Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ask a simple question, get a simple answer - Beast edition.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Nyrufa View Post
    This has probably been answered in the book itself, but I haven't been able to locate it specifically: How do Major Lair traits work? Some of them appear to be new features, while others are just enhanced versions of Minor traits. Do you acquire them as upgrades to lesser traits, or do they cost more to purchase later on?

I'm curious, because I'm not really sure what's keeping a Beast from loading themselves up with a bunch of Major traits early on, and coming across as being somewhat overpowered.
    you can get either minor or Major Lair Traits (and you can only have very few of them, depending on your Lair ranking) , the difference is the gap in power for one and also the difficulty in invoking them. E.g. getting Burning with the highest amount of damage (really Hot and big flames) would make it really hard to use that tilt to call down Darkness. Absolute darkness likewise is something rarely encountered, Thus it Would Be hard to use that to use the burning tilt.
    Generally, one tilt needs to be present so you can call down one of your other tilts. Minor traits are relative common, so make it easier to use the Major ones.
    You need to have at least one minor Lair trait.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wormwood View Post

you can get either minor or Major Lair Traits (and you can only have very few of them, depending on your Lair ranking) , the difference is the gap in power for one and also the difficulty in invoking them. E.g. getting Burning with the highest amount of damage (really Hot and big flames) would make it really hard to use that tilt to call down Darkness. Absolute darkness likewise is something rarely encountered, Thus it Would Be hard to use that to use the burning tilt.
      Generally, one tilt needs to be present so you can call down one of your other tilts. Minor traits are relative common, so make it easier to use the Major ones.
      You need to have at least one minor Lair trait.
      I see, thank you for clearing that up.

Comment

• How does the Forum feel about the Dream merits from Tooth and Nail, particularly Dream Avatar and Ephemeral Fetish merits? Personally, Dream Avatar strikes me as risky to include, but does create space for interesting character archetypes, while Ephemeral Fetish opens up lots of stories and is almost a perfect fit for most of the Collectors I've seen on the Character Idea thread.

Crunch isn't a hobby; it's a calling.

Comment

• The beasts can feed from nightmares?
          In other words, a beast can go to his lair and then walk around to find a victim? Or just the low-satiety horror can do this?
          Also, Atavism and Nightmares work in the physical plane, but they work in the same way in the dreams?
          And if a beast can walk thought the dreams, it can change things in a fred grugrer fashion or it's limited by it's powers and capacities?

Comment

• Originally posted by draxdeveloper View Post
            The beasts can feed from nightmares?
            In other words, a beast can go to his lair and then walk around to find a victim? Or just the low-satiety horror can do this?
            Also, Atavism and Nightmares work in the physical plane, but they work in the same way in the dreams?
            And if a beast can walk thought the dreams, it can change things in a fred grugrer fashion or it's limited by it's powers and capacities?
            Okay a Beast can feed on people who've ended up in the Lair. So if some group of muggers jumps an Anakim and he overlays his lair with the area and one slips into the lair proper then I'm saying they're fair game for feeding. There is no mechanical support for a Beast sending their Horror out to feed in the Primordial Dream aside from it doing so during the heavy starvation period.

Providing you aren't suffering the starving or ravenous tilts merging with your Horror allows you to use any level of an atavism, though you still have to pay satiety if you want to use the satiety level of an atavism. I'm not so sure on Nightmares, part of me thinks Nightmares aren't usable in the merged state, but I can't recall if I read that anywhere or not.

Now as far entering dreams goes. First just because it's been mentioned no altering anything in a dream/lair doesn't alter how it is in the real world even if your lair is of an active location. If you're talking like entering another person's dream of being at the mall and because you're a makara suddenly the sprinklers go off and flood the place, and when they try to escape you make the pipes rip out of the ground and restrain them. Honestly nothing I've read suggests that a Beast enters another person's dreams like that. The stuff I've read suggest more often that it's less infiltrating someone elses' dreams and more dragging them into a part of the Primordial Dream controlled by your Horror. So that would probably be more of an ST decision.

Comment

• Another one, players have to limit to the merits that is on the beast book? For instance, a beast can have aura reading?
              Also, you can use merits to increase skills or just experience?

Comment

Another one, players have to limit to the merits that is on the beast book? For instance, a beast can have aura reading?
                Also, you can use merits to increase skills or just experience?
                Alright generally speaking you'll always want to check with your ST when adding out of splat merits. This is partially a courtesy thing as it can get confusing if your Beast has nonsplat specific merits from a bunch of different lines. Or just in case the ST doesn't have the book the merit is from and so might have problems there.

A Beast can't have aura reading though. Aura Reading is listed as a supernatural merit in the CoD core and that points out that none of the merits in that subsection are possessable by a supernatural. It specifically says "If the character becomes a vampire, ghoul, mage, or any other supernatural the merit disappears." Then sanctity of merits kicks in and all, but yeah you'd need a lot more ST permission to get them to let your character have a merit they don't qualify for.

The last bit can you clarify what you mean? Merits usually say if they add anything to a skill and you don't really spend merits unless sanctity kicks in, so I'm not sure what you mean.

