Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ask a simple question, get a simple answer - Beast edition.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by TempleBuilder View Post
    Absolutely. Maybe I’m wrong. But my past experience says I under react to things. *shrug*
    Ahh ok. Also, very VERY sorry if I was coming off as rude.

Comment

• Originally posted by Primordial newcomer View Post

Ahh ok. Also, very VERY sorry if I was coming off as rude.
      What? No, not at all. It was a valid point.

Originally posted by ArcaneArts View Post
      It's definitely a good idea to get into gothic/Romantic(not romantic) literature, goth cinema, and the gothic subculture on the whole the longer one relates to and experiences the Chronicles- and World- of Darkness franchise, though not neccesary. I (and many other writers) read Byron and watched The Crow so you don't have to.

Also, because it's loosely related to this topic and I love it:

Wow. Thank you, ArcaneArts.
      Edit: oh your signature says you would prefer Arcane.
      Thank you, Arcane.

To whomever reads this, I hope you have a good day/night. May you be Happy.

So, I made some Mage Legacies here, with some help. They vary in quality, but I hope you take a look at them. Every one contains pieces of me, for better or worse.

Comment

• Originally posted by TempleBuilder View Post
        Wow. Thank you, ArcaneArts.
        Edit: oh your signature says you would prefer Arcane.
        Thank you, Arcane.
        Kelly or Sean work, as is comfortable for you to use.
        Last edited by ArcaneArts; 09-13-2021, 11:43 AM.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
        The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
        Feminine pronouns, please.

Comment

• Hi everyone, I had a question regarding the Legendary Horror merit introduced in the BPG, not so much its function however.

What numina would you say the Horror would be able to access? The general ones as described in the main corebook, potentially the Unfettered numina etc, I've always been puzzled at what could and could not go when selecting the merit for this.

Comment

• So I really can't find a definitive by searching google, has there been a consensus on how to calculate a Horror's health? Is a Horror always a dream form creature essentially and therefore its size doesnt impact it's health or is it actually present/ephemeral and it's health is resistance + size? Unfettered are said to be Ephemeral beings which to me almost implies Horrors are ephemeral to begin with.
            Last edited by Yig1015w; 10-21-2021, 01:33 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Yig1015w View Post
              So I really can't find a definitive by searching google, has there been a consensus on how to calculate a Horror's health? Is a Horror always a dream form creature essentially and therefore its size doesnt impact it's health or is it actually present/ephemeral and it's health is resistance + size? Unfettered are said to be Ephemeral beings which to me almost implies Horrors are ephemeral to begin with.
              THe horror's Health is calculated with the same rules for Ephemeral Entities (Chapter 4), and keys primarily off of your (effective/)size, keeping in mind the added points mentioned on pg 99 in the The Horror Itself sidebar and any Atavisms or Merits that would effect that.

A Horror does count as a ephemeral being and follows the rules that apply in the corebook, though if you possess the Beast Player's Guide, Goetia are understood as the Dreamborn iwthin Beast parlance, and Horrors are a class apart from them, the rules in Chapter 5 for them superceding the rules for Goetia/Dreamborn the rules in the core as it applies.
              Last edited by ArcaneArts; 10-21-2021, 05:27 PM.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)

Comment

• So yea, that seems to say clearly to me that Horrors use size for health. Odd that most things you find when searching for horror stats on google says the exact opposite with quite a bit of support. Regardless, I appreciate the answer and the ability to spend your extra points when you merge on size makes alot more sense now. Its a do or die entirely situation to fight in your Lair, they should be able to get some crazy levels of health given what a Horror represents.

Comment

• That raises one more question though, is there a maximum attribute for these extra points? They mentioned unfettered use the beast's lair as their rank but Lair can go to 10 and they say rank 6+ ephemeral beings are basically chronicle spanning big bads essentially. So second question, does that mean that any beast at Lair 6+ who spawns a unfettered has created a powerful monster that is basically campaign definingly strong? Aka rank 6+?

Comment

• Originally posted by Yig1015w View Post
                    That raises one more question though, is there a maximum attribute for these extra points? They mentioned unfettered use the beast's lair as their rank but Lair can go to 10 and they say rank 6+ ephemeral beings are basically chronicle spanning big bads essentially. So second question, does that mean that any beast at Lair 6+ who spawns a unfettered has created a powerful monster that is basically campaign definingly strong? Aka rank 6+?
                    See "Ephemeral Entites Rules as normal" and basically, yeah. Honestly, any Beast at 6+ Lair is probably a campaign defining feature, whether they've claimed an Inheritance or not.

Comment

• So quick question: the books seem to suggest it's possible for Beasts to enter people's dreams directly from their Lair (presumably through the Tenemos/Primordial Dream) and feed on them in their dreams (similar to how the Horror does it of its own accord when you're starving/ravenous). How does that work exactly, though? I mean... I suppose they just open a Primordial Pathway to areas of the Astral, but how do Beasts find Oneiros (or whatever they call the area for people's dream) ? Do they just wander into the Astral until they find an Oneiros by accident, or do they have some way to directly get to an Oneiros if they know what they're looking for?

I'm asking because it honestly sounds like a really fun way of feeding for Beasts, and one of my players wants to do that quite often, but I'm never quite sure how to handle it.
                      Last edited by Darinas; 10-24-2021, 09:43 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Darinas View Post
                        So quick question: the books seem to suggest it's possible for Beasts to enter people's dreams directly from their Lair (presumably through the Tenemos/Primordial Dream) and feed on them in their dreams (similar to how the Horror does it of its own accord when you're starving/ravenous). How does that work exactly, though? I mean... I suppose they just open a Primordial Pathway to areas of the Astral, but how do Beasts find Oneiros (or whatever they call the area for people's dream) ? Do they just wander into the Astral until they find an Oneiros by accident, or do they have some way to directly get to an Oneiros if they know what they're looking for?
                        The Player's Guide goes into more detail, but the process essentially runs:

1. Be in your Lair.
                        2. Leave one of your Chambers without using a Burrow or Primordial Pathway, placing you in the larger dreamscape of the Primordial Dream, which mostly mirrors the material world (don't try this from your Heart or more esoteric Chambers, you will have further to travel).
                        3. The dreamscape is not a populated space; move towards places where more people should be (based on where you currently are) to cross the Horizon called the Day and enter the Bright Dream/Temenos.
                        4. Navigate between realms in the Bright Dream (largely mechanically identical to the rules for navigating the Temenos in Astral Realms), bridging your way conceptually toward a specific person to reach their Oneiros.
                        5. (Optional) Open a Primordial Pathway back to your Lair (possible in any part of the Bright Dream if one of your Lair Traits matches its Theme, which the Begotten always know) to deliberately target an individual for your Horror to feed from.

Resident Lore-Hound
                        Currently Consuming: Hunter: the Vigil 1e

Comment

• Thanks, Satchel^^ that's very helpful.

I swear, it's a shame so many people ignore the Beast player guide. It added so much to the game.

Comment

• Quick question about Insatiable: can they heal damage by spending Satiety the way Beasts do in their Lair, and if yes how does it work? Do they need to Subvert a Lair or create one, or since they're pretty much walking horrors to begin with, can they do it anywhere?

Comment

• I don't remember anything saying they can do so and would say considering their own origins and format in the setting you're probably justified in saying they can't do that with stolen lairs.

Comment

Working...
                              X