X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deionscribe
    started a topic Homebrew Beast Merits

Homebrew Beast Merits

Yep. Here's my Beast edition for Homebrew Merits. Expect a lot of the Beast (and Hero stuff) that Arcanist and I are brewing up to appear here in this thread. As always, constructive critique and contributions are appreciated.

BEAST MERITS

Ancient Horror ( to •••••) By Arcanist and Deionscribe
    Prerequisites: Beast
    Effect: Perhaps your Horror is particularly powerful, or has been around since ancient times and may have incarnated over several generations. Either way, this makes you more powerful than other Children of your standing, and to the dismay of those you direct your Hunger upon. You add your dots in this Merit to your effective Lair rating for the purpose of determining the power of your Atavisms and Nightmares.

Drawbacks: You don't just cause ripples in the Primordial Dream. You create tidal waves. And the strength possessed by your Horror makes it harder for you to sate its Hunger. You add your dots in this Merit to your effective Lair rating for the purpose of losing Satiety, as well as to all attempts made by Heroes to track you.

Dark Walker (o to ooo) By Deionscribe
    Prerequisites: Resolve 3
    Effect: You are well-versed in traversing both the Primordial Pathways and other supernatural passages, and can open any one of them with ease. For each dot you possess in this Merit, you gain a +1 bonus to Opening Pathways and using Skeleton Key.

Dark Walker (Advanced, oo) By Deionscribe
    Prerequisites: Dark Walker
    Effect: Your ability over supernatural gateways has grown to the point that it requires less effort for you to open them. When rolling to open a Primordial Pathway or use Skeleton Key, you gain an Exceptional Success at three successes instead of five.

Find a Vein (• to •••••) By Satchel
    Prerequisite: Presence or Stamina rating of [Merit dots + 2]
    It is in the nature of the Begotten to feast, but the hungers of their kin tend to be more rarefied. A Beast with this Merit can provide for their family with a bit of effort, tapping into currents of stray supernatural energy that lie buried within the Primordial Dream called Veins.

A Beast seeking to draw upon a Vein must first have room in their Lair to add a Chamber and possess the Family Ties Condition with a supernatural being capable of storing the energies they wish to draw forth. Having met these conditions, the Beast must satisfy their Hunger upon one or more similarly resonant supernatural beings with an act whose Satiety potential is 7 or higher in the presence of one or more of their Lair Traits and spend a point of Satiety as though adding a Chamber to the Lair; this confluence of metaphysical appetite is enough to bring forth a Vein of the appropriate supernatural energy in the Lair of the Beast and her brood.

For the rest of the story, a pool of [dots in this Merit + Beast's Occult rating] points of an appropriate supernatural power currency runs through the Lair. This pool refreshes at the same rate as the Beast normally would lose Satiety over time and can be refreshed at will with the expenditure of a dot of Satiety.

This pool can be accessed from any Chamber in the Lair, but for every Burrow between a Chamber and the shortest route to the Beast's Heart, subtract one point from the pool of available power currency, to a minimum of zero; the last crumbs of the Begotten's meal must be scraped together from within the Heart itself. Supernatural beings with the Family Ties Condition tagged to the Beast mitigate this reduction of the pool by [Supernatural Tolerance/3 rounded up] points, though this does not increase the pool's maximum capacity; the bonds of Kinship permit the supernatural energies to flow more readily, but no amount of metaphysical closeness will change the amount of sustenance to be had. Any supernatural being that partakes of the feast subtracts one Door from Social Maneuvering attempts by the Beast to place the Family Ties Condition on them.

Redefining the Burrows in a Lair with a Vein removes the Beast's Occult rating from the pool's maximum size until the next chapter. A Vein counts as a Chamber for the purposes of available slots in a given Beast's Lair, and tapping a Vein counts as adding a Chamber. At the end of the story, the Vein sinks back into the Dark Dream, though the Beast can prevent this from happening for the length of another story with the expenditure of a Willpower dot, which does not count as adding a Chamber to the Lair for the purposes of expanding the Lair but still fills an available Chamber slot.

Invade Dream (ooo or ooooo) By Deionscribe
    Prerequisites: Meditative Mind 4
    Effect: After performing a successful meditation, you can choose to sate your Hunger by Inflicting Nightmares. The three-dot version lets you target people at random within the radius of your Horror's hunting ground. The five-dot version, however, allows you to focus your Horror's predations on a character of your choice, provided they are within range and in a deep state of consciousness.

Drawback: You still run the risk of drawing the attention of Heroes on a dramatic failure or an exceptional success.

Marrow Feeder (o to ooooo) By mp122984
    Effect: You gnaw on your victim's shock, consuming every scrap of fear and anguish. When attempting to feed, reduce your effective current Satiety Level by your dots in this Merit for the purposes of determining whether you roll the Satiety potential as a dice pool.

