Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Homebrew heroic gifts

Hey guys,

Here are two heroic gifts I created for an NPC in my campaign, and I thought I'd share for you to use or provide feedback on. I have ideas for a few others so I might add to the list later on

Animal Companion:

While many Heroes attract followers, they know humans are fallible beings, who can be turned against them. A well trained animal, on the other hand, displays a loyalty beyond measure. This gift can apply to a single animal at a time. Common targets for it include dogs, birds of prey, and horses, although any animal which could theoretically be trained can qualify. The animal shares some of the Hero's supernatural endurance, and heals as per "Hard to Kill" on page 206. Furthermore, it is very reticent to external suggestion, and attempt to influence its behavior through natural or supernatural means receive a -3 penalty to the relevant rolls. A Hero can communicate with her animal companion through silent gestures or simple words, and never needs to roll to provide it with instruction. The Companion will comply with any request, even those which can put it in danger, as long as it somewhat able to understand them. "Get inside here and break everything" is a suitable request. "Get to the Leviathan's house and destroy his PC" isn't. If an animal companion dies, the hero can acquire a new one after a day of training the replacement.

Trapper:

Some Heroes do not need a blade or a gun to represent a lethal danger to Beasts. A Hero with this gift can improvise traps from almost any natural materials, creating snares and pitfalls which blend with the environment. After an hour of preparation, a Hero with this gift can create a trap which inflicts three points of lethal damage, and requires a Dexterity+Larceny roll at a -3 penalty to be avoided. Alternatively, the trap can ensnare its target, imposing a -3 penalty to all rolls made to escape from it. The trap can also be used to place an Anathema on a Beast, if it successfully inflicts damage.

Here's a stupid one I wrote a while back. I changed a few little things according to popular demands.

Gaston's Choreography
    Legends and tales have been told through songs for generations, but the worthy Hero can create songs in order to tell legends worthy of them.
    A Hero can activate Gaston's Choreography by spending 1 willpower in the presence of a Beast suffering from an Anathema. As long as she sings and dances about the Beast's monstrous nature and/or her own heroic ways, she benefits from her Expression as bonus dice to any action performed. As long as this power is active, the Beast is forced to answer on key and performance. No matter how much they protest, they're part of the musical now. The Beast can spend 1 willpower to act normally for a turn.

Directly attacking the Beast breaks the effect of Gaston's Choreography. For example, leading the monster in a trap would benefit from it, but as soon as the hero tries to land the killing blow the effect would dissipate.

Glorious Useless-Post Prana
    Cost: 2m; Mins: Linguistics 1, Essence 1 Type: Simple
    Keywords: Mute
    Duration: Instant
    Prerequisite Charms: Ten-Characters Methodology

Comment

Originally posted by Magnum Opus View Post
      Here's a stupid one I wrote a while back. I changed a few little things according to popular demands.

Gaston's Choreography
      Legends and tales have been told through songs for generations, but the worthy Hero can create songs in order to tell legends worthy of them.
      A Hero can activate Gaston's Choreography by spending 1 willpower in the presence of a Beast suffering from an Anathema. As long as she sings and dances about the Beast's monstrous nature and/or her own heroic ways, she benefits from her Expression as bonus dice to any action performed. As long as this power is active, the Beast is forced to answer on key and performance. No matter how much they protest, they're part of the musical now. The Beast can spend 1 willpower to act normally for a turn.

Directly attacking the Beast breaks the effect of Gaston's Choreography. For example, leading the monster in a trap would benefit from it, but as soon as the hero tries to land the killing blow the effect would dissipate.

Was going to ask where Gaston Dances throughout the whole movie, then remembered they did a little musical scene in the tavern.

on heroes in general I heard their was a backlash, against them when the inital draft was published anyone have any links concerning that?

Comment

From what I remember, most of it was either lost in the massive "Beast the primordial" thread (with over 1000 replies, prior to the subforum's creation) or it happened on RPG.net and 4chan and reddit.

No real links or help for you Prince of the Night

Glorious Useless-Post Prana
        Cost: 2m; Mins: Linguistics 1, Essence 1 Type: Simple
        Keywords: Mute
        Duration: Instant
        Prerequisite Charms: Ten-Characters Methodology

Comment

This is one I've been thinking about for a while.

The Hero's Reward
          The Hero believes themselves entitled to have someone join them, a life won for the lives they protect. The Hero takes a mundane human they know personally as their reward. That person gains three Experience that can be spent on Skills and/or Merits that will assist the Hero, including Supernatural Merits. They also gain a version of the Charmed Condition towards the Hero that is Persistent and does not resolve.

The Hero may take this gift multiple times, taking a different reward each time. When the Hero dies, all people affected shed their Charmed Conditions and lose the Skills and/or Merits they gained.

Comment

Originally posted by mp122984 View Post
            This is one I've been thinking about for a while.

The Hero's Reward
            The Hero believes themselves entitled to have someone join them, a life won for the lives they protect. The Hero takes a mundane human they know personally as their reward. That person gains three Experience that can be spent on Skills and/or Merits that will assist the Hero, including Supernatural Merits. They also gain a version of the Charmed Condition towards the Hero that is Persistent and does not resolve.

The Hero may take this gift multiple times, taking a different reward each time. When the Hero dies, all people affected shed their Charmed Conditions and lose the Skills and/or Merits they gained.
            That's cool. And kind of scary at the same time. You might want to make the EXP thing a bit bigger, or else give then a Heroic Gift of their own instead, though.

Is it presumptuous of me to ask for alternating male/female pronouns?

Comment

Working...
            X