No announcement yet.

Homebrew Beast Merits

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Something that bugs me with Beast is I feel like family ties isn't used up to its potential. For me, instead of new nightmares, it should allow access to new atavisms (an "evolution" of your Beast to match its family, like the Beast itself is learning from its cousin) or merits.

For instance, allowing a Beast with a family tie to a mummy to buy a cult merit, one with a family tie with a Daeva to buy an epic version of striking look, one with a mage to buy an advanced unseen sense, ...

Or "advanced" versions of an atavism being available for buying when you have a family tie.

Maybe I'll get around to writing something up.

Comment

A little something I whipped up based on Beast fluff and rooted in the new Lucid Dreamer Merit from the Changeling: The Lost playtest documents.

Deep Dreamer (oo)
      Prerequisite: Lucid Dreamer
      Effect: Perhaps more of a curse than a blessing, your character is one of the rare few in the sea of humanity who still dreams their way past the Temenos and into the Primordial Dream itself. However, without an additional Merit, such as Astral Adept, they cannot travel elsewhere, though they are free to wander the local Hive at their own peril. The character is able to use Dream Riding to navigate and study the Primordial Dream, as well as on any Beasts they might come across… if they can avoid being eaten by one of the Horrors first.
      Drawback: Unless you succeed at a Resolve + Composure roll before resting, you will send your dream self into the Primordial Dream. This doesn’t sound that bad in and of itself, but being repeatedly killed and eaten is liable to quickly sap Willpower through Soul-Shock and is likely to lead to Breaking Points.

Broad Dreamer (oo)
      Prerequisite: Deep Dreamer
      Effect: Your connection to the Primordial Dream has expanded to truly exceptional levels. You are so in tune with the natural ebb and flow of the place that you can feel any disturbances like ripples in a pool of still water. If you are sleeping and a Beast gains Satiety within (Lair) miles from where you are, you gain a rough idea of which direction the Beast is in, how powerful it is, and how big of a meal it was.

My Homebrew Hub

Comment

I just realized something. The fourth maneuver of Dragon Slayer isn't really needed. All a Hero needs to do to place an Anathema is make a successful attack and spend 1 willpower point. Receiving 8 Again would not help with that. Perhaps the fourth maneuver could let you place Anathemas regardless of the target's current Satiety?

"Fate is a cruel jester with a finely developed sense of irony." - Sir Night as portrayed by Leliel, The Horror Recognition Guide

Comment

Originally posted by GibberingEloquence View Post
          I just realized something. The fourth maneuver of Dragon Slayer isn't really needed. All a Hero needs to do to place an Anathema is make a successful attack and spend 1 willpower point. Receiving 8 Again would not help with that. Perhaps the fourth maneuver could let you place Anathemas regardless of the target's current Satiety?
          Sounds better. Maybe it can expand the threshold at which Anathema can be placed (of the ability to always place Anathema is too powerful).

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
          Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

Originally posted by Arcanist View Post
            I would suggest that you maybe post this in the "Hero: The Quest" thread. I've been meaning to go back and finish that up, amongst other things. Lots of plates spinning right now. Should probably set up a homebrew thread for myself.

I have realized that Heroic Resolve is essentially the Supernatural Resistance Merit but specifically for Heroes. Do you have any other Gift ideas?
            Do you have a link to that thread?

One idea I just had: Beasts can often leverage Kinship with other creatures outside Heroes' wheelhouse. What about a Gift that lets a Heroes turn the Beast's "minions" against it? Inverts the Kinship bonds, infects the "kin" with the Hero's own hate for the Beast, etc.

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
            Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

Originally posted by Vent0 View Post
              Do you have a link to that thread?

One idea I just had: Beasts can often leverage Kinship with other creatures outside Heroes' wheelhouse. What about a Gift that lets a Heroes turn the Beast's "minions" against it? Inverts the Kinship bonds, infects the "kin" with the Hero's own hate for the Beast, etc.
              It should be on my hub.

"My Homebrew Hub"
              Age of Azar
              The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

Marrow Feeder (o-ooooo)
                You gnaw on your victim's shock, consuming every scrap of fear and anguish. When attempting to feed, reduce your effective current Satiety Level by your dots in this Merit for the purposes of determining whether you roll the Satiety potential as a dice pool.

Drawback: Gnawing the very bones takes energy and raises your Horror's expectations. When making a roll to feed, automatically convert a Failure to a Dramatic Failure.

Comment

Originally posted by mp122984 View Post
                  Marrow Feeder (o-ooooo)
                  You gnaw on your victim's shock, consuming every scrap of fear and anguish. When attempting to feed, reduce your effective current Satiety Level by your dots in this Merit for the purposes of determining whether you roll the Satiety potential as a dice pool.

