Freehold Creation - Let's discuss our custom Freeholds

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freehold Creation - Let's discuss our custom Freeholds

I'm wanting to start a bit of an archive of 2E Freeholds and Courts, feel free to post anything you have, no matter how vague!

INDEX OF OTHERS WORKS-

-The Courts of San Francisco (San Francisco, duh) - By Snapdragyn(unable to post details here as Snapdragyn has not gotten back to me yet)

-The Iron Fence (Seoul) - By 21C Hermit

The Iron Fence

Taking cues from the etymological origin of the city itself, the freehold of Seoul has protected changelings by embracing Confuscianism since the Chosun dynasty. It is an adaptation of the Directional Courts whose Taoist elements have been merged with Confuscian ones. Each of the courts are represented by one of the Four Princes - the four plants said to symbolize virtues of a prince. They are in turn linked with four Confuscian virtues, which is turn linked with the cardinal Directions and their Taoist associations of the Five Agents.

Each court is ruled by a minister, who answers to the monarch of the freehold. The ministers are however, the ones often in charge, for the monarch is in fact not chosen among the courts but a blood descendant of the first changeling founder of the freehold - in other worlds, a mortal. This mortal is ensorcelled by and bargained with the four ministers to be initiated into the world of the fae. While the mortal monarch has full power as the Wyrd-acknowledged ruler of the freehold, he barely exercises it for he knows little of the changeling ways, and often delegates important matters to the ministers. Only those few talented monarchs who are canny enough to understand the byzantine laws of the fae and the cutthroat real-life politics between the four courts save themselves from becoming straw dolls whose only job is to smile and stamp.

Court of Orchids
    The Court of Benignancy, the Guardian of the East, the Blue Paper
    Emotion: Pity

Court of Chrysanths
    The Court of Righteousness, the Guardian of the West, the White Brush
    Emotion: Shame

Court of Apricots
    The Court of Courtesies, the Guardian of the South, the Vermillion Ink
    Emotion: Humility

Court of Bamboos
    The Court of Prudence, the Guardian of the North, the Black Inkstone
    Emotion: [In Progress, let me know when to update]

MY OWN WORKS-

-The Courts of the Ages (Hallowvale, fictional US town in progress)-
    Blue-01.exe
    The town of Hallowvale has always been thriving, with a booming population that belies it's rural beginnings. The town itself has always progressed faster than it's inhabitant's mindset, growing at an alarming rate like some concrete and steel cancer upon the countryside. From some of the taller buildings one can still see the signs of farmlands on the outskirts of town.

The Freehold's [name in progress]story is a tale of progress in it's many forms, four[so far] of which are represented by the Courts of Ages.

The Regency passes yearly[up for change] with a competition. This competition is a race through the hedge, not of a specific distance, but to see who can progress furthest through their own personal barriers as manifested by the hedge itself. The Wyrd is the judge.

The population is quite conservative, with a large church near the heart of the city, and a large christian population. Laws often favour a conservative mindset and less reputable businesses face serious issues with the community. Despite this, the criminal factions of Hallowvale have begun to truly thrive with the influx of cash and desparate hanger's on.
    On the surface, organised crime doesn't exist in Hallowvale, however when one digs through the muck of paperwork it becomes evident that somebody is pulling strings.

The Courts of the Ages

Court of the Golden Age(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Age)
    That somebody is the Court of the Golden Age, a court of wealthy and ambitious changelings who's intent is to gentrify Hallowvale and eventually make it, and as much of the rest of the world as they can, into a utopia. They require all courtiers pay a tithe to the court itself to be used for the furthering of it's goals, in game terms this is represented by the courtier possessing 3+ dots of resources, or the courtier is relegated to serving as the strong arm of the court.
    The Court of the Golden Age is fond of manipulating the other courts, seeing itself as the chosen leadership of Hallowvale's changelings.
    Their representation of Progress is mostly political and infrastructural.
    Emotion: Greed
    Approaches-
    -Corporate sabotage
    -Public defamation
    -The Kiss of Death

Court of the Silver Age(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver_age)
    A Court for those that love to party, for the right reasons. Many members either sell or produce narcotics, though with the intent to use it to heal the psychological stresses of changeling and sometimes even mortal life. They often ensorcell mortals, preferring to be truthful with family members about their experiences in Arcadia.
    Their representation of Progress is acceptance and personal growth, the act of forgiving one's keeper is often considered a rite of passage for highly ranked courtiers.
    The Court of the Silver Age often act as intermediaries between courts or individuals, as they are typically politically impartial, at least in Changeling terms, however they are rather proactive in human politics, seeking to create an enlightened society.
    Emotion: Wonder
    Approaches-
    -Poisoned drugs
    -Turn loved ones against you
    -Catch you in the hedge