Drawback: Gnawing the very bones takes energy and raises your Horror's expectations. When making a roll to feed, automatically convert a Failure to a Dramatic Failure.

Mother's Feast (••••) By Deionscribe
    Prerequisites: Beast
    Effect: As a Beast further explores his Kinship, he learns to convert the substance of his own energies into a form usable by his lesser cousins. This is done by expending a dot of Satiety while making skin-to-skin contact with the intended recipient. Each dot spent translates to points of supernatural energy (i.e: Essence, Glamour, Mana) equal to his Lair rating. The target must have the Family Ties Condition from the Beast to be elligible for Mother's Feast.

Mortals with Supernatural Merits also benefit from this, regaining Willpower through it. At Storyteller discretion, however, Mother's Feast may instead confer points in a different sort of energy, such as Ephemera for Psychic Vampires, glamour for Fae-Touched, and Essence for certain Wolf-Blooded.

HERO MERITS

Arête ( to •••••) By Arcanist
    Prerequisite: Hero
    Effect: A paragon amongst ordinary men and women, capable of pushing their abilities beyond the merely human. Choose a Skill when purchasing this Merit, and when using that Skill apply dots in this Merit as a bonus to the roll. This can take a Skill above their normal limitations.

Drawback: Not even Heroes are entirely immune to flaws of personality, and when a Skill is magnified, so are these potentially fatal flaws. When purchasing this Merit, describe an Integrity Breaking Point that relates to the Hero’s Legend and the Skill chosen. Every dot in this Merit levies a -1 penalty to the Breaking Point roll.

Dragon Slayer ( to •••••, Style) By Arcanist and Deionscribe
    Effect: No matter where they are, no matter who they are, Heroes are the bane of a Beast's existence. Their Gifts can quickly overwhelm even the most resilient of Broods, provided they have enough experience (and a little bit of luck) to weaken them right away. Over the course of their Quests, however, some Heroes become particularly skilled in hunting the Children of the Dark Mother. Most Beasts who come across such individuals seldom walk away alive, much less unscathed.

() - Relentless Pursuit: The greatest Heroes were able to pursue even the most elusive of Beasts to the furthest edges of the world. No matter where the Children ran, they seldom stayed hidden for long . The Hero adds his dots in Dragon Slayer to all Heroic Tracking/Stalking Rolls

(••) - Hunter's Fortitude: Once the Hero has laid eyes upon his quarry, he becomes more driven to slay it before it can harm innocents. All rolls made against Beasts the Hero has successfully Tracked or Stalked are Exceptional at three successes

(•••) - Weapon Master: Sometimes, it takes more than one legendary weapon to lay low a Beast. And the seasoned Hero who realizes this truth soon has a potent arsenal at his disposal. He may now possess a number of Chosen Blades up to his dots in this Merit. He must still fulfill the usual prerequisites for each additional purchase of the Gift.

(••••) - Fatal Flaw: After having acquired much experience in slaying the Begotten, the Hero's knack for 'finding' their weaknesses is honed into a fine edge. He may roll Wits + Occult in a Clash of Wills against a Beast with Low or High Satiety. On a success, he may force an Anathema upon him.

(•••••) - Heroic Valor: The greatest Heroes are the stuff of nightmares for lesser Beasts, and have the potential to fight on equal footing against a Beast Incarnate. Attacks against Beasts now gain the rote action quality. If he receives the rote quality from other sources, he benefits instead from the Steadfast Condition.

Note: The Dragon Slayer Merit was taken from a scrapped Hurt Locker concept.

Hallowed Blade (ooo) By Deionscribe
    Prerequisites: Chosen Blade
    Effect: The Hero has become well-versed in his weapon that it has been further imbued by their connection. A Hallowed Blade increases its damage bonus by 2 instead of 1, removes all Initiative penalties, and benefits from the 9-again quality. If it receives 9-again from another source, it gains 8-again instead. If the Hero possesses multiple Chosen Blades, he may purchase this Merit for each additional weapon.

Heroic Resolve ( to •••••) By Arcanist
    Effect: The great Heroes of myth and legend are not easily susceptible to the powers of their opponents, able to shrug off the crippling terror that can paralyze mere mortals with relative ease. Apply dots in this Merit as an effective Supernatural Potency Trait for the purposes of resisting various supernatural powers. At Storyteller discretion, this can act as a bonus to certain Supernatural Merits or Heroic Gifts
    Last edited by Deionscribe; 03-04-2017, 05:48 AM.

• GibberingEloquence
    replied
    Sorcerer's Insight (• To •••••)
    Prerequisite: Mimir's Wisdom, Needs Must, Family Ties With A Mage, Wits •••, Occult ••
    Effect: When the Beast needs to roll for a Clash Of Wills using Needs Must, he gains bonus dice equal to the rating in this Merit. If the Clash Of Wills is successful, he may spend 1 Willpower point as a reflexive action to ask a number of yes or no questions about the target equal to rating in this Merit. The ST must answer truthfully. If the Clash Of Wills received an Exceptional Success, the Beast does not need to spend Willpower.

