Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ask a simple question, get a simple answer - Beast edition.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by nalak42 View Post
    1) Inside the lair is where the traits come from in an overlay, so you can't really turn them off.
    You can explicity control what traits are present or not in any given Chamber at anytime in the lair.

Comment

• Originally posted by Urbenmyth View Post
      5- if I have the Engulfing trait, representing quicksand, I presumably can't be caught in quicksand. Am I also immune to being tied by vines, stuck in glue, being pinned down and other possible manifestations of the Engulfing trait, or just quicksand?
      Quick thing, I don't think engulfing is applied the way a lot of your examples are being used. Like pinned is not being engulfed, being tied up with vines is not engulfed, and being stuck in glue is a case by case. (Someone applying glue to the ground and it drying while you stand is not, hurling you into a vat is.) Anyway I lean towards yes on the immunity to a condition applying, but I wouldn't hold it against an ST who argued that you being immune to quicksand doesn't make you immune to countless tentacles just shooting out covering you and dragging you back into the maw.

Originally posted by Urbenmyth View Post

6- Do lair immunites protect me from the same traits in other beast's lairs? I can't tell if that should be a clash of wills or automatic.
      As long as the trait isn't a version yours can't protect against. E.g The burning trait lists levels and your lair is a less intense burn than the other beasts you won't be immune. So a Beast who's lair is in housefire is still going to have problems wandering around the chamber of another Beast who's got a chamber trait that describes as "Hey guys the car tires just evaporated and the bus is melting."

Originally posted by Urbenmyth View Post
      How much of a physical location is a lair? Like, if my lair is a town, could I map it out and say "oh, the general store is three doors down from the church", or is it some generic evershifting town?

(sorry for quite a few questions, I have been re-reading lair traits for running a game and was a little unsure)
      The Lair is a dreamspace. So how it maps out would be open to question based on different Beasts. Like let's say Silent Hill 2 were a Lair the major set piece locations being different chambers, and all that. In that case the different areas would map since those are different chambers. If we're just talking a chamber in the Lair that is a town then it may have landmarks, but I don't think they'll be the easily found, mapped, and locatable type. Of course you could also treat it as a rogue-like dungeon. It can eventually be mapped out this visit. Next visit that map will be useless.

(Though I'm also reserving the right, if they start mapping out town traits in a Lair, to pull the plug on any point where I think they're getting BS. One thing to be able to go, "I think the Cafe is a few blocks that way, we can use that to get out of the rain." Another entirely for someone to gain weapons by arguing that they just went into the local gun store and took them out of the display case.)

Comment

• Originally posted by BigDamnHero View Post

That happens in one of the stories in the fiction anthology. A Beast tries to tell his Hero that she created the weaknesses he was suffering from, and asked why he would live so close to the forest that could kill him.

She wouldn't believe him.
        I just read this last night...great story.

Comment

• how do beasts actually enter their lair ?

Comment

• Originally posted by Basic View Post
            how do beasts actually enter their lair ?
            They open a primordial pathway - basically they intersect a chamber of their lair with a spat of normal reality that in some way matches it. This has to be done in places with their lair traits matching in, though it works if you impose them yourself, and even easier if it's in the room the chamber is based on. The process is done the same way in reverse, from lair to normal reality.

Comment

• Originally posted by Taidragon View Post

They open a primordial pathway - basically they intersect a chamber of their lair with a spat of normal reality that in some way matches it. This has to be done in places with their lair traits matching in, though it works if you impose them yourself, and even easier if it's in the room the chamber is based on. The process is done the same way in reverse, from lair to normal reality.

So do they just touch a door way or can they just open it anyplace at any time?

Comment

This is covered within the book.

A Beast whose Horror dwells in a Dark and Flooded Lair with a Chamber based on the space underneath the old bridge on the outskirts of town can enter their Lair from underneath that bridge while it's Dark and/or Flooded, and can likewise do the same with the underside of any other bridge while it's Dark and/or Flooded with a little more difficulty.

