Your Custom Tokens

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your Custom Tokens

That's right folks, it's for the holiday spirit to kick in! Sit back, relax, and share with everyone the tokens you have made in your games either for or as players. I'm hoping that this will serve as both a resource for storytellers, and just a nice melting pot of ideas people can draw from.

The Shutterbug (***)

This wasn't actually a creation of mine, but was actually the creation of an ST I had back when the first iterations of the Kiths were unleashed - our Beast (that is, Primordial, not Lost) player wanted a Token that would basically act as a security camera, and was granted it. However, the rules for Tokens hadn't been revealed, and as such, outside of the effect, much of this is an embellishment of mine. I still wished to share it with you guys though, and I hope you enjoy it.

The Shutterbug is an old Polaroid camera, complete with printed six-by-six inch photographs that take around ten seconds to reveal the image taken. Parts of its black shell have cracked, and the flash is clearly not what it used to be. However, once the photographer activates it and looks through the viewfinder, it becomes an amazing tool for surveillance. Any photographs the Shutterbug takes act as windows into the scene taken, like a live action security camera, complete with sound and color. However, only one picture may be active at a time, and even then only for a day. Expired pictures fade to blankness.

Action: Standard

Mien: The lens briefly looks like an eyeball, blinking when a picture is taken, complete with black eyelids. Those who look into the lens may find it staring at them in turn.

Drawback: Those in the picture have the feeling of being watched, and are irritated as a result. So long as the picture remains, they will suspect that the photographer is watching them whenever they are in the same area, even if the photographer legitimately doesn't know the other person exists. All social actions with those who were photographed are considered one level lower than they would be otherwise.

Catch: Just as the photographer can see into the scene, so can they been seen in turn. Anyone who can see past the Mask can see a window the same size as the photograph taken, acting as a two way portal for sound and light. Though it's not sufficiently enough to tell who the photographer is, if they're careful, it is a dangerous level of information being given, as powers that tell someone where they are also work through the portal.

Helmet of The Highwayman (***)

Many a Changeling have taken to the open road, going from place to place lest they be followed by their pasts. To avoid accidents, both of the delaying and lethal variety, the Helmet of The Highwayman is worn, improving their ability to handle high speed jaunts and, should the need arise, on-foot escapes. The helmet itself is scratched, faded and almost seems too light for the wearer's own good. Once activated, however, it proves it mettle.

Outside of providing the benefits of a normal motorcycle helmet, the helmet grants an uncanny sense of balance, focus and calm to those who wear it. Driving and Athletics rolls gain the 9-Again trait, and the user gains the benefits of Meditation (though this does not extend to Clarity checks). Other actions that would require calm and clarity of mind, such as Brawling, merely gain a +2 Equipment bonus. This lasts for the rest of the scene, or until the wearer removes the helmet, whichever happens first.

Mien: The material of the helmet becomes fresh, as though just out of the package; scratches smooth out, dust vanishes and it has a more solid feel. Further, the coloring takes on a new design - see the Drawback for more details.

Drawback: The helmet has a habit of showing off its bearer's true nature. Anyone who looks through the helmet's visor will see an aspect of the wearer that is normally kept out of sight, and the material likewise takes a new coloring. For a Changeling, this means seeing past their Mask, while the outer shell may be designed to emulate their head's other features; horns or other elements that would normally stick out become molded into the shell. For other beings, such as a Mage, the design may incorporate strange runes, or a sparkling firework caught mid-explosion. For Vampires, or werewolves, the shell may become blood red, while the visor depicts a decayed face or that of a beast. This usually isn't enough to really tell that the wearer is someone unusual, and is nothing new to those who normally see such things, but it's a big hint for those who normally can't. For ordinary mortals, the helmet instead reveals something about their personality they keep hidden, usually related to their Vice.

Catch: Once the high speed has worn off, the helmet is removed or the scene comes to an end, the helmet takes its tole for its services. The wearer finds themselves feeling sluggish, weighed down by the world, as their speed and initiative is cut in half (rounded up). If they're driving a vehicle, or even just in the passenger's seat, they'll find it likewise losing engine power - not enough that it will stall or crash, but they won't be winning any high speed races until the next dawn or dusk (whichever is later), and highway travel will be limited if not dangerous.