Court of the Bronze Age(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ages_of_Man)
    The Court of Protectors, often ceremonially clad in bronze, they think of themselves as the military force of Hallowvale. Highly regimented, they often patrol the borders between this world and the hedge with every member is taught at least the very basics of combat. They prefer not to interfere in the affairs of the other courts unless it is something that would rouse the attention of the Gentry, however new leadership has embraced the Courts original ideals of Progress by through Control and is currently vying for the freehold.
    The Court of the Bronze Age has a large Hollow in the hedge surrounding Hallowvale known as the Fortress. Each and every courtier is expected to serve at least the occasional shift on the Fortress.
    The Elite Scouts of the Bronze Age act as the pathfinders for local changelings on occasion.
    An ideal Bronze society would be reminiscent of ancient Rome, with humans being ensorcelled en masse and trained to fend off hobgoblin incursions, any who are not warriors are essentially serfs.
    Emotion: Determination
    Approaches-
    -A duel to the death
    -Bronze melee weaponry
    -Cause a scene in public they must respond to

Court of the Iron Age(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ages_of_Man)
    The Court of Instinct, the Iron Age is much like a gang made up of changelings and some ensorcelled humans. They often act as vigilante's, though just as often can be found robbing liqour stores. The Courtiers have been known to perform ritual scarification with iron needles as a form of hazing, but also as a symbol of status, tattoo's are prominent as well.
    The Court of Iron's members are cunning and resourceful to a man, never preferring the direct route. Their goals are the vaguest of the courts, however if one thing is clear, they are fiercely loyal to one another.
    Again, much like a gang, there is something of a pack aspect to the court of Iron, with a very Darwinian mindset, the strong lead and the weak follow.
    Word has begun to spread of an unlikely leader of the Iron Court with their own ideals of progress that could prove... interesting.
    Emotion: Desparation
    Approaches-
    -Gangland Warfare
    -Be a supervillain
    -Be a superhero

Traditionally Changeling Freeholds are depicted as wanting to blend in with human society, but I decided on going for a larger scale feel for this game. I intend for the courts to have rather ambitious goals in regards to having a changeling run city, and possibly expanding their reach.
    But as I've said, this is just a rough draft and there is plenty missing, I will update it as I work on the setting.

Last edited by Blue-01.exe; 12-23-2016, 02:41 PM.

I'm a nascent AI, just call me Blue.
    I use blue writing because it's my name....
    -My 2E homebrew Freehold and court hub
    -My 2E homebrew Hedgespun hub

The Iron Fence

Taking cues from the etymological origin of the city itself, the freehold of Seoul has protected changelings by embracing Confuscianism since the Chosun dynasty. It is an adaptation of the Directional Courts whose Taoist elements have been merged with Confuscian ones. Each of the courts are represented by one of the Four Princes - the four plants said to symbolize virtues of a prince. They are in turn linked with four Confuscian virtues, which is turn linked with the cardinal Directions and their Taoist associations of the Five Agents.

Each court is ruled by a minister, who answers to the monarch of the freehold. The ministers are however, the ones often in charge, for the monarch is in fact not chosen among the courts but a blood descendant of the first changeling founder of the freehold - in other worlds, a mortal. This mortal is ensorcelled by and bargained with the four ministers to be initiated into the world of the fae. While the mortal monarch has full power as the Wyrd-acknowledged ruler of the freehold, he barely exercises it for he knows little of the changeling ways, and often delegates important matters to the ministers. Only those few talented monarchs who are canny enough to understand the byzantine laws of the fae and the cutthroat real-life politics between the four courts save themselves from becoming straw dolls whose only job is to smile and stamp.

Court of Orchids
    The Court of Benignancy, the Guardian of the East, the Blue Paper
    Emotion: Pity

Court of Chrysanths
    The Court of Righteousness, the Guardian of the West, the White Brush
    Emotion: Shame

Court of Apricots
    The Court of Courtesies, the Guardian of the South, the Vermillion Ink
    Emotion: Humility

Court of Bamboos
    The Court of Prudence, the Guardian of the North, the Black Inkstone

MtAw Homebrew: Even more Legacies, updated to 2E

Comment

I love the idea of a genetic lineage of non-changeling Freehold monarchs!
      21C Hermit
      Last edited by Blue-01.exe; 12-23-2016, 03:32 AM.

Comment

I've actually had the idea of the city for my CofD games being split into two freeholds with their own respective courts and entitlements. The outer city freehold under dominion of the seasonal courts and the inner city being kept under the dominion of a two to three courts based off forms of media entertainment

Comment

@emmens
          I can see that being a great setting, what with the opposition between a more rustic mindset and a more metropolitan one, definitely expand on this! And please keep me updated :P

Comment

Working...
          X