Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ask a simple question, get a simple answer - Beast edition.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Nyrufa View Post
    Can Beasts experience fear? Given that they are the embodiment and mankind's nightmares and feed upon their terror, I'm not sure if Beasts are psychologically capable of registering fear anymore.
    Sure a Beast can still feel fear. It's just not as easy to scare a Beast because of the aformentioned nightmare status.But stronger Beghotten, powerful supernaturals, potent Heroes, the Insatiable a lot of things can scare a Beghotten.

Comment

Can Beasts experience fear? Given that they are the embodiment and mankind's nightmares and feed upon their terror, I'm not sure if Beasts are psychologically capable of registering fear anymore.
      yep, i will make an adventure envolving beasts and their fears

Comment

• Originally posted by Satchel View Post

Goetia can't Manifest at all in normal circumstances and usually don't even leave the Astral without magical assistance.

not just Goetia.

Comment

They're still capable of fear, it's just that they don't have nightmares anymore. When they 'dream', they see through the Horror's eyes in their Lair or, if it's hungry, out in the Temenos, hunting down prey.

Is it presumptuous of me to ask for alternating male/female pronouns?

Comment

• Originally posted by Warpwind View Post

not just Goetia.
            Aside from beasts and goetia I only know of Morpheans, which are mages who have become goetia in an attempt to achieve immortality and/or more power. Since they have access to all the Arcana of the original mage they shoule be able to return to the material, but not necessarily have the right Arcana to gain any Manifestations (aside from being able to possess people with Mind 4).

Edit: Actually there are other beings in the Anima Mundi, but I don't think they leave their part of the Astral either. But if they do leave the Astral they could very well have Manifestations since the Aeons are Rank 8. But beings that powerful have other kinds of difficulties getting to the material.

Second edit: You might want to specify what other types of astral entities you're curious about.
            Last edited by Tessie; 03-14-2017, 09:24 AM.

Bloodline: The Stygians

Comment

• Originally posted by Warpwind View Post
              not just Goetia.
              "Goetia" means "Astral beings" in 2e.

Resident Sanguinary Analyst
              Currently Consuming: Changeling: the Lost 1e

Comment

• How is it that Null Snyper feeds if Insatiables have to not only kill, but physically devour their prey? Is she metaphorically devouring lives?

Also, do Insatiables have different Hungers, or do they all Hunger for Prey? And do they have Satiety?

A god is just a monster you kneel to. - ArcaneArts, Quoting "Fall of Gods"

Comment

• Originally posted by Master Aquatosic View Post
                  How is it that Null Snyper feeds if Insatiables have to not only kill, but physically devour their prey? Is she metaphorically devouring lives?

Also, do Insatiables have different Hungers, or do they all Hunger for Prey? And do they have Satiety?
                  Insatiables have a Satiety track, it can fill and they can spend it on things like increasing their powers, getting the satiety expenditure on atavisms they've stolen, and even creating temporary lair chambers to bolster their power in a pinch.Though even if they get the track filled they're still hungry and active.

It's pointed out that Null Snyper is kind of a weird case. First one of her problems is that she isn't physically devouring her prey and this is egging her on and she may eventually go out or try to drag someone in to feed the physical portion of the hunger. She is still gaining Satiety from the emotional feeds, but she's considered starved even by the standards of the Insatiable.
                  Second she is capable of doing a few things wirelessly that Insatiables are supposed to only be able to do in person, for example camera on phones, laptops, and tablets count as her eyes when she uses a power that requires making eye contact or something like that.

Yeah they have Hungers. It isn't explained as much as it was with the Beghotten, but they are there. The lovesick girl is a hoarder, the blind man is a ravager, the authority is a tyrant (who'd have guessed), Null snyper is a tyrant, and the clown is a predator.

Comment

• so, the lovesick girl has to eventually pull a "if I can't have you, no one can" to feed?

A god is just a monster you kneel to. - ArcaneArts, Quoting "Fall of Gods"

Comment

• Originally posted by Master Aquatosic View Post
                      so, the lovesick girl has to eventually pull a "if I can't have you, no one can" to feed?
                      The insatiable don't really seem to have the scaling aspect, or it could just be a side effect of the fact that they go all out in every feeding, or just that they're in the antagonist book so it doesn't describe the scaling of it.

