X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Warpwind View Post
    Astral Armory (ooooo)

Prerequisites: Beast, .Mage Kinship

There are dreams of fears and monsters, yes. However, there are other dreams, of tools and symbols, gods and archetypes. Kinship with the Astrally inclined mage gives Beast understanding how to interact and manipulate such things.
    Effect:
    The beast can purchase/quest for the unique dreams of tools and weapons and temporarily drag them to it's layer. Spending a satiety point the beast can manifest such a thing in material world like an Atavism (mortals can't see it).

Astral Familiar (ooo)

Prerequisites: Beast, Mage kinship

Mages of ten use strange and unusual creatures as a familiars. A benevolent sorcerer may grant his friend one of these (Mind 3). Due to Beast's nature, only astral beings can be used this way.
    Effect: Beast gains one rank 2 Astral being as a familiar.

Burrows (o+)

Prerequisites: Beast.

Beast can lay ways to the specific Astral realms, like Mars, Polis, etc.
    Effect: Choose one destination, for each merit dot, in Astral realms you can reach instantly from the Layer. .

Court of Nightmares (o-ooooo)

Prerequisites: Beast, Spirit Kinship.

Mostly the layers are empty save for the horror itself and any pests generated by the layer. However, some Beasts tend to enjoy company and fill their homes with various beings. Sometimes, the various beings may wonder into the layer on accident and be stuck/settle there. (an example from beast core book would be the vampire friend living in the layer. it didn't go well, don't invite vampires).
    Effect: Layer is populated by a number of beings equal to the Combined Rank=2 xMerit dots (e.i level 3 merit can support 2 3rd rank or 6 1st rank beings). The beings generally live in the layer and only leave it when accompanied by the Horror. Otherwise the beings can be anything that could exist in Astral, be it abducted humans, Goetia, ghosts, etc.) Companions has to be either quested for In-Game or payed for 1exp each rank.

Astral Numina (ooo)

Prerequisites: Beast. At least one dot in Allies/Retainers [Astral Beings]

Human mind opens interesting new ways to the Horror.
    Effect: Hi.
    Buy one numina from the ones used by your friend.

March of Hundred Demons (ooo)

Prerequisites: Beast. Allies/Retainers (or something such) 5

Gathering a great host, the Beast leads a parade of horrors and monsters through the Dreams of mortals and realms of Astral. The march is a grand affair, driving Heroes (and some mortals) completely nuts and spreading nightmares.
    Effect: Each participant completely fills energy reserve and looses all but 1 willpower.

QUESTION!: are Astral beings still unable to materialize?
    I like these, But I can't help but feel that each of them have some serious problems, not counting the descriptions:

Astral Armoury

So, does this give the Beast the ability to manifest any kind of object by spending Satiety? Including Astral artefacts? That's hellishly powerful. It might be better to have each instance of the Merit bound to a particular object (e.g. a giant sword).

Astral Familiar

I have no particular problems with this, except for the lack of flavour text.

Burrows

This might want a different name, for avoiding confusion, and I can't help but think that it might possibly be better represented by picking a location to which you gain a significant bonus to opening Primordial Pathways, rather than simply having it be a Burrow like between Chambers of the Lair.

Court of Nightmares

This is very nice, although I can't help but think that you might want to lower the level allowances nd exclude humans from the list (that could easily be simulated with the Staff of Retainer Merits).

Astral Numina

I like the idea, but I think it might be better to have the prerequisite be 'Astral Kinship' and to clear up the description a little. Add a bit more explanation.

March of a Hundred Demons

Again, I love the idea. Love it. What I don't get is exactly what the Merit does. So, I'm presuming that the Merit requires some kind of ritual procession or something, led by the Beast, which lets all those who participate in it fill their entire supernatural 'fuel' reserve, while losing all but 1 Willpower? Why do they lose Willpower? This would seriously break the energy economy for supernaturals. You're a vampire and a friend of a Beast with this Merit? You don't need to go feed on people! Neither do Beasts need to install terror, Changelings leech off emotions, werewolves devour spirits and sup at Loci. No offence, but this needs work.

Is it presumptuous of me to ask for alternating male/female pronouns?

Comment

Originally posted by ajf115 View Post

I like these, But I can't help but feel that each of them have some serious problems, not counting the descriptions:

Astral Armoury

So, does this give the Beast the ability to manifest any kind of object by spending Satiety? Including Astral artefacts? That's hellishly powerful. It might be better to have each instance of the Merit bound to a particular object (e.g. a giant sword).

Astral Familiar

I have no particular problems with this, except for the lack of flavour text.

Burrows

This might want a different name, for avoiding confusion, and I can't help but think that it might possibly be better represented by picking a location to which you gain a significant bonus to opening Primordial Pathways, rather than simply having it be a Burrow like between Chambers of the Lair.

Court of Nightmares

This is very nice, although I can't help but think that you might want to lower the level allowances nd exclude humans from the list (that could easily be simulated with the Staff of Retainer Merits).

Astral Numina

I like the idea, but I think it might be better to have the prerequisite be 'Astral Kinship' and to clear up the description a little. Add a bit more explanation.

March of a Hundred Demons

Again, I love the idea. Love it. What I don't get is exactly what the Merit does. So, I'm presuming that the Merit requires some kind of ritual procession or something, led by the Beast, which lets all those who participate in it fill their entire supernatural 'fuel' reserve, while losing all but 1 Willpower? Why do they lose Willpower? This would seriously break the energy economy for supernaturals. You're a vampire and a friend of a Beast with this Merit? You don't need to go feed on people! Neither do Beasts need to install terror, Changelings leech off emotions, werewolves devour spirits and sup at Loci. No offence, but this needs work.
      Sure thing, you can remodel these as you like.

Astral Armory - Ah, I thought beat has to pay for the merit and then additionally pay the required exp for any astral artiact he wants to keep there. you may limit the number of items to Layer/2

Burrows - isn't what you suggest already covered with 'under your bed'? I thought exactly of burrows to the specific locations in the Astral. Like maybe a gate to the Polis, or dreaming Earth? suggestion for a name?

Court of Nightmares - I didn't want to make it overpowered. maybe Merit Rank x 3? no humans is fine.

March of a Hundred Demons - it is essentially a conversion of Astral energy. Mages, changelings and werewolves already use something quite close and ghosts exist in astral just fine, so good for sin-eaters. Vampires yes, they don fir, neither prometheans. The lost willpower points go into the 'common energy pool'. The procession kicks up nightmare storms, attracting and creating heroes by dozens and poking mortal hunters. Not to mention, being drained of willpower leaves participants feel like shit for week to come. So it's more of a ritual or emergency measure. Plus all the ttension from other powerful astral beings.

Comment

Originally posted by Deionscribe View Post
        Do let me know if this seems too much.

Vast Lair (o to ooooo)
        Prerequisites: Beast
        Effect: While it may not house a potent Horror, your Lair is still a large realm within the Dark Dream. For each dot you possess in this Merit, you add an extra Chamber slot to your Lair. Furthermore, you may take up additional Lair Traits equal to half your dots in Vast Lair, rounded up.
        This is pretty good, but I think it needs a drawback. Perhaps Heroes who are trying to collapse your Chambers get a bonus to their dice pool equal to your dots in this Merit?

"Fate is a cruel jester with a finely developed sense of irony." - Sir Night as portrayed by Leliel, The Horror Recognition Guide

Comment

Originally posted by GibberingEloquence View Post
          This is pretty good, but I think it needs a drawback. Perhaps Heroes who are trying to collapse your Chambers get a bonus to their dice pool equal to your dots in this Merit?
          Maybe. How would you justify that in fluff, though? The Horror being unable to maintain the integrity of its very large Lair?

"My Homebrew Hub"
          Age of Azar
          The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

Maybe. How would you justify that in fluff, though? The Horror being unable to maintain the integrity of its very large Lair?
            That is precisely what I was thinking. Without a drawback, this becomes one of those "why not every character buys it" situations.

"Fate is a cruel jester with a finely developed sense of irony." - Sir Night as portrayed by Leliel, The Horror Recognition Guide

Comment

That is precisely what I was thinking. Without a drawback, this becomes one of those "why not every character buys it" situations.
              Fair enough. How is this, then?

-=-

Vast Lair (o to ooooo)
              Effect: While it may not house a potent Horror, your Lair is still a large realm within the Dark Dream. For each dot you possess in this Merit, you add an extra Chamber slot to your Lair. Furthermore, you may take up additional Lair Traits equal to half your dots in Vast Lair, rounded up.

