Best Lair Traits ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Lair Traits ?

In your opinion what would be the most useful or interesting Lair Traits to have ?

I've found a combination of Exposed, Extreme Heat and Undergrowth to be an excellent combo as part of a desert Lair.

Is it presumptuous of me to ask for alternating male/female pronouns?

Comment

Mirage seems like it could be very fun, plus it could make the beast a hit at parties.

Comment

"Best" really kind of depends on the metric you're using. For the strongest best-defense-is-a-good-offense, the best traits are Burning and Toxic. Fire and Poison deal an incredible amount of damage, making it effectively impossible to destroy that chamber because the person attempting it will die before they've finished their first roll. Second best in this regard is Corrosive.

Razored is a pretty nasty trait on its own but it combines wickedly with other traits that affect movement. Cramped, Darkness, or Currents all serve to help force people into the spikes.

Disruption is extremely useful if your other traits could be avoided by gear. Brought a breathing mask to deal with the Suffocating or Noxious Gas Traits? Nope. Big Flashlight to drive back the Darkness? You wish.

Comment

Originally posted by HelmsDerp View Post
          "Best" really kind of depends on the metric you're using. For the strongest best-defense-is-a-good-offense, the best traits are Burning and Toxic. Fire and Poison deal an incredible amount of damage, making it effectively impossible to destroy that chamber because the person attempting it will die before they've finished their first roll. Second best in this regard is Corrosive.

Razored is a pretty nasty trait on its own but it combines wickedly with other traits that affect movement. Cramped, Darkness, or Currents all serve to help force people into the spikes.

Disruption is extremely useful if your other traits could be avoided by gear. Brought a breathing mask to deal with the Suffocating or Noxious Gas Traits? Nope. Big Flashlight to drive back the Darkness? You wish.
          These are all rather good ideas, although I'm a bit concerned a wise Beast should be cautious to load its Lair with too many especially lethal Traits, or alternatively really go the extra mile to ensure it never ever reaches Satiety 10 (although a Beast with such a Lair seems better suited for the Low-Satiety lifestyle) and falls into the Slumbering Condition. A super-lethal Lair seems rather cool and useful to trap and eliminate invading Heroes and call down nasty Traits in the material world it's immune to. It's not so fun if the Beast has to penetrate its own Lair to wake an hibernating Horror without the help of its supernatural powers and immunities.

Comment

Originally posted by Irioth View Post

These are all rather good ideas, although I'm a bit concerned a wise Beast should be cautious to load its Lair with too many especially lethal Traits, or alternatively really go the extra mile to ensure it never ever reaches Satiety 10 (although a Beast with such a Lair seems better suited for the Low-Satiety lifestyle) and falls into the Slumbering Condition. A super-lethal Lair seems rather cool and useful to trap and eliminate invading Heroes and call down nasty Traits in the material world it's immune to. It's not so fun if the Beast has to penetrate its own Lair to wake an hibernating Horror without the help of its supernatural powers and immunities.
            "Why do we even have that lever?!"

Comment

Excellent point.

Comment

Super lethal Lairs are a lot less likely to backfire if you're part of a Brood or have supernatural kin that are immune/highly resistant to your chosen Traits. My Dragon Beast might become susceptible to his own fire, but his allies in the Summer Court don't stop having Cloak of the Elements: Fire.

This also raises a tangential question: One of the ways to wake up your horror is by taking full lethal damage. Normally this causes you to bleed out and die, so it's not a great choice, but Looming Presence gives you additional health levels reflexively, and Relentless Hunter allows you to heal, so would a character with either/both of those be able to wake up their horror and get back on their feet?

Comment

Super lethal Lairs are a lot less likely to backfire if you're part of a Brood or have supernatural kin that are immune/highly resistant to your chosen Traits. My Dragon Beast might become susceptible to his own fire, but his allies in the Summer Court don't stop having Cloak of the Elements: Fire.
                  Good point about a Brood, although the supernatural kin in question must have the ability to share its own resistance/immunity with the Beast character, since IIRC there is no Kinship ability that allows to borrow the abilities of other supernaturals.

