So, Aging

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So, Aging

We got to final version of Beast: the Primordial, a little beaten up by all the revisions but hopefully ready for more once the supplements start coming out! But one thing in the final version of the corebook made me a bit sad to see still there: how ambiguously the game handles Beasts aging. I was content with just kinda ignoring it at first, but seeing the Changeling 2e previews and how thoroughly the writers touched on longevity there has left me craving answers.

How it works, to my understanding, is that a Beast ages normally from Devouring all the way up to Lair 5. Then upon reaching Lair 6 their lifespan suddenly shoots up by 50 years. A little awkward in my opinion, but more importantly it leaves some logistical concerns that I have to answer if I'm ever going to run Beast. Do the results of any aging they underwent before this point get pulled back, undone? Do they look any different afterward, younger?

And what about the Inheritances? I know at least one writer said something about forgetting to put anything in about aging with them, and it's not in the final product as far as I can tell, but do the three Inheritances impact your lifespan any?

Curious mind(s) want to know.

Revlid wrote:
    Yes, hollowing out your humanity to become an utterly utilitarian asura is the exact suggestion I would expect from you, Aiden.

I would say the longevity boost doesn't start making them younger (unless they're some sort of Countess Bathory monster). I think when you reach Lair 6 you've started to become so iconic, so much a feature of the local dreamscape / subconscious that it makes you kind of sticky / semi-permement. Like the way a popular enough expression wont fade. People no longer call something "wicked" to mean cool, but they still say "they couldn't care less". The weight of expectation, the way you've become PART of popular culture or mindset affords you the longevity, in my mind. But the staying power granted you by being so iconic doesn't make you younger. That would be fighting against its own principle. The iconic image of you is based around who you are. If there's an old, witch who bakes children in her oven to devour them, then she's going to stay an old witch, not start becoming a young one. Maybe if there's some reason why the version of you that establishes itself in people minds is younger than the real you, the longevity might manifest as growing younger, but I think normally it just preserves you as you are because that's the version that has become iconic.

All of the above is just head-cannon, btw. But it works for me and fits the rules.
    Last edited by knasser; 10-14-2016, 06:14 AM.

Fnord!

Comment

Originally posted by knasser View Post
      I would say the longevity boost doesn't start making them younger (unless they're some sort of Countess Bathory monster). I think when you reach Lair 6 you've started to become so iconic, so much a feature of the local dreamscape / subconscious that it makes you kind of sticky / semi-permement. Like the way a popular enough expression wont fade. People no longer call something "wicked" to mean cool, but they still say "they couldn't care less". The weight of expectation, the way you've become PART of popular culture or mindset affords you the longevity, in my mind. But the staying power granted you by being so iconic doesn't make you younger. That would be fighting against its own principle. The iconic image of you is based around who you are. If there's an old, witch who bakes children in her oven to devour them, then she's going to stay an old witch, not start becoming a young one. Maybe if there's some reason why the version of you that establishes itself in people minds is younger than the real you, the longevity might manifest as growing younger, but I think normally it just preserves you as you are.

All of the above is just head-cannon, btw. But it works for me and fits the rules.
      Makes sense to me. Also, I like the idea that Beasts subtly change over time, in ways like this, to be kind of like the Horror, and the Inheritances (especially the Retreat and the Incarnation) are kind of like ways of accelerating or enhancing this process.

Is it presumptuous of me to ask for alternating male/female pronouns?

Comment

Why set things in stone when the answer is best set by individual tables? It depends on the needs of your story, when you get right down to it. And, to be frank, your physical appearance is likely going to be informed by your Horror anyways. A super strong old lady witch Gorgon should age differently than a seductive siren-style Leviathan with elder-god tentacles for hair, and both should be different from how a dragoness ages.

As for why you start aging less at Lair 6? That's the point when your supernatural nature starts breaking free from your human shell in every game. Stats can go beyond 6, etc. This is an extension of that philosophy.

In Changeling, aging matters a bit more, thanks to stories like Rip Van Winkle and other fairy tales. Aging among the fae is something rather critical to not only the stories in real life, but also in the game, because of the whole temporal flexibility when one of the Lost come home. As a result, it gets a bit more detail in the core book.

Comment

Apparently every dot of Lair beyond 5th adds 50 years to your life span. Assuming the maximum rating is 10, that adds 250 years for a full powered Beast.

The longest living humans on record managed to reach 122 years old before they finally died.

So, assuming the Beast is extremely healthy, their maximum life span is roughly 370 years.

Comment

Working...
          X