Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ask a simple question, get a simple answer - Beast edition.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mofous From what I've seen there aren't any listed merits or powers to allow a Beghotten to feed by deliberately releasing their Horror upon the dreamscape.

SdeSpencer I didn't see anything that explicitly says that its impossible for a Beast to become kin with a Hero, but in my mind this would be an ST call that borders on a houserule. I mean the Hero in Conquering who was most amiable to Beasts pretty much had the rule of pass through and don't cause trouble and I won't kill you. So while I wouldn't say its explicitly against the RAW it feels less like a thing that would happen in a Chronicle on the player's side and very much like something that would be more of a story hook based on, "Wait why would a Hero go out of their way to save a Beast?"

Comment

• Originally posted by mofous View Post
      A simple, and potentially stupid, question. Can a beast enter a dream and deliberately feed on a victim in that dream. I know the Horror can do that when left at Starving for too long, but can a PC feed this way?
      Take control of your horror, have them travel through the local hive of the primordial dream. The horror can potentially then travel into the dream of someone, in which it can then attempt to terrify the individual in a manner appropriate for your hunger. Finding the dream of someone specific could be rather difficult though and there are no rules for it.

Genius templates (for Demon: the Descent)

Rakshasa: the Kingdom (Featuring the Extinction Chronicle) [WIP]

Comment

• Originally posted by nalak42 View Post
        SdeSpencer I didn't see anything that explicitly says that its impossible for a Beast to become kin with a Hero, but in my mind this would be an ST call that borders on a houserule. I mean the Hero in Conquering who was most amiable to Beasts pretty much had the rule of pass through and don't cause trouble and I won't kill you. So while I wouldn't say its explicitly against the RAW it feels less like a thing that would happen in a Chronicle on the player's side and very much like something that would be more of a story hook based on, "Wait why would a Hero go out of their way to save a Beast?"
        Thank you!

Comment

• I know you merge and take control of your Horror if you enter your lair, but if you physically travel to a chamber of the primordial dream do you also merge with your horror?

Genius templates (for Demon: the Descent)

Rakshasa: the Kingdom (Featuring the Extinction Chronicle) [WIP]

Comment

• Originally posted by milo v3 View Post
            I know you merge and take control of your Horror if you enter your lair, but if you physically travel to a chamber of the primordial dream do you also merge with your horror?
            Only if it's within or merged with your own Lair.

Resident Sanguinary Analyst
            Currently Consuming: Changeling: the Lost 1e

Comment

• Here's a question: does the Beast have to be the direct cause the fear in order to potentially gain Satiety from it? In other words, can a Beast feed by witnessing "natural" (or otherwise incidental) trauma?

All of the instances I could find of a Beast feeding would seem to suggest the affirmative, but I don't see anywhere that it is explicitly specified that the Beast must be the instigator to feed from someone. The obvious exception is Family Dinner, in which they don't even have to directly participate, but that seems to operate on different metaphysical rules than normal feeding.

The character concept I had in mind was storm-chaser with a Hunger for Ruin, who would hypothetically feed primarily off the despair and destruction felt by the storms he chases, which he doesn't (necessarily) have any hand in causing.

I have to disappear for a while. Read this fanfiction while I'm gone.

The longer I study science the more I am convinced that it is functionally indistinguishable from what our ancestors would refer to as sorcery. And I would know, being both scientist and sorcerer.

Comment

• Considering there's a sample character that gains satiety by unleashing her social media followers into doxxing folk to feed from that, signs point to no.

Comment

• She's an Insatiable though, so the normal rules may not apply.

"Nihhina kalekal-zidu kal masun, kal manudanadu. Nihhina kalekal-zidu nukal shaghu-desasudu — nihhina kalekal-zidu kal innu-desasudu udhkal samm." Arthur Ashe
                  Check out my tumblr for Chronicles of Darkness-related musings
                  He/him pronouns, please

Comment

• Originally posted by Malus View Post
                    Considering there's a sample character that gains satiety by unleashing her social media followers into doxxing folk to feed from that, signs point to no.
                    I believe that she has to see a video or live feed of the victim killing themselves to feed, though.

A god is just a monster you kneel to. - ArcaneArts, Quoting "Fall of Gods"

Comment

• Originally posted by Scriptorian View Post
                      Here's a question: does the Beast have to be the direct cause the fear in order to potentially gain Satiety from it? In other words, can a Beast feed by witnessing "natural" (or otherwise incidental) trauma?
                      I actually have an idea for a hack that deals with that very idea. I won't go too far into that, here, but I will say that it should be a very intense source of fear if you're going to allow the character to feed from it. For example, if your character creates a storm that destroys someone's home, you should be able to feed from it. If the same storm is naturally occurring, it should require devastation on at least a neighborhood level, if not citywide.