This also raises a tangential question: One of the ways to wake up your horror is by taking full lethal damage. Normally this causes you to bleed out and die, so it's not a great choice, but Looming Presence gives you additional health levels reflexively, and Relentless Hunter allows you to heal, so would a character with either/both of those be able to wake up their horror and get back on their feet?
                  Not a winning strategy since the Slumbering condition blocks access to all your Atavisms, Nightmares, Beast-specific Traits, and Birthrights. As you said, it might help if a member of your Brood extends an appropriate environmental immunity to you. Otherwise, to collapse a Chamber seems the only safe Horror-waking way if you have a super-lethal Lair, and it's obviously a serious sacrifice. At the least,you'd have to trip back to the physical location that shaped your former Chamber to re-create it.

Comment

Good point about a Brood, although the supernatural kin in question must have the ability to share its own resistance/immunity with the Beast character, since IIRC there is no Kinship ability that allows to borrow the abilities of other supernaturals.
                    You don't need to wake the Horror yourself to resolve Slumbering.

Resident Sanguinary Analyst
                    Currently Consuming: Changeling: the Lost 1e

Comment

I know Slumbering blocks Atavisms, what I'm saying is: Taking full lethal snaps the Horror awake and resolves Slumbering, meaning you have access to your Atavisms again. For most Atavisms this doesn't do you much good because you're now unconscious and immobile, upgrading one lethal to Agg per minute. BUT, Looming Presence gives you extra health boxes, and it can be activated reflexively. So depending on how you read that rule, my Stamina 3 Lair 3 character might have 8 lethal but suddenly upgrade to 11 health. He's no longer at full lethal because he has more health.

Similarly, Relentless Hunter allows you to heal incredible amounts of damage with a Satiety, and even its base effect should be enough to stabilize a dying character.

Or heck, if you're in the Lair, you automatically merge with the Horror unless it's Slumbering, and again taking full Lethal ends that condition. If the Horror has more health, and at higher Lair it probably will, you can Merge and burn some of your remaining Satiety to heal.

Comment

I know Slumbering blocks Atavisms, what I'm saying is: Taking full lethal snaps the Horror awake and resolves Slumbering, meaning you have access to your Atavisms again. For most Atavisms this doesn't do you much good because you're now unconscious and immobile, upgrading one lethal to Agg per minute. BUT, Looming Presence gives you extra health boxes, and it can be activated reflexively. So depending on how you read that rule, my Stamina 3 Lair 3 character might have 8 lethal but suddenly upgrade to 11 health. He's no longer at full lethal because he has more health.

Similarly, Relentless Hunter allows you to heal incredible amounts of damage with a Satiety, and even its base effect should be enough to stabilize a dying character.

Or heck, if you're in the Lair, you automatically merge with the Horror unless it's Slumbering, and again taking full Lethal ends that condition. If the Horror has more health, and at higher Lair it probably will, you can Merge and burn some of your remaining Satiety to heal.
                        Ohh, I see.Yes, this may indeed work, and make ending the Slumbering condition with a highly-lethal Lair considerably less dangerous (although by no means pleasant) than I previously thought.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchel View Post
                          You don't need to wake the Horror yourself to resolve Slumbering.
                          Another good point. A Brood-mate may indeed do the task for you, and share immunity to your Lair's lethal Traits even if you cannot currently access it safely yourself.

Comment

I designed a lair based around a highschool gym/locker room Went with maze expanse and sealed exits It seemed a more thematic angle for me I guess

Comment

Originally posted by CameraObscura83 View Post
                              I designed a lair based around a highschool gym/locker room Went with maze expanse and sealed exits It seemed a more thematic angle for me I guess
                              This reminds me of Ruby in the video game The Path.

Hayley Margules, historian and Onyx Path writer
                              Chronicles of Darkness: Dark Eras and Companion, Beast: The Primordial Ready-Made Characters, and Dark Ages: Tome of Secrets

Comment

Working...
                              X