Beast inspiration

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by solidork View Post
    This seems so obvious that I'm sure it must have been said before, but what about Batman? The whole point of his persona is to strike primeval fear into the hearts of criminals. He sure as hell hungers for punishment, has a lair, and I've never really bought that his cape could let him glide like he does...
    This has been brought up before, and I agree. I prefer to think of him an as Ugallu.

Let Him Speak.

Comment

I'm gonna say this is an Anakim
      http://41.media.tumblr.com/89d42f94e...o9_r1_1280.jpg

This is a Namtaru
      https://cdn1.artstation.com/p/assets...jpg?1443928015

Also this is a Namtaru
      https://cdn0.artstation.com/p/assets...jpg?1443927632

This is an Anakim, but considering it looks like it's bursting out of a volcano or mountain where it's been for ages I could also see an argument for the least indicative Makara around
      http://digital-art-gallery.com/picture/big/12803

I saw this and my immediate thought is this is a Beast trying to wake up it's Tyrant Horror from a food coma
      http://www.art-spire.com/wp-content/...odi_Jin_07.jpg

Comment

Here's a Makara Predator

This one's definitely a Makara of some kind, although I'm not sure about its Hunger.

I think that these would make some rather unique Ugallu. Perhaps Nemeses, for the 'you can't hide from our eyes' thing? They could be Anakim as well, I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by ajf115 View Post
          Here's a Makara Predator

[ATTACH=CONFIG]temp_396_1462182611150_809[/ATTACH]

This one's definitely a Makara of some kind, although I'm not sure about its Hunger.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]temp_398_1462182764508_499[/ATTACH]

I think that these would make some rather unique Ugallu. Perhaps Nemeses, for the 'you can't hide from our eyes' thing? They could be Anakim as well, I guess.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]temp_399_1462182847075_889[/ATTACH]

Aj something is wrong with your pics none of them loaded it seems.

Comment

Originally posted by nalak42 View Post
            Aj something is wrong with your pics none of them loaded it seems.
            Whoops. I'm not sure what happened there.

Comment

Lovecraft's "The Outsider" is a perfect example of the Devouring/Homecoming, probably of a Namtaru.

Let Him Speak.

Comment

Hogfather by Terry Pratchett has some interesting similarities. The original Bogeyman turned Tooth Fairy is an example of a monster that cares. And Mr. Teatime, while more of a Slasher than a Hero, would be a very, very upsetting sort of Hero to encounter in a game.

Comment

It's pronounced "Teh-ah-tim-eh".

~

Comment

Going Under the Bed

Comment

(I'm not sure if thread necromancy is a rule on Onyx Path boards - if so and a mod sees this please feel free to split into a new thread)

So I've spent the last few days checking out the Beast movies recommended in the core book, and it's been an interesting experience I thought I would share.Here are my opinions in watching order:

Tucker & Dale vs Evil: I like this one, although I feel it could have been even better. It's very well done, just thought it could have done with a few extra laughs and twists. The main romance felt a bit too "good guy gets the girl as a prize" to me. But to me the Beast value definitely was in the bad guy. Like the core book says, he's a very interesting example of Hero attitude. I won't say much more to avoid spoilers, but his relationship with the main characters is very reminiscent of the Beast/Hero connection.

Feast: That one I felt about in the opposite way: I quite liked the story and content, but it could clearly have used some better production values (I'm conscious it was made on a low budget, however). The small profiles on screen had me laugh out loud a few times (special mention for the Life Expectancy of the Vet). Beast value is... I'm not sure what it is? The main characters don't feel like Heroes, and the monsters are as basic as can be. I think perhaps the interest is in how people in the movie actually react to extreme situations as people, and NOT as movie heroes.

Nightbreed (two hours, blue ray Cabal cut): OK, that movie was like a revelation to me and clearly the "Beast-est" of all the ones I watched. The society of disparate monsters, who run the gamut from "Mindless killers and cannibals" to "people who just want to raise their children and pets in peace", was oddly touching to me. I guess I just felt a connection with the "freaks", and I feel a lot of people will too. Plus in a way the Nightbreed induct new members through a Devouring of their own. The sheriff and therapist (played by David Cronenberg - how's that for horror cred??) are also good examples of Heroes, who seem to gather followers way too easy, as if people were just looking for an excuse to shoot things. If you haven't seen it I highly recommend it.

Bonus round!

High on Clive Barker's work I decided to check out Candyman, and I really enjoyed it as well. I was surprised at both the setting - the Chicago projects - and the main protagonist, a non-victimized woman.Plus the movie plays a lot with notions of legends, fear, and consequences, such that I felt it actually was a really good fit for Beast. Candyman himself and his relationship with bees seem like a perfect example of the Infestation Atavism.The ending I won't spoil but exemplifies another key Beast concept to me.

Anyway, thanks to the Beast authors for listing these - movies I might never have watched had they not been mentioned. I might need to dig into the other core books for other recommendations!

Comment

Tsukihime they have a weapon designed with the horn of a unicorn in it to counter reincarnation. A unicorn horn is used because in that setting Unicorns are believed to eat souls. To quote the wiki on the weapon
                        Originally posted by Type Moon Wikia: Seventh Scripture
                        Created by felling a Unicorn, a beast said to consume souls, they used its horn as a key,

Comment

Was just thinking Diana from Lights Out might make a Decent Beast... I think.

Light and Dark are two Sides of a Coin... Humanity is What Happens when it Lands on it's Edge.

Comment

Is it just me or could Baal from The Wicked + The Divine be a Tyrant with a thunderbird-like Horror?

Comment

Death Parade and Ravenous.

SWTOR Referal: http://www.swtor.com/r/JQ2nqy

Comment

Kind of showing my ineptitude here, but, after actually reading Beast, the player character Torque from "The Suffering" duology actually feels to me a lot like a very violence-prone Anakim. His "freak mode" power up even feels a little like using Avatisms to brutalize the assorted horrors he meets in the game.

Comment

Working...
                                X