Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ask a simple question, get a simple answer - Beast edition.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BreezySatina View Post
    First off, once you assess a target to actually activate the merit, is it permanently activated against that target for the rest of the scene, or do you have to re-assess them before every attack?
    My reading is that it's on permanently. Like, mundane Killer Instinct has more or less the same wording. Then Advanced KI makes it always on. If KI needed activating every other turn, then that would be a massive step-up.

It might be something to watch out for in a game.

Comment

• That would fit the pattern of other advanced merits though. Mundane Striking looks is a +2 dice bonus, advanced adds rote. The significant power jump is what makes advanced merits so desirable and why they're restricted to Beasts while the base effects are available to anyone.

Comment

• Originally posted by HelmsDerp View Post
        That would fit the pattern of other advanced merits though. Mundane Striking looks is a +2 dice bonus, advanced adds rote. The significant power jump is what makes advanced merits so desirable and why they're restricted to Beasts while the base effects are available to anyone.
        Sure, but I think Killer Instinct advanced already adds a significant power boost.

Plus, if it were a one-shot ability then I think simply making that always on would be a massive jump on it's own.

Comment

• Any particular merits/skills/atavisms/etc you think are a must-have for a black widow type of beast? Thinking a seduce-trap-consume modus operandi, still ironing out the details. This is my first Beast character so trying to figure out what're the good stuff and what're the stuff that just seems good.

Comment

• Originally posted by Vintervalpen View Post
            Any particular merits/skills/atavisms/etc you think are a must-have for a black widow type of beast? Thinking a seduce-trap-consume modus operandi, still ironing out the details. This is my first Beast character so trying to figure out what're the good stuff and what're the stuff that just seems good.
            Ok, access to Atavisms varies a little depending on the Family you decide to pick, but here's my two cents:

- Attributes & Skills are rather straightforward. Presence and Manipulation are mandatory, but others like Wits, Resolve and Composure will likely come in handy with the concept you have in mind. As for Skills, Persuasion, Subterfuge, Empathy and Socialize are the first which come to mind.

-Merits somewhat depend on the details (and give you more details as well), but stuff like Alternate Identity, Barfly, Striking Looks and Trained Observer are good starting points for you to look at. Allies, Contacts and Resources also help.

- Atavisms. Alien Allure is a given. Basilisk Touch gives you poison, which classically fits the concept, as does From the Shadows. Need Must can help find and track target and Siren's Treacherous Song helps to charm others too, in its own way. If you want to go with a literal black widow as Horror concept, Infestation is always fun and, if you have access to the Player's Guide, Caught in the Web does exactly what its name describes. A combination of Inguma and Talassi Atavisms from that same book would likely provide something for what you have in mind.

-Nightmares can be costumized a lot, but some like Bugs Everywhere!, You Are Alone and You Cannot Run seem appropriate right from the bat.

Hope this helps!
            Last edited by Cinder; 08-13-2019, 06:35 PM.

Cinder's Comprehensive Collection of Creations - Homebrew Hub

I write about Beast: The Primordial a lot

This is what I'm working on

Comment

• I'm really sorry if this has been answered before, but I couldn't find a good answer for this and I though I had an idea of how did this work but reading the book again I saw that I didn't have a good grasp of how did it work.

What am I talking about? Imposing Lair traits, could you walk me through the permutations for it? or give me a link to a post where it has been answered?

I'm confused when the book mentions that a trait is Resonant, can the Beast just will a number or lair traits as per Lair rating with no roll or cost involved?

Comment

• Originally posted by Aeveth View Post
                I'm confused when the book mentions that a trait is Resonant, can the Beast just will a number or lair traits as per Lair rating with no roll or cost involved?
                This is not the case in any permutation of the action.

If one of your Lair Traits is already present in a scene, you can invoke as many of the others as allowed by your Lair without a cost or a roll.

If you're in the location one of your Chambers is based on or a location similar to it, you can spend a point of Satiety and roll Wits + Resolve modified by the degree to which the location matches the original site; if you're not using the initial basis for the Chamber itself, this also costs a point of Willpower.

A space being resonant requires it to have one of your Lair Traits present, and is both a requirement for incorporating a new Chamber into your Lair as well as the means by which you can spend Willpower to use the Satiety Expenditure effects of your Atavisms a limited number of times per scene; for the latter purpose, your Lair itself always counts as resonant.

Resident Lore-Hound
                Currently Consuming: Hunter: the Vigil 1e

Comment

• Originally posted by Satchel View Post

If one of your Lair Traits is already present in a scene, you can invoke as many of the others as allowed by your Lair without a cost or a roll.
                  This is literally what I meant above, so let's use an example, my beast has a smoke grenade and the trait Fog in the form of a haze of smoke, using the grenade would make any location resonant with the Fog trait and allow the beast to then use a number lair traits within the limits imposed by my beast current Lair rating?

Comment

• Originally posted by Aeveth View Post
                    This is literally what I meant above, so let's use an example, my beast has a smoke grenade and the trait Fog in the form of a haze of smoke, using the grenade would make any location resonant with the Fog trait and allow the beast to then use a number lair traits within the limits imposed by my beast current Lair rating?
                    Yes. The area has been made resonant by the presence of the Trait.

Resident Lore-Hound
                    Currently Consuming: Hunter: the Vigil 1e

Comment

• Ok, I understand now, thank you.

Comment

Working...
                      X