Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beast Player's Guide: Suggestions? Requests?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by AegonTargaryen View Post
    Now he merges with his Horror, a „towering giant“. His combat dice pool is reduced to 4 (Strength = Power) as Brawl does no longer apply.
    Nope. Using PFR Attributes doesn't mean you treat your character sheet as if it belonged to an ephemeral being.

His defense is only 3 (lower of Power/Finesse)
    See above; you don't lose your Skills.

and he has health 5 (Resolve 3 + 2 Lair).
    Extra no. Your Attribute maximum is the higher of 5 and Lair, not Lair.

Resident Sanguinary Analyst
    Currently Consuming: Changeling: the Lost 1e

Comment

• Originally posted by Satchel View Post
      Nope. Using PFR Attributes doesn't mean you treat your character sheet as if it belonged to an ephemeral being.

See above; you don't lose your Skills.

Extra no. Your Attribute maximum is the higher of 5 and Lair, not Lair.

To apply that to the example character:

Attacking with Brawl stays at 7 dice.

Defense Increases to 6 (Because Finesse is equal to the highest finesse attribute instead of Wits for a Beast)

And Health stays the same at 8.

That's assuming that no Social Attributes are higher than Physical or Mental and that none of the extra Horror points were spent on attributes and all on size.

Comment

• Ok, thanks for pointing that out. Only now do I realise that indeed only attributes are mentioned in the Dream Form / The Horror Itself section, and skills are not mentioned at all. I somehow assumed it was the same system as for ephimeral beings, who do not possess skills. And health is indeed resolve + trait max instead of simply lair. So you if you spend the four points to increase your strength, you get better combat dice for the horror. Also, you have an increased defense as pointed out above. On the other hand, you still cannot use Looming Presence to increase your health and still cannot use Nightmares if merged with your horror. But it makes much more sense now.

Comment

Ok, thanks for pointing that out. Only now do I realise that indeed only attributes are mentioned in the Dream Form / The Horror Itself section, and skills are not mentioned at all. I somehow assumed it was the same system as for ephimeral beings, who do not possess skills. And health is indeed resolve + trait max instead of simply lair. So you if you spend the four points to increase your strength, you get better combat dice for the horror. Also, you have an increased defense as pointed out above. On the other hand, you still cannot use Looming Presence to increase your health and still cannot use Nightmares if merged with your horror. But it makes much more sense now.
          While it could have been clearer, it says nothing about being unable to use Nightmares if merged with your Horror. In fact, the paragraph that talks about it implies the opposite:

Originally posted by The Horror Itself
          When a Beast enters her own Lair (or a Lair connected to it as a Brood Lair) via a Primordial Pathway, she immediately merges with her Horror. She likewise instantly separates if she uses a Pathway to leave. The Horror itself only leaves the Lair (barring Inheritance; see p. 234) when Starving or Ravenous, and no power can force it to do so in other circumstances. When merged with the Horror, the Beast cannot choose to use the low Satiety version of her Atavisms unless her Satiety rating is actually low.
          While they should have been more clear, this tells me that a merged Beast is capable of using all of the tools at its disposal, including Nightmares, as if it weren't merged.

"Nihhina kalekal-zidu kal masun, kal manudanadu. Nihhina kalekal-zidu nukal shaghu-desasudu — nihhina kalekal-zidu kal innu-desasudu udhkal samm." Arthur Ashe
          Check out my tumblr for Chronicles of Darkness-related musings
          He/him pronouns, please

Comment

• Originally posted by blackhatmatt View Post
            Hey, folks. I'm working on the outline for the Beast Player's Guide right now (it keeps getting pushed to the back burner because of Changeling 20th, but it's still...cooking, I guess). Obviously I'm looking at including the things you'll expect to find; new powers, approaches to play, expanded discussions on Families and Hungers and so forth. I'm interested in what you folks want to see in a Player's Guide. What would be useful for playing Beast?
            I think some more ativisms and nightmares would be cool. Maybe a base ability beasts can obtain by having kinship with other templates (like seeing ghosts in twilight with a sin-eater, spirits in twilight with a werewolf, able to benefit from goblin fruit from changelings )

Most importantly I think the primordial dream can be elaborated on, maybe uses beasts can have for it outside of their own lair, being able to navigate it. Talk more about chambers that aren't connected to lair maybe and possible things beasts can do with them. Maybe have it populated by goeta which beasts can see and interact with.

