Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Black Sheep (ooo)

Prerequisite: Beast

Effects: Every family has the occasional member who they don't like to talk about. The one who brings shame upon their heritage; a Beast who possesses this merit is a living Anathema to their own family. A lingering omen that the family's downfall may come at the hands of their own people, rather than an outside threat. They receive a +2 bonus on the use of offensive powers against Beasts of the same Family. If the target also shares their hunger, this bonus increases to +3.
    Last edited by Nyrufa; 05-17-2017, 04:06 PM.

Comment

Tinkering with a Merit, but I think it might need some feedback. Can't decide if it's fitting and interesting in the first place, not to mention too strong or too weak. I also have in mind some advanced Merits that start from this one, but it's too soon for those.

Recurrent Soul (OOOO)

Effects: Some monsters seem to survive through the ages as their legends resurfaces over and over. The character's Horror appears to be one of these creatures, a notorious nightmare that refuses to drown in the depths of the Primordial Dream. When the character merges with such Horror, it is not only remade into a new entity but gains access to the memories of those who accepted that Horror within their soul in the past. Many wonder if this is to be considered a form of reincarnation, a legacy of some sort or a dangerous corruption, but what it means on the practical side is that the character gains access to the memories of his predecessors and is able to use their experience and abilities. The characters taps into the memories buried within the Primordial Dream through his Horror and his body and mind change accordingly. A Begotten has to be careful doing so, since the ordeal awakens memories that might refuse to leave.

Once per scene, the character might spend 1 Satiety and roll Intelligence + Composure. Choose a skill. The Beast gains a number of bonus dice equal to the successes to all rolls that involve that skill for the remainder of the scene, as the memories of his Begotten ancestors guide him. These dice do not negate the penalties for an untrained Skill, but can be used to counter them.

Whether the initial roll is successfull or not, the Beast must roll Resolve + Composure, with a cumulative -1 penalty equal to the times she used this Merit during the session. On a failure, she gains a negative mental Condition, representing the conflicting personalities that are struggling within her mind and soul. Conditions like Agoraphobic, Confused, Delusional, Distracted, Frightened and Paranoid are appropriate examples.
      Last edited by Cinder; 05-19-2017, 12:51 PM.

Cinder's Comprehensive Collection of Creations - Homebrew Hub
      Currently writing: "Dark Era: The Forest That Weeps". When not busy writing homebrew, I also try to write CoD fiction.

I'm more friendly than I look, I'm just bad at showing it. Trying to improve about that.

Comment

I might make that character creation only. Also, what of instead of it applying to all skills, it has a variable dot rating representing how many incarnations the Horror has had, with each dot representing contacting a new incarnation ad gaining a new set of skills you can apply bonus dice to? Also, if you don't make it character creation only, what if Ancient Horror was a prerequisite?

By the way, great Merit!
        Last edited by Master Aquatosic; 05-19-2017, 11:58 AM.

A god is just a monster you kneel to. - ArcaneArts, Quoting "Fall of Gods"

Comment

Originally posted by Master Aquatosic View Post
          I might make that character creation only. Also, what of instead of it applying to all skills, it has a variable dot rating representing how many incarnations the Horror has had, with each dot representing contacting a new incarnation ad gaining a new set of skills you can apply bonus dice to? Also, if you don't make it character creation only, what if Ancient Horror was a prerequisite?

By the way, great Merit!
          My reasoning for leaving that open was that it would be cool that discover, through bonding with it via roleplaying, that, making an example, your Horror is not "just" a seasnake but Jormungadr itself and that you're the last of a long list of people that "inherited" it. Which in turn leaves it open for all kinds of story hooks if other aspects of it pop up in other corners of the Chronicles of Darkness. That said, I do get what you're saying: perhaps it's better to limit it to character creation, it's probably smoother and more appropriate.

The idea that each dots grants you a new Incarnation is cool but personally I'd rather leave it open and "unknown". A matter of taste, but for the first merit at least, I think it's better to leave things a little bit mysterious. I'd rather go with the "as many incarnations as needed", with the caveat the Storyteller and the player can have fun with this.I might explore the idea if I go ahead and makes a Merit tree from this one, though.

Ancient Horror...does make sense, not gonna contest that.

Glad you liked the Merit though, and thanks for the feedback!

Currently writing: "Dark Era: The Forest That Weeps". When not busy writing homebrew, I also try to write CoD fiction.

I'm more friendly than I look, I'm just bad at showing it. Trying to improve about that.

