Questions about Changeling Hours

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about Changeling Hours

The Fairest seeming bonus allows it to apply to people, including Changelings (and presumably other supernaturals), and that raises a few issues. What does "Newly Made" mean when applied to people? Do characters turn into infants? Are they rewound to their physical prime?

Secondly, the fact that an exceptional success can freeze something or someone in time permanently is concerning, to say the least. The roll is only resisted by size, and it's easy enough to boost the dicepool to a point where exceptional success is reasonably likely. That seems rather beyond the usual scope of Changeling powers, especially a 2 dot contract that only costs 2 glamour.

For the second point: you can kill someone for 0 glamour with an exceptional success and a decent weapon, and that's only penalized by Defense. I don't think it's as unbalanced as it looks.

2E Legacy Updates
    Brotherhood of the Demon Wind
    Choir of Hashmallim (plus extra Summoning content)
    Storm Keepers

Comment

Originally posted by HelmsDerp View Post
      The roll is only resisted by size, and it's easy enough to boost the dicepool to a point where exceptional success is reasonably likely.
      I would just like to point out that "You can boost the dicepool easily enough" is not the first concern to be had about the consequences of an exceptional success effect for a Contract in a Changeling 2e game.

On snowy floor, we waltz the score, / We masquers are our masks.

Resident Sanguinary Analyst
      Currently Consuming: Changeling: the Lost 1e

Comment

Okay I would have thought it self evident why freezing something in time and space, making it impossible to move and immune to damage, forever, would be an issue, but evidently not, so let me spell it out.
        Once that exceptional success is invoked, the person or object cannot be moved by any means. They/it are now a permanent fixture, one that's going to rapidly draw an intense amount of scrutiny if it happens in a remotely public place. And short of literally building over the offending object, there's not much Changelings can really do to hide it (other splats, yes, but there's no guarantee those even exist in a given game). Yes, making a character who can kill somebody with one lucky hit isn't too hard, but people die suspicious and violent deaths all the time in the CoD. That's not overtly and undeniably supernatural. Until you hit five dot contracts just about everything but the elemental ones are pretty easy to cover up, and nothing leaves evidence that persists forever and can't be moved or destroyed.
        The obvious answer is to not invoke the exceptional effect, but there are two issues with that. One, it's annoying to have the reward for rolling well be something that's only going to cause problems. Two, the more accessible a world altering power is, the more likely it is some idiot is going to use it to alter the world without considering the consequences, and Changelings aren't known for being mentally stable.

Comment

Originally posted by HelmsDerp View Post
          Okay I would have thought it self evident why freezing something in time and space, making it impossible to move and immune to damage, forever, would be an issue, but evidently not
          I don't not-understand why the effect is an issue, mate.

I'm saying that the universal ability of changelings to make all of their Contracts automatically count as exceptional successes for the scene is a bigger issue for how easy it is to get a power's exceptional success result than "you can optimize a character to get a lucky roll on this power naturally."

This is a tangential issue to the mechanics of that particular power's execution.

Resident Sanguinary Analyst
          Currently Consuming: Changeling: the Lost 1e

Comment

The other issue is that, since its resisted, you can *always* freeze someone in time if you drop your mask. There is absolutely no way to stop it short of the Contract of Abjuration from Dark Ages.

Comment

Working...
            X