Nightmares & Dreamscapes: Incursions from the Primordial Dream

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Vent0 View Post

Like if a Hero just says "F it", and stops fighting nightmares to become one themselves? A kind of Hero-Incarnate?

Weren't we talking about something like that earlier in the thread? Anyway, I like the idea that this is restricted to, at most, thaumaturges and minor psychics. All the other monsters can already become a Hive Apex. Maybe just make that legacy and that entitlement focused around being the Apex?

A god is just a monster you kneel to. - ArcaneArts, Quoting "Fall of Gods"

Comment

In my tamer rules, Dark Lords are tamer heroes that went full Dark Emperor, with the incarnate beast bonded to them as their right hand monster. Sort of a Emperor Palpatine and Vader vibe.

Despite the user name I am actually bigender.

My Savannah Setting for CofD can be found here

My heroes as monster tamers rules for BtP can be found here

Comment

Originally posted by The young man in the cafe View Post
        In my tamer rules, Dark Lords are tamer heroes that went full Dark Emperor, with the incarnate beast bonded to them as their right hand monster. Sort of a Emperor Palpatine and Vader vibe.

So, their demon form in that version is actually the Incarnate Beast bonded to them in this version?

Comment

It is more like how Palpatine may be the leader of the evil empire, but Vader is the one that is truly scary, thus making them a weird sort of co-incarnates.

Comment

Originally posted by Master Aquatosic View Post

So, their demon form in that version is actually the Incarnate Beast bonded to them in this version?
            But for the purposes of the game, basically. It is not actually the Dark Lord's OWN demon form, it is that of their trusted Incarnate Beast cohort

Comment

Darth Vader as Palpatine's horror is kinda an awesome idea

Comment

I finally got back to this, but the idea I had was that a Dark Lord is more similar to a more powerful version of the Hurt Locker microtemplates (you know, Psychic Vampires and the like) that have a few powers that revolve largely around defense and pursuing Aspirations, at the cost of increased inability to ever feel safe or the ability to be liked by those around you.

I'm thinking a similar level of power and spread to the Inferno Possessed.

Comment

Originally posted by Leliel View Post
                  I finally got back to this, but the idea I had was that a Dark Lord is more similar to a more powerful version of the Hurt Locker microtemplates (you know, Psychic Vampires and the like) that have a few powers that revolve largely around defense and pursuing Aspirations, at the cost of increased inability to ever feel safe or the ability to be liked by those around you.

I'm thinking a similar level of power and spread to the Inferno Possessed.
                  I think there should also be some sort of stats for their form while inside their Principality, so they can actually personally defend their Crown. There also needs to be something for their minions/subjects within the Principality.

Just musing, I'm not too knowledgable about mechanics.

==Edit==

Oh! How about Dark Lords having access to Nightmares when in the Real World, and Atavisms when in the Principality? They could use Will Power in place of Satiety.
                  Last edited by Mangaholic13; 09-25-2017, 08:20 PM. Reason: Had a thought.

Comment

So, thought: for some of the fauna of the Primordial Dream to come into the world (to hunt?) based more on environmental conditions, as opposed to mental ones - namely, they hunt in places that resonate with specific Lair Traits. They would also, obviously, want to nest in compatible Chambers. The problem this poses to Beasts hosting these creatures is they they are basically leaving to door to the Lair open when they go hunting.

Related thought: what about flora-based Primordial Dream stuff? Maybe persistent minor fears that grow and spread like weeds, infesting other dreamscapes with unease that is foreign (at first) until it eventually chokes out entire areas? Red-Scare Kudzu? Immigrant-Job-Theft Dandelions?
                    Last edited by Vent0; 11-01-2017, 03:31 PM.

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
                    Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

So, thought: for some of the fauna of the Primordial Dream to come into the world (to hunt?) based more on environmental conditions, as opposed to mental ones - namely, they hunt in places that resonate with specific Lair Traits. They would also, obviously, want to nest in compatible Chambers. The problem this poses to Beasts hosting these creatures is they they are basically leaving to door to the Lair open when they go hunting.
                      Nemean
                      These voracious lion-like creatures often stalk areas beset with hopelessness. They are able to leave the Primordial Dream during night times where large numbers of people fear violence they can do nothing to prevent, such as war zones, crime-ridden slums, and police states.