Resident Sanguinary Analyst
                Currently Consuming: Changeling: the Lost 1e

Comment

No need for doorway, but the place has to resemble their Lai

A god is just a monster you kneel to. - ArcaneArts, Quoting "Fall of Gods"

Comment

As Satchel noted, it is covered in the book, but think of it more like the Beast is imposing their lair over reality. It's dark and wet under the bridge, but the Beast manages to succceed their roll, opens a primordial pathway, and suddenly things start changing. The bridge arches higher, and strange lichen forms along its edges. The waters become darker, deeper than they should, and rise along the riverbanks. Even the riderbanks change, becoming waterlogged mud intersperced with the gravel that was there originally.

It's not a complete transition, more a halfway point - the bridge isn't nearly as gothic as it is in your chamber, nor is the river nearly as wide. It's just as imposing, sure, but it's got mundane reality mingled in - your chamber doesn't have gravel in its mud, nor does the bridge have graffiti. It's just this bridge does, so the pathway will too.

The bridge's entire structure doesn't change of course; even if it becomes larger in perspective, it's just that: perspective...well, dream perspective anyways, since for that space of time, the underside of that bridge is, for all intents and purposes, part of your lair. The top of the bridge is the same hieght, even if its arch seems larger from below, and the river isn't actually flooding anywhere other than where the pathway is set. I'm not even entirely sure whether people could see that the bridge has changed if they were looking from down the river. It's all temporary, though. Notably, this also means a Beast becomes their Horror; within their Lair, even if it's imposed on reality via a primordial pathway, they become their Horror. They retain their mind, but their body changes.

At least, that's how I imagine it; other people may make it a more immediate transition.

Comment

• Can a Beast choose to not merge with their Horror when they invoke their Lair?

Comment

• Originally posted by Master Aquatosic View Post
                        Can a Beast choose to not merge with their Horror when they invoke their Lair?
                        As far as I know, not unless the Horror is Slumbering, in which case the Beast cannot merge.

Is it presumptuous of me to ask for alternating male/female pronouns?

Comment

• two more lair questions-

1. If I steal a chamber from another beast, does it keep its old lair traits or gain mine?

2. Can I alter lair traits mundanly? (for example, if I'm dragged into a Burning lair with a fire existinguisher, can I put the firey rookery of the Firebird out?)

Also, lastly

3. Insasiates don't have kinship powers or nightmares,right? I'm reading that correctly?

Comment

• Originally posted by Urbenmyth View Post
                            two more lair questions-

1. If I steal a chamber from another beast, does it keep its old lair traits or gain mine?

2. Can I alter lair traits mundanly? (for example, if I'm dragged into a Burning lair with a fire existinguisher, can I put the firey rookery of the Firebird out?)

Also, lastly

3. Insasiates don't have kinship powers or nightmares,right? I'm reading that correctly?
                            First the insatiables are the only things that can flat out steal chambers. Everyone else is stuck with creating a merged chamber or flat out destroying the other beast's chamber and putting in their own.

As far as mundane solutions to lair traits goes, I'd say it might work on it but it's not going to alter the trait. So basically your fire extinguisher can put out some flames, but unless the Beast decides to suppress the burning trait there will just somehow always be more fire to swarm back into areas you've previously put out.

Yeah Insatiables aren't really things Beasts can get powers off of.

Comment

• Kinship requires a real, trusting close relationship. Any alliance with an Insatiable lasts until they get Hungry enough.

Comment

• "A Beast attacking another Beast’s Lair may instead steal a Chamber for his own use. If he has not added a Chamber this story and has a free slot, he may pay 1 Satiety while the Chamber is collapsing to add it to his own Lair." Beast page 100. Unless that was retconned out?

(also thanks for answering my many qusetions everyone!)

Comment

Working...
                                X