Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ask a simple question, get a simple answer - Beast edition.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ask a simple question, get a simple answer - Beast edition.

This feels like a silly question, but how exactly do you/others access your lair? It talks about giving people access to your lair without you being present, and the "Hold the Door" section talks about your Lair having "entrances" but I don't see any further explanation about how they work. Is the primary way you access your lair by primordial pathways? That seems really weird because when you do that everyone around you gets pulled into your lair, so I don't see how granting permission comes into it. The in game example of how primordial pathways works also implies that you have to leave the current chamber you are in if you want to actually stay in your lair when the pathways closes, which is just strange.

• espritdecalmar
    replied
    Originally posted by falco1029 View Post
    Is there any default rule to how Beasts resolve conditions like Addicted that have the resolution of "Gain integrity, lose integrity, or exceptional a breaking point"? By a strict 1 to 1, that'd mean spending or gaining Satiety would resolve it, but that doesn't seem right to me (it's too easy). Is that covered in the books at all?
    I do not believe this is ever addressed. One potential solution could be "Gain and then resolve either the Slumbering or Ravenous Condition."

Leave a comment:

• falco1029
    replied
    Is there any default rule to how Beasts resolve conditions like Addicted that have the resolution of "Gain integrity, lose integrity, or exceptional a breaking point"? By a strict 1 to 1, that'd mean spending or gaining Satiety would resolve it, but that doesn't seem right to me (it's too easy). Is that covered in the books at all?

Leave a comment:

• nalak42
    replied
    Thing I'm toying with doing, and wondering if we have one and/or if it would be something people would be interested in. In character introduction to being a Beast. Don't have a character in mind or anything and only barebones framework just wondering on opinions.

Leave a comment:

• Warpwind
    replied
    Originally posted by Satchel View Post
    Probably perfected metals.

Barring some dramatic paradigm shift that might involve mummies, you can't open a door into Twilight with the tools available to you as a Beast.
    Yeap sorry. that's the stuff. I was thinking 'perfected metals' myself, but then remembered that there is 'practice of perfecting' and thought I was remembering it wrong. Taking into account what the Perfected Metals are, 'Platonic Metals' came to mind. After all those things are indeed idealized materials, pushed to their perfect expressions.

Originally posted by nalak42 View Post
    Thanks, hadn't heard the term before myself.

I mean you technically could, but it would require a few hoops like having a Lair Chamber in the Twilight or a gate that opens into the Twilight. (Same principle for the Shadow and Underworld.) Neither option are really practical though as it'll eat through your Willpower fast.

Though I didn't see anything in the entry saying the perfected metals can't be forged with in ways that aren't normal aside from traits. You wouldn't be able to make amalgams with them, heramium's desire to mix with everything aside. Aside from that seems like it would be normal use of Beast tricks to forge stuff.

It's just quite a few splats have their own 'technology'. be it mage enchantments, werewolf fetishes, and whatever mummies and sin eaters use. In addition, many Anakim legends are closely linked to crafting (mostly metalwork) like giants and cyclops. So was thinking about the 'technology' beasts could make.
    Now, ancasus artifacts are a given, but those things are more of a part of spells then anything else. So what I came up with were astral forging and perfected metals.

Perfected metals arre actually pretty easy to make as long as you can move things into ephemeral state. Considering how mobile beasts are, they should be able to do that. First of all, doesn't beast layer count as an 'ephemeral state' itself? so bringing those metals in the layer and leaving them in there to 'melt' down should be enough. barring that, you could move them to Shadow and back a dozen times. Taking into account Beasts aren't mages, making it that slow would be appropriate. So a beast would have to move metal between realms a few dozen times to purify it.

If needed a forging process could be summarized with 'Forge' merit with 1-5 points? that could include small portal to 'smelt' the metal, instruments and maybe some helpers like small metal spirits, nightmares of industry or maybe at the top level a Salamander homeboy? Salamanders are Dreaming Earth rank 4 fire elemental that can also live in the spirits attuned with forging (prerequisite high craft?) and can both reach into real world and actually purify metals into 'platonic' (not perfected) form that is easy to enchant.

