No announcement yet.

Nightmares & Dreamscapes: Incursions from the Primordial Dream

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The short answer is no. It does not reach into other worlds. It's something that affects the material and the Primordial Dream and going into those places counts as "leave the area", even if after a month within the Maelstrom there are probably some minor reflections of its effects in the Shadow.

Mages, provided they travel deep enough in the Temenos to reach the Primordial Dream, can fight it but it's not of great use. The best they can do is to delay its growth (let's say, if you slain the fake Horror that day does not count for the total of the twenty-six days and the Maelstrom has to go through that specific combination of Horror and Hunger one more time) but its astral form it's too strong and reforms the following day. It usually is not worth the effort.

Cinder's Comprehensive Collection of Creations - Homebrew Hub
    Currently writing: "Dark Era: The Forest That Weeps". When not busy writing homebrew, I also try to write CoD fiction. (All paused until August)

Waiting feverishly as instructed

Comment

Damn. I am really liking the Maelstroms, and all the possible story hooks one can cause.

"My Homebrew Hub"
      Age of Azar
      The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

Thanks! They're the sort of thing that steals a lot space from other elements in a chronicle and takes a central place, which that makes them not much versatile. Glad to hear you see some potential in them.

I'm probably returning to low-key, easily exploitable creatures for my next entry.
        Last edited by Cinder; 02-14-2016, 03:56 PM.

Currently writing: "Dark Era: The Forest That Weeps". When not busy writing homebrew, I also try to write CoD fiction. (All paused until August)

Comment

I can re-enact one of the best stories from the Sandman comics? Awesome!

A god is just a monster you kneel to. - ArcaneArts, Quoting "Fall of Gods"

Comment

Originally posted by Master Aquatosic View Post
            I can re-enact one of the best stories from the Sandman comics? Awesome!
            That was the plan. Nice to see you got the reference. I was not subtle at all about it, but when you need to find ideas about creatures and things to populate the Dream you might as well steal from the best.

Comment

Originally posted by Cinder View Post
              That was the plan. Nice to see you got the reference. I was not subtle at all about it, but when you need to find ideas about creatures and things to populate the Dream you might as well steal from the best.

Hey, nothing wrong with ripping ideas. Saves me the trouble of trying to figure out mechanics for it.

Will there be any mechanics on how to replicate the way the situation was solved eventually in the comic? Is it even possible?

Comment

Originally posted by Master Aquatosic View Post

Hey, nothing wrong with ripping ideas. Saves me the trouble of trying to figure out mechanics for it.

Will there be any mechanics on how to replicate the way the situation was solved eventually in the comic? Is it even possible?
                I'd personally say that belongs to the realm of Storyteller's hands. In short, for the comics it was Rose's grandmother that took her place, but someone still had to die. Even Dream could not find another solution.

You can plan it out in order to give the players the option, if they really want to and find a person (probably a related one) willing to take the Maelstrom's place, sure.

Or perhaps you can exploit the Beast part of the arc and go for a solution that lies in the depths of the Primordial Dream and/or involves the Dark Mother. This might be more feasible once we learn more about it with the Player's Guide, but still.

Comment

Hmm. Here's an idea. Seeing as the Primordial Dream is the collective personification of fears, is it possible that there are some native entities/goetia who embody the fear of (natural) disasters and calamities? If so, I imagine their Numina could take the form of Lair Traits.

"My Homebrew Hub"
                  Age of Azar
                  The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

I think that's what Ravagers are

EDIT: Insatiables too in a weird way
                    Last edited by Master Aquatosic; 04-24-2017, 12:04 PM.

Comment

I have noticed that my (bare bones) beast tamer rules (in my signature) aren't in this thread. I have been too busy to work on them lately, so maybe some nice homebrewer can adopt them for a while.

My Savannah Setting can be found here

My heroes as monster tamers rules can be found here

Comment

I'd like to add something here.. or atleast place the idea out there for people.... An addition to the Heroes journey in Beast (Esspecially since it doesn't seem to have been touched upon in the Corebook) Heros Regnans or Heros Ascendant.

Regnans

"Heros will always be remembered,
                        But you know legends never Die"
                        Emperors New Clothes, Panic at the Disco.

Heroes are trouble. They are dangerous, they hunt and kill for their own amusement and hungers, yet they cannot look past what they have become. For all they wish to be the center or the story they are just asmuch a pawn in the narrative. They cannot look past their own gain or needs, this is there role and wants. But what happens when a Hero becomes an Apex?

Sometimes a Hero becomes so feared and strong in a hive that they simply cannot be stopped, they begin hunting and slaying the Begotten in there own lairs, making themselves have the largest impact upon the Dream in the local area, they become Monsters of their own making, slaugtering the Children and shaping themselves into a Horror of Horrors. They Change, they lose all pretext of humanity and become something else.

