Beast Slashers?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beast Slashers?

Now this was kind of an idea I came up with that might seem pretty crazy but has anyone considered the idea of having a Beast also be a Slasher? When I say slasher I mean like the slashers from the WoD Hunter: Vigil book, Slashers. Basically according that the book slashers are serial killers who may or may not have supernatural powers making them into unstoppable killing machines (like Jason, from Friday the 13th).

I guess the other question to ask is since some slashers are mutants could they ally with a beast or would this not work?

"A dark shape crawls out from your closet. At first it looks like it has a large zipper for a mouth, however as it gets closer you soon realize that it isn't a zipper at all but rows of sharp yellow teeth!"

Well while Slashers I fear are such wonderful antagonists thanks to their ambiguity about being either fully human or "mostly" human, there's nothing stopping a Beast as written in the core book from going around being a serial killer. Hell, one might grow a mighty fine Legend that way (Or be super killed by a Band of Heroes, VASCU, or just a pissed off Brood who fears being targeted by the former.)

Take for instance the fact that Beasts can and often do form Kinship with Slashers. This hints at the Slasher's monstrous transformation (either literally or metaphorically, same difference to a Beast anyways) and allows Beasts to study what hungers drive regular humans who's lust for violence consumes their very being.

Comment

I don't really see what would make a "Beast + Slasher" different to a "Beast who's horror happens to be a slasher".

Comment

Originally posted by milo v3 View Post
        I don't really see what would make a "Beast + Slasher" different to a "Beast who's horror happens to be a slasher".
        Not much, really. Now a Beast whose kid brother is Michael Meyers, and who gets kinda exasperated by the guy but takes him out for kidmeat-burgers after a night of butchery because eh he's family, right? That's good stuff.

Revlid wrote:
        Yes, hollowing out your humanity to become an utterly utilitarian asura is the exact suggestion I would expect from you, Aiden.

Comment

Originally posted by Aiden View Post

Not much, really. Now a Beast whose kid brother is Michael Meyers, and who gets kinda exasperated by the guy but takes him out for kidmeat-burgers after a night of butchery because eh he's family, right? That's good stuff.
          You see, it's things like this that bum me out that White Wolf is focusing exclusively on WoD for transmedia stuff.

I want my black comedy horror sitcom.

Words of Wisdom from the Forums:
          "Don't be unlucky and get dead by a wolf-man."
          "Most of the current eras are too modern, we need 'Dark Eras: The electroweak epoch'."

Comment

I guess maybe what I was asking was is it okay for a Beast to use the merits that a Slasher would use.

"A dark shape crawls out from your closet. At first it looks like it has a large zipper for a mouth, however as it gets closer you soon realize that it isn't a zipper at all but rows of sharp yellow teeth!"

Comment

I would not, simply because the Slasher book is 1e HtV material and may be incompatable with 2e rules, let alone another template.

Two are absolute impossible to take, simply because they references the Code, a Hunter specific Integrity equivalent. The combat merits, meanwhile have either a 2e equivalent in the core or in Hurt Locker, or simply don't work with the way Tilts apply now. And I will argue that Murder Expert is unthematically appropriate for Beast, because beast killers need to feed their hunger on their prey's fear. That doesn't happen with what amounts to a sneaky assassination technique.

That said, its entirely in the hands of the ST. You're going to need to do some converting if its allowed, so keep that in mind.

Comment

Originally posted by MCN View Post
                And I will argue that Murder Expert is unthematically appropriate for Beast, because beast killers need to feed their hunger on their prey's fear.
                In that case the prey wouldn't be the person murdered, it'd be the loved ones of the person murdered.

Comment

In that case the prey wouldn't be the person murdered, it'd be the loved ones of the person murdered.
                  I'm picturing a Beast that takes up the role as a classic, teen-slashin' killer. He lets himself get close to starving, just so he can pick off the kids at the camp one by one and gorge himself off the fears of those remaining. This guy doesn't Feed to live. He lives to Feed.

Words of Wisdom from the Forums:
                  "Don't be unlucky and get dead by a wolf-man."
                  "Most of the current eras are too modern, we need 'Dark Eras: The electroweak epoch'."

Comment

That.... is still difficult. Why throw out a good feast in front of you, before you have to go out and find a family that's quite possibly not around? Or lets not forget we can make two meals out of this - once at killing, once at delivering the news. I mean, its not like that there's not a similar merit in Werewolf (Efficent Killer), so I'm not going to argue that we're dealing with something overpowered or anything. I just think that its not something very appropriate for Beast. Being an efficient killer just doesn't feel thmatically appropriate to me. YMMV.
                    Last edited by MCN; 10-16-2016, 09:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MCN View Post
                      That.... is still difficult. Why throw out a good feast in front of you, before you have to go out and find a family that's quite possibly not around? Or lets not forget we can make two meals out of this - once at killing, once at delivering the news. I mean, its not like that there's not a similar merit in Werewolf (Efficent Killer), so I'm not going to argue that we're dealing with something overpowered or anything. I just think that its not something very appropriate for Beast. Being an efficient killer just doesn't feel thmatically appropriate to me. YMMV.
                      I think a Beast that fed this way - I mean killing people to feast on the fear/pain of their loved ones - would be a Ravager rather than a Predator. A community looking for the killer within, tearing itself apart with suspicions, eroding itself by hiding from the events and activities that bind it together, makes an unusual but feasible take on Ruin. I still wouldn't give them Slasher merits, though.

Comment

I'm going to stand by my statement; still feels unthematic. Even if you go with that kind of Hunger Ruin, you'll still get more out of it from a prolonged chase than being an efficent killer. In fact, you'll get more out of letting people live but feel unsafe rather than actually killing someone. You'll not only want to spread out the deaths more, but abduct people that go missing before releasing the dead body. And you'll want to spend your time making the community fear the shadows rather than attacking the shadows with efficent kills.

Comment

I'd say there's nothing wrong with a Beast being a serial killer, even one that takes a lot of cues from the idea of a slasher, but making a capital letters Beast Slasher probably isn't the way to go. For one thing while it is completely possible to throw Slasher merits onto a major splat they tend not to fit well, just like throwing Mage merits on a Vampire or Changeling merits on a Mummy. Moreover, as mentioned, they're kind of unnecessary.

I'd also make the argument that Slashers are close enough to a template in their own right that they qualify as Kin, and while a Beast can have a strong Family Resemblance to Kin they're not actually that Kin. In other words a Beast cannot be a Slasher any more than they can be a Werewolf.

That being said, what I think would work better is homebrewing some Slasher kinship powers that accomplish what you want out of the Slasher rules in a way that's more compatible with Beast.

Comment

Originally posted by Caitiff Primogen View Post
                            I'd also make the argument
                            No argument necessary. Slashers officially qualify for being Kin.

Comment

I recall the Slasher book stating that the Slasher template is only available to non-supernatural characters and hunters. Meaning, if you have any of the supernatural templates (Vampire, Changeling, Beast, etc) you can't also get the Slasher template.
                              They had a reasoning that explained that while a monster might be murdering people, even very much like a serial killer, it isn't actually doing anything outside of its nature. The monster is still behaving like a monster and they already have powers and advantages of their own that enhance their murder-y activities.
                              The thing that makes the Slasher a Slasher is that it's a human behaving like a monster.

Besides, Beasts - of course depending on how you create them - are kind of powerful. Adding the Slasher template (even the RAW 1st edition ones) would threaten balance a bit.

Comment

Working...
                              X