Beast inspiration

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beast inspiration

I was just thinking about it and the movie Hellraiser makes good inspiration for Beast. what do you guys think and what else would make good inspiration.

I'm currently playing a dragon Souled* Annakim Tyrant who is inspired by Nightbane from AQ classic(Hunger is for the power that comes from being the ultimate predator) and the Dracowerepyre from AQ Worlds(In starting a dragon)

*We're using the pre revision rules for various reasons.

I'm an aspergic individual. This means that I can't imagine how others will react to situations. This has led to me accidentally offending someone, and has also led to me being less clear in statements than I thought I was. I'd like to apologize, and ask that others don't get mad, but just ask me to reword or clarify. Thank you

Comment

Pfft, I wanna make a Beast inspired by The Thing, but I can't think of what kind of atavisms or nightmares would be appropriate for it.

Comment

A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness. One of my favourite books and it actually is about a monster teaching a young kid important life lessons.

Despite my views on Beast that monster makes it work. Partly because he's very careful about choosing his targets, and partly because he's actually a tutor and doesn't just scare the kid (in fact the kid doesn't find him that scary) but also sits down to teach lessons.
        Last edited by The Kings Raven; 07-19-2015, 04:51 PM.

“There are no rules. Only Principles and natural laws.” - Promethius
        My Homebrew no longer fits in a signature, you can find an index of it here.
        Full length fan-books I contributed too: Princess: the Hopeful, Leviathan: the Tempest, Dream Catchers

Comment

I think 1982's Conan the Barbarian (trailer) works well as the story of a Hero pursuing a snake-themed Collector. Thulsa Doom (the James Earl Jones character) . . . being a Beast explains the snake transformation, the intense desire for rare steel weapons (and later, women) . . .

And Conan works well as a Hero opposed to such a Beast. Both in the movie, and the short stories, Conan is an avaricious narcissist who barely recognizes the rights of others. Grave robber, burglar, bandit, and (in the short stories) kidnapper, if Conan wants something, he just takes it - and woe to anyone who gets in his way. Which according to the drafts, is the hallmark of a Hero obsessed with a Collector.
          Last edited by One Vorlon; 07-19-2015, 04:16 PM.

Comment

I'd say that the Incredible Hulk is a pretty good example of an Anakim Beast that doesn't like being a Beast. He keeps it bottled up, then when the big guy gets too hungry, and he gets angry, goes wild feeding a Hunger for Ruin until his Horror overeats and falls asleep.

Genius: the Transgression 2E is a thing that's being worked on.

Comment

Hellraiser hits some of the themes, but it isn't a perfect fit. Some other sources of inspiration could be Nightmare on Elm Street, Nightbreed, Jeepers Creepers, Saw, Stay Alive, Silent Hill, and Pumpkinhead.

Comment

Pumpkinhead would be a Gorgon Nemesis. He was horribly abused as a child because he was deformed and after a group of bullies tossed him down a well, he became a demon of vengeance.

Silent Hill would also be a Nemesis, although I don't know what type of Beast it would fall under. The main theme about Silent Hill focuses on people who are racked with guilt over an event in their past and they have to confront their inner demons in order to move on with their lives. Silent Hill isn't just a place filled with monsters, it's your own personal hell and the monsters within it are inspired by your subconscious.

Jeepers Creepers is an Ugallu Collector. At first, you might think he's a Predator because he eats people, but anything he eats becomes a part of him. When he's awake, he goes off searching for new body parts to replace his worn out ones.

Nightmare on Elm's Street is definitely a Eshmaki Predator who's soul managed to free itself from the physical world. He preyed on children in life, luring them away and killing them, then after his death he continued to hunt where nobody could protect them, inside their nightmares which is absolutely perfect for this setting!

Comment

I don't think the Silent Hill one fits 100%

I'm an aspergic individual. This means that I can't imagine how others will react to situations. This has led to me accidentally offending someone, and has also led to me being less clear in statements than I thought I was. I'd like to apologize, and ask that others don't get mad, but just ask me to reword or clarify. Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by Rater202 View Post
                    I don't think the Silent Hill one fits 100%

Not from the movie's stand point which was about the girl killing everybody for what they did to her. But from what I've been able to interprit from the video game's story lines, it largely focuses on dealing with your inner demons. The demons and monsters are twisted reflections of the protagonist's psyche.

