Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ask a simple question, get a simple answer - Beast edition.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In dream form do you loose your skills? That section could use some more clarification.

Comment

Why would you? Skills are mental things. They're stuff you know or know how to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Elfive View Post
        Why would you? Skills are mental things. They're stuff you know or know how to do.
        Probably because dream form kind-of uses ephemeral being rules, and they don't have skills.

Comment

Well, what they have instead is sort of thematic pseudo-skills based on what they're supposed to be good at.

So what you could do is give a large bonus to rolls for skills the "real" you has at high dots, and a smaller one for those at low dots or untrained.

Oh, wait. That's what skills do.

Comment

I thought you physically traveled via primordial pathways. The only times it mentions a dream form is when someone is pulled from a dream into your Lair. Also if you only go there as an Astra projection does that not make you far more vulnerable? You can't just run back to your lair to escape if that was the case.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.F.I.X. View Post
              Also if you only go there as an Astra projection does that not make you far more vulnerable? You can't just run back to your lair to escape if that was the case.
              Yeas you can. Why would being in material form make that any easier?

Anyway, this has been asked before. that's what the devs said.

Comment

Originally posted by Elfive View Post
                Yeas you can. Why would being in material form make that any easier?

Anyway, this has been asked before. that's what the devs said.
                The I guess my question is this: if you do not physically travel to your lair and are instead in a dream form what is the point of primordial pathways? It allows you to travel to other realms and places on earth but you need to go from place to lair to other place rather than just from a to b. By that you could only travel with a dream body to these places and not your real form as my reading of primordial pathways suggests.

Edit: dream form Pg 99, "At any given time, some visitors to a Beast’s Lair may be physically present or in a dream state, depending on exactly how they gained access...."
                Last edited by Mr.F.I.X.; 05-03-2016, 02:38 PM.

Comment

Ok, here's how it works. You're in the material. You are material. You want to go to the astral. You open a pathway into your lair and merge with your horror. Then you open another pathway to the astral and un-merge, but since you're in the astral now you're in dream form and use dream stats. If you then want to go somewhere else, say, the hedge, you go back to your lair, re-merge, open another pathway, un-merge and now you're in the hedge. You're material again because you're not in the astral.

Comment

I realize the reason of our disagreement was in part because I was wrong and because I didn't clarify what aspect I was focusing on.

I missed that blurb about a beast fusing with their horror on entering their lair, I concede you were right there. I must have missed the blurb because I was skimming. I miss interpretated what you saying that the beast would remain physically where they entered the lair.

The part I was meaning to focus on but not clear enough in comunicating was how not all being brought into the lair would use dream like stats. Like a vampire brought with a beast via primordial pathways would indeed be physical, hence the section I quoted.

Thank you however for pointing out where I was wrong.

Comment

How come Iron Skin is cheaper in the Beast Corebook than in the Chronicles of Darkness Corebook? Is it a discount for Beasts so as to balance it accordingly with the other stuff they can get?

Comment

More likely it's an error.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
                        The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
                        Male/neutral pronouns accepted, female pronouns enjoyed.

Comment

Can a beast recognize minor templates? I'm specifically thinking about wolf blooded. Maybe its like with Mages and psychics, where its easier to tell if they've used their powers in the scene. That being said, some of the tells are always on.

Comment

Dont have the page ref at the moment but quote from the book in the section on Family Resemblance:

Individuals who are fundamentally human but still wield supernatural power are harder to detect. If the individual has not used any supernatural abilities in the same scene as the Beast encountered him, subtract his Integrity rating from the roll as well as Composure.

I don't know the wolfblooded tells well, but if they are always on, id say they count as having been used.

(he/him/his)

Backer #2010

Comment

Hi!

I don't know if this has been answered before, but I'm not sure what to do when creating my Beast character and the book tells me to select Kinship. Doesn't all Kinship power work on any supernatural creature? Do I have to choose? Why is there a blank space for Kinship in the character sheet? It seems like I'm missing something obvious here, but I'm still halfway through my first reading.

Comment

Originally posted by Zooroos View Post
                                Hi!

I don't know if this has been answered before, but I'm not sure what to do when creating my Beast character and the book tells me to select Kinship. Doesn't all Kinship power work on any supernatural creature? Do I have to choose? Why is there a blank space for Kinship in the character sheet? It seems like I'm missing something obvious here, but I'm still halfway through my first reading.
                                As far as I know, Kinship works on any supernatural creature (even psychics, thaumaturges etc). Before selecting Kinship though, you should have a setting ready with characters to choose from or choose one with little connection to the overarching workings of the setting, for example choosing a fairly generic fire spirit or something.

Comment

Working...
                                X