Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1001 Beast Story Hooks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by The young man in the cafe View Post
    31. A few months ago you fed on the fear of some Hollywood douche bag who had it coming. Except now, your horror is the dumb monstrous sidekick in a freaking kids show! By the Dark Mother, they sell plush dolls of your horror at toy stores, they even put you in a god damn toothpaste commercial. You need to do something about this before you stop being a source of terror forever.
    I dunno, man, the Jersey Devil is a hockey mascot and she gets by fine enough.


    Resident Sanguinary Analyst
    Currently Consuming: Changeling: the Lost 1e

    Comment


    • #32

      Originally posted by Satchel View Post

      I dunno, man, the Jersey Devil is a hockey mascot and she gets by fine enough.

      Doesn't really look like how the books describe the two Jersey Devils, does it? This wouldn't effect the real jersey devils.... but the poor Beast in the story hook I gave just got his own cereal, with a cutesy cereal mascot version of him, he's having some issues.


      Despite the user name I am actually bigender.

      My Savannah Setting for CofD can be found here

      My heroes as monster tamers rules for BtP can be found here

      Comment


      • #33
        33: Setting is Las Vegas. A new Casino opened up and is quickly gaining a lot of traction. The main reason is a strange golden statue that is regularly being showcased around the casion itself and is being advertised as a grand prize.
        The brood notices that people who entered the casino are getting more and more desensitised to their powers and actions as the need to possess that statue takes over every other aspect of their life.
        And it's starting to spread to other people as well - even the land itself seems to be affected.
        Last edited by Zaofy; 10-13-2016, 05:02 AM.

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by The young man in the cafe View Post




          Doesn't really look like how the books describe the two Jersey Devils, does it? This wouldn't effect the real jersey devils.... but the poor Beast in the story hook I gave just got his own cereal, with a cutesy cereal mascot version of him, he's having some issues.
          Really, he's just gotta own it. He's gotta get into the head of the people making the cartoon, make them make the show subtly scarier and full of unexpected nightmare fuel. I mean, "Five Nights at Freddy's" proves that people can be very scared by unintentionally creepy things. (I'm not saying it's good horror, just that it's successful.

          34) One of your broodmate's cousin's friend's friends say something weird in Silicon Valley. Apparently, somehow, all the AR and VR gadgets are letting normal people see into the Astral, and by extension, see people's Horrors. At first, this was awesome, because you could scare people shitless just by stepping into their peripheral vision, until a Hero realized that it made hunting Beasts and recruiting people to help kill them much easier.


          Genius: the Transgression 2E is a thing that's being worked on.

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by malonkey1 View Post

            Really, he's just gotta own it. He's gotta get into the head of the people making the cartoon, make them make the show subtly scarier and full of unexpected nightmare fuel. I mean, "Five Nights at Freddy's" proves that people can be very scared by unintentionally creepy things. (I'm not saying it's good horror, just that it's successful.

            34) One of your broodmate's cousin's friend's friends say something weird in Silicon Valley. Apparently, somehow, all the AR and VR gadgets are letting normal people see into the Astral, and by extension, see people's Horrors. At first, this was awesome, because you could scare people shitless just by stepping into their peripheral vision, until a Hero realized that it made hunting Beasts and recruiting people to help kill them much easier.
            I imagine the recent Oculus shit storm regarding the founder's political beliefs was a boon to the beasts in Silicon Valley.


            Despite the user name I am actually bigender.

            My Savannah Setting for CofD can be found here

            My heroes as monster tamers rules for BtP can be found here

            Comment


            • #36
              Old Family Recipe

              35)
              You've loved grandma's cooking for as long as you can remember, and now she's deemed you worthy to inherit her secret recipes which you may pass onto your own descendants some day. Most of the ingredients are pretty straight forward, except for one item on the list. The primary ingredients in your family's recipes are children (it seems grandma is a Predator), and you're fresh out of stock at the moment.


              Woodland Critters

              36) While taking a walk through the forest last night, you met some kin out in the wilds. At least, you think they were kin, because they certainly didn't feel like any natural animals you've ever met. They seemed to be friendly and welcoming enough to you, even offering to accept you into their group. You were even considering visiting them again until you received a letter in the mail the very next morning.

              "You've been cordially invited to the annual blood orgy this Saturday!"

              On the back of the note, you realize are directions leading back through the forest, along with an extra ticket for a guest of your choosing.
              Last edited by Nyrufa; 10-13-2016, 02:47 PM.

              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by The young man in the cafe View Post




                Doesn't really look like how the books describe the two Jersey Devils, does it? This wouldn't effect the real jersey devils.... but the poor Beast in the story hook I gave just got his own cereal, with a cutesy cereal mascot version of him, he's having some issues.
                Do you think Frankenberry cereal makes Verney less menacing?


                "A free society is one in which it is safe to be unpopular."
                I find Nick Spencer and Richard Spencer to be equally repulsive.

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by Mangle77 View Post

                  Do you think Frankenberry cereal makes Verney less menacing?
                  Nope, but Prometheans operate off a different set of rules regarding what people think of them. But I agree with Malonkey, turn the show into nightmare fuel.