Drawback: For all its size, your Lair is a house of cards. Heroes have more potential means of invading it through a Primordial Pathway, and they may also tear it down with greater ease. Whenever they roll to collapse a Chamber, they gain a dice bonus equal to half your dots in this Merit, rounded up.

"My Homebrew Hub"
              Age of Azar
              The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

Do let me know if this seems too much.

Vast Lair (o to ooooo)
                Part of the conceptual issue I'm seeing is that having a lot of territory in the Primordial Dream is normally a signifier of your Horror being potent — you'd be better served grounding the rationale accordingly. Mechanically, it's also a bit much due to just how much Lair Traits actually do and what having more Chambers gives you.

A suggested shift, loosely written:

Wandering Soul (• - •••••)
                Effect: Your Horror's territorial nature is less focused than the average Beast's, and your Lair's power is similarly diffused through the Dream. You may add half your dots in this Merit (rounded up) to the number of Chambers your Lair rating can support, and gain half your dots in this Merit (rounded down) in additional Lair Traits. Add your dots in this Merit to your Lair rating for the purposes of determining how far your Horror ranges when Starving.
                Drawback: Your Lair is less secure than a more concentrated Beast's might be. Subtract half your dots in this Merit (rounded up) from rolls to invoke your Lair Traits or open a Primordial Pathway based on similarity to one of your Chambers. Subtract half your dots in this Merit (rounded down) from your Lair rating (to a minimum of 1) for the purposes of determining how many Lair Traits you can call upon per scene. Intruders add your dots in this Merit to their attempts to open Primordial Pathways into your Lair, force their way through your Burrows, or collapse a Chamber.

Resident Sanguinary Analyst
                Currently Consuming: Changeling: the Lost 1e

Comment

Originally posted by Satchel View Post
                  Part of the conceptual issue I'm seeing is that having a lot of territory in the Primordial Dream is normally a signifier of your Horror being potent — you'd be better served grounding the rationale accordingly. Mechanically, it's also a bit much due to just how much Lair Traits actually do and what having more Chambers gives you.

A suggested shift, loosely written:

Wandering Soul (• - •••••)
                  Effect: Your Horror's territorial nature is less focused than the average Beast's, and your Lair's power is similarly diffused through the Dream. You may add half your dots in this Merit (rounded up) to the number of Chambers your Lair rating can support, and gain half your dots in this Merit (rounded down) in additional Lair Traits. Add your dots in this Merit to your Lair rating for the purposes of determining how far your Horror ranges when Starving.
                  Drawback: Your Lair is less secure than a more concentrated Beast's might be. Subtract half your dots in this Merit (rounded up) from rolls to invoke your Lair Traits or open a Primordial Pathway based on similarity to one of your Chambers. Subtract half your dots in this Merit (rounded down) from your Lair rating (to a minimum of 1) for the purposes of determining how many Lair Traits you can call upon per scene. Intruders add your dots in this Merit to their attempts to open Primordial Pathways into your Lair, force their way through your Burrows, or collapse a Chamber.
                  I'm not sure if I like the first drawback. The dice pool for invoking Lair Traits and opening Primordial Pathways suffers enough penalties already. I would also prefer it if the Merit gave a third Lair Trait at 5 dots.

Comment

I'm not sure if I like the first drawback. The dice pool for invoking Lair Traits and opening Primordial Pathways suffers enough penalties already. I would also prefer it if the Merit gave a third Lair Trait at 5 dots.
                    Every extra Lair Trait gives you another Environmental Immunity, another circumstance in which you can use your Atavisms' Satiety Expenditure effects without spending Satiety, another potential bonus die on Pathway rolls, and another circumstance in which you can invoke your Lair Traits without a roll.

Meanwhile, extra Chamber slots give you room for another type of environment to invoke Traits or open Pathways in, another potential buffer between your Heart and an entrance to the Lair, and at least one more story's worth of time before you run out of space.

Lair Traits are extremely valuable; you don't get your seventh until Lair 10 for a reason. If you just want access to more Traits, that deserves a separate Merit rather than being folded into a territory-expander — this is the kind of thing broods are formed for.

Resident Sanguinary Analyst
                    Currently Consuming: Changeling: the Lost 1e

Comment

How about a Merit that lets you "adopt" mortals into your Brood, for creating cults and such? These adopted mortals could develop powers similar to those of the Brood, at the cost of being afflicted with Hunger-like compulsions.

Comment

How about a Merit that lets you "adopt" mortals into your Brood, for creating cults and such? These adopted mortals could develop powers similar to those of the Brood, at the cost of being afflicted with Hunger-like compulsions.
                        Sounds interesting. Would you model the powers as Supernatural Merits? Or make the merit a Style-type, with climbing benefits as the level rises? Perhaps the supernatural powers could be modelled as 'Specialties', of a sort, or a dice pool that allows the mortal to mimic an Atavism or something, but those dice are one-use until the mortal 'feeds' again? So the mortal's feeding gets them a pool of 'satiety dice' which they can put towards any given use of a power? Is it just the Beast that buys the Merit, or does the Beast buy the Merit to allow them to bestow the powers while the mortals have to buy something which connects them to the Beast (Mystery Cult Initiation, Mentor (Beast) etc) to benefit from it?

On a more fluffy level, how would you justify the powers? Is the mortal's soul just being 'stained' by the Horror, or is it being partially replaced by it? Is the Merit really the ability of the Horror to 'seed' itself into mortals, creating lesser pseudo-Horrors as 'children'? That would have interesting implications for what the Horrors themselves are, and where they came from.

EDIT: ​A while back, Deionscribe made this for my Primordial Sorcery home-brew for Beast. perhaps it can be of help?

Totema (O to OOO, Style)
                        Prerequisites: Beast, Primordial Sorcery
                        Effect: A fair number of Begotten sorcerers also carve out Legends as Totemic Beasts. For them, the choice to become tied to a given community provided them with a medium through which they could channel their craft more effectively. In order to benefit from Totema, the Sorcerer must be a Totemic Beast.

Dark Patron (O) -- A Totemic Beast versed in the art of Primordial Sorcery finds that his craft becomes less time-consuming when he performs it in service to his community. Each dot in Totema allows him to halve the target number of successes he must roll towards, so long as the spell is done on behalf of a community member.

Shadow Mentor (OO) -- In synchronizing his knowledge of the Dark Dream's blessings with his link to his wards, the sorcerer can draw strength from their prayers and offerings, effevtively bringing them into the invocation. So long as he is the primary actor, the Beast may let members of his community contribute to the spell as part of a teamwork action.
                        Drawback: Unless they are Dark Sorcerers, members of the congregation roll only their Resolve for the dice pool. Furthermore, a single lapse of faith from one of the uninitiated can disrupt the spellwork and cause it to go awry. If an uninitiated member of the congregation rolls a failure, he subtracts a number of successes equal to [10 - Composure] before falling unconscious. Furthermore, they suffer the usual drawbacks of participating in an act of Primordial Sorcery.

Nightmare Priesthood (OOO) -- The Beast's connection to those of his community is deep enough that he may briefly open their eyes to the Dark Dream's secrets if he wishes. By spending a dot of Satiety and touching one of his wards, he may confer upon him phantom dots in Primordial Sorcery equal to half his Lair (rounded up). These dots can be allocated among the different branches that the Beast possesses knowledge of, cannot exceed the Beast's rating in a given branch, and last for a number of days equal to the Beast's Resolve + Lair.
                        Last edited by ajf115; 03-24-2017, 02:21 PM.

Comment

Talking of which, I might as well repost this here, being as it is essentially a set of Merits. I'll take it down if people think I'm being too pushy with it, or if the post is too big.

Credit to Deionscribe for the Dark Sage, Harrowed Mystic, Nightmare Sanction and Totema Merits, as wel as for the mechanics for the Sorcerer Incarnate.

Primordial Sorcerer (O-OOOOO+)

Prerequisites:Beast or Hero or Unseen Sense (Primordial Dream) or Unseen Sense (Astral), Occult 2+, Resolve and Composure 2

Effect: You know the power of myth, of legend, of dreams. You know that heroes, monsters and magic are real and you are a part of these great narratives yourself. Perhaps you touched upon the Dream while in the throes of a vision-quest. Perhaps your soul was devoured by a mythic monster which took up residence in the place left behind. Perhaps you have always dreamt deep and while trying to find the source of your insights you discovered a way to bring the powers of that strange place into the world. Regardless, you know things now which your fellows can only dream of. Primordial Sorcerers do not suffer breaking points for witnessing the supernatural. Their experiences with the Dream inure them to such existential trauma.

