Nightmares & Dreamscapes: Incursions from the Primordial Dream

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post

Could mark it in opening post - even just as statement in the brackets.
    Better not, the thread is not just the spirits I made so far. There's other phenomena and stuff written by others. Anyone, myself included, might come up with a creature or event of the Shadow (or the Abyss, or the Hedge, or whatever) that's related to Primordial Dream and add it.

Don't think there's a need to make that statement since the thread is meant to be open and can encompass lots of things

Cinder's Comprehensive Collection of Creations - Homebrew Hub

I write about Beast: The Primordial a lot

This is what I'm working on

Comment

So, for the Formidolosii, I was thinking of basing them around a stack of Conditions. So something proceeding from [Content] to [Hysterical], with [Content] being when there is no more stress, and when they would "drop" from [Hysterical], they trigger an automatic release via Nightmares. They would then other progress "down" the chain, and any "Satiety gaining effects" would simply move them up the Condition chain toward [Content].

Otherwise, they are humans with Nightmares (mechanically).

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
      Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

Originally posted by Cinder View Post
        Better not, the thread is not just the spirits I made so far. There's other phenomena and stuff written by others. Anyone, myself included, might come up with a creature or event of the Shadow (or the Abyss, or the Hedge, or whatever) that's related to Primordial Dream and add it.

Don't think there's a need to make that statement since the thread is meant to be open and can encompass lots of things
        Indeed - there may be room conceptually for those who died in their sleep to leave Ghosts and Ghost-like remnants in the Primordial Dream.
        Last edited by Vent0; 03-03-2018, 01:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vent0 View Post
          So, for the Formidolosii, I was thinking of basing them around a stack of Conditions. So something proceeding from [Content] to [Hysterical], with [Content] being when there is no more stress, and when they would "drop" from [Hysterical], they trigger an automatic release via Nightmares. They would then other progress "down" the chain, and any "Satiety gaining effects" would simply move them up the Condition chain toward [Content].

Otherwise, they are humans with Nightmares (mechanically).
          I'm a sucker for that kind of mechanics, so I count me as interested.

Comment

Originally posted by Cinder View Post
            I'm a sucker for that kind of mechanics, so I count me as interested.
            Any ideas for a good progression, though? The "top" one is basically Slumbering (except the Formidolosii is mortal anyways, and so isn't missing much). The rest are supposed to represent mounting pressure, stress, and fear (until eventually they "pop" and unleash Nightmares everywhere). They can manage the "pressure" by willingly inflicting Nightmares (and Breaking Points) upon others to migrate "up" the Condition chain.

Minor mental penalties, with social penalties (by being scared/paranoid themselves, or "leaking" fear to those around them?) at deeper progression?

Comment

Minor mental penalties, with social penalties (by being scared/paranoid themselves, or "leaking" fear to those around them?) at deeper progression?
              Yeah, maybe with some physical too at the very lowest. Conditions that go from "stressed" to "about to have a public meltdown" and end with extreme paranoia and phobias. While "high" the character seems nervous. "Low" and he looks like one escaped from a horror asylum. That sort of stuff.
              Last edited by Cinder; 03-03-2018, 05:59 PM.

Comment

Indeed - there may be room conceptually for those who died in their sleep to leave Ghosts and Ghost-like remnants in the Primordial Dream.
                Night-Gaunts
                Every dreamer's Bastion touches upon the Temenos, the collective subconscious of all humanity -- and that includes the Primordial Dream. Sometimes, when a person dies in their sleep, a ghost is left behind in the Realm Material. Other times, however, these ghosts manifest instead in the realm of dreams. The Primordial Dream is not a hospitable place for the ghost of a mortal to find itself, and most such unlucky entities become starved of Essence and are sucked down into the Underworld rather quickly. Those who survive do so by transforming themselves into something more fit for the Primordial Dream's environment: they become Night-Gaunts.

