Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beast Player's Guide: Suggestions? Requests?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beast Player's Guide: Suggestions? Requests?

Hey, folks. I'm working on the outline for the Beast Player's Guide right now (it keeps getting pushed to the back burner because of Changeling 20th, but it's still...cooking, I guess). Obviously I'm looking at including the things you'll expect to find; new powers, approaches to play, expanded discussions on Families and Hungers and so forth. I'm interested in what you folks want to see in a Player's Guide. What would be useful for playing Beast?

Matthew McFarland
    Writer, developer, etc.
    Undead for Chill 3rd Ed now on Kickstarter!

A list of mythological monsters and possible Families would be nice, along with some more Legends and Lives. Some more example hunger preferences might be useful.

Is it presumptuous of me to ask for alternating male/female pronouns?

Comment

A beast form hack.
      Some more Lair traits/ideas for making more - and for that matter, and expanded discussion on Lairs.

Comment

Expanded rules for Lairs, please?

Comment

A new Beast family embodying the fear of clowns.

More Kinship powers and crossover support.

Comment

Some more Nightmares and Kinship Nightmares would be nice.

Comment

Discussion of Beast kinship with non-player monsters/weirder stuff would be cool. More Advanced and Epic Merits. More Lair stuff is nice.

Comment

Some official rules for dealing with ephemeral beings would be handy. Perhaps an optional rule that allows Beasts to perceive ephemeral creatures with whom they share Kinship? (if you have Kinship with a spirit, you can see spirits, if with a ghost, ghosts and so on)

Comment

I'm thinking of a thing I'm calling Dominions for now. Basically, it's an additional incentive feeding your Hunger rather than using Family Dinner, powers in relation to the things or people you enact your Hunger on. So maybe a Tyrant has the power to summon people or a Ravager can call up the history of a place he destroyed, stuff like that.

Alternative Birthrights are cool, as would be other tools to help bring the individual nightmare aspect around to the forefront-give people a way to emphasize Family over Hunger in a way, perhaps. Nothing specific in mind for this one

Clearly a discussion section on what's going on with the Kinship powers, and expanding them ala Rites of Spring would be pretty cool-maybe small boonss that come when you slap Family Ties on someone, perhaps in relation to who they are. Same with Lair, and maybe finding a way to tie in a related Minions/Servants thing to it. Also, Cults-I am now a sucker for everyone having cults. Worship the dragon, a god is just a monster you bow to.

An Incentive system for additional Beast behavior probably wouldn't be missed-I hesitate to bring up Changeling's Talecrafting, because that's not what I want, but something in that vaugeish ballpark feels like it has merit.

More discussion on the Inheritances, their use in play, and the tragedy that they inherently are. Maybe one or two sideways changes(maybe 'retrograde' inheritances, where one becomes a vampire or a True Fae in the ways not yet implied by the Unfettered or the Rampant). As you might imagine, I have a soft spot for this one.

COMMUNION WITH THE DARK MOTHER, oh my god, I can't believe it took me so long to think of it-but my default assumption was that the Dark Mother had no presence in the game until I read Tales of the Dark Mother, and now I want some kind of Once a Story Communion thing. Maybe tie that into the not-talecrafting idea? Whatever, more on this and the Dark Mother in game as Beasts can use it. Although, again, maybe this isn't a player's guide thing.

Screwing around with Cosmology, maybe hands dripping with red style, give Beasts a sort of way to break boundaries down and create Places That Should Not Be.

I want Beasts to continue to cement their place as both the great Uniter of monsters and the great Upsetter of settings. Beasts as a crossover element have a great way or breaking all the rules you know about the Chronicles of Darkness, and finding ways to do that within their own themes is one of the many great joys and challenges of this game.

Sean K.I.W. Steele, Freelance Writer
                  Work Blog Coming Soon
                  The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey

Comment

A look at how Beasts tend to develop their Legends over time and balance Kinship with the demands of Hunger would be nice to see.

Resident Sanguinary Analyst
                    Currently Consuming: Changeling: the Lost 1e

Comment

Originally posted by espritdecalmar View Post
                      Discussion of Beast kinship with non-player monsters/weirder stuff would be cool.
                      Definitely this.