I love these. I have one item from the book "Un Lun Dun" by China Mieville that I thought would make a perfect Token with a bit of power-scaling and an added drawback. But the full details of how it works are spoilers in and of themselves, so I'm not sure if I want to post it

A god is just a monster you kneel to. - ArcaneArts, Quoting "Fall of Gods"

Comment

I've got a concept for one if anyone would like to write it up: Skeleton Key. It can unlock any door, but the drawback is that it unlocks doors leading to its user. If you can invade other people's homes, anyone can invade yours.

Comment

I think there already is a token lockpicking set that already has that effect. You could easily adapt the rules on that to work for your Skeleton Key

A god is just a monster you kneel to. - ArcaneArts, Quoting "Fall of Gods"

Comment

Another one, something fun and light. Can you tell I have a sweet tooth?

Thundering Skies Moon Pies (*)

For any Changeling with a sweet tooth, getting something high in calories can be an expensive chore. Fortunately, Thundering Skies can provide, to an extent. The package itself is innocent enough, faded with age, a distinctly off-brand label and with an expiry date disturbingly recent. However, after closing the flaps, putting any tears together and running a finger over the flaps, the box reveals itself to be full of Moon Pies, covered in delicious chocolate, firm graham cracker and a marshmallow filling. Though packaged and sealed, there is something distinctly home-made and carefully crafted about them. Each activation grants eight moon pies to eat, though the treats themselves will last a week before mysteriously vanishing. Stray wrappers also vanish when nobody pays any mind to them. The box will refill itself each time it is used, and any tears are repaired so long as the cardboard is touching, but any attempts to activate it when there is something foreign inside it will fail.

Mien: The box gains a sheen as though fresh from the factory, and weighing a surprising amount. Any tears in the packaging seal themselves, and the flaps almost seem glued together again. The moon on the package and the wrappers within are always in a different position between activations. The contents on the package become a little vague, as the Ingredients list no preservatives beyond "A lot of love" and the expiry date is always within a week of activating.

Drawback: Tasty as they are, no person or Changeling can sustain themselves off these treats. Eating the contents of a box will only stave off the need for Survival rolls for a few hours at most, and even careful consumption will have consequences. Each moon pie consumed within a day will taste distinctly worse than the last - ingredients will have notably less quality, chemical tastes will inhibit the flavor, and eventually the things will taste near rotten. Nothing has changed nutritionally about the treats, but after the third moon pie consumed, the character must make a Resolve + Stamina roll to swallow it, and each successful attempt will incur a cumulative -2 Penalty as the flavor worsens. On a Dramatic Failure, the character feels sick enough to vomit.

Catch: As delicious as the treat is, soft marshmallow can leave a heavy weight in the eater's stomach. When the character would next make a Stealth roll, a Success will become a Failure, and a Failure will become a Dramatic Failure (the character does not gain a Beat from this). An Exceptional Success will pass unscathed, but the next Stealth roll will incur a -3 penalty in turn.

Comment

How does this look for my Sherif of Nottingham Changeling

Freedom in Servitude (***)
            Freedom in Servitude is a weapon crafted of the idea that freedom is found being subjagated. This contradiction of ideas is the core upon which the sword is forged. Along with that were the words torn from a police cruiser "To Protect and Serve". These were then alloyed with a steel made from books of law. Etteched upon the blade are the words "To Serve, is to be Free"
            The blade is a force of absolute law. What it is used against it will cut. This blade offers a +2 bonus to attacks, and ignores wyrd points of armor or durability. As part of its activation the targets must be identified and their crime stated, as well as their sentence. The sword will carry out the sentence. For example if an individual were caught picking pockets and sentenced to the loss of their right hand, the sword could not inflict a killing stroke. If presented with the left had it would automatically miss until presented the right hand and then cleanly and efficiently remove the hand.
            Drawback: Must carry out the sentence pronounced for the crime. Never more or less, criminals who fight the user and not sentenced to death take the beat down condition instead of losing their last box of lethal health levels even if quick and dirty combat rules are not in effect. Should the officer fail to carry out the scentence they take an attack from the sword that does 3 lethal damage. Armor cannot prevent this damage, supernatural effects may reduce it to bashing, similar to the dragon kith ability.
            Cost: 2 glamour
            Mask: A policeman's nightstick.
            Mein: a elegant sword of white and black steel with the blood groov containing the words
            Catch: Repeating the words "Subjugation is Freedom, Servitude is Liberation, I will be the order of Law." while drawing the sword. Then pronouncing the crime and sentence of the the person or persons on whom it is about to be used this process takes 1 full action. Additional crimes may be named.

