of the massacre, the men of Sarnath would throw a wild bacchanal to celebrate, openly mocking and profaning the idol of Bokrug, blatantly daring it to do something . . .

Comment

I like to think of the Batter from the indie RPG "OFF" as a Hero. His quest to purify the Zones by killing their Guardians and anyone that stands in his way is perfectly illustrative of the demented conviction and callousness of Heroes. Granted, the world of OFF is very bleak. Whether or not the Batter is justified is left up to the player to decide. That kind of moral ambiguity is a defining trait of the conflicts between Beasts and Heroes.

Seriously, OFF is an amazing game, and far from the genre's conventions. I don't even think it is pretentious to call it an experience. Its surreal and creepy visuals for environments and monsters are also good inspiration for Atavisms, Nightmares and Lairs. Its bizarre and atmospheric soundtrack would not be out of place in a Silent Hill game. You should experience it for yourself, but you can watch Markiplier's Let's Play instead.
            Last edited by GibberingEloquence; 09-06-2015, 11:06 AM.

"Fate is a cruel jester with a finely developed sense of irony." - Sir Night as portrayed by Leliel, The Horror Recognition Guide

Comment

Mine are Fight Club, the Rockinrolla, Paranoia Agent, xxxHolic, and the Equalizer.

Crunch isn't a hobby; it's a calling.

Comment

I kind of want to play a Beast based on Wilson Fisk, from the Daredevil Netflix series. He's most likely an Anakim, and very definitely a Tyrant, for all that he couches his ambition in terms of benevolence. The other crime bosses he meets with form his Brood.

Comment

Originally posted by WarDragon View Post
                  I kind of want to play a Beast based on Wilson Fisk, from the Daredevil Netflix series. He's most likely an Anakim, and very definitely a Tyrant, for all that he couches his ambition in terms of benevolence. The other crime bosses he meets with form his Brood.
                  And I always thought of the Daredevil as an Eshmaki Nemesis.

Genius: the Transgression 2E is a thing that's being worked on.

Comment

Count D from Petshop of Horrors is an Eshmaki Nemeses. He owns a pet store which in addition to selling ordinary critters to everyday customers, he also sells mythical creatures to special clients he deems worthy. Unfortunately these pets have very strict living conditions and Count D requires the customer to agree to a legally binding contract before they can take the pet home. If they break the contract (which most of them tend to do), they're attacked and often (but not always) killed by their new pet, after which D arrives to retrieve it back for his pet store again.

Comment

Personally, I'm a strong believer that Beast needs to be as dark, disturbing, and creepy as possible. However, while reorganizing my library, I actually ran across a couple of books that would work well as the foundation for a more kid-friendly campaign.

Eth Clifford's Scared Silly maps into Beast quite well. When an impulsive side trip leaves two young girls (Mary Rose & Jo-Beth) and their father stuck at an . . . interesting museum, they find themselves smack dab in the family drama of the Harpers. The family home is a not-quite-Euclidean hodgepodge of strange rooms (a Lair?), while Uncle Gus (a Beast?) lives in the dark basement, Collecting exotic shoes from around the world, and building strange devices. Uncle Razandel (who strikes me as an oWoD pooka) can't stop cosplaying and taking on dramatic personae (we first meet him dressed as the White Rabbit from Alice in Wonderland). The housekeeper looks and sounds suspiciously like an old basset hound (a nWoD changeling?) . . .

And as the two girls explore the bizarre old mansion - built partially with the help of various "magicians" - the normal rules are increasingly suspended (Uncle Razandel's multi-story slide - with "improved" nursery rhymes - is particularly memorable/cute). But when some of Uncle Gus's rarest and most valuable shoes turn up missing, the evidence points to an inside job . . .

For a kid-friendly game, you could easily rip off the mystery of the missing shoes. Or you could focus more on the Eric subplot - Uncle Gus and his . . . interesting "family" are trying to raise an apparently normal human boy. Which could be a fun idea to explore.

Another book worth a look would be Patricia C. Wrede's Dealing with Dragons. The initial setup is traditional fantasy, but its got a lot of good ideas for a kid-friendly Beast campaign. When the headstrong Cimorene finds out her parents have arranged a marriage for her - to an idiot princeling from a neighboring kingdom - she finds an unconventional way out. She runs away, and volunteers to be a dragon's "kidnapped" princess.

And the book gives a lot of insight into what it would be like to be the retainer to a Beast. Cimorene's dragon (apparently a Collector of magical books and artifacts) has an extensive hoard that needs sorted, and taking care of a dragon is infinitely more interesting than needlework (or marrying her moronic fiancé). Even cooking has an air of adventure - borrowing a crepe pan involves a trip to a local witch.

Dealing with the other dragons' princesses, coping with a giant bird Begotten (who wants to eat her), navigating the Caves of Fire and Night (the dragons' massive shared Lair/Hive) . . . There's even a Hero. Cimorene's moronic fiancé goes Hero, and becomes a recurring nuisance. How is she supposed to finish organizing the magic swords, when she has to keep talking him out of getting killed in a (pointless) duel with her dragon?

Neither book has quite the feel of the Beast drafts, but if you wanted to run a game for a younger crowd . . . definitely worth a look. They take full advantage of the inherent weirdness of a Beast's Lair, and their Hungers . . . without being overtly monstrous or horrific.

Comment

The RPG Monsters and Other Childish Things might serve as good inspiration for Beast. Doubly so if you combine the game with Innocents.

Comment

The Oddities of Bakemonogatari and it's sequel series? Young ladies being linked to strange spirits because of some infraction sounds like a Beast Devouring to me.

Comment

Plenty of monsters you can pull from Cthulhu Mythos. One of my players has a horror based off of the many masks of Nyarlathotep. His hunger is taking of identities.

Comment

Has anyone else here played an online ARPG called Path of Exile? The first act boss, Merveil, is a very good example of a Makara Predator, who underwent the Merger inheritance. She was a noblewoman and famous singer, who was given a cursed necklace, that slowly transformed her into a squid-like Siren, with the ability to mimic her former beauty to lure in prey.

Comment

I found what's possibly the weirdest inspiration for an Anakim:

Genius: the Transgression 2E is a thing that's being worked on.

Comment

Working...
                                X