Night-Gaunts are essentially ghosts that have formed an Anchor to a Hive Chamber, rather than a person or place in the Realm Material. Such an abstract Anchor is uniquely resilient, but comes at a serious cost. Night-Gaunts lose their Virtue, Vice and the remnant of Integrity most ghosts have. Instead, they have a Scream and an Echo, representing (respectively) the form of fear than most clearly resonates with them, and whatever shred of human identity they still retain. (The Scream functions as Vice would for normal ghosts or Virtue for mortals). The appearance of a Night-Gaunt fluctuates between their mortal appearance and a form that iconically represents their Scream, with most appearing as a horrific amalgam of the two.

The Influences of a Night-Gaunt resemble the Traits of the Chamber to which they are Anchored. Most Night-Gaunts, like most ghosts, are only Rank 1 or 2, though it is hypothetically possible for them to gain Rank the longer they remain active in the Hive. Like ghosts, Night-Gaunts regain Essence when they are remembered, but a sleeper remembering the terrible nightmares a Night-Gaunt caused counts just as must as a family member remembering the Night-Gaunt's mortal self. In terms of Numina and Manifestations, Night-Gaunts resemble spirits more than ghosts: They reside in the Hive, and must have the Reaching condition to affect the analogous location in the material world. They can freely enter and leave dreams, however, where all their Numina work without Reaching.

Night-Gaunts cannot cross from the Dream into Twilight on their own; for this reason they may be drawn to Begotten or other beings that can open Primordial Pathways. For the Begotten, a Night-Gaunt may be a pest in their Lair, drawing the attention of Heroes and exposing the location of Chambers they'd prefer to keep concealed. On the other hand, a Night-Gaunt can be a useful watchdog on a Lair's entryway, especially when their Influences and a Begotten's Lair Traits coincide. When encountered in unincorporated Chambers, Night-Gaunts may be able to share information about how those Chambers formed with a Begotten, although some are territorial and won't let their Anchor Chamber be incorporated into a Lair without a fight.

Night-Gaunts can be driven from their Chambers through blunt force or siege tactics -- destroying their Corpus or starving them of Essence, or using Banes or Abjuration to drive them away. However, it is also remotely possible to convert a Night-Gaunt back into a normal ghost, using any Anchors it may retain in the material world or presenting it with potential new ones. Such a process is complex and risky, but some Begotten with close ties to Sin-Eaters claim to have managed it.

Comment

Yay, I always suspected I need dream ghosts! Now my Chambers can be completed. Great idea Mad_Maudlin!

LGBT+ in CoD games
                  Dark Eras fan stuff hub ( with Eras inside ):
                  Byzantine Empire in Middle Ages ( 330–1453 A.D.)
                  Conquest of Paradise – Portugal and Spain in 15th century and their conquests
                  My stuff for VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E & BtP

Comment

A couple example Night-Gaunts, to round out my post:

The Burning Girl
                    It hurts...it hurts!

A few years ago, early Christmas Morning, a fire swept through this apartment block and killed nearly a dozen people. The official explanation was a tragic accident -- old electrical wiring, too many holiday decorations left plugged in unattended. But many in the neighborhood distrust such a pat story. What about the strangers who had been milling around in the days beforehand? What about the unearthly noises from the inferno? Since when did electrical fires move so quickly and consume so utterly?

The Burning Girl might know the answers, if she were capable of saying so. This Night-Gaunt has haunted the neighborhood's dreams since the night of the fire, though no one knows exactly who she once was. She typically appears as a twisted, elongated figure wreathed in flame, eye pleading in the blackened flesh of her face. She reaches out a blistered hand for the dreamer's help, but attempting to touch her triggers her Firestarter Numen and causes an instant 3L damage to the target's Dream Form. She will cling to the dreamer for as long as she is able, dealing 3L per round until the dreamer awakens or succeeds in escaping her grapple.