Pyramid Head is the physical embodiment of guilt and the secret desire to be punished for your actions. Those who are unable to overcome their guilt become a Pyramid Head, showing that they are the cause of their own suffering.
                    Last edited by Nyrufa; 07-20-2015, 01:09 AM.

Comment

Here's th thing, not every game is about punishing people, and Pyramid Head is only in like, three of the games(though the Boogey Man from Downpour filled a similar Role)

I mean, 1, 3, and The Room don't really have anything to do with punishment, at least as far as the protagonist is concerned, and I don't think Origin does either, and Homecoming has more to do with Madness and people doing horrible actions to keep supernatural powers at bay, rather than supernatural powers punishing people(though the victims of those horrible things, on the other hand... But well, that's not Silent Hill doing it.)

Pyramid Head works good as a Nemesis, but Silent Hill itself isn't a Beast-It's one seriously powerful and majorly fucked up City Spirit

Comment

I was thinking of Silent Hill, the place, as a hive, but if you can relate the character then that works too.

Comment

Hannibal. For me, it's super inspiring for Beast. Across many characters and many themes

"The phrase 'flies on the heads of pins' appeared 43 times in that journal, sometimes in the middle of sentences or written in the margins."

Comment

Originally posted by Nyrufa View Post
                            Silent Hill would also be a Nemesis, although I don't know what type of Beast it would fall under. The main theme about Silent Hill focuses on people who are racked with guilt over an event in their past and they have to confront their inner demons in order to move on with their lives. Silent Hill isn't just a place filled with monsters, it's your own personal hell and the monsters within it are inspired by your subconscious.
                            Silent Hill series is totally the Hive of Eshmaki ( monsters hidden in the Mist, Darkness entombing the victim ) and Makara ( represed knowlegede and memories ) Beasts following Hunger of Punishment that share a Lair with Chambers based on their small home town. Mortals got lost in body in this place of wicked Brood that wants to teach them various lessons about their life - or just to scare them to (almost) death or insanity by the various smaller monsters, each one being part of greater Horrors that are "Guardians" of the town. Beasts are half insane, and lost the reason to differ normal humans from "Heroes", so they assume each one visiting them is there to kill them - and they fight back as much as they can.

It's only beg a question: Is there good powers in the Beast game to let you create smaller dream actors in your Lair? Like the Guardians to create normal series monsters? So they could send them on the "Heroes" visiting the Lair, before confrontation with Guardians themselves...

This all made me want to revisit Silent Hill WoD fan setting PDF to update it with Beasts take on it!
                            Last edited by wyrdhamster; 07-24-2015, 04:07 AM.

My stuff for Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E & BtP
                            LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

The anime Betterman (Japanese trailer) works very well as the story of a techgnostic cabal stumbling across two feuding groups of Beasts. Pursuing the secret of "Algernon", a Mystery that forces tech-savvy individuals to use those skills to kill, the cabal enters an amusement park full of killer animatronics. Just as they're about to be overwhelmed by the murderous machines, a strange figure leaps into the fray . . . and where once there was a man, a giant bone dragon now stands.

The writers couldn't help throwing in a couple giant mecha, but the focus really is on the Beasts (there are a couple of Slashers thrown in, too). Turns out a back-to-the-land Beast, working with another cabal of mages, has developed a new Nightmare, "Technology is Driving Us Insane!" Using it indiscriminately, he and his allies have caught the eye of another Beast, one with a Hunger for Punishment . . .

You'd have to tweak things here and there, but Betterman has a lot of great ideas you could borrow for a Beast campaign. Lots of ideas for how Beasts fight one another, or assault an enemy's stronghold . . . The toilet-paper mummy attack was quite disturbing.

Betterman has just been re-licensed for the U.S., so new copies should be available any day now
                              Last edited by One Vorlon; 07-24-2015, 04:22 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Working...
                              X