Drawback: For all the potential power that can be drawn from it, the Primordial dream is still a realm of nightmare and it follows that touching upon it is not without consequences. Every time a sorcerer uses or participates in a spell, he suffers horrifying nightmares for a number of nights equal to (10 - Composure). During this time, he cannot regain Willpower from resting. Furthermore, a sorcerer who casts a second spell while still suffering from the aforementioned nightmares becomes as a beacon in the Dark Dream, making him highly attractive to Horrors hunting in the dreamscape. It also serves to attract Heroes, although they will find no Beast when they arrive and cannot use Heroic Tracking to locate Primordial Sorcerers (so long as the sorcerer isn't a Beast...).

Beasts only suffer the last disadvantage, although they must spend Satiety in order to uses sorcery.

Using Sorcery

The power of the primordial Dream is not something easily or swiftly called. Doing so takes time, ritual and will. Any working of Primordial Sorcery takes a number of hours per roll equal to (the sorcery's Rating + bonuses or penalties from the chart below) if a Beast), plus, in the case of Enchanting, whatever time it might take to craft or alter the object in question. The shortest time possible for the roll intervals is 30 minutes.
                          Conditions Effects
                          In an area with a high population density (such as a major city) +5 hours
                          In an area with a median population density (a small city or large town) + 3 hours
                          In an area with a low population density (a small town or large village) + 1 hour
                          In an area with no or very few people (such as in the wilderness or in a small hamlet -1 hour
                          The sorcery is being performed in an Astral Realm or in a physical location that a Beast has made a Chamber -2 hours
                          The sorcery is being performed within a Chamber or Lair -3 hours
                          The area in which the sorcery is to be performed has been painstakingly prepared for this specific spell. -1 hour
                          The area being used has not been prepared in any way. +2 hours
                          In order to cast a sorcery, the sorcerer rolls (Resolve + Rating in that branch of sorcery (+Lair if a Beast)) as an Extended action with roll intervals as described above, working towards a total number of successes of (spell rating cubed). Sorcerers can work together on a spell, simply adding their respective successes to a collective poll. However, all participating sorcerers must be meaningfully participating in the actions of the sorcery. A cabal seeking to create a magic sword must all help with the forging of it and they can only roll to help when they are participating.

When a sorcerer begins to cast a spell, he must spend Willpower equal to the rating of the spell. Every sorcerer participating must spend this. If 5 sorcerers were participating in the casting of level 3 spell, they would each need to pay 3 Willpower. Beasts must instead spend Satiety but need only spend 1, no matter the level of the spell in question.

Spells can have a maximum duration of a number of weeks equal to the sorcerer's Resolve (+ Lair). If multiple sorcerers are participating, use the lowest Resolve. A spell may be made permanent by spending a dot of Willpower in addition to the points used to invoke the spell.

A spell intended to act in accordance with the fears of the local populace or the 'narrative' of the sorcerer's life is easier to coax from the Dream than one running counter to these aims. Note that the effect is created by the intentions of the spell, not what it actually ends up doing.
                          Conditions Effect
                          The sorcery is working to reinforce or further a peripheral fear in the local populace. For example, the sorcery is working towards destruction in a neighbourhood which is near to the location of a recent act of arson. + 1 die to rolls to invoke the sorcery
                          The sorcery is working to reinforce or further a more central fear of the local area. For example, the sorcery is intended to aid organised crime in a neighbourhood which is in fear of the local Family. + 3 dice to rolls to invoke the sorcery.
                          The sorcery is working to stop or counteract a peripheral fear in the local populace. For example, the sorcery is working towards preventing destruction in a neighbourhood which is near to the location of a recent act of arson. - 1 die to rolls to invoke the sorcery
                          The sorcery is working to stop or eradicate a more central fear of the local area. For example, the sorcery is intended to aid organised crime in a neighbourhood which is in fear of the local Family. - 3 die to rolls to invoke the sorcery
                          The sorcery fits into the narrative of the sorcerer’s life, for example laying a curse upon the Hero pursuing her or blessing those who give her thanks for her protection. + 2 dice to rolls to invoke the sorcery
                          The sorcery acts in accordance with the sorcerer’s Vice or Legend. + 2 dice to rolls to invoke the sorcery
                          The sorcery acts in accordance with the sorcerer’s Virtue or Life. -2 dice to rolls to invoke the sorcery

Dots in the Primordial Sorcerer Merit can be invested in a number of different ways:

Enchanting

Enchanting is all about pulling down concepts from the Dream and forcing them into a physical vessel. It is from ancient Enchanters that mythical weapons like the Harpe that slew Medusa come from, as well as the tales of dragons whose hoards were filled with mystical treasure like the Fafnir of the Norse sagas. When enchanting an object, the sorcerer must actually craft it, or at the very least alter it, such as, for example, carving runes into a sword and filling them with gold.
                          Enchanting Rating Effects
                          1 The sorcerer can make an object either better or worse at its task, adding or subtracting a number of dice to its pools equal to his Enchanting Rating.
                          2 The sorcerer can make the object in question able to perform a feat which, while still conceptually connected to the object's purpose, is beyond what a mundane counterpart could do. For example, a sorcerer could make a sword which can cleave through armour (and only armour), ignoring Armour up to the sorcerer's Enchanting rating at the time of enchantment. A sorcerer could make a flask that can hold an infinite amount of water while still weighing the same, but could not make a flask that produces infinite water (flasks hold water, they don't make it)
                          3 The sorcerer can make an item capable of supernatural feats which are still conceptually a part of the object's function. An eyeglass could be enchanted to see into Twilight or a sword crafted that could cut at the ephemeral or inflict wounds which heal supernaturally slowly.
                          4 The sorcerer may make an item capable of overt supernatural feats which remain within its conceptual purview. This 'concept' need no longer be a mundane concept. For example, a door may be enchanted to lead into the Shadow or the Underworld.
                          5 The sorcerer may imbue an item with a supernatural power which either he himself or another being present at the working of the spell possesses. A connection to the original wielder of the power is necessary and the 'donor' need not be willing, so a cabal could use the blood of a werewolf to copy one of its abilities. Where these abilities require fuel (Satiety, Essence, Mana etc), Willpower is spent to activate them. The power in question need not be an active one. In fact, it could be an inherent ability in the donor, such as a werewolf's healing or a mage's Mage Sight.

Fateweaving

Fateweaving is the art of the manipulation of an individual's fate, in the same vein as the curse that Porphyrion laid upon Odysseus - that he would return to his home only as a broken man, bereft of ship and crew and as a beggar. Fateweaving is a subtle and powerful art and requires a certain flair for the dramatic, as fates only tend to take when they are appropriately fitting for the recipient. Fatecrafting also has some restrictions for reasons both sensible and unknown. A sorcerer can only craft the fate of another, not himself. Also, fatecrafting requires that the sorcerer either be able to see his target (without using technological methods other than simple magnifying glasses (although magical scrying works fine)) or have some kind of connection to them, such as blood, hair, skin, nail clippings or a close relative.

Quite simply, Fatecrafting allows a sorcerer to declare a fate for the target and give the Storyteller a pool of dice equal to (level of the spell + 2) to add to or subtract from any rolls to advance that fate. Level 4 spells can add or remove the 9-again rule while level 5 spells can add or remove the 8-again rule.Beyond mechanics, events conspire to bring the target to the fate ordained for them, although this will take a while. A sorcerer cannot declare that his spouse will win the lottery and expect it to happen. The magic makes it more likely but not certain. Of course, at higher levels, this kind of magic has a great deal of power to it and makes things very likely to go the way the sorcerer wants.

Summoning

Summoning is the time-honoured art of calling up servants and familiars from other worlds, as enshrined in countless stories of witches and warlocks. Sorcerers refer to the summoned creatures as 'Phantasms', referring to the fact that the creatures are not real in the truest of senses and vanish upon the ending of the spell which summoned them up.

The arts of summoning also include those of binding the creatures that are summoned to the summoner's will (or at least to their orders). Phantasms are treated as Ephemeral beings of a Rank equal to the rating of the sorcery used to summon them. The ritual space used in the summoning carries the Open Condition for the purposes of Manifesting, as do the summoners and the areas immediately surrounding them. Despite their Rank, Phantasms tend to be generally weaker than other Ephemerals and dissipate into nothingness upon the ending of the summoning spell. They can gather Essence by being donated it by their summoners, who can spend a point of Willpower to give the being Essence on a 1-for-1 basis or by making a roll of Power + Finesse whenever they make significant progress towards whatever mission they were summoned for and gather Essence equal to Successes. Summoned beings need not spend Essence to continue to exist in the physical world, as Spirits do, as they are sustained by the spell that summoned them.