Lots of potential

Comment

• Originally posted by Wrequis View Post

I think some more ativisms and nightmares would be cool. Maybe a base ability beasts can obtain by having kinship with other templates (like seeing ghosts in twilight with a sin-eater, spirits in twilight with a werewolf, able to benefit from goblin fruit from changelings )

Most importantly I think the primordial dream can be elaborated on, maybe uses beasts can have for it outside of their own lair, being able to navigate it. Talk more about chambers that aren't connected to lair maybe and possible things beasts can do with them. Maybe have it populated by goeta which beasts can see and interact with.

Lots of potential
              Indeed. Though it would probably fit a Storytellers Guide more, it might be interesting to see what play in the Primordial Dream would be like. As in, the PD as a setting in itself, with a Brood investigating disused Chambers and other weirdness.

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
              Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

• some Roleplaying advise at various points of Satiety.

Comment

• How about nightmare ripples? When a beast traumatizes someone so much through a lesson that echos of the nightmare affect the whole area and make people heed the lesson?

Offense is rarely given, but often taken.

Comment

• Matt, is the outline done yet? Of so any chance of a preview?

Comment

• Originally posted by Arcanist View Post

Alright, so, I have/had no intention of offending you, and I have no intention of pursuing this debate since I have little to no technical knowledge as to the intricacies of how sociopathic tendencies and psychopathy actually relate. However, I would posit that the traits you point out that you don't possess are those possessed by the True Fae. In fact, they're the traits that more or less define the True Fae. Also, the narrative constraints are being a little undersold here, I think. An Actor is stuck as that single story, and no matter how it is reshaped, it remains a single story. Self-direction, rationality, and efficiency go out the window when you need to abide by Frailties and are incapable of changing anything but the presentation of your core identity.

That being said, from an objective stance, I can see how being a Changeling is desirable, and how it can be seen as a superior state to baseline humanity. The idea of a non-malicious Durance was discussed in the Changeling forums a while back, along with the social implications being one such lucky member of the Lost would have amongst others with a totally non-consensual stay in Faerie. That being said, I disagree that the True Fae are superior simply for raw power and immortality- barring things like Titles, I think it would be better to be a Wyrd 10 Changeling than a True Fae- at least you'd still have your free will. That being said, I'll leave the Changeling talk to the more well-informed, like Arc and Satchel.
                      This assumes one believes in free will.

I can see certain personalities finding becoming True Fae attractive, but most of those are not going to be pleasant people.

I see far more people wanting the power of True Fae titles, but without having to give up their soul to become True Fae.

I could see a Wyrd 10 Changeling putting themselves into an eternal dreaming state achiving something simular, basically treating their Dream Bastion like an Arcadian Realm.

Comment

• While this is more of a Storyteller's Guide thing, I'd love to see advice for a Beast chronicle that spends a lot of time in the Astral/Dream as an alternate structure.

Just call me Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

• Since we know we're getting Dark Mother cultists, what do you think we'll get on that front? Matt mentioned that he likes "playable examples", so we're probably getting some sample groups and mechanical tips. Hopefully a sidebar or a note about how Beasts and mortal DM cultists interact with the Circle of the Crone, too.

Comment

Ok, thanks for pointing that out. Only now do I realise that indeed only attributes are mentioned in the Dream Form / The Horror Itself section, and skills are not mentioned at all. I somehow assumed it was the same system as for ephimeral beings, who do not possess skills. And health is indeed resolve + trait max instead of simply lair. So you if you spend the four points to increase your strength, you get better combat dice for the horror. Also, you have an increased defense as pointed out above. On the other hand, you still cannot use Looming Presence to increase your health and still cannot use Nightmares if merged with your horror. But it makes much more sense now.
                            I'd try to work in Looming Presence into granting those extra health levels for the Horror somehow. Just stack on the extra Size and health levels onto the track. It makes no sense for a supernatural power to just cease working when others of the same type still function.

Comment

• Haven't heard anything in a while. Anyone got any Information as to when the PG will be available on Drivethru?

Comment

• Originally posted by Wormwood View Post
                                Haven't heard anything in a while. Anyone got any Information as to when the PG will be available on Drivethru?
                                Entered layout last week, so... I'd expect sometime in November, maybe December.
                                Last edited by marin; 10-02-2017, 10:37 AM.

Scion 2E: What We Know - A wiki compiling info on second edition Scion.

Comment

Working...
                                X