Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Non-Abusive/Empathetic True Fae...even possible? (and Wyrd 10 Changelings)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non-Abusive/Empathetic True Fae...even possible? (and Wyrd 10 Changelings)

Assuming that "Becoming Nightmares" was considered and if Wyrd 10 Changelings do become True Fae, the greatest question of all that what happens to their "sense of themselves" assuming that everysingle True Fae are abusive slave owning monsters?

Or rather is it possible to have a Empathetic/Non-Abusive True Fae especially if they happen to be Wyrd 10 and zero Clarity Changelings or what happens if they have Wyrd 10 and Clarity 10? Basically what I have in mind is somehow introducing the Firstborn from DA: Fae which is perhaps what Wyrd 10 Changelings can potentially become?

Well to be honest, my only problem with "Becoming Nightmares" and making the True Fae actually ex Changelings not only removes the mystery of what True Fae actually are but also it becomes problematic the fact it becomes a meaningless hopeless game that you'll eventually going to end up being one of your abusers you've been fighting against so why increase your Wyrd at all? Unless Empathetic/Non-Abusive "True Fae" are entirely possible and actually exist (i.e. C:tL equivalent to the Firstborn Fae from DA: Fae) because if not then this problem would persist until then.
    Last edited by Veindark; 12-03-2016, 05:37 PM.

Originally posted by Veindark View Post
    but also it becomes problematic the fact it becomes a meaningless hopeless game that you'll eventually going to end up being one of your abusers you've been fighting against so why increase your Wyrd at all?
    How? There's no inevitability to it. A Changeling can grow old and die if they want, nothings forcing them to become True Fae.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

How? There's no inevitability to it. A Changeling can grow old and die if they want, nothings forcing them to become True Fae.
      Yet what if I want to increase in Wyrd and ultimately become immortal as a alternative to Vampirism?
      Last edited by Veindark; 12-03-2016, 05:57 PM.

Comment

I imagine that there are True Fae who are decent people out there somewhere but they're probably not kidnapping humans by force and even if they have changelings in their realm they're could be people who were rescued from horrible situations or who wanted to come for some other reason. If you're in a magically wonderful land where you're not being horrifically abused as a lamppost you may not want to leave- and if you do then you'd probably be a loyalist who helps your nice Keeper out when they ask for help with things. Logically, changelings who actively try to escape from raging assholes who take a huge number of mortals every year are going to outnumber the few who decide to leave the perfection and wonder of an Arcadian realm that isn't trying to turn them into a lamp post.

Comment

Some Gentry aren't so bad. They take a child so they can raise one. Or to play games with them, or to nurture their talent as their musician. The True Fae doesn't always see what they do as a bad thing. Helping a musician improve is hardly evil after all, giving them a venue to play, and practice and perform is a good thing for them. They do not see it as slavery they see it as helping out the mortal. Perception is a powerful force after all. Taking a child away from a neglectful parent to dote upon them and raise them, where is the harm in that. Taking a broken hearted soul and making them your lover so they can heal and get over their heart break isn't wrong.

It's all in perspective, many Gentry likely think they are helping not harming.

Comment

Originally posted by Veindark View Post
            Yet what if I want to increase in Wyrd and ultimately become immortal as a alternative to Vampirism?
            Then you're out of luck. You can't have both. You either live and die as a human, or live forever as a True Fae. Pick.

That's not a meaningless decision.

Comment

Then you're out of luck. You can't have both. You either live and die as a human, or live forever as a True Fae. Pick.

That's not a meaningless decision.
              Well say if I pick the True Fae decision, I wonder how they can maintain being themselves (or the the essence of you) especially if it's possible for True Fae to live in our world but their Arcadian Realm is more of a 'backup realm' for them that they sometimes frequent trips in and out of their realms? Like sometimes they use their Arcadian Realms to storage things in there or sometimes taking people in their realms for shelter or different reasons?

I guess it's possible that the more benevolent True Fae are Wyrd 10 Changelings?

I think there has to be some way to port the Firstborn Fae from DA: Fae which they can be Gentry that are playable. Or basically a Gentry that behaves just like a DA: Fae Firstborn which the only alien aspect is that their loss of direction of time since they're timeless beings as opposed to a Vampire's immortality which Vampires do have a sense of time while True Fae don't.
              Last edited by Veindark; 12-03-2016, 06:44 PM.

Comment

Oh boy, another "why does the game have to [central component of the game]?" argument. I love these threads.

Just call me Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

Originally posted by atamajakki View Post
                  Oh boy, another "why does the game have to [central component of the game]?" argument. I love these threads.
                  Since sometimes the "Central Component" can make the game more rigid and constraining to that certain theme (therefore making what Micheal posted a meaningless decision if constrained within the game's originally written themes) despite the fact the game is about playing as Faeries.
                  Last edited by Veindark; 12-03-2016, 06:54 PM.

Comment

It's not about playing as Faeries, it's about playing a changeling.

Comment

A True Fae could randomly decide to be helpful or even nice for a while. They might even take a few centuries to get bored of it.

Comment

It's not about playing as Faeries, it's about playing a changeling.
                        Aren't Changelings techincally Faeries after all?

Then again, if playing C:tL is about playing as a Changeling and if your Changeling reaches Wyrd 10 and becomes a True Fae, does this mean you have to hand over your character sheet to make a new character? If so then it kinda contradicts what you said since the only choice is to grow old and die and if you ever attempted to reach immortality status (being True Fae) then you pretty much 'loose the game' which therefore forcing you to stay low powered and living in fear as it's logical conclusion due to the fact that C:tL is about playing as a Changeling.

Comment

I'm not adverse to the idea. The point is that I also believe it can't last and change according to the whims of Wyrd, possibly looking quite random to outside observers. To me, a friendly true Fae is like a friendly tiger in the wild: possible, but won't be surprised if one day somebody is bit.

Dark Ages was and is great, but Changeling's True Fae are..can we say unpredictable? On a large-scope perspective, at least.

Cinder's Comprehensive Collection of Creations - Homebrew Hub
                          Currently writing: "Dark Era: The Forest That Weeps". When not busy writing homebrew, I also try to write CoD fiction. (All paused until August)

Waiting feverishly as instructed

Comment

Originally posted by Cinder View Post
                            I'm not adverse to the idea. The point is that I also believe it can't last and change according to the whims of Wyrd, possibly looking quite random to outside observers. To me, a friendly true Fae is like a friendly tiger in the wild: possible, but won't be surprised if one day somebody is bit.

Dark Ages was and is great, but Changeling's True Fae are..can we say unpredictable? On a large-scope perspective, at least.
                            If that's the case then it seems becoming True Fae in Lost is a meaningless decision then contrary to what Micheal said if you're going be unpredictable and very dangerous and it actually does sound like the only choice you have to maintain your humanity or the sense of yourself is to grow and die which also means staying low powered and living in fear until then as it's logical conclusion despite the fact I heard that it's not the 'spirit of the game' but if you take the game's themes into account, then the only logical conclusion says otherwise. Unless there's a way to port the Firstborn from DA: Fae though...
                            Last edited by Veindark; 12-03-2016, 07:29 PM.

Comment

It's not just wyrd 10, by the way. It also requires clarity 0. And is basically optional on the part of the player. Essentially a changeling will only become a True Fae if their empathy and compassion is already gone. That's just one of the prerequisites for the transformation.

Also in the second edition previews you don't actually need to become a true fae to become immortal. Wyrd 10 does it on it's own, there's a one dot merit that doubles your wyrd for this purpose, putting the requirement at 5, and a 2 dot merit that just goes "fuck it, aging in for chumps".

Comment

Working...
                              X