Related thought: what about flora-based Primordial Dream stuff? Maybe persistent minor fears that grow and spread like weeds, infesting other dreamscapes with unease that is foreign (at first) until it eventually chokes out entire areas? Red-Scare Kudzu? Immigrant-Job-Theft Dandelions?
                      Blind-Panic
                      These white-with-indigo-star-pattern petal flowers have been known to infest certain Chambers in the Primordial Dream where someone lost their vision suddenly while terrified. As they spread, they infect first the dreams (the dreamer suddenly is surrounded by darkness), then the waking mind of those connected to their current/prior host. As their host becomes more afraid, their vision blurs and fades (which often frighten sufferers further, feeding the cycle). Beasts that allow the Nightmare-Flora to grow in their Chambers have a chance of transmitting a Blind-Panic infestation whenever a target Dramatically Fails one of their Nightmares.

[Blind-Panic and other Nightmare-Flora infestations might be represented as Conditions, with Resolutions like confronting and overcoming the fear they represent.]
                      Last edited by Vent0; 01-28-2018, 08:38 AM.

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
                      Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

Back to work, everyone. I don't want to overhype these guys more than I already did: they're just critters who'd love TV Tropes. I'd really appreciate to know your opinion of them and hear any sort of criticism: it's been a while and I want to get back in form (well, my form, at least). With them done, it's time to move forward!
                        The Mythophagi

“I’m at the park. How did I get here?

Does not matter.

What?! No. I was at home and now I’m on this bench. How..

Does not matter. Look at what matters.

Right, what matters. My son, Josh. I see him playing with other children on the slide.

I smile.

Look.

He’s having fun. He’s laughing, excited. I see him climbing on the railing. I see him speaking at his friends with gleeful recklessness as he tries to reach the roof above the slide. That’s not good, it’s too steep. Nobody should go up there, it’s not safe. He’ll fall down and hurt himself.

Icarus.

I want to get up and go to him, but my muscles won’t move. I want to scream at him, tell him to be careful and stop immediately what he’s doing, but my mouth won’t open. I need to keep looking, be sure he’s ok.

No, look at your left, next to the fountain.

I turn my head slightly and I see it. A more interesting story. A better meal. Meal? What I’m thinking? I’m not hungry, I need to stop Josh, I need to…

LOOK

I can see it. Past the fountain, on the other side of the playground nearby the trees, there’s a man who’s not a man. He’s a snake.

A snake in the garden. A tree.

Eden. Apple. Esperides. The Serpent. Lucifer. Temptation. Ladon. Prize. Niddhog, gnawing at the roots. Death. Guardian. Golden Fleece. Jason. Betrayal. Punishment.

Yes, I can see it now. Why he is pretending to be a man? That’s not what he is, that’s not interesting. And why is he leaving? The snake does not leave the tree until the story ends.

I jump up immediately and run. I need to follow him, make sure the story goes as it should. Make sure he plays his role. Someone has to.

There’s a children crying somewhere, calling for his dad with a voice broken by pain. Luckily, the growl of satisfaction coming from within my head covers that noise almost immediately.”

Stories have power. They are not just entertainment: stories shape us and the world around us. A great story roots deep and its seeds can last for centuries. Beast and Heroes know this better than anyone, as that’s a truth that runs through their veins as much as their blood. But caught as they are in the merciless grasp of the monomyth, it’s easy for them to forget they are not the only beings whose life is forged by stories. The Begotten and their human nemesis might be the protagonists of their cosmic play, but there are others having a role in it.

Some, like the Mythophagi, were not invited.

The Mythophagi are creatures of the Astral, spawned by the dross of the Primordial Dream. Their existence comes into being where the distinction between the Temenos and the Primordial Dream itself becomes confused. The friction between the wider subconscious of mankind and the realm of nightmares and horrors that’s the birthplace of Beasts results in a merger between symbols, instincts, narratives and hunger. Sometimes, the outcome of this merger is a Mythophagus.

