Slenderman for a horror?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slenderman for a horror?

In Beast the horrors are often described as, well, beasts. There's dragons, kraken, giant birds of prey and the like, but what about a more modern take on it? Like the title suggests, I'm talking about stuff like Slenderman, but where would you draw the line? Would you let someone's horror be Golden Freddy from FNAF? A Dalek from Doctor Who? A radioactive specter born from dropping the atomic bombs that ended WWII?

What would you say you're favorite "modern" horror is?

Personally, I've always liked the idea of Spring Heeled Jack 'cuz I' my weird like that.

The first draft mentioned "plague zombies" as a possible Soul/Horror - and those are only about forty-fifty years old. Night of the Living Dead really created the concept . . . so you can do more contemporary (or human-like) Beasts.

Edit: I've always liked Slenderman as a modern day incarnation of Nyarlathotep. Wrong game line, though

Comment

In general, I'd say go for it. Notably, I'd focus on pitching the idea less on familiarity and more on nature. Why is a Five Nights at Freddie's character scary? Why is a Dalek scary? Focus on those when building your character.

As for the second question, what is "modern"? Because if you mean within the last century, then the Alien Invader. Just a classic that helped to shape the genre in a lot of ways.

Comment

You know how in the game where you have to collect the 8 pages while Slendy stalks you, one of the pages says "always watches, no eyes"? And how Slendy is apparently capable of being anywhere without you noticing he's watching you? That may suggest Ugallu, but a big part of what makes him scary is how little we know about him and how he could be right behind you. Besides, it isn't like people are scared of Slendy because he knows how to expose your secrets or what have you. I'd say he is an Eshmaki. Several theories exist that try to explain why he kidnaps people, often children. One of them says he is a faerie who punishes bad children by scaring them half to death, and only allows them to go back home if they admit what they did. That would suggest Hunger For Punishment. However, I find it more likely that his habit of stalking, tormenting, kidnapping and supposedly killing people is caused by Hunger For Prey. He might have Kinship with True Fae, allowing him to develop Nightmares for locating and stalking people more effectively, in an Ugallu-like way. His Lair is probably something like this. I already have some stats for him written up, I'll add the Beast traits later and post them in this thread.

I like to think that, if Slender Man is not a Beast's Soul/Horror, he is a True Fae or a very mysterious Unchained Demon.
        Last edited by GibberingEloquence; 09-10-2015, 05:49 PM.

"Fate is a cruel jester with a finely developed sense of irony." - Sir Night as portrayed by Leliel, The Horror Recognition Guide

Comment

Why I like my flying jellyfish: nothing fancy, just pure, existential dread.

Crunch isn't a hobby; it's a calling.

Comment

When doing presentation about Beast game for mine RPG club, I added more modern takes on Horrors to every Family, beside mythical monsters. So here is mine short list:
            • Anakim - Godzilla - Giant atomic created lizard you cannot run from and can stomp all your life with one blow.
            • Eshmaki - Slenderman and Monster Under a Bad - Things you know that ARE THERE, SOMEWHERE <Ominous Music>.
            • Makara - Cthulhu - You cannot go better with alien tentacle horror from the depths of ocean.
            • Namtaru - Freddy Kruger - The demonic "ghost" of serial killer, so foul, his face is causing disgust in everyone.
            • Ugallu - Internet Horror - Web spidery thing that knows EVERYTHING about you, and can use it all the time your dirtiest secrets.

Conquest of Paradise - Fan Dark Era about Portugal and Spain conquests in XVI century - Mage & Beast ( & Hunter )
            My Hubs - MtAw 2E Legacies and System Hacks & WtF 2E Lodges and System Hacks
            MtAw 2E - History of Awakened - (almost) canonical game timeline of events

Comment

Here we go. Any feedback is appreciated. I went with the powers and abilities he shows more often, since his list has become quite a grab bag over the course of the Mythos. I also tried to make him powerful but not invincible. Whatever Social Merits and Professional Training he might have as a result of his human side is best left to ST fiat, I believe.

Family: Eshmaki
              Hunger: Prey/Punishment

Legend: Watchful/Unexpected
              Life: Parental

Mental Attributes: Intelligence 4, Wits 4, Resolve 4
              Physical Attributes: Strength 6, Dexterity 4, Stamina 3
              Social Attributes: Presence 6, Manipulation 3, Composure 6

Horror Attributes: Power 12, Finesse 10, Resistance 8, Size 7

Mental Skills: Academics 2, Computer 1, Crafts 2, Investigation (Searching) 4, Medicine 2, Occult 4, Politics 1, Science 2
              Physical Skills: Athletics (Chasing) 3, Brawl (Claws & Tentacles) 3, Drive 1, Firearms 1, Larceny 3, Stealth (Plain Sight) 6, Survival (Forests & Woodlands) 4, Weaponry 1
              Social Skills: Animal Ken 2, Empathy (Children) 3, Expression 2, Intimidation (Appearing Out Of Nowhere) 5, Persuasion 3, Streetwise 1, Subterfuge 3

