No announcement yet.

Fae Enitites

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes It would be an interesting Mad, Soulless, or Privateer Changeling.

Comment

Because Drizzt Do'Urden has made the modern concept of dark elves being beautiful and sensual. I thought I would include the folktale version of dark elves.
      The Dark Elves, also known by their ancient Norse name Dökkálfar, are a sinister subspecies of elf found in many fantasy settings and having their origins in ancient Norse mythology where they were named Svartálfar ("Swart Elves" or "black elves" in Old Norse) and were depicted as light-hating supernatural beings akin to the unclean spirits and demons of later Christian tales and legends.
      Dark Elves were seen as greedy and toublesome in regards to humanity but were not strictly malevolent, although they shared some common traits with the trolls- such as turning to stone when exposed to direct sunlight and being humanoid in shape but extremely ugly.

Comment

Aren't they basically the inspiration for dwarves?

A god is just a monster you kneel to. - ArcaneArts, Quoting "Fall of Gods"

Comment

I have heard two variations. One which states that they ARE dwarves and others that claim that they are distinct from dwarves.

Comment

Here is an interesting fetch like fairy.
            Tatty Bogles are another name for a scarecrow in some parts of the United Kingdom (especially Scotland), the origin of the word however is linked to a folkloric creature similar to a goblin or fairy - who was believed to dress up like a scarecrow and either attack unwary visitors to the potato-field it haunted or bring blight to the crops.

The Tatty Bogle was thus of the "Bogle" family of spirits, believed to be evil ghosts, fairies or demons by locals - related to earlier concepts such as the Unseelie Court and the Wild Hunt.

The word comes from "tatty" (potato) and "bogle" (the spirit class mentioned above)

Comment

Trow are a type of goblin found in the folklore of the Shetland and Orkney Isles - they are also similiar to the Norse trolls but tend to be shy and extremely small, however they are also known to be troublesome and only able to appear during the hours of the night.
              Trows would enter people's homes and cause mischief or play tricks and pranks but were also known to go as far as kidnapping humans - especially musicians, due to their legendary love of music.
              Although Trows are considered a dangerous and mischievious fairy they are not entirely without merit and when caught in a good mood they are said to teach humans magic as well as fiddle tunes.

Comment

Trauco In the traditional Chilota mythology of Chiloé, the Trauco is a humanoid creature of small stature - similar to a dwarf or goblin - who lives in the deep forests. It has with an ugly face, and legs without feet.

The Trauco is a mythical entity who inhabits the woods of Chiloé, an island in the south of Chile. It has a powerful magnetism that attracts young and middle-aged women. According to myth, the Trauco's wife is the wicked and ugly Fiura. The trauco carries a small stone-headed hatchet that he uses to strike trees in the forest to symbolize his sexual potency. Whoever the Trauco chooses will go to him, even if she is sleeping, and fall enraptured at his feet. No woman can resist his magical attraction; all have sexual intercouse with him. Men of Chiloé fear the Trauco, as his gaze can be deadly. When a single woman is pregnant and no one steps forward as the father, people assume that the Trauco is the father. Because the Trauco is irresistible, the woman is considered blameless. The Trauco is sometimes invoked to explain sudden or unwanted pregnancies, especially in unmarried women.

Comment

Scota Bess was an evil being from Orkney folklore who was best described as a malevolent hag- she was said to of once inhabited the area known as Stronsay and sat upon a rock formation known locally as the Mermaid's Chair casting wicked spells by which to summon storms.

Scota Bess was thus known (and feared) as one of Orkney's storm witches and embodies the unpredictable and dangerous nature of the open sea - somewhat ironically Scota Bess' ancient throne would later become associated with fortune telling and lost some of its former sinister status.

Comment

Originally posted by Madhatter View Post
                    Because Drizzt Do'Urden has made the modern concept of dark elves being beautiful and sensual. I thought I would include the folktale version of dark elves.
                    The Dark Elves, also known by their ancient Norse name Dökkálfar, are a sinister subspecies of elf found in many fantasy settings and having their origins in ancient Norse mythology where they were named Svartálfar ("Swart Elves" or "black elves" in Old Norse) and were depicted as light-hating supernatural beings akin to the unclean spirits and demons of later Christian tales and legends.
                    Dark Elves were seen as greedy and toublesome in regards to humanity but were not strictly malevolent, although they shared some common traits with the trolls- such as turning to stone when exposed to direct sunlight and being humanoid in shape but extremely ugly.

They also had a habit of giving bad dreams to horses... Just because they were dicks, like that.

What about Orcs? They're sometimes depicted as being corrupted offshoots of elves

Comment

Originally posted by Nyrufa View Post

What about Orcs? They're sometimes depicted as being corrupted offshoots of elves
                      Truthfully, the reason I didn't include orcs is due to the fact that they are a comparatively newer folklore invented by Tolkien and inspired by bugbears and goblins.

Comment

Robots are almost the same age and we have Chrometooth as a True Fae. I think it can work

Comment

Originally posted by Master Aquatosic View Post
                          Robots are almost the same age and we have Chrometooth as a True Fae. I think it can work

To be fair, we didn't even have the technological capacity to build robots until recently.

Comment

I am not saying that orcs can't be changelings or True Fae. Rather, I try to include fae creatures that are not well known or put up folklore that allows popular fae entities to be reinterpreted in a less known way.

Comment

Originally posted by Nyrufa View Post

To be fair, we didn't even have the technological capacity to build robots until recently.
                              But the concept of mechanical beings we would recognize as robots instead of golem is about that age

Comment

Working...
                              X