                  37. The Incarnate apex of the local hive has gone on a trip for a while and has left your brood instructions regarding how their assets are to be managed in their absence. While you are going over their financials, you see a large amount of money being paid to an ordinary mortal every month, but why would the apex be giving that much cash to some seemingly unimportant smuck and can this info help you become the apex before they get back and did the apex want you to find that info?

                  38. A local corporate heiress has some how found out what your brood is and volunteered to be the princess in your lair, organizing your collector's loot and that sort of thing. It seems her rich daddy is trying to force her to marry a self absorbed man that she hates and after learning that her would be finance is an experienced hero, she figured a fake kidnapping by a brood of beasts would be just the way to lure him into a trap and get rid of him.

                  Help her, and the brood might just wind up with a wealthy servant who owes them big time but the hero in question is quite dangerous and cunning and she is used to a certain standard of living... is she really worth the trouble?
                  Last edited by The young man in the cafe; 10-14-2016, 12:42 PM.


                  Despite the user name I am actually bigender.

                  My Savannah Setting for CofD can be found here

                  My heroes as monster tamers rules for BtP can be found here

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    39) Your brood has recently gained a new member, one whose Horror is an Uratha. Not just your average, everyday werewolf, but explicitly one of the half-spirit Forsaken Werewolves. What the Hell is going on here? Did some poor wolf get lost in the Astral and piggyback into somebody's head? Is he just an expression of mythic symbolisms that just happens to line up with the Forsaken?

                    40) You've heard some whispers from an Ogre friend that there's a new escapee in the local Freehold. One who claims he escaped by merging with a monster in a way that's eerily similar to a Devouring. He's clearly not a Begotten, but he's not quite a Changeling, either.

                    41) You've made friends with one of those "Skinchanger" types, what with the magic animal pelt, specifically a lion's pelt. Turns out, "oops," he was Wolf-blooded, and managed to experience his first Change while in lion form. Your Forsaken friends want you to turn him over, probably either to fix him or kill his ass, but unique Kin like him don't exactly roll along every Tuesday.
                    Last edited by malonkey1; 10-16-2016, 12:05 PM.


                    Genius: the Transgression 2E is a thing that's being worked on.

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      42) The last guy your Nemesis fed on was scared out of his mind by whatever you did to him. But he seems to have learned his lesson. But now he's starting to teach other people in the community to stay away from it. Feeding gets a lot more complicated, especially after what he does takes on cult-like forms when others whom you have fed on join in and start to revere your Horror.
                      It gets worse when they start to get violent and beat up/kill/burn down buildings that you feed on/in and all the commotion starts to draw in heroes.

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        43) There’s something going on in the Lairs of the Beasts of Chicago. They’re becoming… regular. Patterned, like a row of cookie-cutter houses in a suburb. Trees in an endless forest become identical, all their branches at the same heights and angles. The storms in a wild ocean blow in at 3:34 every afternoon, precisely. Firestorms swirl in precise Golden Spirals. Even the Horrors are becoming regular and stereotyped. They’re losing identity, individuality. Can the players uncover the cause of the problem and uproot it, or will the atavistic fear of Chicago’s Dream become banal and trite?


                        This is my way of making the Chicago Workings Adventure work for Beast.
                        Last edited by ajf115; 10-19-2016, 05:49 AM.


                        Comment


                        • #42
                          44) One of your friends, a wizard, has been going nuts about some kind of "door". He thinks that if it can be charged with the right energies, he can open it to a timeline where Atlantis had never been erased. Eventually, you got him to slow down enough to explain that the last piece he needs is the "essence of Primordial Fear" which sounds right up your alley. He's given you an amulet and told you to feed 'till you're full, but he's been acting real funny. What's really going on here?


                          Genius: the Transgression 2E is a thing that's being worked on.

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            An author of Horror stories, who always drew inspiration from his own nightmares. People loved his books: they were somehow more intense, more real than most of the competition.
                            Then, he was gone, for the better part of a decade. Some said writer's block took another victim, others said he just earned enough and wanted to live out the rest of his life in peace. Some fans claimed the publisher cut him off for one reason or another.
                            The truth was very different, of course.
                            When his next book had been published, the fans rejoiced. "Succesfully reinvented himself", they called it. This was not just because the writing was better than ever. One way or another, he hit a nerve with his new style. Soon enough, even mainstream media took notice of how the visceral disgust he now evoked with his stories was morbidly fascinating. Readers wanted to put the book down, but simply couldn't. Of course, critics laughed at the "horribly stereotypical monster design". However, when the dark came, they, too, switched on the lights in every room.
                            Rumour had it that the stories hit some people harder than others; some had outright panic-attacks while reading, some had horrible nightmares for weeks after they finished reading. Those hit the hardest suffered from delusions of something crawling under their skin. It was not long before the first people died, running headlong into traffic, panicking, fleeing a figment of imagination.
                            The books stopped being produced, but those already out circulated. Youths dared each other to read it. The most prized books were those who were signed.
                            All critics received signed copies.
                            Now, one way or another, you got one, too.