The next step would be to incorporate perfected metals into abcasus rights, or maybe for making astral fetishes or something like that. Would be nice way to introduce a way to make unique equipment for beasts.
    Last edited by Warpwind; 01-24-2020, 10:20 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Tessie
    replied
    Barring some dramatic paradigm shift that might involve mummies, you can't open a door into Twilight with the tools available to you as a Beast.
    But, iirc, a Beast can physically enter the Astral, and the Astral is an ephemeral realm. The only question is if the WYSIWYG principles of the Astral might interfere with the material/ephemeral conversion.

I mean you technically could, but it would require a few hoops like having a Lair Chamber in the Twilight or a gate that opens into the Twilight. (Same principle for the Shadow and Underworld.) Neither option are really practical though as it'll eat through your Willpower fast.
    The reason Satchel mentioned a paradigm shift involving mummies is because mummies are the only ones that interact with Twilight as if it was a different location, and notably only as a means to reach a place to which they are metaphysically bound. For everyone else Twilight is simply how you interact with the world rather than a world of its own, and thus you shouldn't be able to create a Chamber in Twilight. It'd just be a Chamber of that physical location. It'd only include Twilight of the relevant "frequency". (Which actuallly sounds pretty interesting for Beasts who have ghosts or spirits as Lair inhabitants, and even more interesting if it's the " frequency" tied to Dreamborn as the Horror would then be in Twilight within its own Lair.)
    Last edited by Tessie; 01-24-2020, 06:13 AM.

Leave a comment:

• nalak42
    replied

Thanks, hadn't heard the term before myself.

Though I didn't see anything in the entry saying the perfected metals can't be forged with in ways that aren't normal aside from traits. You wouldn't be able to make amalgams with them, heramium's desire to mix with everything aside. Aside from that seems like it would be normal use of Beast tricks to forge stuff.

Leave a comment:

• ajf115
    replied
    Probably http://theonyxpath.com/sheer-perfection-signs-of-sorcery-open-development/"]perfected metals[/URL].

You can open one into the Shadow, though, which would also satisfy the 'convert to ephemera and back' thing.

Leave a comment:

• Satchel
    replied
    First things first, what are platonic metals in this sense?

Leave a comment:

• ArcaneArts
    replied
    Originally posted by Aeveth View Post
    Can we expect more books for Beast or the ones we have are the ones we get?
    Working on it.

Leave a comment:

• nalak42
    replied
    Originally posted by Aeveth View Post
    Eventually sure, but I will admit not being aware of any off the top of my head.

Originally posted by Warpwind View Post
    So, how would you go about forging platonic metals as a beast? I mean, you could open a door into twilight and move metal in-and-out till it 'melts' down into it's platonic form?

Beyond that either Anakim or Eshmaki should be able to use atavisms like titanic strenngnth, dragonfire, and mimir's wisdom to further shape it if needed?

That also opens way for further astral forging, like trying to merge astral archetypes with pefect metals, or using Salamander fires in the process.

How would you go about it?
    First things first, what are platonic metals in this sense? Only thing I was able to get were like, tin, lead, and copper; which if you wanted to forge as a Beast I don't see why you'd need more than the normal methods. (Maybe using the Lair tricks to bypass security to a good forge or something.)

Leave a comment:

• Warpwind
    replied
    So, how would you go about forging platonic metals as a beast? I mean, you could open a door into twilight and move metal in-and-out till it 'melts' down into it's platonic form?

Beyond that either Anakim or Eshmaki should be able to use atavisms like titanic strenngnth, dragonfire, and mimir's wisdom to further shape it if needed?

That also opens way for further astral forging, like trying to merge astral archetypes with pefect metals, or using Salamander fires in the process.

How would you go about it?

Leave a comment:

• Aeveth
    replied

Leave a comment:

• HelmsDerp
    replied
    Probably not, given that the human half of the Beast is not immune to their Lair Traits under those circumstances

Leave a comment:

• ajf115
    replied
    If a Beast with the Minions or Thralls Lair Trait is Slumbering, do the Minions/Thralls still obey the human part of the Beast?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X