Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ask a simple question, get a simple answer - Beast edition.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sorry, I'm sure some of this has been asked before and I think it's already in the books. I'm thinking of running a Beast / Golden Age of Piracy chronicle, and have a few basic questions.

1. Can some remind me how feeding and feasting works? beasts feed on fear, is it only fear or more emotions? do they have to kill? is there some benefit to killing? what's the benefit of having non beasts involved?
    2. Sometimes in dreams the landscape can change suddenly, or things can loop, etc, but my reading of beast is that there are basically different rooms, is there a way to emulate some of the weird effects one might experience in dreams? what about falling? you know that dream where you're falling, how can you handle that in your lair?
    3. When a beast attacks someone, they are in their dreams? do they have any more control over that environment, and directing it? can beasts easily roam about the primordial dream, and other parts of the dream, outside of their lair?
    4. how much of what beasts know is learned vs innate? how much do they understand about what they are when it first happens? how much do they then understand about their ... cousins.. the other splats?

Graphic Inspirational Photos for Chronicles of Darkness on Pinterest
    Chronicles of Darkness Slack (PM Me with Email for an Invite, then invite your friends)

Comment

• 1) It is fear, shock, and terror, as well as family dinners. Killing is a bonus to the feeding dice pool, but not required. Family dinners are what happens when more supernaturals get involved.
      2) Beasts have The Primordial Dream, which works on the small statistics as other ephemeral realms, but have some slight dice bonus. The lairs they inhabit are specific nightmares, usually tied to terrifying events and locations in the material world. The lair chambers are entirely in the hands of the beast. Lair traits help define them, and what's going on.

3) The Horror may roam the natural chambers of an areas Hive, which are other locations like it's own chambers that naturally form. You have some bonuses to combat in the PD, and can open portals to and from it with some stringent rolls.

4) That is up to the player and ST.

I'm on my phone, so that's the short version. Will get you some more details in a few hours if no one beats me to it.

Comment

• To go into more detail regarding Feeding, family dinner is basically a sort of Voyeurism where a Beast can get a little bit of Satiety by watching one of their cousins feed (from an unwilling victim, though. Blood dolls dont count). Neither Victim nor Cousin need to be aware of the Beast watching, though. The main benefit of Family Dinner is the Beast doesn't need to do anything other than watch, so it's ideal for the lazy or out-of-options. On the other hand, it's not as satisfying, so there is less Satiety to be gotten.
        Regarding the Fear, a Beast needs to cause a certain type of fear, as indicated by their Family and Hunger. Their Hunger also tells you a bit more about what they do to feed: Collectors collect, Tyrants exert dominance, Ravagers destroy etc(not limited to physical acts: destroying someone's confidence or belief certainly would count).

Regarding how much they understand: At least some - they get a free dot of Occult to represent a certain innate understanding/connection. So while they might not know much about their cousins, they are aware that there are other supernatural creatures that are different from them.

Comment

• Originally posted by ArchonAres View Post
          3) The Horror may roam the natural chambers of an areas Hive, which are other locations like it's own chambers that naturally form. You have some bonuses to combat in the PD, and can open portals to and from it with some stringent rolls.
          right, the hive, other members of the beasts family, but what about outside of that even, the general dream realm? or the person they are attacking's dreams? and what about things like the ever falling? or I even remember BtP mentioning doing things like dreams with teeth falling out. How does that work? if it's PC's being affected by a beast antagonist how does that work? to simplify I'm trying to figure out the exact limitations of beasts in a "dream scape"

Chronicles of Darkness Slack (PM Me with Email for an Invite, then invite your friends)

Comment

• So a thing, it would appear the Horror is reluctant to leave the Lair, so exploring the dreamscapes outside of the Lair might require some work if you want to do it in a way that isn't walking in your street form.
            Originally posted by Beast core pg 99
            ​Beasts exploiting Kinship
            with mages or changelings sometimes find themselves wandering
            the greater dream-realms beyond their Lairs, as well.
            Now onto the next part.
            Originally posted by xenoterracide View Post

right, the hive, other members of the beasts family, but what about outside of that even, the general dream realm? or the person they are attacking's dreams? and what about things like the ever falling? or I even remember BtP mentioning doing things like dreams with teeth falling out. How does that work? if it's PC's being affected by a beast antagonist how does that work? to simplify I'm trying to figure out the exact limitations of beasts in a "dream scape"
            A merged Beast* does not have access to it's Nightmares. So, while a Beast can use All Your Teeth Fall Out on a random person walking the streets in the real world they would not be able to do so merged with the Horror.

*Unified, completed, whole, what are we calling a Beast that's entered their Lair and temporarily become one with Horror?

Comment

• You read that wrong, it's the Horror on its own that can't use Nightmares. They work just fine while merged.

Comment

• Seconding Sith_Happens: by my reading, merging with their Horror gives the Beast access to everything at their usual disposal plus a neat little buff. Atavisms are still restricted by actual Satiety, while on their own (read: not merged), a Horror can use every aspect of their Atavisms as it pleases (albeit still needs to expend Satiety for the Expenditure part) but not use any Nightmares.