Merits: Area Of Expertise (Searching), Patient, Tolerance For Biology, Direction Sense (Advanced), Ambidextrous, Double Jointed (Advanced), Demolisher 3, Choke Hold, Hardy 3, Iron Stamina 3, Fleet Of Foot 3, Parkour 3, Iron Will, Indomitable, Fame 2 (Advanced 2), Retainer X (Proxies), Fist Of Nightmares, Hunger Management 3, Guilty Pleasure (Children), Broad Palate

Willpower: 10
              Defense: 4 + Athletics/Brawl/Weaponry
              Initiative: 10
              Speed: 16
              Health: 8

Lair: 8

Lair Traits: Fog, Maze, Poor Light, Undergrowth, Disruption, Mirages

Atavisms: Alien Allure, Eye Of Heaven, From The Shadows, Limb From Limb, Looming Presence, Mimir’s Wisdom, Monster Of The Deep, Needs Must, Relentless Hunter, Shadowed Soul, Siren’s Treacherous Song, Unbreakable

Nightmares: All Your Teeth Are Falling Out, Fear Is Contagious, Run Away, You Are Not Alone, You Can’t Wake Up, You Will Never Rest, Tabula Rasa, You Are Lost
              Last edited by GibberingEloquence; 10-03-2015, 11:41 AM.

"Fate is a cruel jester with a finely developed sense of irony." - Sir Night as portrayed by Leliel, The Horror Recognition Guide

Comment

Slenderman is blatantly a Giant. Everybody knows he's supposed to be super tall and lanky.

Second, he fits with the theme of powerlessness, because even if you play his game and pass his trials, you still lose!

You can't fight him (you die if you so much as stare at him), and you can't escape him because he can teleport at will. The only thing you can do is wait for the inevitable. Maybe the authorities will find your corpse impaled on a tree branch later... if you're lucky.

Comment

Originally posted by Nyrufa View Post
                  Slenderman is blatantly a Giant. Everybody knows he's supposed to be super tall and lanky.

Second, he fits with the theme of powerlessness, because even if you play his game and pass his trials, you still lose!

You can't fight him (you die if you so much as stare at him), and you can't escape him because he can teleport at will. The only thing you can do is wait for the inevitable. Maybe the authorities will find your corpse impaled on a tree branch later... if you're lucky.
                  That makes sense, but I don't think he would make much use of the Anakim Birthright. The theme you described can also be phrased as Fear Of Exposure, and Slendy would find the Ugallu Birthright much more useful, methinks.

Also, I decided to rewrite my character sheet for him, with optional Beast-Shapes if you want him to be an Incarnate.

Family: Ugallu
                  Hunger: Prey
                  Myth: The Unfathomable, Ever-Watching Boogeyman

Mental Attributes: Intelligence 4, Wits 6, Resolve 5
                  Physical Attributes: Strength 6, Dexterity 5, Stamina 5
                  Social Attributes: Presence 7, Manipulation 4, Composure 5

Mental Skills: Academics 3, Computer 1, Crafts 2, Investigation (Searching) 4, Medicine 2, Occult 4, Politics 0, Science 2
                  Physical Skills: Athletics (Chasing) 4, Brawl (Claws And Tentacles) 4, Drive 0, Firearms 0, Larceny 3, Stealth (Plain Sight) 6, Survival (Forests And Woodlands) 4, Weaponry 0
                  Social Skills: Animal Ken 2, Empathy (Children) 3, Expression 2, Intimidation (Appearing Out Of Nowhere) 5, Persuasion 4, Streetwise 0, Subterfuge 3

Merits: Area Of Expertise (Searching, Plain Sight), Demolisher 2, Direction Sense (Epic), Double-Jointed (Advanced), Eidetic Memory (Advanced), Fame 3 (Advanced 3: Shaken), Hunger Management 3, Indomitable (Advanced), Iron Will, Patient (Advanced 3), Retainer (Proxies), Striking Looks 2 (Nightmarish)

Willpower: 10
                  Defense: 9
                  Initiative: 10
                  Speed: 64
                  Health: 18
                  Lair: 8

Atavisms: Alien Allure, From The Shadows, Limb From Limb, Looming Presence, In My Image, Inescapable, Monster Of The Deep, Needs Must, Relentless Hunter, Shadowed Soul, Siren’s Treacherous Song, Unbreakable

Nightmares: Fear Is Contagious, Run Away, You Are Not Alone, You Can’t Wake Up, You Will Never Rest, Tabula Rasa, You Are Lost

Horror Traits: Power 12, Finesse 12, Resistance 10, Size 13, Health 18, Defense 10, Initiative 12, Speed 17

Lair Traits: Fog, Maze, Poor Light, Undergrowth, Disruption, Mirages

Beast-Shapes: Legendary Size, Multiple Appendages x 2 (Arms), One With The Shadows, Terrible Mien, Superior Atavism (From The Shadows, Shadowed Soul, Inescapable)
                  Last edited by GibberingEloquence; 12-14-2016, 10:19 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X