Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ask a simple question, get a simple answer - Beast edition.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by nalak42 View Post
    As for how many times you can use an atavism or nightmare, there's not really a limit on them as written.
    On Nightmare there is some limit putted but I question is it really a limit of usage on it. Here is rule quote I'm refering to, on Success part of Invoking Nightmares section:

Originally posted by BtP, page 134
    Success: The Nightmare takes effect either immediately or when the victim next sleeps, as the Beast desires. If the victim is subject to multiple “dormant” Nightmares, he suffers one Nightmare each time he sleeps, in order of when the Nightmares were applied.

An individual can only be subject to one active Nightmare at a time. If the Beast invokes a second Nightmare on the same target, the new Nightmare supersedes the old one. If a different Beast does so, the attempt triggers a Clash of Wills.
    From my reading, it should limit the things like 'You Must Obey' as only one usage per one target in the same scene. However, if Nightmare were simple Failure player can retake activation, paying next Willpower point with cumulative -1 penalty, as always. But once Nightmare is in effect, it's only one usage per scene of it.

Originally posted by nalak42 View Post
    however, you do have to manage eye contact with the victim before you can make them deal with the check to see if it takes hold.
    The BtP corebook points you can use Nightmares on touch only and that the victim needs only to see you, not even yourself. ( Eye Contact sidebar )
    Originally posted by BtP, page 133
    Nightmares require a Beast to make eye contact with her victims in order to invoke their effects. That contact is one-way — the victim needs to see the Beast’s eyes, but not vice versa. This contact is possible through simple barriers like sunglasses (even mirrored) or tinted windows, but does not work when looking at a video feed rather than the Beast herself. Nightmares work on touch, as well.

LGBT+ in CoD games
    Dark Eras fan stuff hub ( with Eras inside ):
    Byzantine Empire in Middle Ages ( 330–1453 A.D.)
    Conquest of Paradise – Portugal and Spain in 15th century and their conquests
    My stuff for VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E & BtP

Comment

• I got also question of Feeding of Beasts - As I understand rules on page 108, Beast declarers his feeding action. Then ST judges if it should start from 1-3 Satiety Potential dices, based on action general liknes for Horror's Hunger. Then ST assign bonus/penalties dices to Satiety Potential dicepool. And only when Satiety Potential is greater than now Satiety level of Beast, players roll it, yes?

LGBT+ in CoD games
      Dark Eras fan stuff hub ( with Eras inside ):
      Byzantine Empire in Middle Ages ( 330–1453 A.D.)
      Conquest of Paradise – Portugal and Spain in 15th century and their conquests
      My stuff for VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E & BtP

Comment

• Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post
        It is both in 1E and 2E Mage. Other 2E corebooks copy-paste scene complicated definition from ( 2E ) CoD Rulebook.
        It's almost like most gamelines don't deal with powers whose timescales are granular enough that "this lasts until this event has played out" is sufficient.

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post
        Because if you not spent Satiety, theoretically, you could spam the same 'You Must Obey' on each target as long as you can, if scene is circle 1 hour of game time...
        Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post
        However, if Nightmare were simple Failure player can retake activation, paying next Willpower point with cumulative -1 penalty, as always.
        Setting aside the fact that the Successive Attempts rule doesn't cost Willpower, this and the loss of a turn that failure imposes are essentially all the limiting factors necessary for a two-trait roll.

Resident Sanguinary Analyst
        Currently Consuming: Changeling: the Lost 1e

Comment

I got also question of Feeding of Beasts - As I understand rules on page 108, Beast declarers his feeding action. Then ST judges if it should start from 1-3 Satiety Potential dices, based on action general liknes for Horror's Hunger. Then ST assign bonus/penalties dices to Satiety Potential dicepool. And only when Satiety Potential is greater than now Satiety level of Beast, players roll it, yes?
          Base Satiety Potential runs the range from one to five dice, but yes, that's how the mechanic works.

