Franklin Freehold

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Franklin Freehold

I'm working on a new campaign using the 2nd ed playtest rules and I'm needing some help with my freehold. I'm setting the game in the Northeast Tennessee/Southwest Virginia area. I'm tentatively calling it the Franklin Freehold as The State of Franklin was the name the area had attempted to use when they succeeded from the south to rejoin the union during the Civil War, but I'm open to other suggestions based on where this thread goes. So first off, let me give you a little background on the area and then I'll go through my courts that I have thus far and see what ideas you can help me with.

The area is consistent of 3 main cities with several smaller surrounding towns. While all of the three main cities are generally the same size and carry many of the same features, each one has it's own sense of flavor. One city has a large industrial complex and while it's mostly successful, other such factories and hard labor haven't been quite as successful, shutting down. This same city has become known as a larger retirement community. Another city is a college town with at least 3 colleges and plenty of bars. The final city that makes up the triad is the "birthplace of country music." The outside towns consist of smaller places with lots of farming and cattle. The area has tons of smaller festivals as well as a couple larger ones, including the international storytelling festival. I know I missed plenty and feel free to ask questions and such, but with that in mind here are the 4 main courts I have so far.

The court of steel- I modeled this heavily off the copper court from the Iron Hold. Mostly consisting of laborers and craftsman, this court represents the dying factory industry and the changing to now a multitude of call centers, the factories of the 21st century. It's emotion is regret (again, I modeled this heavily after the copper court).

The court of seed- Representing the large agriculture industry around here. Strong, patient, and wise. These are the salt of the earth and mountain people. A lot of wizened might find themselves in this court. The emotion of this court is ??

The court of song- Heralding from the strong roots in music and storytelling of the region, this court bears a reminder of where the changelings come from, but spin tales and songs to help bring light and remind others there is always a way out. The court emotion is Hope.

The last court is the one I am struggling with. I'm calling it the court of solidarity right now, but I don't know that I like that name. I did it because by the time I got to it, I had already named everything else to begin with an S and I just felt like I needed to go along with it. I'm open to suggestions on the names for all of them really. But basically this one embraces the college aspects of the area. Knowledge, community, leadership.

Court of Scholars?

"My Homebrew Hub"
    Age of Azar
    The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

How about Patience for the Emotion of the Court of Seed. That, or some word to do with holding on to tradition

A god is just a monster you kneel to. - ArcaneArts, Quoting "Fall of Gods"

Comment

For a college based court, what about the Court of Semantics (linguistics and logic concerned with meaning)? Anyone who has taken college knows that words, meaning and punctuation are a must for near anything written.

Also, something to note for your freehold is how they interact with one another. What binds them into one system, and what divides them into separate entites? What faults does one court have the others can cover? What strength does a court have others covet? This is less for the mechanics and more for logistical and story reasons. It sounds like an interesting baseline thus far.

Also, if you need to find an emotion for the college court, I recommend Frustration. It represents the struggles of learning, and the difficulties that a learned man can present those who have not has his education (a mwn with an engineering degree will have a better idea on how to make a home than one without).

Comment

But wouldn't Frustration be something they want to overcome rather than something they value? Frustration happens when you're going nowhere

Comment

Originally posted by Master Aquatosic View Post
            But wouldn't Frustration be something they want to overcome rather than something they value? Frustration happens when you're going nowhere
            Frustration also shows effort and growth in overcoming problems, and it makes the satisfaction of success more notable. It is also valuable as a weapon, if you can inflict it into others.

Comment

i guess. But frustration can also come from someone who just gives up because it didn't work the first time

Comment

what about Curiousity as their emotion?

Comment

Working...
                X