Power: 3
                    Finesse: 2
                    Resistance: 2
                    Scream: Helpless
                    Echo: Innocent
                    Ban: The Burning Girl cannot harm anyone under the age of 15
                    Bane: Cold water.
                    Influences: Anchor (1) - Burning, Thin Air
                    Manifestations: Twilight Form, Reaching
                    Numina: Firestarter, Emotional Aura (Fear)

Dizzy Miss Lizzy
                    You picking up what I'm laying down?

If you catch her in the right mood, Miss Lizzy will regale you with stories of her life, some of which might actually be true. Her style of dress, and the slang and pop culture references she uses, confirm that she died in the mid-60s. Sometimes she lets a few truths slip: she's a transgender woman, and at one time she was a sex worker as well. She also really, really hates the police. Astute detectives can put those pieces together for themselves.

Lizzy will trade information gathered from ghosts and other Night-Gaunts, usually in exchange for passage between the Realm Material and the Primordial Dream. When not gossiping, she tends to haunt the back alleys, where she fancies herself as a protector of "her kids" -- the homeless, the sex workers, and other folks dwelling on society's margins. She prefers to haunt the dreams of police or those who call them in, appearing by turns as a beautiful woman and a clawed, fanged monstrosity that lashes out at them. Not to hurt them, she insists -- just to make they they feel the same fear she once did. Then again, Miss Lizzy has a temper, and if she's a little careless from time to time...

Power: 3
                    Finesse: 4
                    Resistance: 3
                    Scream: Enraged
                    Echo: Clever
                    Ban: Lizzy discorporates at the sound of police sirens.
                    Bane: A knife that has been previous used as a murder weapon.
                    Influences: Anchor (2) - Downpour, Poor Light
                    Manifestations: Twilight Form, Reaching, Image, Materialized
                    Numina: Awe, Dement, Emotional Aura (Fear), Limb from Limb -- Miss Lizzy can spend 1 Essence to use this Atavism (normal Saitiety effect) as a Numina, or 3 Essence for the Satiety-Expenditure effect.

Comment

Ghosts having a broad “Anchor” as their Influence is mostly likely not a thing, given how 2E examples of ghosts have things like Lost Things as their Influence... Maybe reword it so they have Influence over Chambers (Primordial Dream) instead? Or maybe even the Lair Traits you assigned to them?

MtAw Homebrew: Even more Legacies, updated to 2E

Comment

There are examples of ghosts? Where?

Bloodline: The Stygians
                        Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
                        Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

Originally posted by Tessie View Post
                          There are examples of ghosts? Where?
                          The Vanishing Hitchhiker in CofD core, aka the ghost of Lucas Kight. A Rank 2 ghost with Influence over Lost Things, most likely referring to him losing his father. (He was hit by a car while out looking for his father, who suddenly disappeared)

Comment

Of course. Why didn't I think to look under the separate Horrors bookmark for ghosts?

Bloodline: The Stygians
                            Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
                            Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

Originally posted by Tessie View Post
                              Of course. Why didn't I think to look under the separate Horrors bookmark for ghosts?
                              Yeah, it's weird that his entry is there, instead of below Ephemeral Entities.

Although, on second thought.... We do know that the Underworld is being heavily reworked for Geist 2E. So maybe ghosts will get reworked as well. And ghosts will be the supporting playable splat for Geist, right? If so, then universally having "My Anchor(s)" as Influence is going to make things much easier than Influences over unfinished business, causes of death and lingering sentiments. (I mean, Lost Things? What can I do with it?)

Returning back to the topic: One of these days, I'm going to write up Persona Users as Beast sub-splats if no one else does it first. One of these days...

Comment

21C Hermit -- yeah, my intention was that their Influences match the Lair Traits of their Chamber; I like the idea of Night-Gaunts potentially getting a two-for-one deal on Influence dots that way. I just wasn't sure how to word that.

Comment

Working...
                                X