This differenciation matters because during your story, the Horror might come under attack by an invading Hero (or Changeling/Mage/Hunter...), while the Beast - as in, the human body of the trinity (Physical Human Body, Dreamscape Lair, Metaphysical Horror 'Body') that makes up the Beast- is not merged with it. And killing the Horror does kill the Beast, as does collapsing the Heart of the Lair.

Comment

• Hi everyone. I have a query on your opinion of this rules interpretation. Near the section about low Satiety where it describes the Horror seeking sustenance in its own in intervals based on Lair there is a sidebar called the horror itself. Based on a statement in this section that says the Horror only leaves the Lair if it is Starving or Ravenous my storyteller has made the following decision: if the character leaves thier Lair while Starving or Ravenous they leave as thier horror and behave like an ephemeral entitiy. I do not believe this is true, however I cannot find a definitive statement either way. I personally interpret this as an extension of the rule governing when the Horror leaves in search of sustenance and feeds on people close to the character. What are your thoughts?

"The ego is not king of its own castle."

Comment

• Originally posted by Strictura View Post
                    Hi everyone. I have a query on your opinion of this rules interpretation. Near the section about low Satiety where it describes the Horror seeking sustenance in its own in intervals based on Lair there is a sidebar called the horror itself. Based on a statement in this section that says the Horror only leaves the Lair if it is Starving or Ravenous my storyteller has made the following decision: if the character leaves thier Lair while Starving or Ravenous they leave as thier horror and behave like an ephemeral entitiy. I do not believe this is true, however I cannot find a definitive statement either way. I personally interpret this as an extension of the rule governing when the Horror leaves in search of sustenance and feeds on people close to the character. What are your thoughts?
                    No: the Begotten (the mortal shell) and Horror (Beastly soul) are technically separate entities. In a way similar to how the Sin Eater and Geist are separate entities.

So when the rule is referring to the Horror leaving its Lair, they're talking about the entity that gives the Begotten their power, and not the Begotten themselves. So in this case, your ST's interpretation would technically be untrue since the Horror entering and leaving the Lair isn't completely dependent on the Begotten entering or leaving their Lair.

Comment

• Originally posted by tasti man LH View Post

No: the Begotten (the mortal shell) and Horror (Beastly soul) are technically separate entities. In a way similar to how the Sin Eater and Geist are separate entities.

So when the rule is referring to the Horror leaving its Lair, they're talking about the entity that gives the Begotten their power, and not the Begotten themselves. So in this case, your ST's interpretation would technically be untrue since the Horror entering and leaving the Lair isn't completely dependent on the Begotten entering or leaving their Lair.
                      "
                      Additionally, they probably hunt through the Primordial Dream (think Astral as opposed to the "normal" world, but in Twilight). Since they attacking other dreamers, unless you want to import the Dream Bastion rules from Changeling, ephemeral traits probably don't matter.

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
                      Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

• If a Beast is in their lair, do they instantly morph into their Horror or is it more like a changing breed situation where they can (mostly) control the transformation?

Furthermore, can a Beast and a Horror be in the lair at the same time? I ask because the mental image is really cool in my mind. (smol botanist standing with what is essentially godzilla)

Comment

• It's an almost instantaneous merging unless the Horror is Gorged and thus asleep. That's also the only time they can be in the Lair at the same time

A god is just a monster you kneel to. - ArcaneArts, Quoting "Fall of Gods"

Comment

• Originally posted by AdorableChou View Post
                            If a Beast is in their lair, do they instantly morph into their Horror or is it more like a changing breed situation where they can (mostly) control the transformation?

Furthermore, can a Beast and a Horror be in the lair at the same time? I ask because the mental image is really cool in my mind. (smol botanist standing with what is essentially godzilla)
                            What Master Aquatosic said.

Still, it would be incredibly thematic for a Beast to slowly transform into what she really is in front of people, after having discretely opened a Pathway so that they’re all already in her Lair. (In this interpretation, the instant transformation rule is there to prevent merging from being a possible vulnerability, rather than strict enforcing instant-ness.)

MtAw Homebrew: Even more Legacies, updated to 2E

Comment

• Could someone remind me, a Beast, a Mage, and a Demon walk into a room. Does the beast know that the mage is such immediately? would it immediately roll contested for the demon? or does the beast actually have to be trying to notice the other splats.

Comment

• Originally posted by xenoterracide View Post
                                Could someone remind me, a Beast, a Mage, and a Demon walk into a room. Does the beast know that the mage is such immediately? would it immediately roll contested for the demon? or does the beast actually have to be trying to notice the other splats.
                                For the mage: Assuming nothing supernatural has been done yet in the scene, the Beast reflexively rolls Wits + Occult + Lair - the mage's Composure + Wisdom; apart from a heightened chance of failure, this works as normal.

For the demon: Assuming the demon is in Cover, before anything else, the demon may roll their Cover rating as an unresisted and uncontested reflexive action; if this roll succeeds, Family Resemblance detects nothing, and if it fails, the Wits + Occult + Lair - Composure roll proceeds as normal except without the possibility of exceptional success; after a successful roll, the Beast and the demon engage in the Clash of Wills to determine who gets a complicating Condition.

Resident Sanguinary Analyst
                                Currently Consuming: Changeling: the Lost 1e

Comment

Working...
                                X