Also, I believe some material needs to be devoted to Beast "ecology" - as in, what effect they have on their surroundings and vice versa. How the way they pursue their Hungers affects behavior of the local Mortals. Whether Beasts cause things to improve, deteriorate or do they provoke a torches and pitchforks reaction from Mortals. What kind of Heroes they attract, depending on their actions. How the Chambers of their Lairs resonate in the Material world. How their Kinships affect the life of their Kin, and how they in turn affect their surroundings.

Since, among other things, Beast is about finding one's place in the world, it is important to know what this place is. It directly feeds into their growing Legends too. Though I admit, these things might very well be "Storyteller's Guide" material.

Originally posted by ArcaneArts View Post
                      COMMUNION WITH THE DARK MOTHER, oh my god, I can't believe it took me so long to think of it-but my default assumption was that the Dark Mother had no presence in the game until I read Tales of the Dark Mother, and now I want some kind of Once a Story Communion thing.
                      I'd be excited for more material on the Dark Mother due to her actively promoting character development among her Children. As opposed to many short-lived Beasts, she seems to have attained both self-acceptance and self-awareness. Also, we don't know what other plans She may have.

Find my Homebrew Fangs of Mara 2ed update Here

Comment

I agree with everything Arc just said. More Advanced and Epic Merits would be good, they're one of the more entertaining goodies to play around with. Additional Atavisms would be cool. It's hard to try and figure out what signature mythic monster abilities have been missed, because the core Atavisms and the Incarnate Inheritance cover a lot of them, but I'm sure there's still a few left.

Alternate Birthrights sound very cool, as does expanding the details on inhabitants of the Primordial Dream besides Horrors. Also, new things for Heroes, because there's a lot of potential to make some really cool, unique, and bizarre antagonists there.

My Homebrew Hub

Comment

It's not the right word for them, but something about lackeys and minions for Beasts. Heroes have them, but they're effectively cannon fodder. Beasts, on the other hand, lack the classic henchmen, people to do their bidding and further their Hungers--what giant doesn't have soldiers to bring Heroes before her throne? Beasts might have followers who get something out of the relationship (family and what not), as opposed to Heroic followers who are more just pawns. I'm not sure if that's a minor template or a merit, or if it's just guidelines on how Beasts access human resources, but it feels like a trope worth exploring.

Sam Young | Vampires ruin everything freelancer

VtR: Curses of Caine in Blood and SmokeTricks of the DamnedBtP: Secrets of VancouverCofD: The CabinActual Play: Vampire: The Requiem – Bloodlines
                          I podcast: The Breakup, a podcast about destroying the things you love

Comment

As Arc said, reasons to go for the traditional feeding rather than Family Dinner would be extremely appreciated. Be they through a new type of power, merits based around feeding yourself to gain more power, I'd be more than happy with it.

Glorious Useless-Post Prana
                            Cost: 2m; Mins: Linguistics 1, Essence 1 Type: Simple
                            Keywords: Mute
                            Duration: Instant
                            Prerequisite Charms: Ten-Characters Methodology

Comment

Originally posted by Yossarian View Post
                              It's not the right word for them, but something about lackeys and minions for Beasts. Heroes have them, but they're effectively cannon fodder. Beasts, on the other hand, lack the classic henchmen, people to do their bidding and further their Hungers--what giant doesn't have soldiers to bring Heroes before her throne? Beasts might have followers who get something out of the relationship (family and what not), as opposed to Heroic followers who are more just pawns. I'm not sure if that's a minor template or a merit, or if it's just guidelines on how Beasts access human resources, but it feels like a trope worth exploring.
                              Not that I disagree with you, but it's worth mentioning that Kinship is the original facilitator of this.

Still, there is a good opening for a bottom tier minion missing, and that's something the Lair can provide, I think.

EDIT: Keep in mind, folks, that this is the Player's Guide, not the Storyteller's Guide. Stuff like Heroes and Astral terrors to fight belong in the latter book, not the former.
                              Last edited by ArcaneArts; 03-16-2016, 03:59 PM.

Sean K.I.W. Steele, Freelance Writer
                              Work Blog Coming Soon
                              The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey

Comment

Working...
                              X