Drawback: Gnawing the very bones takes energy and raises your Horror's expectations. When making a roll to feed, automatically convert a Failure to a Dramatic Failure.
                  I'm pretty sure this is already covered by Hunger Management.

"Fate is a cruel jester with a finely developed sense of irony." - Sir Night as portrayed by Leliel, The Horror Recognition Guide

Comment

There's a subtle difference here. Hunger Management lets you reduce the dice pool to make it less likely you'll overeat, giving you some fine control over Satiety level. If I'm reading the Merit correctly, this one lowers effective Satiety so that you can feed off of simpler, more general expression of your Hunger instead of getting more dramatic and specific.

My Homebrew Hub

Comment

Originally posted by Arcanist View Post
                      There's a subtle difference here. Hunger Management lets you reduce the dice pool to make it less likely you'll overeat, giving you some fine control over Satiety level. If I'm reading the Merit correctly, this one lowers effective Satiety so that you can feed off of simpler, more general expression of your Hunger instead of getting more dramatic and specific.
                      You are reading it correctly.

Comment

I like the idea of "advanced Atavisms" or specific Merits by way of Family Ties.
                        So, could someone turn this into a thing?

Loup-Garou (ooo)
                        Prerequisites: Beast, Relentless Hunter, Family Ties: Werewolves
                        The Beast's Kinship with the Hunters left a mark on it - it's Horror is invigorated by their vitality, and heals more quickly.
                        Effect: The Normal Effect of Relentless Hunter is doubled - it heals 2 Bashing per turn, 1 Lethal every 15 minutes and 1 Aggravated every other day.
                        The Low Satiety Effect is increased to damage equal to 3 times its Lair dots at the end of any scene in which he was hurt get downgraded. Satiety Expenditure remains unchanged.

Drawback: The Horror is used to being around a Pack - being deprived of such interaction for more than 5 days, it grows lethargic, and instead of doubling the effect of Relentless Hunter, it is diminished to 1 Bashing every 2 Turns, 1 Lethal every hour and 1 Aggravated every week. The Low Satiety Effect is reduced to an amount of damage equal to Lair dots getting reduced.

Also: How about making the Occultation merit available to Mage-tied Beasts as Advanced Anonymity (Prerequisites: Beast, Anonymity 3, Family Ties:Mages)?
                        The merit goes 2 and 4 points, offering the advantages of Anonymity 4 and 5 with Occultation 1 and 2, respectively.

Epic Striking Looks (o)
                        Prerequisites: Beast, Advanced Striking Looks, Family Ties fitting to the Effect, e.g. Daeva for Attraction)
                        The Beast's Kinship with the his remarkable cousins left a mark on it - it's Horror is drawn into the Beast, giving it a once-in-a-lifetime appearance, whether she is unbelievably attractive (not necessarily beautiful, though), mind-numbingly frightening or utterly repulsive.
                        Effect: The Beast gains another +1 to relevant skills. Furthermore, she can declare one social skill where this merit wouldn't usually apply once per scene and proceed as if it did. This is in addition to the Advanced Effects.
                        Example: Samantha is frightening, but knows little about animals - Intimidation 3, Animal Ken 1. She wants to break into a house and needs the guard dogs to be quiet. She is running low on time and has few options. Without knowing what else to do, she glares them into shutting up: She rolls 4 dice - 3 from the Merit, 1 from Animal Ken. She gets a success, and her Epic Glare quiets the dogs into whimpering as she makes her way past them.

Unstriking Looks (o-ooo)
                        Prerequisites: Beast, Family Ties: Mekhet
                        Hard to track, hard to remember - but easy to move around and to listen in to other people: The Beast's Kinship with the Shadows left a mark on it - the Beast has a hard-to-remember look, and gets easily ignored unless it actively draws attention to itself.
                        Effect: As long as the Beast draws no attention to itself, people tend to ignore it (this can only partly mitigate the attention due to other factors, e.g. Giant or Looming Height, although it amplifies Small Stature). In any case, its features are so supernaturally diffuse, it is hard to remember and easy to confuse: Any attempts to recall memories of or to investigate the Beast are at - (dots in this merit). This stacks on similar Merits like Spoor or Occultation, enhancing them.
                        Drawback: Building a legend is harder when no one sees you doing it, especially when someone else jumps at the chance to claim your exploits as his own.

Lokiel is this going in the right direction?