Phantasms must be bound to a specific purpose upon their summoning and this purpose cannot be changed once they have been summoned. They often possess Influences to do with their mission. They usually have a number of dots of Influences equal to their Rank.

Summoned beings are defined by the following chart:
                          Rank* Trait Limits** Attribute Dots Maximum Essence Numina
                          3 dots 3–5 10 1-2
                          •• 5 dots 6–9 15 2-3
                          ••• 7 dots 10–15 20 3-4
                          •••• 10 dots 16–25 25 4-5
                          ••••• 13 dots 26–35 50 5-6
                          * Rank acts as Supernatural Tolerance for summoned beings.
                          ** This refers to permanent traits, not temporarily boosted ones.

Blessings and Curses

Blessings and curses are two sides of the same coin, the distinction between the two a matter of perspective. The spells made possible through this branch of sorcery are the kind of spells that are not only a part of legends and stories but start them. They are the sort of spells that curse a village's fields to lie fallow or grow strong and bountiful. They are not as specific as Fateweaving but allow the sorcerer to affect large areas or even organisations. Blessings can bring prosperity to their targets while curses bring calamity and disaster. Blessings and curses must be performed in the location they are intended to effect or, if they are designed to effect an organisation or other ephemeral concept, they must be performed in a place associated with that organisation. Furthermore, they require a physical symbol of the spell to be left in the location and if the symbol is destroyed, the spell is undone.
                          Blessings and Curses Rating Effects
                          1 The sorcerer can affect a relatively small area or enterprise, such as a single shop or the inhabitants of a house. The spell itself can only create mundane effects which can only add or subtract 1 die to the rolls of the affected people. For example, a disgruntled employee could curse his boss' office. The curse could cause the chairs to squeak, the door to slam, the whiteboard to stain, the computer to lag and make any conversation in the office incredibly awkward but it wouldn't make the boss break his hand or something similar.
                          2 The sorcerer can bless or curse an area roughly the size of an average family home or one floor of an office building. The spell can add or subtract 2 dice from any roll made in the area. Furthermore, a blessing or curse may now be made more focused. A sorcerer could curse a house against ghosts, making any action taken by ghosts within the house harder. Similarly, he could bless the house against burglars, making them less likely to pick it. Focusing the spell in such a manner allows it to add or remove the 9-again rule to any rolls within its purview.
                          3 The sorcerer can affect an area roughly the size of an average office building. The spell can add or subtract 3 dice from any rolls made within the area. The spell may now be focused on an action or activity, in which case the spell may add or remove the 8-again or 9-again rule from any pools dealing with that particular activity. An office could be specifically blessed to make it easier to make deals within its walls or a hospital made so that any rolls related to healing are easier. Furthermore, a curse may now start to inflict actual damage, if only 1 Bashing per day (per person). Doors close on people's hands, they take trips down short flights of stairs or similar misfortunes.
                          4 The sorcerer may now affect an area the size of a large warehouse and may add or subtract 4 dice from any rolls within. Curses may inflict 1 Lethal Damage per 3 days (per person) while blessings may now actively heal people, halving the time needed to heal injuries. Spells may now be focused against a particular kind of being, barring them from either entering or leaving without making an extended Resolve + Supernatural Advantage roll against a target of 10, rolling ever 10 minutes.
                          5 The sorcerer may now affect an entire industrial complex and may add or subtract 5 dice to any rolls within the area. Alternatively, the sorcerer may curse or bless a particular thing or activity so that any action to do with the purview of the spell either automatically rolls a chance die or
                          reduces the threshold for Exceptional Success to 3 successes.

Divination

Divination is possibly the most straightforward of the branches of Primordial Sorcery in its conceptual purpose, although no easier to wield. Simply put, divination allows the sorcerer to discover things in the present, the past and even to some extent the future. Even more than the other branches of Primordial Sorcery, divination requires that the sorcerer not be interrupted at all during the working of the magic. In addition, the sorcerer must have some kind of connection to the thing to be investigated. This could be a piece of a person to be found, information about an object or even the object itself. In the case of seeing the future or past of a thing, the diviner must have the object or person present at the working of the magic or, if the magic is intended to investigate a location, they must be at the location.
                          Divination Rating Effects
                          1 The sorcerer can divine the location of an object or person within a number of kilometres of the ritual site equal to twice his Resolve. Alternatively, the sorcerer may attempt to divine locations of supernatural power within the same area. This includes Hallows, Haunts, Avernian Gates, Loci, the sites of powerful rituals, Verges, the physical versions of Chambers and so on but it cannot detect the workings of the God-Machine and those creatures of it. This will only detect that a site of power exists, not what kind of power it is.
                          2 The diviner may now attempt to discover the location of a person or object within a number of kilometres of the ritual site equal to twice his (Resolve + Composure). The sorcerer may now work a ritual over an object in order to uncover whether it has supernatural power and, if so, the purpose and kind of power. Finally, the sorcerer may attempt to view the past of an object or person. This will only show the most significant events, such as murder performed nearby or with the object, whether a person has encountered the supernatural and forgotten it, major events in a person's life and so on and will only reveal a number of such events equal to the sorcerer's Resolve, beginning at the most recent and working backwards. The sorcerer may attempt to discover any mystical effects upon a person or location, such as blessings, curses, fateweavings and so on. If the sorcerer is in a mystical location, he may attempt to divine the origin of the place's power.
                          3 The diviner may now attempt to discover the location of a person or object within a number of kilometres of the ritual site equal to four times his (Resolve + Composure). The sorcerer may now also attempt to divine the intentions of a person or thing that he has a direct connection to, in addition to the kind of being that the target is. The sorcerer may also attempt to divine things about a person or thing, such as supernatural weaknesses or strengths, their Virtue or Vice (or equivalent), their relative power, their Aspirations and so on. the sorcerer may attempt to divine the future of his general area, in broad terms. This will show him the most significant event which may happen within the area within the next week. Also, the sorcerer may now attempt to see the future of a specific individual. This will allow his to foresee the most significant event due to happen within the next week. The sorcerer may attempt to discover the past of an object, revealing a number of significant events equal to twice his Resolve going backwards in time. Finally, the sorcerer may attempt to view the past of a location. This is exactly like the level 2 version of investigating the past of an object.
                          4 The diviner may now attempt to discover the location of a person or object within a number of tens of kilometres of the ritual site equal to twice his (Resolve + Composure) This can now operate even into other realms, allowing the sorcerer to locate the Lair of a Beast or the location fo a Changeling within the Hedge. It may also attempt to pierce supernatural obfuscation, initiating a Clash of Wills between the sorcerers and the one who hid the object in question. The sorcerer may attempt to see the true future of a person, bearing witness to a number of possible, significant effects equal to (Resolve) within the next (Composure) weeks. If the sorcerer is in a mystical location, he may attempt to divine the origin of the place's power. the sorcerer may attempt to view the past of an object in more detail, seeing important events in the order of importance, rather than reverse chronological order. The sorcerer may attempt to view the past of a location. This is exactly like the level 3 version of investigating the past of an object.
                          5 The diviner may now attempt to discover the location of a person or object anywhere in this world or another, although it cannot discover the location of a soul which has passed. The sorcerer may attempt to see the true future of a person, bearing witness to a number of possible, significant effects equal to (2*Resolve) within the next (2*Composure) weeks. In addition, he may attempt to view the entire past of an object. The sorcerer may attempt to view the past of a location. This is exactly like the level 4 version of investigating the past of an object.

Unmaking

The branch of sorcery referred to as 'unmaking' is entirely based around undoing the spells and magics of others. It allows the sorcerer to directly combat other magics. Quite simply, a spell of unmaking can undo a supernatural power or spell of a rating equal to or lesser than itself. If the two spells are equal, a Clash of Wills is initiated between the sorcerers and the one who created the targeted effect. If the effect is unranked, such as a Numen, a Nightmare or an Atavism, treat it as having a rating equal to the Supernatural Advantage of the creator (or Rank, if the creator is an Ephemeral being.