Though her standard feeding method is pretty much make target fall for her then take devour everything about the person, so I'd say she operates past that point. I mean "If I can't have you no one can" implies losing the target and she's pretty much in the "Oh you love me that's nice" *rips heart out of chest and eats it.*

Comment

• Originally posted by nalak42 View Post
                        Sure a Beast can still feel fear. It's just not as easy to scare a Beast because of the aformentioned nightmare status.But stronger Beghotten, powerful supernaturals, potent Heroes, the Insatiable a lot of things can scare a Beghotten.

I like to imagine that a Beast that exhibits fear has the same connotations as someone drinking their own urine. You're excreting the very nutrients your body (Horror) feeds on.

---------------------------------------------

What happens to the Hive if the Apex / their Lair is destroyed? It would probably recover in the long term once a new Apex is crowned, but I mean in the immediate, short term effects of having one's influence severed from the collective?

Comment

• I have some doubts about the way Incarnates work. They can merge with their Horror at will, right? Does that mean they use the 3 Ephemeral Being Attributes boosted by Lair while in their true form? Can they assume their true form without calling forth their Lair?

Can they use Nightmares while merged with their Horror? Regular Beasts can't, but since Incarnates are the ultimate Beasts, it makes sense for them to be capable of that.

If they can open Primordial Pathways at will, could one of them use these Pathways as quick means of transportation through the world by using the Astral/Hedge/Shadow/Underworld as shortcuts?

"Fate is a cruel jester with a finely developed sense of irony." - Sir Night as portrayed by Leliel, The Horror Recognition Guide

Comment

• Originally posted by GibberingEloquence View Post
                            I have some doubts about the way Incarnates work. They can merge with their Horror at will, right? Does that mean they use the 3 Ephemeral Being Attributes boosted by Lair while in their true form? Can they assume their true form without calling forth their Lair?
                            Adopting the Beast-Shape is a distinct thing from regular merging.

Can they use Nightmares while merged with their Horror? Regular Beasts can't, but since Incarnates are the ultimate Beasts, it makes sense for them to be capable of that.
                            The Horror can't use Nightmares on its own. The Begotten normally suffer no such limitation unless they're Ravenous.

If they can open Primordial Pathways at will, could one of them use these Pathways as quick means of transportation through the world by using the Astral/Hedge/Shadow/Underworld as shortcuts?
                            They can enter the Primordial Dream from anywhere, which is a bit of a different matter — think of how archmages can always return to their Golden Road.

Extradimensional rapid transit is already a function of Primordial Pathways and one of the Incarnate storyhooks suggests they may not be as constrained by the contents of their Lair in navigating to other points in the cosmology — what Dave's mentioned seems to indicate we'll be getting a slightly better look at the Dream (along with the rest of the Astral) in the Player's Guide.

Comment

• Originally posted by Satchel View Post
                              Adopting the Beast-Shape is a distinct thing from regular merging.

The Horror can't use Nightmares on its own. The Begotten normally suffer no such limitation unless they're Ravenous.

They can enter the Primordial Dream from anywhere, which is a bit of a different matter — think of how archmages can always return to their Golden Road.

Extradimensional rapid transit is already a function of Primordial Pathways and one of the Incarnate storyhooks suggests they may not be as constrained by the contents of their Lair in navigating to other points in the cosmology — what Dave's mentioned seems to indicate we'll be getting a slightly better look at the Dream (along with the rest of the Astral) in the Player's Guide.
                              I'm still a bit confused. If an Incarnate wants to assume their true form, they have to open a Primordial Pathway connecting to their Lair, which they can do essentially at will, yes? Does that mean they can Adopt The Beast-Shape without opening a Primordial Pathway and thus calling forth their Lair?

Ah, gotcha. So when they are merged, the Beast can still use Nightmares?

It's good to know we might see more of the Primordial Dream. It always felt underused.

"Fate is a cruel jester with a finely developed sense of irony." - Sir Night as portrayed by Leliel, The Horror Recognition Guide

Comment

• Originally posted by GibberingEloquence View Post
                                I'm still a bit confused. If an Incarnate wants to assume their true form, they have to open a Primordial Pathway connecting to their Lair, which they can do essentially at will, yes? Does that mean they can Adopt The Beast-Shape without opening a Primordial Pathway and thus calling forth their Lair?
                                Adopting the Beast-Shape is a separate ability from the normal merging that occurs when they physically enter their Lair — the former does not require them to open a Pathway, while the latter does.

Comment

Working...
                                X