Homebrew Beast Merits

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ajf115 View Post
    That sounds like a cool idea to me, although I'm not sure what dot-rating ti should be. Maybe dot-rating is related to the number of Keys you need to open the Heart?

And now I'm thinking of Kingdom Hearts.
    "What's this? A boy, a duck, and a... dog(?) have invaded my Lair? Should be easy pickings."
    [Short while later]
    "Hey, Tony just dropped dead!"

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
    Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

• Originally posted by Vent0 View Post
      The idea is that even if Intruders enter at a Chamber adjacent to the Heart, they can't just rush in.
      The situation you are describing is the normal state of affairs for uninvited guests.

Resident Sanguinary Analyst
      Currently Consuming: Changeling: the Lost 1e

Comment

• Originally posted by Satchel View Post
        The situation you are describing is the normal state of affairs for uninvited guests.
        Originally posted by Beast: The Primordial
        Intruders, on the other hand, must cope with any Tilts in effect and have to force their way through Burrows by spending a point of Willpower and succeeding on an Intelligence + Resolve roll contested by the Horror’s Power + Resistance (see below). Forcing one’s way through a Burrow takes half the Beast’s Lair (round up) in turns, during which time the intruder is still subject to any Tilts in the Chamber he is trying to leave. Heroes, of course, have ways to mitigate these difficulties (see Chapter Five)
        I'm aware of those rules - they do not reflect what I am talking about. An intruder who manages to cross over at the Chamber that has a Burrow leading to the Heart Chamber only has to win that one Contested, Extended action to breach the Beast's defenses and try to take out the Heart. What I am talking about is they cannot make the attempt to reach the Heart Chamber unless they acquire [X] Key(s).
        Last edited by Vent0; 07-31-2018, 11:14 AM. Reason: Re-read and realized the action isn't actually Extended, it mere takes longer than a single turn.

Comment

I'm aware of those rules - they do not reflect what I am talking about. An intruder who manages to cross over at the Chamber that has a Burrow leading to the Heart Chamber only has to win that one Contested, Extended action to breach the Beast's defenses and try to take out the Heart. What I am talking about is they cannot make the attempt to reach the Heart Chamber unless they acquire [X] Key(s).
          And why exactly should a character actually bother with this when Willpower is a limited resource, sustained exposure to Lair Traits is often deadly, and all it takes for a Beast to double the amount of time it takes to get to the Heart is to redefine their Burrows back-to-front?

Like, I get that this is a fun Dungeon Boss Monster idea, but what actual step of this process is not accomplished by the very simple and mundane process of having the Sealed Exits Trait and/or actual mundane locked thresholds within your Chambers that you've made supernaturally durable and put the keys to in a different place?

Comment

• Lifestealer (ooo)
            Prerequisite: Lair 3

When attacking via Brawl, the character can take a -3 to his dicepool to heal themselves by 1 Bashing upon succesfully attacking.
            In addition, the player may chose to forego 10-again to upgrade the damage healed to 1 Lethal.

I want some more help with that one - I am sure you can tell where I'm going with this. As an alternative to the homebrew Draining Kiss, Lifedrinker and Parasite Atavisms

Comment

• Originally posted by Wormwood View Post
              Lifestealer (ooo)
              Prerequisite: Lair 3

When attacking via Brawl, the character can take a -3 to his dicepool to heal themselves by 1 Bashing upon succesfully attacking.
              In addition, the player may chose to forego 10-again to upgrade the damage healed to 1 Lethal.

I want some more help with that one - I am sure you can tell where I'm going with this. As an alternative to the homebrew Draining Kiss, Lifedrinker and Parasite Atavisms
              How about making it a kinship merit with vampires?

Comment

How about making it a kinship merit with vampires?
                Sure, that would work well!

Comment

• Random Thought: Lair Trait based Merits? Could those be a thing?

E.g.

Warming Up ooo
                  Prerequisite: Extreme Heat Lair Trait

Effect: Unlike other people and even Beasts, the Begotten is not merely able to stand heat, but outright thrives in it. When the Lair Trait applies, the Begotten becomes more nimble with time: what would have been a penalty instead acts as a bonus dicepool.
                  Drawback: Cannot have Extreme Cold or Cold Performance

Cold Performance ooo
                  Prerequisite: Extreme Cold Lair Trait

Effect: Unlike other people and even Beasts, the Begotten is not merely able to stand the cold, but runs at peak performance when it's freezing. When the Lair Trait applies, add the 8-again quality to rolls involving Intelligence.
                  Drawback: Cannot have Extreme Hear or Warming Up

Comment

• What would a merit that granted a Lair Trait to a single Chamber, couldn't be imposed on the outside world, and only grant you immunity in that specific Chamber cost? I'm thinking one or two because of how situational it is. I was thinking something like this could be nice as an option to further customize your Lair.

Comment

• Originally posted by Xenorath View Post
                      What would a merit that granted a Lair Trait to a single Chamber, couldn't be imposed on the outside world, and only grant you immunity in that specific Chamber cost? I'm thinking one or two because of how situational it is. I was thinking something like this could be nice as an option to further customize your Lair.
                      I was actually thinking that might be better as a kind of item you place in the chamber. Beast doesn't really have a magic-item/collectibles niche. That might be a useful thing for it - a kind of Lair Feng Shui/Interior Decorating.

Comment

• Blood of the Beast ooo
                        Bathing in the dragon's blood hardens the Heroes skin, blesses their blade, or can be used for occult purposes - this Begotten thought to himself: "Why not just use it myself`?"
                        By taking 2 Lethal Damage and opening a wound to bleed from, they can harden an edge or make soft leather as durable as steel. Increase a weapon's rating by +3L, or add +2/1 to a piece of armor.
                        They can also make use of their blood in Obcasus Rites and add +2 to the rolls, and their Mother's Kiss is more powerful as well: they add +3 to the roll.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wormwood View Post
                          Blood of the Beast ooo
                          Bathing in the dragon's blood hardens the Heroes skin, blesses their blade, or can be used for occult purposes - this Begotten thought to himself: "Why not just use it myself`?"
                          By taking 2 Lethal Damage and opening a wound to bleed from, they can harden an edge or make soft leather as durable as steel. Increase a weapon's rating by +3L, or add +2/1 to a piece of armor.
                          They can also make use of their blood in Obcasus Rites and add +2 to the rolls, and their Mother's Kiss is more powerful as well: they add +3 to the roll.
                          Why 2L? Usually this kind of sacrifice only needs 1L.

Comment

• Originally posted by ajf115 View Post

Why 2L? Usually this kind of sacrifice only needs 1L.
                            Because Beast's have easy access to healing via Satiety Expenditure in their Lair, plus I think the Bonuses are quiet strong and most of all diverse enough to justify a slightly heavier-than-usual sacrifice

Comment

• Hey one of my players is about to get a family bond with a Goblin Queen, any ideas for kinship merits with hobgoblins?

Comment

• Originally posted by Caedus View Post
                                Hey one of my players is about to get a family bond with a Goblin Queen, any ideas for kinship merits with hobgoblins?
                                Lots and lots of debt. Anything else is liable to need personalizing.

Comment

Working...
                                X