The Sorcerer Incarnate

The few Begotten Sorcerers who manage to achieve their Incarnation become even more formidable in their craft. As their connection to the Dark Dream is solidified and strengthened beyond anything a lesser Beast or mortal sorcerer could hope to achieve, his power grows to become something worthy of the descendant of a nightmare goddess.

A Primordial Sorcerer who achieves Incarnation gains the following benefits:

• His spells last now for a number of months equal to his Resolve + Sorcery rating + Lair.
                          • By merging with his Lair, the Apex exerts its resonance wherever he goes. He subtracts his Lair dots from the number of hours between rolls to perform Primordial Sorcery.
                          • While adopting the Beast Shape, he is a living conduit for the Dark Dream's magic. He makes rolls to perform Primordial Sorcery at a rate of one turn per roll.

Sidebar: Sorcerous Inheritance

So, I hear you ask, what happen when a Begotten sorcerer undergoes the Rampant or Unfettered Inheritance? In the case of the Beast Rampant, in drawing the Horror completely into the physical world and destroying its Lair, the Beast has destroyed a great deal of its connection to the Primordial Dream. Furthermore, the Beast Rampant is, to all intents and purposes, an animal, albeit a clever one. Rampant Beasts cannot use Sorcery, as doing so requires a strong connection to the Dark Dream as well as the intelligence and self-awareness to draw upon that connection. Both are somewhat lacking in this case.

The Beast Unfettered, by comparison, has an extremely strong connection to the Primordial Dream, in fact they are more a part of it than a separate thing. On the other hand, the Beast Unfettered is essentially a being motivated entirely by its Hunger. It might possess something resembling intelligence but its self-awareness is sorely lacking. There are occasionally reports and rumours of Unfettered seeming to work sorcery, but these might just as easily be the application of Numina, Influences or the Unfettered merely bringing friends with it from the Dream. Whether there is any truth in these rumours is up to the Storyteller.

Choregoi
                          When the powers of the Dark Dream are called upon with Primordial Sorcery, there is always a price to be paid, and a risk. The price is exacted in the form of night terrors and horrific visions which can, if such magic is used too often by one unprepared, drive a sorcerer mad. The risk, however, is more rarely actualised. A secret that few know - the ones who do are mostly Beasts - is that when a sorcerer calls upon the Dream to perform magic, what is in fact happening is that the sorcerer is grasping the tiniest fragment of the stuff of the Dream and shaping it into a being able to perform his wish - a Choregos.
                          If the magic is performed properly and the sorcerer’s will is sufficient to bind the creature, it ‘possesses’ the sorcerer, works its magic and dissipates. However, if the sorcerer’s will is not up to the task, sometimes this created creature can buck the yoke, escape its fate as a disposable tool and become a true being in its own right, stealing the power of the spell that would have been its death. Once they do so, they typically flee into the Dream, leaving the sorcerer with only nightmares to show for his efforts. Many would most likely try to exact revenge on their creators, if not for the fact that at this point in their lives Choregoi are typically extremely weak, having expended almost all of their energy breaking free from the sorcerer’s bindings.
                          Functionally, Choregoi are Ephemeral beings created using the table below, with a few exceptions.
                          • Choregoi begin with only 1 Essence upon their ‘birth’.
                          • A Choregos’ RAnk is equal to that of the spell which created it. They can advance in Rank with enough time spent in Primordial Chrysalis (see below) - about 1 month*current Rank - but this is slow and uncertain.
                          • Choregoi always possess the Twilight Form, and Primordial Chrysalis (see below) Manifestations. Other than these, they can have a number of Manifestations equal to their Rank. (A Rank 2 Choregos can have the aforementioned Manifestations, as well as two more.)
                          • Choregoi do not possess Influences. Instead, they can spend Essence to fuel certain inherent Sorceries (see below).
                          • Any being possessing dots in the Primordial Sorcerer Merit counts as having the Resonant condition to a Choregos, as do the physical locations of Chambers and areas, people and items under the direct effect of Primordial Sorcery.
                          • The entirety of the Primordial Dream, including Lairs has the Open Condition to Choregoi, as do Primordial Sorcerers in the process of spellcasting and Beasts Incarnate and Rampant.
                          • Choregoi can expend Essence equal to their Rank in order to use Under The Bed to access the primordial Dream through a sleeping mind. Their destination can be anywhere within the primordial dream that they have visited before, including the Lairs of Beasts.
                          • Choregoi can only regain Essence by using the Primordial Chrysalis Manifestation (see below).
                          • Choregoi do not possess Integrity, but do have a Virtue and Vice and regain Willpower through these normally.
                          • A Choregos’ Ban always involves some kind of way to coerce or bind it to cast its inherent sorceries (see below) in favour of the binder, although this method scales in complexity with Rank as is normal with Bans.
                          Rank* Trait Limits** Attribute Dots Maximum Essence Numina
                          5 dots 5–8 10 0-1
                          •• 7 dots 9–14 15 1-2
                          ••• 9 dots 15–25 20 2-3
                          •••• 12 dots 26–35 25 3-4
                          ••••• 15 dots 36–45 50 4-5
                          * Rank acts as Supernatural Tolerance for Choregoi.
                          ** This refers to permanent traits, not temporarily boosted ones.
                          *** Choregoi of Rank 6+ are beyond the scope of rules and fall solidly under ‘plot device’.
                          Inherent Sorceries
                          As a part of their creation, all Choregoi are imbued with certain specific workings of sorcery, marks left upon their very being by the process of their creation. They each begin with a single spell - that which they would have cast, had the spell not gone awry - albeit slightly broadened and made more generally useful. A Fateweaving which would have directed a particular person to a particular location can now guide anyone to a location within a limited range - 5 miles, say, for a Rank 3 sorcery.
                          In order to cast their spells, Choregoi spend Essence equal to the Rank of the spell to make an Extended action, rolling Power + Finesse to a target number of (Spell’s Rank * 5). A choregos may roll a number of times equal to its Rank before having to spend the same amount of Essence again. The Choregos rolls once per minute to cast the sspell.
                          Sidebar: The Big Guns
                          Ordinarily, a Choregos’ magic requires none of the paraphernalia of a Primordial Sorcerer and takes far shorter to cast. For purposes of plot device, drama or other reasons, the Storyteller may choose to add extra stuff on, especially for big spells. For example, a singularly powerful Choregos may only be able to work a particular spell under the full moon or in a particular place or so on. There is no problem with this whatsoever, so long as it serves the plot and helps the players have fun.
                          New Manifestations
                          Primordial Chrysalis
                          The Choregos physically cocoons itself in a place of Primordial power, setting itself up as a leech of sorts. The Choregos regains 1 Essence for every hour it spends with this Manifestation active. It is also immobile, loses its Defense, cannot use any of its Numina or sorceries and is incapable of perceiving its surroundings. When using this Manifestation, the CHoregos can set a time period that it will slumber for before waking (one day, three hours etc) or a condition which will wake it and end the Condition (when a Beast enters the Chamber, when the Stars Are Right etc).
                          However, there are consequences for using this method to regain Essence. The parasitic presence of the Choregos drains the substance and damages the integrity of the Chamber that it lairs in. For every effective Rank of Choregoi using this Manifestation in a single Chamber, any numeric penalties or bonuses to action or damage from Lair Traits are reduced by one. If the Choregoi wake and leave, these factors return at a rate of 1 per day.
                          Chambers in which Choregoi roost slowly become more and more barren and grey until, when a number of Ranks of Choregoi equal to either the Beast’s Lair + Satiety (if the Chamber is part of a Lair) or (5 - years that the Chamber has existed for) if the Chamber is free-floating, they begin to collapse. The Chamber begins to vanish, immediately waking all cocooned Choregoi. If it is a free-floating Chamber, it will swiftly deteriorate over the next half-hour or so. If it has the metaphysical strength of a Beast supporting it, it will last a number of hours equal to the Beast’s Lair. A Beast may enter the Chamber and spend 1 Satiety in order to ‘prop it up’, securing it. This stabilises it and allows the effects of the Chamber to slowly return, as above.
                          Causing the Condition: A successful use of the Primordial Chrysalis Manifestation on a Chamber causes this Condition.
                          Ending the Condition: The Condition ends if the Choregos wakes. If a cocooned Choregos suffers any Lethal damage, it will immediately awaken and all Essence gained from that ‘resting’ will be lost.
                          Sidebar: The Care and Feeding of Spells
                          A clever Beast could certainly offer the use of one or more of its Chambers to a Choregos to cocoon itself in, in return for the Choregos using its magic to the Beast’s ends. Such an arrangement would likely be beneficial to both parties and could make the Beast in question a veritable sorcerous powerhouse, by proxy. If such a situation arises in play, perhaps with a player character, the crafty little things that they are, making a deal with a Choregos, one way to change this from simple powergaming (however in-character it might be) into an interesting storyline might be to have the Beast in question gain a reputation among Choregoi as one who allows roosting in his Chambers. This might attract unwelcome squatters with little interest in doing as the Beast says.