Aaand something else entirely:
                        Heart of the Storm(oooo)
                        Prerequisites: Beast, Storm-Lashed, Taking you with Me
                        The Beast is not only protected by its own hide, even the forces of nature strike down in its favor as two Atavisms intertwine and bear a new Power.
                        Effect: Whenever the Beast is hurt, thunder roars, wind gusts or lightning strikes at their foes.Upon being dealt 1 Lethal or more, the Beast inflicts one of the following tilts: Deafened due to Thunger, Blinded e.g. by a gust of Wind, or Stunned due to Lightning. The Player has to choose which Tilt and how it is inflicted when acquiring the Merit. The Target may roll his defense to resist the effect.
                        At low satiety, the Beast may choose to deal the 1 Lethal of Taking you with Me to everyone within (5*Lair) Yards rather than to one person as Lightning spreads or debris is dispersed into the air at high speeds.
                        Upon spending Satiety, the Beast deals 1 Aggravated to targets within (5*Lair) Yards.

I'd like some help with Heart of the Storm... just doesn't feel right atm, though I think you can guess where I wanted to take that.

Last edited by Wormwood; 01-06-2017, 04:07 PM.

Comment

Like this?

-=-

Fatal Flaw (••••) -- After having acquired much experience in slaying the Begotten, the Hero's knack for 'finding' their weaknesses is honed into a fine edge. You may spend a Willpower point to roll Wits + Occult in a Clash of Wills against a Beast with Low or High Satiety. On a success, he may force an Anathema upon him.

"My Homebrew Hub"
                          Age of Azar
                          The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

Originally posted by Deionscribe View Post

Like this?

-=-

Fatal Flaw (••••) -- After having acquired much experience in slaying the Begotten, the Hero's knack for 'finding' their weaknesses is honed into a fine edge. You may spend a Willpower point to roll Wits + Occult in a Clash of Wills against a Beast with Low or High Satiety. On a success, he may force an Anathema upon him.
                            Yeah, that looks good. Some questions, though. Is this Willpower expenditure in addition to the standard one, and what does the Beast roll? Resolve + Lair?

Also, what kind of rolls does the second maneuver affect? I can see it affecting Chases, but the Greyhound Merit already has a similar effect. Would it affect Social rolls? Some Skills make sense, like using Intimidation to make a Beast reveal where their Kin are hiding, or Expression to give a rousing speech that rallies a crowd against a Beast. But Empathy is less fitting. This maneuver could be more specific in its wording. Perhaps it could give access to Risking Willpower instead?

Lastly, regarding the fifth maneuver. What if the Hero would receive the Rote Quality from another source, such the fifth dot of Professional Training? I think gaining the Steadfast Condition would be a good option.

EDIT: The third maneuver feels underwhelming. I think it should give Chosen Blades equal to your dots in the Style, and also improve each Chosen Blade. I think 9 Again is a good choice, especially if you let it stack with the 9 Again of Professional Training to become 8 Again.
                            Last edited by GibberingEloquence; 01-20-2017, 12:54 AM.

Comment

Yeah, that looks good. Some questions, though. Is this Willpower expenditure in addition to the standard one, and what does the Beast roll? Resolve + Lair?
                              Beasts roll Lair + Highest Resistance Attribute, as outlined in their corebook. And if there already is a Willpower cost for placing an Anathema, then the Clash of Wills could be done for free.

Also, what kind of rolls does the second maneuver affect? I can see it affecting Chases, but the Greyhound Merit already has a similar effect. Would it affect Social rolls? Some Skills make sense, like using Intimidation to make a Beast reveal where their Kin are hiding, or Expression to give a rousing speech that rallies a crowd against a Beast. But Empathy is less fitting. This maneuver could be more specific in its wording. Perhaps it could give access to Risking Willpower instead?
                              Maybe, but I want to wait for Hunter 2E to come out before I entertain that possibility. But the Empathy bonus would be more fitting for those Heroes that are not driven to hunt Beasts due to low Integrity. If you have a revision to the writeup, though, feel free to share.

Lastly, regarding the fifth maneuver. What if the Hero would receive the Rote Quality from another source, such the fifth dot of Professional Training? I think gaining the Steadfast Condition would be a good option.
                              Yeah. Steadfast sounds like a good alternative benefit if the roll already has the rote quality.

"My Homebrew Hub"
                              Age of Azar
                              The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

Originally posted by Deionscribe View Post
                                Beasts roll Lair + Highest Resistance Attribute, as outlined in their corebook. And if there already is a Willpower cost for placing an Anathema, then the Clash of Wills could be done for free.

Maybe, but I want to wait for Hunter 2E to come out before I entertain that possibility. But the Empathy bonus would be more fitting for those Heroes that are not driven to hunt Beasts due to low Integrity. If you have a revision to the writeup, though, feel free to share.

Yeah. Steadfast sounds like a good alternative benefit if the roll already has the rote quality.
                                Thank you for the answers. Perhaps the second maneuver could let you add your Heroic Resolve to a number of rolls per scene equal to dots in the Style, stacking with Willpower expenditure?

Also, I made an edit to my previous post regarding the third maneuver.

Comment

Working...
                                X