Comment

The BtP corebook points you can use Nightmares on touch only and that the victim needs only to see you, not even yourself. ( Eye Contact sidebar )
            Read the sidebar again, the victim needs to see your eyes, if they're looking at your shoes its not working. Touch is a bit of a tricky one since the Fist of Nightmare merit is a thing that exists and the purpose of that merit is to allow one to store a nightmare to inflict on a person via touch. Either way this doesn't really stop the ST from imposing restrictions if you start going with the idea of "Well the nightmare lasts a scene and the core gives a scene's length as about an hour, so every 59 minutes I start spamming You Must Obey on my target to ensure I maintain control for another hour."

Comment

• Hi! I have this very simple question, but I couldn't find a definitive answer in the core book. Does a Nightmare always affects a single target, or it can affect everyone who makes eye contact with the Beast?

P.S.: Context: a Beast PC tried to scare a whole mob with the 'Run Away' Nightmare, and his player argued that he could affect everyone in the mob as long as they made eye contact with his character.
              Last edited by Zooroos; 10-01-2018, 11:17 AM. Reason: Example

Comment

• Originally posted by Zooroos View Post
                Hi! I have this very simple question, but I couldn't find a definitive answer in the core book. Does a Nightmare always affects a single target, or it can affect everyone who makes eye contact with the Beast?

P.S.: Context: a Beast PC tried to scare a whole mob with the 'Run Away' Nightmare, and his player argued that he could affect everyone in the mob as long as they made eye contact with his character.
                Nightmares affect a single target. There is a specific meta-Nightmare, "Fear is Contagious," for affecting multiple targets.

Comment

• Hi,
                  I have read the atavism Vengeful earth (player guide pag 88) and i don t understand what is the duration of the satiety expenditure effect.
                  One scene, one turn or until the beast dismiss it?

Comment

• Originally posted by Neos01 View Post
                    Hi,
                    I have read the atavism Vengeful earth (player guide pag 88) and i don t understand what is the duration of the satiety expenditure effect.
                    One scene, one turn or until the beast dismiss it?
                    It's not explicit, but at a cursory glance, a scene seems reasonable. I could see arguments for less, but not more.

Comment

• Originally posted by Satchel View Post
                      Nightmares affect a single target. There is a specific meta-Nightmare, "Fear is Contagious," for affecting multiple targets.
                      Thank you! That's exactly what I was looking for.

Comment

• Depending on the context of the scene he might be able to use it on multiple enemies in succession (one per turn), although somebody screaming and running away is probably enough of a distraction for the rest to break eye contact.

Comment

• Does Hunger Management modify Satiety Potential directly (thus keeping the cap of 10 dice rolled, and allowing it to qualify you for meals at higher satiety levels than you normally would)?

Or does it add a bonus to the pool when you roll (thus allowing a max of 13 dice to be rolled, but meaning that it wouldn't qualify you to feed on a meal with a potential lower than your Satiety)?

Comment

• Originally posted by lnodiv View Post
                            Does Hunger Management modify Satiety Potential directly (thus keeping the cap of 10 dice rolled, and allowing it to qualify you for meals at higher satiety levels than you normally would)?

Or does it add a bonus to the pool when you roll (thus allowing a max of 13 dice to be rolled, but meaning that it wouldn't qualify you to feed on a meal with a potential lower than your Satiety)?
                            The latter seems to fit the wording of the Merit better, with the caveat that I'm pretty sure "under no circumstances" still means what it means.

Comment

• Probably stupid question, and I swear I've seen the topic come up before but I can't find it after several pages of searching:
                              Can Beasts benefit from Family Dinner when helping other Beasts (eg Broodmates) Feed? I had it in my head that it was only for other supernaturals, but I'm not so sure lately...

It'd be a good way to avoid excessive feeding scenes with a large Brood without handwaving them, if it works.

Comment

• Originally posted by lnodiv View Post
                                Probably stupid question, and I swear I've seen the topic come up before but I can't find it after several pages of searching:
                                Can Beasts benefit from Family Dinner when helping other Beasts (eg Broodmates) Feed? I had it in my head that it was only for other supernaturals, but I'm not so sure lately...

It'd be a good way to avoid excessive feeding scenes with a large Brood without handwaving them, if it works.
                                If i remember it correctly the kinship abilities works only on other supernatural

Comment

Working...
                                X