Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Vent0 View Post
    Oh. I thought they were Hedge natives.
    They are. And they are faeries. This is kind of like saying you thought kangaroos were Australia natives as opposed to marsupials. Nothing about either contradicts the other.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post
      They are. And they are faeries. This is kind of like saying you thought kangaroos were Australia natives as opposed to marsupials. Nothing about either contradicts the other.
      Very well. What is the term for a Hedge native that is not a faerie? Hedgebeasts, or is that solely animal-like Hedgedwellers? Or altered animals.

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
      Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

Yeah, that's what I'd think.

Not sure why you asking me. If I had to say, perhaps because those are Mage traits, and thus might operate on different principles (Fallen vs Supernal)? Or, you sort-of could, at least in that Mind could possibly paper over your memory of possessing those Rotes (and thus, you'd never think to use them). And Death can kinda prevent Attainments, in that you could sever a Mage's soul (Attainments are supposed to come from the soul, but even if that doesn't stop them directly, eventually Soul Loss will drop their Gnosis).

‚Äč
        Wrong quote, sorry 'bout that.

Back to the subject of iron and fairies. It comes to me that fairies in general would have a better time in the modern world and the future, contrary to how they're depicted as being "the old gods" who thrived in the past, considering how iron is quickly being cast aside as primary material.

MtAw Homebrew: Even more Legacies, updated to 2E

Comment

Very well. What is the term for a Hedge native that is not a faerie? Hedgebeasts, or is that solely animal-like Hedgedwellers? Or altered animals.
          I don't know as there are any hedge natives that aren't faeries. Others would know better than I, though.

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Comment

But doesn't the Hedge transform even non-native beings caught in it slowly to hobgoblins, which are fae by definition? So every creature found in the Hedge would still be vulnerable to iron, save for the Hedge itself.

Comment

Originally posted by 21C Hermit View Post
              But doesn't the Hedge transform even non-native beings caught in it slowly to hobgoblins, which are fae by definition? So every creature found in the Hedge would still be vulnerable to iron, save for the Hedge itself.
              That would make sense, given that Changelings are non-native and still vulnerable to iron.

Comment

Very well. What is the term for a Hedge native that is not a faerie?
                There isn't one.

The Hedge is the borderland between Earth and Faerie, and the periphery of the Wyrd's topographical territory. The energies that transform changelings and make Arcadia mutable are composed of the same stuff that the Fae are made from, and if something's been sufficiently infused with the Wyrd to be transformed into a totally different being rather than "just" being a human touched by the fae then it's got it running through its entire system.

Think of how Installing a gadget with an Embed technically replaces the original object with a simulacrum better suited to be a vessel for the alien laws of the God-Machine, or how changelings don't have a meaningful division between their physical bodies and their dream forms despite dreams being the environment they perform better in.

Resident Sanguinary Analyst
                Currently Consuming: Changeling: the Lost 1e

Comment

Something'd have to be changed by the Wyrd in a different "ecosystem" for it to not be affected by the iron curse. Considering that so far the Wyrd only has manifested for the fae indicates this is a rare edge case, but it could theoretically happen. Odds aren't it's natural, though.

Sean K.I.W. Steele, Onyx Path Freelancer
                  Working on:Night Horrors: Enemy Action
                  The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey

Comment

Originally posted by ArcaneArts View Post
                    Something'd have to be changed by the Wyrd in a different "ecosystem" for it to not be affected by the iron curse. Considering that so far the Wyrd only has manifested for the fae indicates this is a rare edge case, but it could theoretically happen. Odds aren't it's natural, though.
                    Cue Deviants.

Comment

• I really did not expect this thread to get so much attention O.o It was like my first ever post, and the discussion it started is fantastic.

I'm a nascent AI, just call me Blue.
                      I use blue writing because it's my name....
                      -My 2E homebrew Freehold and court hub
                      -My 2E homebrew Hedgespun hub

Comment

• Originally posted by 21C Hermit View Post

Cue Deviants.
                        Fuck yeah cue Deviants.

Sean K.I.W. Steele, Onyx Path Freelancer
                        Working on:Night Horrors: Enemy Action
                        The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey

Comment

• Originally posted by ArcaneArts View Post
                          In the game I'm currently running, my wife's character made an oath on iron and carried it through, at the cost of iron bands wrapped around her heart. Because of that, she was called Ironheart, and gained a surprising degree of resistance to the curse of iron. In another world (this game is a crazy reality hopping mess), she met a being called Ironsoul. She learned that in that world, Ironside was actually the Arcadian realm belonging to Ironsoul, and that the iron curse had been laid upon the Gentry by him as vengeance for the death of his "son". The "real world" had been destroyed long before, but Ironsoul had welcomed the refugees and changed the laws of his land to match those of the original world more closely for their benefit. Of course, he still held a grudge against the other Fae, so the curse against them remained.

Currently working on: DtD Night Horrors: Enemy Action
                          Projects I've contributed to: C20 Anthology of Dreams ("No Such Thing As Dragons")

Comment

• So as a curiosity, would a cast iron skillet count as cold iron? Or does the cast part negate the needed cold part?

Comment

• Originally posted by emmens View Post
                              So as a curiosity, would a cast iron skillet count as cold iron?

I think it has to.

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
                              Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

• Modern cast iron is melted and machine made, generally. So, probably not. Pretty much the only way to get cold iron, as the pdfs describe it, is to have it custom made. To use Vampire as a point of comparison, regular iron is about as easy to get ahold of as fire if you know to look for it. If you want to stake a vamp, however, that almost requires you to make your own wood stake; cold iron is the same way.

Comment

Working...
                                X