Ensorcellment (2E)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ensorcellment (2E)

So I was looking through the open development, and am a little curious: Is ensorcellment still going to be a thing? Is it mentioned (or mentioned to not be there) in the open development?

Ensorcellment is mentioned but we don't have mechanics for it yet. It might be an issue of communication- it's not going to be included in 2ed but writers didn't know that when putting together their pieces of the game, whomever was supposed to include it in their section forgot about it, or we just haven't seen it yet. Pledges got such a huge makeover between 1ed and 2ed that I personally think that they just got forgotten in the draft we have. They'd fit in well as the benefit of a Bargain. Changelings have to reveal their true nature to the human to make a bargain so if it were up to me I'd have them spend an extra point of glamour and give them the Ensorcelled (Persistent) Condition. It seems like it'd make a good Condition now.

Comment

I really hope it stays around. Having Fae-touched as the only mostly-normals that know about the fae world does not seem healthy for Changelings, given that the Fae-touched have that Hedge-addiction problem

A god is just a monster you kneel to. - ArcaneArts, Quoting "Fall of Gods"

Comment

This reminded me of an ensorcellment house rule that I was working on with my last group that would basically allow autumn courtiers or changelings with high occult to infuse more than a single dot of glamour into the ensorcellment pledge with a mortal. While this would not allow the mortals any access to contracts or pledges, they could use this small pool of excess glamour to open existing hedge gates, benefit from goblin fruit, and activate tokens. Since each dot of glamour invested in the mortal would be unavailable to the changeling for the duration of the ensorcellment, abuse seemed unlikely and the only way for ensorcelled to replenish spent glamour was via goblin fruit or a pledge with a changeling, making them rather dependent upon their "sponsor" in a rather ghoul-like way. If ensorcellment is still a thing in 2E, how would this work as a bargain?

Comment

Unrelated to the question of whether the core is covering Ensorcellment, it somehow spontaneously occurred to me that to ensorcell humans is to play True Fae.

If we ever do a book of the "close to home cast", I feel like that is a cornerstone I would build on.

Anyways, Ensorcellment.

I actually don't remember if it is or not. I've been busy with school.

Sean K.I.W. Steele, Onyx Path Freelancer
          Working on:Night Horrors: Enemy Action
          The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey

Comment

There is the Betwitched Condition which functions as a darker verison of ensorcellment.

Comment

"Ensorcelled individuals have an effective Wyrd of 0 for the purposes of carrying Goblin Fruit or Oddments, and may benefit from them just as changelings do. "

I found this in one of the play test documents. It would be very strange to have this rule and have no other rules for ensorcellment like how one becomes Ensorcellment.

It does show that in 2e Ensorcelled Mortals can do more then just see through the Mask.

It also shows that Bewitched and Ensorcelled are not the same thing.

If I had to guess one way to become Ensorcelled could possibly be visiting the Hedge, that seems like the kind of thing that would leave an impression on someone.

It dawned on me that Ensorcelled is likely a condition, so it will at least be in the conditions appendix.

Further realization, if the Ensorcelled can use goblin fruit like a Changeling, a bit with a Wyrd of 0, what happens to any glamour they gain?
              Last edited by Omegaphallic; 01-23-2017, 05:46 PM.

Comment

*considers* Perhaps it's possible ensorcelled will = fae-touched? It sounds like ensorcellment will change more than just your perception after all.

Comment

Originally posted by Jakondite View Post
                  *considers* Perhaps it's possible ensorcelled will = fae-touched? It sounds like ensorcellment will change more than just your perception after all.
                  I don't think Ensorcellment is Far Touched, or they would have just called them Ensorcelled.

I think being Ensorcelled is akin to being a Sleepwalker, only maybe conditioned based, where as Far Touched is like being a Proximi.

Fae Touched are a very specific thing, someone who made a key promise to a changeling before they we're taken, you can't just make someone Fae Touched, but if Ensorcelled has anything at all in common with 1e version, there will likely be ways for Changelings and other Fae to Ensorcell none Fae, maybe even other types of Supernaturals like Werewolves.

This is all speculation on my part.

That being said you may be right about there being more benifits to being Ensorcelled then enjoying goblin fruit and seeing through the Mask.
                  Last edited by Omegaphallic; 01-23-2017, 10:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ArcaneArts View Post
                    Unrelated to the question of whether the core is covering Ensorcellment, it somehow spontaneously occurred to me that to ensorcell humans is to play True Fae.

If we ever do a book of the "close to home cast", I feel like that is a cornerstone I would build on.

Anyways, Ensorcellment.

In a minor way I can see that, your changing a human, altering them to make them more useful to you, making them more Fae, if only in a minor way.

A reflection of what the True Fae did to the Changeling, although in a far less dark and extreme way.

Comment

Originally posted by Omegaphallic View Post

In a minor way I can see that, your changing a human, altering them to make them more useful to you, making them more Fae, if only in a minor way.

A reflection of what the True Fae did to the Changeling, although in a far less dark and extreme way.
                      Slippery slopes start that way.

Sean K.I.W. Steele, Onyx Path Freelancer
                      Working on:Night Horrors: Enemy Action
                      The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey

Comment

Slippery slopes start that way.
                        First it's pledges and contracts, the higher there wyrd gets the more possessive and controlling they get, til they hit that 10 , they go full True Fae and are kidnapping you for their new court. Sounds about right.

"I am a daydreamer and a Night thinker."~

Comment

Anyways, Ensorcellment.

I recall one of the first-edition books making a similar point about taking animals into the Hedge to turn them into hobgoblins. It made me rethink some things about changelings, in a good way.

Comment

Working...
                          X