Spirits, if highly-specialized one, the Mythophagi don’t dive deep into the Primordial Dream. They stalk the surface, lacking a true understanding, because their own nature keeps them focused on what gave meaning to their ephemera in the first place: myths and legends. The Mythophagi feeds on stories and archetypes and all their existence is focused on the reiteration of those patterns. They have an innate knowledge of stories and crave for them to happen over and over again, following the paths and tropes the human subconscious demands them to have.

Most of the Mythophagi never leave the depths of the Astral, but some manage to do so by pure luck. A pathway opens and they slither in. A visitor is not careful enough to notice something hitched a ride back to the world of flesh. The Mythophagi are good at this: not being noticed, let the others think nobody is watching their stories unfold

A Mythophagus roaming in our world is like a children in a toy store. So many stories, so many actors and dramas. But Mythophagi are not satisfied to watch. For them, events should go in a certain way. Stories, the good ones, the important ones we call myths, survive because the surface might change but the core remains there. At least that’s how the Mythophagi, in their twisted spiritual perspective see it. There’s a way things should happen to satisfy a Mythophagus. Like all spirits, Mythophagi feed on what resonates with their nature, and this resonance is found within the legends of old.

Mythophagi look at our world through eyes made to recognize the faintest trace of mythological resonance. When there’s not enough or the stubborn inhabitant of our world try to diverge from it, the Mythophagi take the matter into their own hands and cheat, lie and manipulate in order for the story to satisfy their taste. If they decide someone must play a certain role, they’ll do all in their power for it to happen. The patriarch of the Olympus must fear and devour his sons (literally or not) only to fall and let the new generation rule. The vengeful son must lose an eye in the quest to defeat its uncle. Narcissus must drown, Amaterasu must hide from the world, Inanna must threaten the world if spurned. Adam must kill Victor’s wife, the Wyld Hunt must find its prey, Orpheus must be torn into pieces after his trip to the Underworld.

The more complex and similar to an actual legend they manage for a situation to turn out, the more Mythophagi are satisfied. Perhaps due to the circumstances of their birth or the strength of the monomyth, the Mythophagi find Beasts and Heroes to be the best and most satisfying targets to manipulate. Their efforts to force the life of Begotten into unwanted and extraneous mythical patterns, just because their Horrors resembles a certain mythological monsters or they happen to have a certain name is a nuisance that can prove unexpectedly dangerous. Legends often don’t end well for Beasts, after all.

The Mythophagi are terrorized by the mere idea of having to return to the Primordial Dream or being forced into the Shadow after having had a taste of the material world. Ironically, worlds where symbols, stories and reflections are a fundamental part of the universe still can’t compare to the real deal for the Mythophagi. The stories they contribute to put in motion need to have real actors, otherwise they lose importance and, with that, flavor. Their desperate effort to harvest enough power translates in a spasmodic research for sources of nourishment. Most Mythophagi do so by altering their surroundings just enough to have enough resonance to gain a foothold into the flesh of a living being, at which point they fetter themselves to it. They use animals, if lacking better options, but Mythophagi prefer to exploit humans, if only because they make for better tools and spectator’s seats. They manipulate their hosts, use them to look for seeds of interesting stories, Beast, Heroes and other potential protagonists. Then, they use the possessed ones both as accomplices and vehicles, allowing them to walk around and exert occult supernatural influence over the circumstances. Most target never notice the Mythophagi, busy dealing with the circumstances. When everything’s done, a Mythophagus exits the scene, leaving others to deal with blood and consequences.

As mentioned before, the Mythophagi lack a true understanding of the meaning of legends and stories. They’re spirits who focus on superficial trappings and conventions, caring more about the form than substance. They offer no lessons, no wisdom and know nothing about fear. They’re creatures obsessed by myths in their most sterile and empty shape. Even their appearance reflects aspects of legends in a merely cosmetic way. By all accounts the Mythophagi are just shards of a single element of the Primordial Dream. It’s not as if they concentrate on the finger while ignoring the Moon: for them, the Moon does not even exist. Depending on their strength, their ability to discern mythological patterns improves (a Rank 1 can draw basic analogies, a Rank 4 is able to make connections between Ymir, Pangu, a slasher that hacks its victims into pieces and the local Uratha), but ultimately the Mythophagi are nothing more than parasites that feel so entitled to consider everyone else to be a puppet.

