Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ask a simple question, get a simple answer - Beast edition.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by lnodiv View Post
    Say a PC Beast has successfully become the Apex of the local Hive.

    Is one of their existing Lair traits elevated to being the Hive Trait?
    Or do they get a new, additional Trait that fills that role, essentially granting Apex Beasts an extra Trait to draw on?
    The Hive Trait should represent the Apex. If the Beast didn't have the Hive Trait before becoming Apex then it wouldn't really be representative.


    Bloodline: The Stygians
    Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
    Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Tessie View Post
      If the Beast didn't have the Hive Trait before becoming Apex then it wouldn't really be representative.
      This presumes that the number of Lair Traits that could be representative of a certain Beast is always exactly equivalent to the number of Lair Traits that they currently have.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by lnodiv View Post
        This presumes that the number of Lair Traits that could be representative of a certain Beast is always exactly equivalent to the number of Lair Traits that they currently have.
        "If the Apex is a Beast, the hive reflects that Beast's Lair; if the Apex is a Makara, for example, a river might run through the Chambers of a hive, becoming swollen and raging when the Apex is angry."

        If you don't have a Lair Trait in your personal chunk of the Primordial Dream, it's almost certainly not going to represent you as a Hive Trait in the bigger chunk of the Primordial Dream you claim spiritual dominion over.


        Resident Sanguinary Analyst
        Currently Consuming: Changeling: the Lost 1e

        Comment


        • So, this question has probably been answered, but I was looking and I couldn't find answer so I figured I'd ask.

          Can Beasts recognize Heroes on sight, like how Heroes can recognize Beasts with their Heroic Tracking?

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Ever Professional View Post
            Can Beasts recognize Heroes on sight, like how Heroes can recognize Beasts with their Heroic Tracking?
            Thematics and lack of statement to that effect suggest the answer is "no."


            Resident Sanguinary Analyst
            Currently Consuming: Changeling: the Lost 1e

            Comment


            • Heroes don't count as kin, per a dev comment buried somewhere in this board, so they wouldn't trigger family resemblance.

              You *might* be able to spot them with the Eye of Heaven Atavism by looking at aspirations or supernatural destiny.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by HelmsDerp View Post
                Heroes don't count as kin, per a dev comment buried somewhere in this board, so they wouldn't trigger family resemblance.

                You *might* be able to spot them with the Eye of Heaven Atavism by looking at aspirations or supernatural destiny.
                Unchained are not kin, but they can trigger family resemblance

                Comment


                • The BPG talks a bit about what it might look like to change Hungers - is there any discussion anywhere about what changing Lair Traits might look like?

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Neos01 View Post

                    Unchained are not kin, but they can trigger family resemblance
                    Really? I thought not kin cant be subject to anything?

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Primordial newcomer View Post

                      Really? I thought not kin cant be subject to anything?
                      In the core book.
                      Demons have supplemental rules for it.
                      But yes, much of the others kinship abilities doesn t work on them

                      Comment


                      • Hi
                        I need to build a guardian creature for a beast lair, with a power level of a rank 4 or 5 ephemeral creature.
                        How many level of the beast guide merit well stocked lair are necessary for this?

                        Comment


                        • Do Beast have a Z-Spat? Like Lodges for Werewolves or Vampire Bloodlines? I mean, I couldn't find so I'm asking if there is any that might be on the works or something

                          And can a Beast or at least its Horror be a pack totem? I think I saw something alluding to it in the Player's Guide
                          Last edited by Aeveth; 06-03-2019, 12:31 AM.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Aeveth View Post
                            Do Beast have a Z-Spat? Like Lodges for Werewolves or Vampire Bloodlines? I mean, I couldn't find so I'm asking if there is any that might be on the works or something
                            Inheritance is the closest thing so far, but it’s not really the same.

                            Originally posted by Aeveth View Post
                            And can a Beast or at least its Horror be a pack totem? I think I saw something alluding to it in the Player's Guide
                            Not really, but maybe. I’d say definite no to having a Beast as a pack totem, but maybe a Horror. Uratha bind to spirits of the Hisil as totems as they have the right ‘shape’ to fit with whatever mystical forces werewolves use to make the pack bond. It’s possible that this could extend to other ephemeral entities as well, with a bit of effort. The complicating factor to the Horror is that it’s already bound to the Beast in ways stronger and tighter than the pack bond. The ability to link to other creatures is already used up as it occupies the place of a soul rather than being a free spirit. That said, strange things happen and whatever works for your game is the bottom line.


                            Writer. Developer. World of Darkness | Chronicles of Darkness | The Trinity Continuum

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Bunyip View Post
                              Not really, but maybe. I’d say definite no to having a Beast as a pack totem, but maybe a Horror.
                              Beast Player Guide seems to not agree with you on that:

                              Originally posted by BPG, p. 135
                              The Lodge of the Red Owl is dedicated to reverence and mastery of the hunt. The Final Peace serves as the de facto totem of an Iron Master pack, and teaches her human followers how to hunt with a werewolf’s savage efficiency and cunning. Her flock’s greatest calling is to pass these methods on to fellow hunters, even if that means making them prey first.


                              My stuff for Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E & BtP
                              LGBT+ in CoD games

                              Comment


                              • *sigh* What you have in that section, as per its heading “Cults and Cultists” and the pages it describes about how a Beast pulls together a cult, is the Beast recruiting werewolves as part of her cult. Here she serves as the central persona inspiring the cult around her in the hunt. As it’s written under a section specifically talking about the different reasons why Beasts might build cults, it’s demonstrating how a Beast can assimilates an aspect important to another supernatural and turn that to her own needs. Serving as a patron to the Uratha and using her powers to assist them helps them in the hunt, but more importantly to the Beast, she inspires a flock of humans to go out and hunt and kill in her name, harvesting the Satiety and benefits from it.

                                What it doesn’t mean is that the Beast has all the abilities and expectations of an actual totem. If the Final Peace was the same as an actual totem, the text would have said “The Final Peace serves as the totem of the pack”, not “de facto totem’. She’s occupying a position of centrality around which the pack finds purpose, much like an actual totem. It doesn’t mean she is one.


                                Writer. Developer. World of Darkness | Chronicles of Darkness | The Trinity Continuum

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X