Jingoism and Heroes, plausibility, and tastefulness

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jingoism and Heroes, plausibility, and tastefulness

Wanted to ask anyone else think that a hero that is Jingoistic, that is to say, fanatically nationalistic, is an implausible combination, seen people like the officer on some movie where their geneticly engineering a plague, or the captain on Crimson tide.

as what greater peversion of good intentions could their be, then Jingoism?

If I'm following your line of thinking then I think you're on to something. A Hero who starts out as a decent person, perhaps not a saint but with good intentions could be a great character. History is full of people who fought the good fight against forces that were monstrous and before it was all over their moral compass was so skewed that they became regarded as monstrous in many circles even if they did the world a favor by combating or defeating worthy enemies.

The cop who starts out serving and protecting and slips into the cowboy warrior culture that is incapable of seeing any excess in the pursuit of justice.

The soldier who takes part in massacres to dig out an enemy deeply embedded among civilians or to punish the civilians for hiding enemies.

Those are the two all too real clich├ęs of the world we really live in. Names like MacArthur and Sherman are celebrated for their accomplishments in defeating objectively terrible enemies but also condemned themselves in some circles for alleged horror perpetrated with the justification of using some horror to prevent greater horror. Regardless of what judgment of history one thinks is appropriate for such individuals, history's greatest heroes are frequently someone's monster and as such good models for Beast's Heroes if you want to tell a morally complex tale.

Comment

One relatively little known incident with Mccarthur, is a case where some troops commited mass rape acting as a unit. breaking into a apt complex, sabotaging its phone systems so they couldnt call for help.

Mccarthur reacted by A: Killing the men involced and B: Shushing the incident up

Also Mccarrthey,, is an even stronger case, and he really embodys patriotism taken to unhealthy extremes, he went on a crusade against communism and took I dare not guess how many innocent lives.

Comment

I think a jingoistic Hero is plausible enough, but his jingoism would have to be thoroughly bound up with his Herodom. Like, say, of the sample Heroes, we've got a soldier in search of a purpose, who couldn't handle the relatively directionless nature of peacetime, so turns his quest into warfare. The fedora dude is sexist, but he expresses that sexism in large part through faux chivalry, which parallels his knight errant/class entitlement view of hunting Beasts. The Christian Hero sees Beasts as demons from Hell that have supplanted humans.

So a jingoistic Hero would likely conflate their nationalism with their anti-Beast feelings. If he's American, you might take a leaf from the Sleepy Hollow mythos: America's founding was an act of humanism and enlightenment, a means for humankind's better angels to be exalted, and a direct affront to the atavistic superstitions of the past that Beasts represent. Other countries might go for a more general civilisation vs barbarism view.

Comment

is a jingoistic hero bad taste, or is a jingoistic antaganist in general bad taste, as it could come accross as offensive im well aware...

Comment

So long as your players don't have a personal beef with it and you don't play it like anyone who's of a certain nation and proud to it is like that, I think you should be good.

Comment

Oh curious, another question?

is it reasonable for a Hero to be connected with the beaasts choice of prey in some way... I know they tried to tone down any implications of heroes arising from beasts actions, but one reason that is kind of bad, is a ST I talked with said "Give you a Hero from the nigerian royal family" as a joke when I was thinking about making a beast who hunts scammers and their victims, their victims he usualy just straightens out... the scammers... arent always that lucky.

But is that kind of counterpart reasonable for the kinds of storys beast is designed for or...

Say my beast goes around tackling religious frauds, is it reasonable for a Hero to arise "from the flock" not knowing that his role as a shepherd is as protecting men every bit as much scum as the beasts preying on them?

(Sorry, put my laptop on hibernate and forgot about it for a month then found this half completed post)

Comment

sorry to bump this old thread but was a bit curious?

Think extrajudicial punishment in military barracks like we see in "a few good men" Works as a 'lesson'?

how well's colonoel jessup work as a beast?

Comment

Working...
                X