Jason Ross Inczauskis
                      Freelance Writer
                      Currently writing: Dark Eras 2, TC In Media Res
                      Previous projects: DtD Night Horrors: Enemy Action (Alban, Beelzebub, Oxblood Mold, Whispering Oak); C20 Anthology of Dreams ("No Such Thing As Dragons")

Comment

• Originally posted by Malus View Post
                        Considering there's a sample character that gains satiety by unleashing her social media followers into doxxing folk to feed from that, signs point to no.
                        This isn't quite what I meant. She's still the impetus behind the events that lead to her feeding. What I want to know is what happens if a Beast comes across a situation they had no hand in causing. For example, if a Tyrant witnesses a mugging, could they feed on the helplessness of the victim, despite not being the cause of the helplessness? I guess this kind of comes down to the nature of the Hunger. Do Beasts feed off of fear itself, or do they feed off of causing fear? Are they driven to monstrous acts in order to sate their hunger, or is performing the act itself what fills them? This is my question (which is starting to sound not-so-simple).

Edit:
                        Originally posted by White Oak Dragon View Post
                        I actually have an idea for a hack that deals with that very idea. I won't go too far into that, here, but I will say that it should be a very intense source of fear if you're going to allow the character to feed from it. For example, if your character creates a storm that destroys someone's home, you should be able to feed from it. If the same storm is naturally occurring, it should require devastation on at least a neighborhood level, if not citywide.
                        Yeah, this is what I'm talking about. I'd be very interested to see what you come up with.

Edit again: I'm now picturing a merit, or perhaps an atavism, for a "scavenger" type of Beast that makes this type of feeding possible.
                        Last edited by Scriptorian; 01-17-2018, 07:30 PM.

The longer I study science the more I am convinced that it is functionally indistinguishable from what our ancestors would refer to as sorcery. And I would know, being both scientist and sorcerer.

Comment

• Okay, different question, this time it's about Family Dinner. The wording on "hunting" seems imprecise enough to me that I'd like to see what everyone else thinks. So the text makes it quite clear that there are two independent activities that could each provide 1 Satiety, "hunting" and "feeding" (and they aren't exclusive). It's easy enough to picture a "hunt" without "feeding" (say, Iron Masters who don't generally eat their sacred prey), but then further down the text makes the stipulation that targets that "allow themselves to be 'hunted' do not qualify as proper targets for Family Dinner". Now hang on, are they not valid targets, period? Or do they just not qualify for the first point of Satiety for "hunting"? Because if it's the former, which it seems pretty emphatic about, then what would qualify as a "feeding" without a "hunt"? Because the first thing that comes to mind, a vampire feeding from thralls, is expressly excluded. I can understand why they wouldn't want to make Family Dinner too easy (themes of the game and all that)...but it's explicitly defined that "hunting" isn't required (and then later says that "the hunt must be genuine")! Someone please tell me what I'm missing. The longer I look at it the more frustrated I get.

Comment

• The hunt needing to be genuine means it can't be a staged event. Like a vampire feeding on a person who's volunteered to be fed on wouldn't count as a hunt just because they agreed to run since the vamp wanted a chase.

As for feeding without a hunt, I'd say it would be an impersonal thing. Just random action that leads to the necessary actions of a feeding. A vampire grabbing a random person walking by and sinking their fangs in to the person's neck, a changeling making a glib/offhand comment that just happens to set the mood properly for a feeding, etc.

Comment

• Originally posted by nalak42 View Post
                              The hunt needing to be genuine means it can't be a staged event. Like a vampire feeding on a person who's volunteered to be fed on wouldn't count as a hunt just because they agreed to run since the vamp wanted a chase.
                              Okay, I think I get that part...but would it still count as a "feeding" or not?

Comment

• Originally posted by Scriptorian View Post

Okay, I think I get that part...but would it still count as a "feeding" or not?
                                Partially this is an ST thing. (It does expressly say ultimately comes down to the ST's call.) The way I see it a volunteer would still need to be a free target. Like if I recall there was a clan in vampire ,Salurbi I think, who couldn't feed off unwilling targets. All their food had to be coerced, bargained, etc from the target. So one of them making the exchange of "I'll fix your relative and I get to take some of your blood." would be fair game.

I think the idea is that family dinner would be the metaphysical equivalent of the hyena or jackals waiting for the lion to finish eating its food to grab its own lunch from the scraps. So, it doesn't work if the family member basically went to the refrigerator and pulled out beer.

Comment

Working...
                                X