Traits:

The Mythophagi follow the rules for spirits. Here's a general guideline for their traits and their powers:

Rank: Mythophagi vary in power, usually ranging from Rank 1 to 4.
                        Influences: all Mythophagi have dots in Influence equal to their Ranks as usual, but the only Influence they can have is Stories. They can alter their Influences temporarily though, as explained in the Story Weaver trait below.
                        Ban & Bane: as usual, Ban and Bane are related to the nature of the spirit. For the Mythopagi, it frequently is related to the myths and themes they most often tap into.
                        Manifestation Effects: All the Mythophagi have the Twilight Form, Fetter and Unfetter Manifestations. They can develop more depending on their Rank but can’t have Claim.
                        Numina:Mythophagi often have Numina that help them to hide, alter chances and minds. Numina like Aggressive Meme, Dement, Emotional Aura, Hallucination, Implant Mission, Innocuous and Omen Trance are good examples. More flashy Numina just are not part of the Mythophagi’s nature.
                        Spot the Thread: Mythophagi are creatures that live and feed on stories and have developed a knack for finding suitable actors and circumstances, whether those involved like it or not. A Mythopahagus can spend 1 Essence and roll Power + Finesse in order to detect any element in its surroundings with a degree of symbolical resonance with a legend or myth of any sort. Beast and Heroes are always spotted on sight and the roll is automatically successfull, but different kinds of supernatural subtracts their Composure from the roll of the Mythophagus. Demons aren’t immune but can “spoof”identification as usual, though that would not necessarily mean that a Mythophagus would not find a role for their Cover no matter what. Mythophagi often grow a predilection for certain kind of stories and themes, opting to pursue them instead of others when given the choice.
                        Story Weaver: after a successfull Spot the Thread roll, a Mythophagus might alter its own nature in order to influence the story from behind the scenes. This requires 3 Essence and a successfull Power + Resistance roll, but for each success the Mythophagus can shift one of its Influence dots into something relevant to the story it is tapping into. A Mythophagus who’s drawing on Hercules killing his own children might gain Influence in Rage and Strength, another who’s trying to make its own version of the fight between Susanoo and the Yamata-No-Orochi can gain Shame and Alcohol, just to give some examples. Mythophagi can discard these “fake” Influences at will, but usually do so only when they’re satisfied with how the story ended and fed enough in order to not waste Essence.
                        Subtle Audience:Mythophagi are stealthy creatures. They have an almost unparalled skill at going unnoticed and pull the strings from the shadows. Add the Mythophagus’s Rank as a malus to all the rolls made to detect it or its influence. Once a Mythophagus is identified, though, it forever loses this protection against those who spotted it and a single success on perception roll against it are treated as exceptional success: the spirit is now a part of the story it tried to manipulate and thus unable to run off the stage.
                        Last edited by Cinder; 03-03-2018, 09:33 AM.

Cinder's Comprehensive Collection of Creations - Homebrew Hub

I write about Beast: The Primordial a lot

This is what I'm working on

Comment

Yay! This thread updated again! Even if I don't always like Beasts themselves, I find the raw Primordial Dream far more fascinating than the distant Astral. And a good part of that is due to the creatures this thread have populated it with.

Comment

I assume that all those Primordial Dream denizens - Mythophagi included - are technically Goetia, not Shadow Realm spirits? Other way, great job here!

My stuff for Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E & BtP
                            LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post
                              I assume that all those Primordial Dream denizens - Mythophagi included - are technically Goetia, not Shadow Realm spirits? Other way, great job here!
                              Yeah, avoided the term since it's Mage lexicon and not everyone in the Beast forum knows the details about that, but as denizens of the Primordial Dream they'd fall under the Goetia classification in Mage terms.

Cinder's Comprehensive Collection of Creations - Homebrew Hub

I write about Beast: The Primordial a lot

This is what I'm working on

Comment

Originally posted by Cinder View Post
                                Yeah, avoided the term since it's Mage lexicon and not everyone in the Beast forum knows the details about that, but as denizens of the Primordial Dream they'd fall under the Goetia classification in Mage terms.
                                Could mark it in opening post - even just as statement in the brackets.

My stuff for Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E & BtP
                                LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Working...
                                X