                            This Namtaru is very strange - and powerful. Which he demonstrates by showing up in the Brood's Lair uninvited, but making it feel like he always belonged to them.
                            One way or another, he found a way to not just store Nightmares in objects, but to turn the books themselves into an extension of his horror: anywhere his books are, he is, too.
                            However, whatever he did, it sends out enourmous ripples, attracting heroes to him like bees round a honeypot. Too many for him to deal with, in the long term.
                            Turning to your group for help, he promises to share his secret with them in exchange for a grisly favour.

                            The question is: CAN they help? Will they be able to do what they have to before Chicago is swarmed by Heroes?
                            And can they trust him? Or should they sacrifice him to save their own hide?
                            Last edited by Wormwood; 10-24-2016, 11:01 AM. Reason: sentence wasn't finished -.-

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Originally posted by Wormwood View Post
                              An author of Horror stories, who always drew inspiration from his own nightmares. People loved his books: they were somehow more intense, more real than most of the competition.
                              Then, he was gone, for the better part of a decade. Some said writer's block took another victim, others said he just earned enough and wanted to live out the rest of his life in peace. Some fans claimed the publisher cut him off for one reason or another.
                              The truth was very different, of course.
                              When his next book had been published, the fans rejoiced. "Succesfully reinvented himself", they called it. This was not just because the writing was better than ever. One way or another, he hit a nerve with his new style. Soon enough, even mainstream media took notice of how the visceral disgust he now evoked with his stories was morbidly fascinating. Readers wanted to put the book down, but simply couldn't. Of course, critics laughed at the "horribly stereotypical monster design". However, when the dark came, they, too, switched on the lights in every room.
                              Rumour had it that the stories hit some people harder than others; some had outright panic-attacks while reading, some had horrible nightmares for weeks after they finished reading. Those hit the hardest suffered from delusions of something crawling under their skin. It was not long before the first people died, running headlong into traffic, panicking, fleeing a figment of imagination.
                              The books stopped being produced, but those already out circulated. Youths dared each other to read it. The most prized books were those who were signed.
                              All critics received signed copies.
                              Now, one way or another, you got one, too.

                              This Namtaru is very strange - and powerful. Which he demonstrates by showing up in the Brood's Lair uninvited, but making it feel like he always belonged to them.
                              One way or another, he found a way to not just store Nightmares in objects, but to turn the books themselves into an extension of his horror: anywhere his books are, he is, too.
                              However, whatever he did, it sends out enourmous ripples, attracting heroes to him like bees round a honeypot. Too many for him to deal with, in the long term.
                              Turning to your group for help, he promises to share his secret with them in exchange for a grisly favour.

                              The question is: CAN they help? Will they be able to do what they have to before Chicago is swarmed by Heroes?
                              And can they trust him? Or should they sacrifice him to save their own hide?
                              I love it! Sounds absolutely epic, and a fantastic beginning for a chronicle.


                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Originally posted by Wormwood View Post
                                An author of Horror stories, who always drew inspiration from his own nightmares. People loved his books: they were somehow more intense, more real than most of the competition.
                                Then, he was gone, for the better part of a decade. Some said writer's block took another victim, others said he just earned enough and wanted to live out the rest of his life in peace. Some fans claimed the publisher cut him off for one reason or another.
                                The truth was very different, of course.
                                When his next book had been published, the fans rejoiced. "Succesfully reinvented himself", they called it. This was not just because the writing was better than ever. One way or another, he hit a nerve with his new style. Soon enough, even mainstream media took notice of how the visceral disgust he now evoked with his stories was morbidly fascinating. Readers wanted to put the book down, but simply couldn't. Of course, critics laughed at the "horribly stereotypical monster design". However, when the dark came, they, too, switched on the lights in every room.
                                Rumour had it that the stories hit some people harder than others; some had outright panic-attacks while reading, some had horrible nightmares for weeks after they finished reading. Those hit the hardest suffered from delusions of something crawling under their skin. It was not long before the first people died, running headlong into traffic, panicking, fleeing a figment of imagination.
                                The books stopped being produced, but those already out circulated. Youths dared each other to read it. The most prized books were those who were signed.
                                All critics received signed copies.
                                Now, one way or another, you got one, too.

                                This Namtaru is very strange - and powerful. Which he demonstrates by showing up in the Brood's Lair uninvited, but making it feel like he always belonged to them.
                                One way or another, he found a way to not just store Nightmares in objects, but to turn the books themselves into an extension of his horror: anywhere his books are, he is, too.
                                However, whatever he did, it sends out enourmous ripples, attracting heroes to him like bees round a honeypot. Too many for him to deal with, in the long term.
                                Turning to your group for help, he promises to share his secret with them in exchange for a grisly favour.

                                The question is: CAN they help? Will they be able to do what they have to before Chicago is swarmed by Heroes?
                                And can they trust him? Or should they sacrifice him to save their own hide?
                                Reminds me of In the Mouth of Madness.


                                Genius templates (for Demon: the Descent)

                                Rakshasa: the Kingdom (Featuring the Extinction Chronicle) [WIP]

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X