Comment

Originally posted by Cinder View Post
            My reasoning for leaving that open was that it would be cool that discover, through bonding with it via roleplaying, that, making an example, your Horror is not "just" a seasnake but Jormungadr itself and that you're the last of a long list of people that "inherited" it. Which in turn leaves it open for all kinds of story hooks if other aspects of it pop up in other corners of the Chronicles of Darkness. That said, I do get what you're saying: perhaps it's better to limit it to character creation, it's probably smoother and more appropriate.=

No, I think you were right. Something that can provide story hooks for a flagging chronicle as well as some cool new abilities is too good to restrict to character creation. I hadn't thought of it that way. Oh man, now I want to try to imagine the Midgard Serpent as a spirit. I've never written anything up before, but do you think the core would be enough to do something like that justice?

A god is just a monster you kneel to. - ArcaneArts, Quoting "Fall of Gods"

Comment

Tinkering with a Merit, but I think it might need some feedback. Can't decide if it's fitting and interesting in the first place, not to mention too strong or too weak. I also have in mind some advanced Merits that start from this one, but it's too soon for those.

Recurrent Soul (OOOO)

Effects: Some monsters seem to survive through the ages as their legends resurfaces over and over. The character's Horror appears to be one of these creatures, a notorious nightmare that refuses to drown in the depths of the Primordial Dream. When the character merges with such Horror, it is not only remade into a new entity but gains access to the memories of those who accepted that Horror within their soul in the past. Many wonder if this is to be considered a form of reincarnation, a legacy of some sort or a dangerous corruption, but what it means on the practical side is that the character gains access to the memories of his predecessors and is able to use their experience and abilities. The characters taps into the memories buried within the Primordial Dream through his Horror and his body and mind change accordingly. A Begotten has to be careful doing so, since the ordeal awakens memories that might refuse to leave.

Once per scene, the character might spend 1 Satiety and roll Intelligence + Composure. Choose a skill. The Beast gains a number of bonus dice equal to the successes to all rolls that involve that skill for the remainder of the scene, as the memories of his Begotten ancestors guide him. These dice do not negate the penalties for an untrained Skill, but can be used to counter them.

Whether the initial roll is successfull or not, the Beast must roll Resolve + Composure, with a cumulative -1 penalty equal to the times she used this Merit during the session. On a failure, she gains a negative mental Condition, representing the conflicting personalities that are struggling within her mind and soul. Conditions like Agoraphobic, Confused, Delusional, Distracted, Frightened and Paranoid are appropriate examples.
              Why would I pick this over Mimir's Wisdom? This comes with a severe drawback and costs the same as or 1 more Experience than Mimir's Wisdom, depending on your Family. This requires a good roll to be of any use, while Mimir's Wisdom automatically gives you dots of Mental Skills and Library when you spend 1 Satiety, on top of everything else. Even if this can give you Physical and Social Skills, it's a raw deal.
              Last edited by GibberingEloquence; 05-19-2017, 10:11 PM.

"Fate is a cruel jester with a finely developed sense of irony." - Sir Night as portrayed by Leliel, The Horror Recognition Guide

Comment

Originally posted by GibberingEloquence View Post
                Why would I pick this over Mimir's Wisdom? This comes with a severe drawback and costs the same as or 1 more Experience than Mimir's Wisdom, depending on your Family. This requires a good roll to be of any use, while Mimir's Wisdom automatically gives you dots of Mental Skills and Library when you spend 1 Satiety, on top of everything else. Even if this can give you Physical and Social Skills, it's a raw deal.
                You think lowering the dots and/or making it use Willpower instead of Satiety would be better?

Comment

You think lowering the dots and/or making it use Willpower instead of Satiety would be better?
                  I think that simply giving more dots to Skills is not fitting for what you are trying to represent. It's useful, but it doesn't convey the feeling of an unique and legendary monster. Here's my suggestion:

Make the Merit cost 1 to 5 dots, capped by your Lair. Each dot in this Merit adds a function to one of your Atavisms that is unique to your legendary ancestry.

For example: your Dragonfire might come from Hell itself, allowing you to allowing you to roll Presence + Intimidation instead of Stamina + Athletics, avoid dealing damage to people with certain Virtues or Conditions related to Virtue, while having additional effects against people with certain Vices or Conditions related to Vice.

Another example: your Infestation may allow you to reshape your body to varying degrees as if you were made of clay or nanomachines.

This additional function is innate, and does not require Willpower points. Whether it requires that Resolve + Composure roll to avoid gaining a negative Mental Condition is up to you.
                  Last edited by GibberingEloquence; 05-20-2017, 02:26 PM.

"Fate is a cruel jester with a finely developed sense of irony." - Sir Night as portrayed by Leliel, The Horror Recognition Guide

Comment

Working...
                  X