Advanced Sorcerer's Insight (•••)
    Prerequisite: Sorcerer's Insight, Wits ••••, Occult ••
    Effect: The basic version of the Merit now achieves Exceptional Success with 3 Successes.

Slip Through The Shackles Of Fate (• To •••••)
    Prerequisite: Family Ties With An Acanthus, Mummy Or Changeling, Wits •••, Occult ••
    Effect: Any supernatural attempt at foreseeing or altering the Beast's future, as well as force him into any sort of contract, bargain or oath, trigger a Clash Of Wills with bonus dice equal to rating in this Merit. The Beast always knows when this Merit is being activated and has a general idea of the source's direction and distance. If the Clash Of Wills received an Exceptional Success, he also knows the precise location and exactly what the originator of the supernatural ability wanted to do to him. This may add +2 to Satiety Potential if the Beast uses this knowledge to Feed on the originator, but the Beast must do it within the scene.

Advanced Slip Through The Shackles Of Fate (•••)
    Prerequisite: Slip Through The Shackles Of Fate, Wits ••••, Occult ••
    Effect:
    The basic version of the Merit now achieves Exceptional Success with 3 Successes.

Skin-Changer (• To •••••)
    Prerequisite: Family Ties With Any Supernatural Who Can Transform Into Animals, Lord Of Animals, Stamina •••, Animal Ken ••
    Effect: The Beast can use Lord Of Animals to become his favored creatures himself. Any supernatural attempt at revealing or reverting him to his baseline self triggers a Clash Of Wills, with bonus dice equal to rating in this Merit. The Beast may skin a favored creature to bestow this Merit upon another, who use their own dice pool for the Clash Of Wills but still gain bonus dice equal to the rating of the Merit. If the target has no dice pool for a Clash Of Wills, he rolls Stamina + Animal Ken + rating in this Merit.

Each such skin can only be used once and lasts for the scene, but the character may revert to his baseline self earlier by spending 1 Willpower point as an Instant Action. The transformation is frequently a Breaking Point for mortals. Regardless of the creature that the character becomes, he uses his own Size to for the purposes of calculating Health and suffering Tilts like Stunned. However, while wearing the skin, the character gains the benefits on relevant rolls for the form he is assuming, as listed under Lord Of Animals. The Beast may even "skin" creatures such as arthropods by finding a bunch of them and preparing an ointment with their innards.

Advanced Skin-Changer (•••)
    Prerequisite: Skin-Changer, Stamina ••••, Animal Ken ••
    Effect:
    The skin fuses with the character's form once worn, but outwardly he looks the same. He may freely shift between the creature and baseline forms as a reflexive action. The Beast must spend 1 Satiety when preparing the skin, and it fuses with the target for a number of days equal to the Beast's Lair x 2.

Eshmaki Birthright: Once per scene, the Beast can reflexively vanish and reappear within the immediate vicinity of the nearest individual who is suffering from a Condition that represents fear, such as Spooked, Shaken or Frightened. The target must roll Wits + Composure - Lair or lose Defense. However, the Beast does not know where he will manifest in advance, and characters with supernatural means of detecting ambushes may trigger a Clash Of Wills.
    Last edited by GibberingEloquence; 06-07-2019, 11:45 PM.

Leave a comment:

• GibberingEloquence
    replied
    For those of you who dislike the fact that only Incarnates can turn others into stone.

Namtaru Birthright: Once per scene, the Beast may spend 1 Satiety as a Reflexive Action to petrify all characters within his immediate presence who fail a Wits + Composure - Lair roll. This lasts for the scene, and the resulting statues are indestructible. Not even an Anakim with Titanic Blow can damage them, for example. Victims remain fully conscious, are aware of their surroundings and may be moved. Those who are within range instinctively know that they can avoid being petrified by closing their eyes. During this, they suffer the Blinded Tilt on both eyes and the Beast may take advantage of that fact. For groups of unimportant characters, make one roll instead of rolling separately for each one.

Leave a comment:

• ArcaneArts
    replied
    Originally posted by Wormwood View Post

Maybe the term was house rule?
    They cannot be Ghouled as such - they get addicted and the intense attraction/emotional bond, but not the 'supernatural benefits' like access to Disciplines.
    Either one is fine.

It just.

I don't get this decision in the context of the conversation.

Leave a comment:

• Wormwood
    replied
    Originally posted by ArcaneArts View Post
    It's a home rule that Beasts can't be ghouled?