Comment

Sub-Merits

Cursed Words (OOO)
                            Prerequisites: Primordial Sorcery, Composure 4, Occult 4
                            Effect: Through your knowledge of the primordial Dream and of the movements of the heavens, you are able to 'hang' a spell upon certain words, so that it does not take effect until you speak them. This could allow a sorcerer to 'store' a curse or use it as a threat which can be brought to bear much more quickly that would otherwise be possible. Only one spell can be stored like this.
                            The lengthy ritual in order to cast the spell must still be completed though. In the case of Curses and Blessings, a physical mark must still be left upon the location to be affected and for Enchanting, the object must still be crafted or altered during the casting of the spell.
                            Drawback: The words must still be spoken in order for the spell to take effect. If the sorcerer is rendered incapable of speaking them, for whatever reason, the spell is rendered impotent. Also, the spell's duration begins when the ritual finishes. If the words are not spoken within the time limit, the spell will fade away into nothingness and will have accomplished nothing.

Speaker of Curses (O-OOOOO)
                            Prerequisites: Cursed Words
                            Effect: The sorcerer may now 'store' a number of spells equal to his dots in this Merit + 1

Sacrificial Magic (OOO)
                            Prerequisites: Primordial Sorcery, Resolve 4 ,Occult 3, cannot possess the Beast Template
                            Effect: By making sacraments and sacrifices to the great powers of the Dark Dream, the sorcerer can make his workings of sorcery easier. See chart below for specific bonuses.
                            Sacrifice Effect
                            Sacrificing a small animal, such as a chicken, rabbit or rat. +1 die to invoking the sorcery.
                            Sacrificing at least a dozen small animals. +2 dice to invoking the sorcery.
                            Sacrificing a large animal, such as a cow, goat, large dog or horse. +3 dice to invoking the sorcery.
                            Sacrificing at least a dozen large animals. +4 dice to invoking the sorcery
                            Sacrificing a human being or other sentient and sapient creature. +5 dice to invoking the sorcery
                            Sacrificing at least a dozen sentient and sapient creatures. +6 dice for invoking the sorcery
                            Drawbacks: The sacrifices that you might carry out could easily be a breaking point for Integrity. Beasts are, for fairly obvious reasons, exempt from this.

Arcane Hungers (OOO)
                            Prerequisites: Primordial Sorcery, Beast
                            Effect: The Beast has learned to harness the Horror to the purpose of aiding in his sorcery, feeding terror into its nightmare maw in exchange for using it as a conduit for drawing more power from the Dark Dream. Whenever the Beast makes a successful feeding roll, instead of gaining Satiety equal to successes, he may instead keep those successes as bonus dice to add to his pool the next time he attempts to cast a spell using Primordial Sorcery. Only one bonus may be stored at a time and the bonus will only endure for a number of days equal to (Lair + Resolve).

Dark Sage (O to OOOOO, Style)
                            Prerequisites: Primordial Sorcery, Resolve or Composure 3, Occult 4
                            Effect: You have immersed yourself in the horrors (and wonders) of the Primordial Dream so extensively that your ability to command them has increased.

Spellweaver (o) -- Your constant immersion in the magic of the Dark Dream has allowed you to call upon its power with greater speed. You now halve the time spent for each roll in Primordial Sorcery.

Spellbinder (oo) -- Your growing knowledge in the craft has reached the point where you need not extend yourself too much in a given invocation. Instead, some of the energy needed is drawn through the chambers of a Lair, or taken straight from the Dream itself.

Mortals and Heroes now only need to spend Willpower equal to half the level of the spell (rounded up). Beasts, on the other hand, do not need to spend Satiety for spells whose level is equal to or less than half their dots in Lair (rounded down).

Primordial Envoy (ooo) - You now channel the energies of your fellow sorcerers more effectively, allowing you to divide the cost of a given spell among yourselves. If all participants have at least one dot in Dark Sage, you may apply the previous benefits to the group casting.

Primordial Font (oooo) -- For Beasts, those who reach this level of prowess as Dark Sages nurture a particularly strong connection to their Lairs. Other sorcerers, meanwhile, learn to draw from the sympathetic energies of a Lair whose Beast they are connected to.

If performing Primordial Sorcery at a place resonant with a Lair Chamber, the Beast gains the rote quality to his rolls. Other Sorcerers can.access this benefit if they currently have the Family Ties Condition from one of the Begotten.

Grand Arcanum (ooooo) -- The greatest Primordial Sorcerers can work their magic at greater speeds. By choosing to pay the full Willpower cost (or spend a Satiety dot), you may now roll to a target number equal to three successes per spell level.

Urban Sorcerer (OOOO)
                            Prerequisites:
                            Primordial Sorcerer, Resolve 4
                            Effect: You are adjusted to using sorcery in urban locales. Reduce the penalty incurred by using magic in areas of high population by 2 hours. This cannot go into negative numbers.

Legendary Crafter (OOOO)
                            Prerequisites:
                            Primordial Sorcerer, Enchanting 4
                            Effect: The sorcerer has learned to tap into the legendary archetypes contained within the Dark Dream and to draw them out into the phenomenal world. Things like Mjolnir, the shield Aegis or Odin's spear Grungnir are not just stories. They exists within the Dream and those sorcerers who know how can harness a fraction of the power of that archetype. When enchanting an item with a level 4 spell, the sorcerer can utilise an object's mythic associations as well as its ordinary ones. For example, a sorcerer could draw on the mythic symbol of Mjolnir to make a war hammer that, in addition to its physical damage, electrocutes its targets.

Artificer (OOO)
                            Prerequisites:
                            Primordial Sorcery, Enchanting 3, Summoning or Fateweaving or Blessings and Curses 2, Occult 3+
                            Effect: Through time and practice, you have discovered how to imbue the effects of a fateweaving or blessing or curse into an item. Once the item is created (which is simply rolled as a normal enchanting), the fateweaving will affect the one holding the item, a curse or blessing will center its area of effect on the bearer and the Phantasm created by Summoning will answer to the bearer.
                            Drawback: The item can be stolen, granting its benefits or maledictions to one who was not meant to be the target.

Harrowed Mystic (OO or OOOO)
                            Prerequisites: Primordial Sorcery, Occult 3, Hero or Unseen Sense (Astral or Primordial Dream)
                            Effect:Through mental conditioning and repeated exposure to the nightmares stirred into being by your craft, you are now capable of enacting a number of invocations before your mind is beset by the horrors of the Dark Dream.

With the two-dot version, the Primordial Sorcerer has built up some resistance to the Primordial Dream's intrusion into his thoughts. He can perform a number of spells equal to his Resolve in a day before he begins suffering from nightmares.

With the four-dot version, he has become more resilient to the Dream's touch. He now subtracts his Resolve from the length of the drawback. If this would reduce the duration to zero, then the sorcerer instead rolls his Resolve + Composure at a penalty equal to the level of the strongest spell he's performed for the day. A Failure causes him to experience a nightmare, while a Dramatic Failure causes it to act like a beacon for any nearby Heroes.

Nightmare Sanction (OO)
                            Prerequisites: Beast, Fateweaving 1, Blessings and Curses 1, Unmaking 1, Occult 3
                            Effect: Magic always has a price. And for those who dare to break a Beast's control over their fates, the price can be a steep one. By spending a Willpower point while crafting his spell, the sorcerer can add a Nightmare that will torment whoever breaks it. In the case of Blessings and Curses, the Nightmare will strike whoever breaks the symbols they are anchored to. In the case of Fateweaving, it strikes whoever attempts to break the spell by magical means.

Totema (O to OOO, Style)
                            Prerequisites: Beast, Primordial Sorcery
                            Effect: A fair number of Begotten sorcerers also carve out Legends as Totemic Beasts. For them, the choice to become tied to a given community provided them with a medium through which they could channel their craft more effectively. In order to benefit from Totema, the Sorcerer must be a Totemic Beast.

Dark Patron (O) -- A Totemic Beast versed in the art of Primordial Sorcery finds that his craft becomes less time-consuming when he performs it in service to his community. Each dot in Totema allows him to halve the target number of successes he must roll towards, so long as the spell is done on behalf of a community member.