Comment

• Originally posted by nalak42 View Post
                  Alright generally speaking you'll always want to check with your ST when adding out of splat merits. This is partially a courtesy thing as it can get confusing if your Beast has nonsplat specific merits from a bunch of different lines. Or just in case the ST doesn't have the book the merit is from and so might have problems there.

A Beast can't have aura reading though. Aura Reading is listed as a supernatural merit in the CoD core and that points out that none of the merits in that subsection are possessable by a supernatural. It specifically says "If the character becomes a vampire, ghoul, mage, or any other supernatural the merit disappears." Then sanctity of merits kicks in and all, but yeah you'd need a lot more ST permission to get them to let your character have a merit they don't qualify for.

The last bit can you clarify what you mean? Merits usually say if they add anything to a skill and you don't really spend merits unless sanctity kicks in, so I'm not sure what you mean.
                  i can convert a merit point in xp?
                  And i am talking more about the core CoD book merits, like combat styles (it's seems that they really take almost all merits that make sense a beast have, but why they don't take the combat styles?)

Comment

i can convert a merit point in xp?
                    And i am talking more about the core CoD book merits, like combat styles (it's seems that they really take almost all merits that make sense a beast have, but why they don't take the combat styles?)

Page 43 of the CoD book, dude. By default Sanctity of merits functions a you replace a lost merit at the end of the chapter with another merit. "Cashing in" as the book refers to it is something you do with Storyteller permission and of course when it makes sense. Afterall it's one thing if your character has secured a powerful ally and decides they no longer need their secondary safe house, not so much on deciding you no loner need to know how to speak Spanish.

As for the second bit, like I said generally you ask your ST as a courtesy. Stuff like the CoD book are rarely going to get ruled out unless the ST feels like it goes against the theme of the planned story. For example the story is the brood have been forced to go to ground hard and have had to flee your hometown, let's say Detroit if needed, so now you're all hiding out in Morocco because you all are at least at the basic conversational level in Arabic, but you don't know anyone, you have no allies, and it's supposed to be isolated and not sure who you can trust outside of the circle. Since isolation is meant to be a theme and point in the story your ST would be justified in saying you can't start out with a set of retainers.

This is because The CoD book is meant for the setting as a whole, so generally speaking it is meant to be a secondary source of merits, items, and information that would just clutter up a splat book to include all of it. But you'd want to check if you were going to grab Dark Triad social merit from the mage book then your ST might very well decide against letting you have it.

Comment

• Originally posted by nalak42 View Post

Page 43 of the CoD book, dude. By default Sanctity of merits functions a you replace a lost merit at the end of the chapter with another merit. "Cashing in" as the book refers to it is something you do with Storyteller permission and of course when it makes sense. Afterall it's one thing if your character has secured a powerful ally and decides they no longer need their secondary safe house, not so much on deciding you no loner need to know how to speak Spanish.

As for the second bit, like I said generally you ask your ST as a courtesy. Stuff like the CoD book are rarely going to get ruled out unless the ST feels like it goes against the theme of the planned story. For example the story is the brood have been forced to go to ground hard and have had to flee your hometown, let's say Detroit if needed, so now you're all hiding out in Morocco because you all are at least at the basic conversational level in Arabic, but you don't know anyone, you have no allies, and it's supposed to be isolated and not sure who you can trust outside of the circle. Since isolation is meant to be a theme and point in the story your ST would be justified in saying you can't start out with a set of retainers.

This is because The CoD book is meant for the setting as a whole, so generally speaking it is meant to be a secondary source of merits, items, and information that would just clutter up a splat book to include all of it. But you'd want to check if you were going to grab Dark Triad social merit from the mage book then your ST might very well decide against letting you have it.
                      Ok, ty.
                      But i am the ST, just get some guidings because i am new to CoD

Comment

• can astral beings (besides Beasts) manifest physically?

Comment

• Originally posted by Warpwind View Post
                          can astral beings (besides Beasts) manifest physically?
                          Goetia can't Manifest at all in normal circumstances and usually don't even leave the Astral without magical assistance.

Resident Sanguinary Analyst
                          Currently Consuming: Changeling: the Lost 1e

Comment

• They don't normally leave the Astral, but one of the mysteries presented in Mage 2E is goetia that do leave the astral and pop out in Los Angeles. Some even possess people despite goetia not normally having any kinds of Manifestations.
                            But usually all goetia stay in the astral where they belong.

Bloodline: The Stygians
                            Ordo Dracul Mystery: Coil of Smoke

Comment

• Can Beasts experience fear? Given that they are the embodiment and mankind's nightmares and feed upon their terror, I'm not sure if Beasts are psychologically capable of registering fear anymore.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nyrufa View Post
                                Can Beasts experience fear? Given that they are the embodiment and mankind's nightmares and feed upon their terror, I'm not sure if Beasts are psychologically capable of registering fear anymore.
                                Their abiding terror of the Dark Mother is one of the things the Begotten point to as evidence she's still out there.

Resident Sanguinary Analyst
                                Currently Consuming: Changeling: the Lost 1e

Comment

Working...
                                X