Maybe the term was house rule?
    They cannot be Ghouled as such - they get addicted and the intense attraction/emotional bond, but not the 'supernatural benefits' like access to Disciplines.

Leave a comment:

• ArcaneArts
    replied
    Originally posted by Wormwood View Post

Ah, I think that was a homerule. Should've mentioned that.
    It's a home rule that Beasts can't be ghouled?

Leave a comment:

• Wormwood
    replied
    Minor problem with that-nothing says that a Beast can't be ghouled.
    Ah, I think that was a homerule. Should've mentioned that.

Leave a comment:

• ArchonAres
    replied
    Originally posted by Master Aquatosic View Post

It's still splat mixing. I'm pretty sure it even implies they can get disciplines like a ghoul. Just adding unique features and mixing and matching powers instead of just Making a Beast + Ghoul. Now it's a .... huh, I can't really think of any mathematical functions that work to metaphorically explain how this is different.
    It provides a cost and a benefit, both mechanically, and in roleplay. This gives some semblance of balance.

And I'm quite aware it's personal preference. That's why I noted it worked for me. To get the benefits of a minor template, I like there to be a cost. This merit provides an acceptable cost for a benefit. And you won't see stacking major splats at all in my games.

Don't get me wrong, I love to mix it up, but mixing splats is kinda like playing gestalt- some people like it, others don't. I'm just in the latter category.

Leave a comment:

• ArcaneArts
    replied
    Splat stacking being in bad taste is a matter of person. But just as nothing stops you from being a wolf-blooded mage or a demon-blooded Sin-Eater, nothing stops you from being a ghouled Beast.

(there are some stacking that beg a question in terms of canon interactions, but too much more dives into a different conversation)

Leave a comment:

• Master Aquatosic
    replied
    Originally posted by ArchonAres View Post

I've always felt splat stacking was in bad taste myself, so this merit works for me.
    It's still splat mixing. I'm pretty sure it even implies they can get disciplines like a ghoul. Just adding unique features and mixing and matching powers instead of just Making a Beast + Ghoul. Now it's a .... huh, I can't really think of any mathematical functions that work to metaphorically explain how this is different.

Leave a comment:

• ArchonAres
    replied
    I've always felt splat stacking was in bad taste myself, so this merit works for me.

Leave a comment:

• Master Aquatosic
    replied

Makes the merit seem even better to me. The only mention of the process requiring unusual circumstances is in the fluff. The mechanics seem great to me.

Leave a comment:

• ArcaneArts
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Wormwood
    replied
    Not a merit, but a condition concept I'm playing around with and didn't know where else to post:

Ghouled
    Kindred Vitae is powerful and has many applications, but other than making them addicted, it usually has no effect on Begotten. Humans, however, can benefit vastly, to the point of acquiring vampiric Disciplines.
    It is possible for Begotten to enjoy these benefits (with the accompanying drawbacks), too. Properly preperated, Kindred Vitae can be used to give or force upon a Begotten access to the mortal state of Ghouldom.
    This requires a stronger physical presence, however, leaving their link to their ephemeral Horror disjointed.
    Mechanically, the Beast loses their Atavisms and gains the minor-Template of a Ghoul. The Horror loses Satiety as if it were one tier higher (Someone with Lair 1-3 would lose Satiety at the rate of someone at Lair 4-6) and Feeding starts with a modifier of -1. The ghouled Begotten may pay Vitae instead of Satiety to fuel their Nightmares. The Horror acts as a seperate Ephemeral Entity for the time, and tries to provide for itself.

This will invariably lead to Inversion or Divergence, as the Horror will grow increasingly antagonistic, so the Begotten may have additional incentive to end this state (or follow through, if they so wish). Choosing Vitae over Satiety leads to a Lair roll. Upon success, they lose a Satiety.

Beats: When the Horror causes lasting trouble to the Begotten (e.g. by attacking their close ones)
    Condition ends when the Vitae-providing vampire is destroyed, or one month after the last dose of Vitae, or when the Begotten confronts their Horror (followed up by Inheritance).

Leave a comment:

• Wormwood
    replied
    Know no Fear oo or ooo

Either through instinct, training or experience, this Hero knows how to fight Beasts while avoiding to fall prey to their Nightmare abilities. By taking a -2 to fighting actions, they manage to reflexively avoid eye contact, while being still able to predict attacks and strike on their own. Beasts who are not aware of this, e.g. because the Hero wears sunglasses inside like a douche, will simply waste their time and energy while the Hero has the suprise advantage. With three dots, there is no penalty to fighting actions.
    There are rumours of a scattering of Hunters learning this, too, though the skill is much rarer among them.

Drawback: This instinct cannot be turned off - their behaviour comes off as strange to others, which is why they often develop a cover story for why they do not hold eye contact. All social actions are penalized by -2 (-1 with a good enough cover story).

Leave a comment:

Working...
X