Shadow Mentor (OO) -- In synchronizing his knowledge of the Dark Dream's blessings with his link to his wards, the sorcerer can draw strength from their prayers and offerings, effevtively bringing them into the invocation. So long as he is the primary actor, the Beast may let members of his community contribute to the spell as part of a teamwork action.
                            Drawback: Unless they are Dark Sorcerers, members of the congregation roll only their Resolve for the dice pool. Furthermore, a single lapse of faith from one of the uninitiated can disrupt the spellwork and cause it to go awry. If an uninitiated member of the congregation rolls a failure, he subtracts a number of successes equal to [10 - Composure] before falling unconscious. Furthermore, they suffer the usual drawbacks of participating in an act of Primordial Sorcery.

Nightmare Priesthood (OOO) -- The Beast's connection to those of his community is deep enough that he may briefly open their eyes to the Dark Dream's secrets if he wishes. By spending a dot of Satiety and touching one of his wards, he may confer upon him phantom dots in Primordial Sorcery equal to half his Lair (rounded up). These dots can be allocated among the different branches that the Beast possesses knowledge of, cannot exceed the Beast's rating in a given branch, and last for a number of days equal to the Beast's Resolve + Lair.

Primeval Shaman (O-OOOOO, Style)
                            Prerequisites: Primordial Sorcery, Occult 2+
                            Effect: In ancient times, this world and others were but a step away. Beings of legend roamed the earth and great and terrible spirits – and stranger things still –ruled as gods over the villages of early man. In the waking world, humanity has forgotten those eldritch tyrants, couched the tales of their depravities and depredations in allegory and symbolism. They relegated them to tales and legends. And like all legends, they lived on in the Primordial Dream. You have learned to call upon that mystic sympathy to effect the descendents of the ancient spirits.

Spirit Dreams (O)
                            Prerequisites: Fateweaving 1+ or Divination 1+ or Unmaking 1+
                            The sorcerer may attempt to cast spells upon spirits and other beings of the Shadow, such as Hosts, as well as the effects of their powers. Additionally, the sorcerer gains instinctive knowledge of the First Tongue, as well as the ability to speak it, albeit with a distinct ‘accent’. Although normally a human could not speak this strange tongue, due to the necessity for vocal cords that are not present in the human anatomy, the voice of the Horror substitutes.
                            A spiritual being may attempt to shake off a spell being cast upon it, rolling Power as an Extended action once every (10 - Rank) hours while the spell is being cast. The target of the spell is automatically aware that something is attempting to affect them. If the being accumulates a number of successes equal to the sorcerer’s Resolve + Composure (+Lair), the spell does not take. If the spirit achieves an Exceptional Success, the spell is immediately cancelled. If a Dramatic Failure is suffered, the ghost may not try again to dispel it.

Call the Spirits (OO)
                            Prerequisites: Summoning 1+
                            Instead of creating a Phantasm, the sorcerer may attempt to summon a spirit, so long as the sorcerer is in the same world as the spirit to be summoned (they must be in the Shadow to summon a spirit residing there). The can only summon ghosts of a Rank equal to or less than his Summoning rating. A ghost can resist the summoning as described under Spirit Dreams. The sorcerer cannot summon Hosts, although Claimed can be summoned. The spell creates the Open condition in the ritual site or, if the spell has been ‘stored’ with Cursed Words, in the area immediately surrounding teh sorcerer when the spell is activated.
                            The summoning may be a gentle plea for attention and audience or a demand for the spirit to appear, enforced with the power of the Dark Dream. Bear in mind though, that many spirits (especially the more powerful ones) will not be pleased at being called.

Lord of Hosts (OOO)
                            Prerequisites: Fateweaving 2+
                            The sorcerer may now attempt to bind a spiritual to his will. If the spell succeeds, the ghost will follow the orders of the sorcerer as if it were a Phantasm bound to his will, so long as the sorcerer addresses the commands to the spirit by name. The sorcerer may even command a spirit to Claim another being.
                            Drawback: Few spirits take to being commanded lightly and when the spell wears off, well, you’d better make sure that you have something between you and them.

Gatekeeper (OOOO)
                            Prerequisites: Blessings and Curses 1+
                            Between this world and the Shadow lies a vicious barrier, the Gauntlet. It is what keeps spirits from crossing into this world at will, as well as keeping humans from wandering into that Darwinian hell. You, though, have gained the ability to manipulate that barrier, making it stronger or weaker at will. When attempting to modify the Gauntlet, the sorcerer must state the Level he intends to bring it to. If the spell is successful, the Gauntlet reaches that level. The sorcerer may use this to create a Verge if the Gauntlet is reduced to 0. The sorcerer may only increase decrease the Gauntlet rating of a given area by a number equal to his rating in Curses and Blessings.

Banecrafter (OOOOO)
                            Prerequisites: Enchanting 1+
                            All spirits have something they fear above all else, something that is anathema to their very existence. This is their Bane. A sorcerer with the correct knowledge can weaponise this fatal weakness even beyond its natural state, incorporating it into a weapon designed specifically to combat a specific spirit. The sorcerer may enchant an object or weapon to be a Bane to a specific spirit. The targeted spirit can be of a Rank no higher than the sorcerer’s Enchanting rating. In order to create such a weapon, the spirit’s true Bane must be known.
                            Drawback: A sorcerer who uses this power indiscriminately might all too easily find himself a target for vengeful spirits or an asset so valued by the half-wolf, half-man creatures that stalk beneath the moon that they lock him away, using him as a weapon in their war upon the spirits.

Primeval Necromancer (O to OOOOO, Style)
                            Prerequisites: Primordial Sorcery 4+, Occult 3+
                            Effect: You know the mysteries of the Dark Dream and have studied the powers of the Great Below. After all, they say that death is but a sleep from which one does not wake. What do the dead dream of, I wonder?

The Dead Lie Dreaming (O)
                            Prerequisites: Fateweaving 1+ or Divination 1+ or Unmaking 1+
                            The sorcerer may attempt to cast spells upon ghosts and other beings of the Underworld, as well as the effects of their powers.
                            A ghost may attempt to shake off a spell being cast upon it, rolling Power as an Extended action once every (10 - Rank) hours in the case of Divination or Unmaking. If the ghost accumulates a number of successes equal to the sorcerer’s Resolve + Composure, the spell does not take. If the ghost achieves an Exceptional Success, the spell is immediately cancelled. If a Dramatic Failure is suffered, the ghost may not try again to dispel it.

Call Beyond the Grave (OO)
                            Prerequisites: Summoning 1+
                            Instead of creating a Phantasm, the sorcerer may attempt to summon a ghost The sorcerer must possess one of the ghost’s Anchors in order to work the summoning if the ghost remains in the phenomenal world. In order to summon a ghost from the Underworld, the sorcerer must know the ghost’s name in life, as well as have either known the ghost in life or have a person present at the ritual who did. The sorcerer can only summon ghosts of a Rank equal to or less than his Summoning rating. A ghost can resist the summoning as described under The Dead Lie Dreaming. If the sorcerer is summoning a ghost from the Underworld, he must also possess Enchanting at a rating equal to the ghost’s Rank, in order to create an Anchor

Lord of the Dead (OOO)
                            Prerequisites: Fateweaving 2+
                            The sorcerer may now attempt to bind a ghost to his will. If the spell succeeds, the ghost will follow the orders of the sorcerer as if it were a Phantasm bound to his will, so long as the sorcerer addresses the commands to the ghost by name. The ghost need only obey the letter of the command, not the spirit of it.

Mortal Bonds (OOOO)
                            Prerequisites: Enchanting 3+
                            The sorcerer may now attempt to create a new Anchor for a ghost, or transfer an existing Anchor to a new object or thing. Both the current Anchor and the one to be created must be present at the ritual. If the Anchor is an action, a ritualistic pantomime of the action must be carried out.

Mortal Coil (OOOOO)
                            All ghosts have something they fear above all else, something that is anathema to their very existence. This is their Bane. A sorcerer with the correct knowledge can weaponise this fatal weakness even beyond its natural state, incorporating it into a weapon designed specifically to combat a specific ghost. The sorcerer may enchant an object or weapon to be a Bane to a specific ghost. The targeted ghost can be of a Rank no higher than the sorcerer’s Enchanting rating. In order to create such a weapon, the ghost’s true Bane must be known.

