Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Begotten and Hopeful: What do Beasts think of Princesses?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Begotten and Hopeful: What do Beasts think of Princesses?

Over on the Princess forums we're discussed what Princesses think of Beasts a few times (Princess is "a storytelling game of fighting fear", the conclusion is obvious) but I'm feeling aimlessly curious about the other side of that equation. What do Beasts think about Princesses?

I thought I would ask the experts here.

“There are no rules. Only Principles and natural laws.” - Promethius
    My Homebrew no longer fits in a signature, you can find an index of it here.
    Full length fan-books I contributed too: Princess: the Hopeful, Leviathan: the Tempest, Dream Catchers

If I were going to do a Princess/Beast game, Princesses would be "heroes gone right," the beast's mirror opposites and twin siblings.

Comment

I personally like to imagine it's an uneasy relationship, but that there is a relationship all the same-Beasts can still count the Nobles as family, and might see them as the better half of Heroes, while the Princesses feel ill at-ease but easily see where the expectations fall.

They each have seen far worse, and while their relationship speak to antithesis, those darker spheres reveal the place for the other. Uncomfortable, but workable-and isn't that the way with family and hope?

Sean K.I.W. Steele, Freelance Writer
      Work Blog Coming Soon
      The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey

Comment

Really it depends on the Beast, I'd imagine. As StSword said, I can imagine that Begotten Ocultists might attempt to argue that the Hopeful are the Children's equals and opposites, born from the Bright Dream, possibly attempting to make parallels between the Tranformed State and a Begotten who's called down their Lair or merged with their Horror. One emotion that might come up among the Children is jealousy. After all, they're forced to hurt people to feed their Hunger; sure, they use the framework of lessons to try to lessen the impact, but in the end they either hurt people consciously or they let themselves grow Starving and hurt people anyway. The Nobility instead "Feed" through heroism and making the world a better place, by making people happier and safer. Why? Why should they get to have it so easy? I mean, the Radiant do not have it easy in the slightest, but we're talking perception, not facts. At the same time, the Princesses can be a source of hope to the Children. After all, Family Dinner allows one to Feed through facilitating the feeding of Kin, and the Nobility, again, feed by making the world a better place. A Beast at odd with their nature might be able to find a way out... provided the Noble they approach doesn't mistake them for a Darkspawn and try to execute or "fix" them.

Speaking of Kinship, one aspect that will influence the question is your thoughts therein. Is the idea of them being Kin disgust you, do you have some special idea for it, what?

And finally, I imagine you could easily draw some parallels between Mirrors and Heroes.

Comment

Thanks for the replies all.

Originally posted by ArcaneArts View Post
          but workable-and isn't that the way with family and hope?
          I can't speak for anyone else, but there's very little "dark" in my familal relationships.

Lucky me

[edit] Wait, Did I just answer a rhetorical question?

Originally posted by ZealousChristian24 View Post
          or "fix" them.
          You read Ride to Damascus?

They were origonally an idea I had for Princesses, and the Embassy to Stories can Talecraft.

Speaking of Kinship, one aspect that will influence the question is your thoughts therein. Is the idea of them being Kin disgust you, do you have some special idea for it, what?
          Disgust? No. I feel Kinship gives a little too much mechanical support to the Begotten's theory that all monsters are related, but... Why on Earth would I be disgusted?

And finally, I imagine you could easily draw some parallels between Mirrors and Heroes.
          Well obviously
          Save
          Save
          Last edited by The Kings Raven; 08-08-2016, 03:42 PM.

Full length fan-books I contributed too: Princess: the Hopeful, Leviathan: the Tempest, Dream Catchers

Comment

I was interested in this idea as well and spun it as Beast and Princesses are usually at ends with each other over their mirrored nature. Though do find similar goals between their enemies and there is no doubt a strong Hero may have attempted to Kidnap and take his 'blessing' from a Princess by force. A Beast might come into conflict with the nightmare creatures the Hopeful fight, there is nothing wrong with fear if you learn from it but there is a status quo. They may find kinship with each other, some of their abilities parallel.

Would a Hero appear to have no Hope of coming back or are they more of a living nightmare?

Comment

I'd think Storms, at least, would slot them into the "BURN IT" category. Princesses fight fear, and Beasts basically are fear-given-form. At least enough for Storms to say "too much like a Darkspawn to take chances".

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
              Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

Question, which category has the title "Princess?"

Comment

Originally posted by nalak42 View Post
                  Question, which category has the title "Princess?"
                  Princess: the Hopeful. It's a fangame, click my sig.

Comment

Originally posted by The Kings Raven View Post

Princess: the Hopeful. It's a fangame, click my sig.
                    Ah okay, when you mentioned forum and with all the different sobriquets different splats have I couldn't be sure if that wasn't a title attached to a different splat on the Onyx Path forums.

Comment

Originally posted by Vent0 View Post
                      I'd think Storms, at least, would slot them into the "BURN IT" category. Princesses fight fear, and Beasts basically are fear-given-form. At least enough for Storms to say "too much like a Darkspawn to take chances".
                      Or worse yet, they might decide that Beasts are enough of a lesser evil for a temporary alliance, before turning on them and brutally murdering them.

Genius: the Transgression 2E is a thing that's being worked on.

Comment

It could depend on the way the story is told. With Beasts and Princesses there is an increased chance that the Hero antagonist will try to come and save the day. Depending on the "heroes" actions the Princess might view him as an utter brute and instead encourage the Beast to slay the hero (which would be kind of entertaining to watch).

"A dark shape crawls out from your closet. At first it looks like it has a large zipper for a mouth, however as it gets closer you soon realize that it isn't a zipper at all but rows of sharp yellow teeth!"

Comment

Originally posted by Werescythe View Post
                          the Princess might view him as an utter brute and instead encourage the Beast to slay the hero (which would be kind of entertaining to watch).
                          It would have to be a pretty low Belief Princess to choose murder over incarcaration or hospitalisation.

Comment

Originally posted by The Kings Raven View Post
                            It would have to be a pretty low Belief Princess to choose murder over incarcaration or hospitalisation.
                            That runs into the problem of whether Heroes can be cured, though.

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
                            Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

Still. They can certainly be jailed.

Comment

Working...
                              X