Comment

Interesting hedgespun token, particularly for your Changeling concept. I like how its mask is that of a police nightstick, but its mien is a sword that only cuts what it must, as well as the various components that go into it. The effect could probably be reworded to be a bit clearer, but I'm not sure what; it sounds like it grants a bonus to called shots, while ignoring armor. "For your crimes of murder and mayhem, I sentence you to a hole in your heart, which is to stop beating." would thus grant a bonus to called shots towards striking someone in the chest. I'm also confused by "Wyrd points of armor or durability"; does that mean the victim's armor and or the durability of their weapons is ignored, at least those up to the user's Wyrd dots?

However, for such a boon, I am not sure how much of a penalty it is to reciete the targets crimes in latin, given the Catch for a Token is always a curse/punishment, unlike the Catch for Contracts which is a way to use the Contract for free. It's kind of like making someone work for you. You can convince them with guile (your Wyrd), pay them to do the job (Glamour) or you could just force them to do so, but they'll be spiteful in turn (Catch); in every case the person does the job, and they still make a mess (the Drawback), but forcing them always has something you'll need to deal with afterwards. It also allows someone without a Wyrd stat or Glamour to spend the ability to use a Token, like a Mage or a normal mortal. It just isn't very optimal for them to do so.

The problem with making Catches, however, is that it's hard to not be thematic with them. In the 2e materials released, some sample Tokens are thematic with them (the cigarettes whose Catch is that you become extremely addicted to them, or the lucky cat figurine that requires a service to the King of Cats proportional to the luck granted), but some are disconnected (the folding fan that can spawn items for you to use, and its catch is you have an insatiable desire to eat insects you see).

Overall though, I do like the Freedom in Servitude. Very cool ideas behind this.

Comment

Taidragon Ahh I haven't seen the 2e materials on tokens yet. Well, if you would like to help refine things I would love the help.
                The part about the Word points of Armor Durability is exactly as you guessed, to a degree. For example, let's say during a chase the opponent reveals that they are a parkour expert and you are not. They go over a fence without stopping. The Sherif following behind them doesn't stop and instead draws Freedom in Servitude and pronounces that the fence is guilty of obstructing justice, and is sentenced to division, and cuts through the chain link and runs though. That was my thinking when I through in Durability anyway.

Comment

HaplessWithDice Heh, I like the idea of charging a fence with obstructing justice. The only problem with granting Durability and or Defence/Armor ignoring abilities is that, if it's based on Wyrd, this can make the weapon very powerful in certain Changelings' hands, and less useful in anything without a Wyrd trait. I'd also make the token a Five Dot one instead of a Three Dot, though in that case I'd add a potent Curse to it as well.

Comment

And another token that I thought up thanks to another thread on the forums. Hope you guys enjoy it, and the delicious irony it presents.

The Djinn’s Abode (*****)
                    The tale of Alibaba and the genie or djinn is well known to the world, much less to Changelings. Though the actual djinn has not been found, multiple oil lamps have been discovered within the Hedge and, rarely, a particular abode has been found that would make any Changeling weep with happiness. The lamp is scuffed, dented and seemingly clogged, but full of promise.

Once activated, the Djinn’s Abode becomes a portal to a hidden Hollow, completely marked off and secure from the rest of the Hedge so long as the token is intact. The Hollow has all the amenities a Changeling would desire, including the Luxury Goods and Size Matters (**) benefits, and Goblin fruit to provide sustenance and Glamour. Once activated, the Hollow belongs to the user, who may accept or expel anyone who would come within the Hollow, even if they are a Gentry. Being accepted does not grant these privileges to anyone outside of the user, and even death cannot approach to the owner unless they leave. The Djinn’s Abode is left behind once used, but cannot by used by another save through the Catch (see below).

Mien: The lamp emits a sickly sweet smoke, and becomes pleasantly warm to the touch.