Hungry Weapons (OO)
                            Prerequisites: Primeval Shaman 5 or Primeval Necromancer 5
                            Effect: Having learnt to forge weapons that exploit a spirit or ghost’s Bane, you have taken the destruction of their kind one step further. Beyond destroying their ephemeral shells, you can now create arms that can drain the very Essence that fuels their almost-lives. A being killed by such a weapon cannot reform. In order for the weapon to be created, the sorcerer must have knowledge of the target’s Bane, which must be integrated into the ritual to create it. Note that the ‘weapon’ need not be an actual weapon, although it is more common to craft it as one. It could be made into a powder, to be flung into the target’s face or a sigil, to be laid as a trap. Such unconventional weapons need to be crafted individually, a sorcerer can only empower one sigil per spell, although the sigil may be made in a convenient shape (such as a circle filled with glyphs).
                            The weapon thus created deals damage as normal, save for the following effects upon its intended target:
                            • The weapon is solid in Twilight to the target.
                            • Every turn that the entity is in physical contact with the weapon, it is drained of 1 Essence
                            This Merit can only affect ghosts or spirits. In order to affect both, you must have both the prerequisites and buy it a second time.

Working Sorcery

The sorcery of the Dark Dream is not a magic which can be learnt from dusty tomes. It is not a magic of arcane words and esoteric mutterings. It is a magic born from the collective human hindbrain, the dark side of our species. It is made of primordial wants, fears and desires, of blood and sex and courage and cowardice, oh so loosely bound by the cycles of myth and civilization which we built up to protect ourselves from the truth of our natures and the nature of the world.

The workings of primordial sorcery are unique to every individual sorcerer and even more to each individual spell. Even two spells which have the exact same effect might have completely different rituals to cast them, as the landscape of the Dark Dream changes from moment to moment and the demands it makes upon its wielders change likewise. Primordial sorcery is instinctual and primal in its making. There are no books of magic from which one can draw, no rune-carved walls detailing the casting of a certain spell. There is only intent, will and the bloody-minded determination to rip power from the darkness and bring it into the light, shaping it in the calling.

Making Contact

Before a sorcerer can work any magic at all, he must first connect to the Primordial Dream. Each sorcerer’s method of doing this is different and varies greatly by the nature of their connection.

A Beast uses his Lair as a go-between, allowing him to draw power from its place and importance in the Dream. Beasts most often work sorceries within their Lairs in the form of the Horror, for a better connection. A great wolf might hunt the prey of his forest, re-affirming his place as apex predator and calling the Dream into himself with every gulp of fresh blood. A dragon might brood upon his hoard contemplating the treasures he has amassed, every breath which carries the scent of gold drawing with it the power he seeks. In mechanical terms, a Beast must interact with his Hunger in order to work his sorceries. This will not garner him Satiety, unless the actions he takes would otherwise enable such.

A Hero relies upon his place in the narrative of the world in order to draw upon the power of the Dream. He basks in the worship of his followers, letting their praise fill him with purpose. He speaks of the righteousness of his cause, the purpose for which he was granted his power. He speaks to himself, in the darkness of the cellar which he has locked himself in, of the reason for which he desires this power, he begs of the Dream its gifts, so that he can teach the people who need to be taught. Mechanically, the Hero must likewise interact with his Legend. This does not count as fulfilling the Hero’s Legend for the purposes of Willpower gain.

Mortals have a harder time of connecting to the Dream than Beasts or Heroes, lacking the metaphysical infrastructure to do so with ease. Instead, many use methods such as ecstatic dancing, orgies, drugs, meditation, frenzied chanting and other such aids to draw down the power required. Raging fires and other manifestations of unchecked power are common motifs in the rituals of a mortal sorcerer. Many workings of a sorcerer’s spell bear more than a passing resemblance to the Black Sabbaths that medieval witches were supposed to have enacted on days holy to the Devil. Perhaps there’s something more than stories to these so-called ‘profane’ rites.

No matter how the sorcerer connects to the Dream, the final stage of forging the link is to fall into a strange slumber, sometimes for mere minutes, sometimes for hours. This always happens, no matter what the sorcerer does before hand. While they sleep, those who can perceive the immaterial will notice strange shapes fluttering and dancing around the sorcerer’s body, like fragments of shadow cast through coloured glass. Sometimes the coalesce into a more distinct figure: a shape, never the same from one moment to the next, but somehow always female and always terrifying.
                            Sorcerers rarely remember anything of the events that occur while they dream, but some have spoken of a vast, inchoate darkness, not black but not any other colour either, and something stirring in its depths, something immeasurably greater than them. A god in all but name, but caring. Like a mother. Some describe the sounds of its passing as like a half-remembered lullaby to which they can never remember the words.

Shaping the Spells

Upon waking from his slumber, the sorcerer is filled with the power of the Primordial Dream. Unshaped through the lens of Gift, Atavism or Nightmare, it roils inside, a sea of energy just waiting to be unleashed. The sorcerer is filled with a kind of manic energy, an almost maddening drive to channel the power out of him, with the energy itself providing the conduit. Upon waking, the sorcerer finds himself inspired with the process he must take to create what he wants. For this reason, sorcery is often performed in a well-stocked workshop, filled with herbs, spices, minerals and other paraphernalia for the sorcerer to work with, for they never know for sure exactly what they will need to finish the spell.

If the sorcerer does not have the requirements to hand, he will proceed to obtain them as quickly as possible, being almost possessed by the power of the spell he is working. If he needs something as simple as salt and does not have it, he might break into the nearest convenience store, grab the closest container and smash the window on the way out, not paying even though he has more than enough money. The sorcerer is no more able to resist this compulsion than he could beat back the sea with his hands. He invited the Dream into himself to do this. It will make the spell real, no matter the sorcerer’s opinions on the matter. He is the vessel and the channel through which the spell is called, not its master. For reasons that ought to be obvious, this is an outcome that can have some unpleasant repercussions for the sorcerer.

Fortunately, the materials necessary for primordial sorcery are rarely exceedingly scarce or valuable, mostly consisting of things which have a place as magical in myths and stories, such as salt and iron filings, mistletoe, rosemary, pure water, blood, chicken bones and so on. More… unpleasant components such as human sacrifice or the like are not demanded by the Dream. If the sorcerer chooses to go to such lengths to work his magic (and has the necessary Merits) they might become a part of the process, but such things are offered, not demanded. A child's gift to their mother is all the more valuable when it is given without being asked, after all.

Comment

This one isn't strictly a Beast Merit, but the original version presented in the Beast Core is really underwhelming. All it does is offer 1 point of General Armor that applies against aggravated damage. Here's my version. Feedback is appreciated.

Iron Skin (Epic, ••• or ••••)
                              Prerequisites: Major Supernatural Template, Advanced Iron Skin 2, Stamina 5
                              Effect: Your character is nigh invincible. For the 3 dot version, you may spend 1 willpower point whenever you are attacked and roll Stamina + Supernatural Tolerance. Each Success negates one point of damage, regardless of its type. Even if the roll fails, your character is considered to have received 1 Success. The maximum amount of damage that may be negated this way is equal to the character's Stamina. For the 5 dot version, no Willpower points are needed. This stacks with other sources of Armor. At the ST's discretion, characters without a Major Supernatural Template may acquire this Merit if they have at least one dot in the Supernatural Resistance Merit (see Hurt Locker, page 78).
                              Drawback: This Merit does not apply against Banes.

Comment

Hi everyone, I have just started posting but have written home brew for WOD for a while now. Beast really inspires me. Let me know what you think of this:

Two Faced (●)
                                Prerequisite: Supernatural Template, Striking Looks
                                Effect: You exemplify the dichotomy of the monsters condition. In one guise your flawless skin, authoritative voice or sympathetic gaze inspire trust and confidence. But on the other side of your face lurks the monster; ever hungry and waiting to seize its chance. Your characters Striking Looks is dual natured representing two contrasting halves of their existence. When you take Two Faced determine which parts of the characters appearance exemplify the other half of their nature and what impression these cause. They can choose which parts of that appearance are at the fore in any given scene.
                                Drawback: In any scene where the character changes the effect of their Striking Looks from one type of impression to another they lose access to the initial effect of Striking Looks. Once the fangs come out or the mask goes on first impressions are shattered and switching back will only cause confusion and doubt. Prolonged exposure to both halves of the characters appearance can also cause a creeping doubt in the veracity of either and the Storyteller may rule that a given person or group becomes inured to the merits effects.

"The ego is not king of its own castle."

Comment

Working...
                                X