Heros Regnans or Heros Ascendant without the flowery words are Monsterous Heroes that have became what they hunt but are still so wrapped up in their own Tale that they do not understand they are asbad or in many cases Worse then what they hunt. They are the Terrifying Vigilante whose mear mention makes people blanch and hide, they are mob boss who doesn't just kill you for your betrayal, no they make EVERYONE suffer. They kill all your family, friends and associates, leaving you alone, a Pariah amongst society, only then will they finish you.

(Will add more as i write it)

Light and Dark are two Sides of a Coin... Humanity is What Happens when it Lands on it's Edge.

Comment

Leliel said this, so I take no responsibility or credit. I just thought that it was a kinda cool idea and decided to post it over here.

Originally posted by Leliel View Post
                          Though, actually...

I think Palace Keepers are a good antagonist; they're humans who have grown so feared and hated by people around them that they've essentially become the local Apex of their Hive. Not the entire Hive, mind, but they exert enough influence to form an echo of themselves in the Dream, and that forms a free-floating Lair whose purpose is to give its unknowing master whatever they want. This manifests in many ways, but one is invariably as a steadfast refusal of the people around them to censure their behavior for whatever reason; because they're key to the group, they're too strong, they "mean so well"...

Needless to say, Beast enjoy crushing them, both for the free Chambers and you don't become the Apex without any supernatural touch at all by being a nice person.

Is it presumptuous of me to ask for alternating male/female pronouns?

Comment

Originally posted by RickmanUK View Post
                            I'd like to add something here.. or atleast place the idea out there for people.... An addition to the Heroes journey in Beast (Esspecially since it doesn't seem to have been touched upon in the Corebook) Heros Regnans or Heros Ascendant.

Regnans
                            Much as I like the idea, I can't help but feel that you might want to alter the name slightly. Perhaps the Hero Resplendent? The Hero Regnant? Regnans doesn't really make all that much sense. Also, it's 'heroes'. Sorry. That's my Horror talking; the infamous Grammar Nazi.

Is it presumptuous of me to ask for alternating male/female pronouns?

Comment

Other topics:
                              • Dreamtides - less... cataclysmic intrusions (compared to Maelstroms) of the Dream upon the waking World. Similar to when a Beast overlays their Lair upon an area, but larger and not directed by an intelligence.
                                • Smaller manifestations could be confused with hauntings, or faerie circles (from when someone wanders in, but doesn't get out before the effect fades).
                                • Need a mysterious Dark Scary Forest that only appears on some nights? The Dream intrudes. Better escape before the convergence ends, and you are trapped in the Dream.
                              • Mythic Items - The Primordial Dream made manifest in (or through) an object of repute. Dreaded Weapons, Cursed Artifacts, etc. The Legend of the thing gives it power, and warps the narrative/destiny of those around it.
                              • [Atavisms?] - Flora and Fauna touched by the Primordial Dream, and perhaps have undergone a lesser Devouring of their own. Mutated, material counterparts to Night Terrors. Not the manifest Fear-of-Bears, but a real bear touched/invested by Fear.
                                • [Might be redundant with Night Terror!Claimed]
                                • [If not redundant, maybe stick an Atavism or few on a creature/plant, give it a Legend, optional Anathema, call it good? Getting chased by a bear with Relentless Hunter or a rat with Looming Presence is pretty scary. Even a tree with Stormwracked(?) has some potential.]
                              • Formidolosii - People afflicted by a connection to the Primordial Dream. They become vectors for Nightmares, spreading them either deliberately or unwillingly (when suffering their own Breaking Points, or when a Condition triggers from letting the fear build up). Not Heroes, not Beasts, but something else. Maybe they are a "release valve" for pent up fears stuck in the Dream. Might make a decent Minor Template.
                              • Odd Kinships - Strange locations that Beasts can form Kinships to. Maybe the ability to form Kinships with the Mythic Items above for extra perks. Maybe adding a Z-splat (tentative name Colleges, as a nod to the "teaching culture") for Beasts to form Kinship (and Kinship Nightmares) to philosophies and modes of thought.
                              • Catharsi - Lesser beings, similar to Night Terrors (but probably from the Bright Dream) that represent the emotional and stress relief that Fear can provide. Probably few in number, unfortunately.
                              Last edited by Vent0; 04-25-2017, 06:02 PM.

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
                              Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

Originally posted by ajf115 View Post

Much as I like the idea, I can't help but feel that you might want to alter the name slightly. Perhaps the Hero Resplendent? The Hero Regnant? Regnans doesn't really make all that much sense. Also, it's 'heroes'. Sorry. That's my Horror talking; the infamous Grammar Nazi.
                                Well Regnan was a literal translation of Ascendant into Latin (according to google translate, yeah not the greatest source) the name can be changed into something abit better.

Light and Dark are two Sides of a Coin... Humanity is What Happens when it Lands on it's Edge.

Comment

Working...
                                X