Drawback: Just because it is gilded does not make the Hollow any less a cage for the Changeling; just as others cannot force their way into the Hollow through the Hedge, so too can Changelings not leave through the Hedge. They must use the the Djinn’s Abode to leave the Hollow. However, even if nobody discovers the Djinn’s Abode, leaving the Hollow is not so easy. Upon leaving, the Changeling must fulfill an expressed desire of another person, unless it requires them to die. Should the desire not be fulfilled within a day, or one is not found, the Changeling is forcibly returned to the Hollow even if they are far from the Djinns Abode. Should they succeed, they are no longer considered the owner of the Hollow. The Changeling can only leave the Hollow once every 24 hours.

Catch: The familiar shape of the token makes it a massive curse. If the Djinn’s Abode is found by someone else, and they hold it, the owner of the Hollow is removed from it without their willing. If removed, the owner must fulfill the desire of the holder of the Djinn’s Abode, and they feel an intense compulsion to do so. However, no matter how promptly they fulfill the desire, they are returned back to the Hollow, and the removal from the Hollow counts as an attempt to leave it. The owner of the Hollow may removed three times a day this way.

Comment

Which piece of the open dev content has rules for token creation, I'd love to contribute but I have no idea what I am doing.

I'm a nascent AI, just call me Blue.
                      I use blue writing because it's my name....
                      -My 2E homebrew Freehold and court hub
                      -My 2E homebrew Hedgespun hub

Comment

Originally posted by Blue-01.exe View Post
                        Which piece of the open dev content has rules for token creation, I'd love to contribute but I have no idea what I am doing.
                        There isn't really a spot for Token Creation, more just on Tokens, which is unfortunate because the language in 2e leaves it unclear on whether Changelings outright can make tokens, just Hedgespun items. I'm pretty sure it's the same thing in 1e...but I'm not sure because I've not read up on it well enough.

The material is in chapter 3, currently in Gold standard (instead of Redlines or Final), which itself is...somewhere. I'm afraid I've lost track of what thread has it. However, it's a link to a google docs page, and...here it is!

Well, I hope that helps. It's likely not the last version of the rules, but still, interesting stuff here.

Comment

Originally posted by Taidragon View Post

There isn't really a spot for Token Creation, more just on Tokens, which is unfortunate because the language in 2e leaves it unclear on whether Changelings outright can make tokens, just Hedgespun items. I'm pretty sure it's the same thing in 1e...but I'm not sure because I've not read up on it well enough.

The material is in chapter 3, currently in Gold standard (instead of Redlines or Final), which itself is...somewhere. I'm afraid I've lost track of what thread has it. However, it's a link to a google docs page, and...here it is!

Well, I hope that helps. It's likely not the last version of the rules, but still, interesting stuff here.
                          That does help indeed! I was wondering however, have you looked at my hedgespun item homebrew? I think expansions on that could effectively make tokens, however they'd be a lot more expensive in merits. It's still very work in progress, maybe you have some ideas though, just a thought.

I'm a nascent AI, just call me Blue.
                          I use blue writing because it's my name....
                          -My 2E homebrew Freehold and court hub
                          -My 2E homebrew Hedgespun hub

Comment

Originally posted by Taidragon View Post
                            I'm pretty sure it's the same thing in 1e...but I'm not sure because I've not read up on it well enough.
                            1e had changeling-made tokens produced as either semirandom effects generated by proximity to high-Wyrd changelings with a particular Merit (Tokenmaster, found in Equinox Road) or Hedgespun. There's an optional Merit in Chapter 4 of Rites of Spring for making standard tokens, but that same chapter specifies that normally changelings looking to create a particular sort of token without Hedgespinning take their chances with putting appropriate objects in suitable places in the Hedge.

Resident Sanguinary Analyst
                            Currently Consuming: Changeling: the Lost 1e

Comment

Originally posted by Satchel View Post
                              1e had changeling-made tokens produced as either semirandom effects generated by proximity to high-Wyrd changelings with a particular Merit (Tokenmaster, found in Equinox Road) or Hedgespun. There's an optional Merit in Chapter 4 of Rites of Spring for making standard tokens, but that same chapter specifies that normally changelings looking to create a particular sort of token without Hedgespinning take their chances with putting appropriate objects in suitable places in the Hedge.
                              Thank you Satchel. Very much appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                              X