How big can a Freehold be?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How big can a Freehold be?

So I've been kicking around some Freehold ideas in my head, and I can't help but wonder how large a geographical area can be covered by a single Bulwark? Most Freeholds seem to encompass cities or metropolitan areas, but could they cast a wider net? Could multiple cities contribute to a collective Bulwark, thereby making them a giant Freehold? Could there be multiple layers of Bulwarks, where each city has its own, the cities within a state share in a larger, more complex ritual?

Onyx Path Forum Moderator

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

And the questions keep churning.

Sean K.I.W. Steele, Onyx Path Freelancer
    Working on:Night Horrors: Enemy Action
    The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey

Comment

There's a lot we don't know about how Freeholds operate in Second Edition. As a preliminary matter, the Freehold must exist within the boundaries of the "story" of the region. This will depend on the nature of the Courts, especially if the Courts are uniquely defined by the local environment (as opposed to broader Courts like Seasons or Directions). On consideration, is there a MINIMUM size for a Freehold, too? Could you have a King claim a bulwark the size of a room inside an apartment? And then, what you the geography is transient? What if the Freehold is a traveling circus or a caravan of some sort, with the bulwark coming and going with them? What if its a ship or a blimp?

As a general rule, I would say whatever defining quest or agreement should in part reflect the overall space intended to be protected by the bulwark. Relatively simple for a small area, increasingly difficult the large the region. In theory you could even protect the entire world by completing a seemingly impossible task. Hmmmm....also, probably can't have a freehold within a freehold, one bulwark encompassing say a city block with another wraps around it to encompass the whole city. Although that would be interesting... And it brings up an interesting point. Could you usurp a freehold by fulfilling the obligations of your own bulwark while they were in the midst of fulfilling their own? Say a powerful bulwark takes a full day to fulfill, but you've crafted a less powerful story with a bulwark that can be finished within an hour. Could you make yourself king while the other bulwark had technically gone unfulfilled? I guess part of it depends on whether the warding power of the bulwark is able to stay "on" while it gets renewed. Anyway, back to the main topic...an area should probably have only one bulwark able to function at any given time. So to have a large area you'd need to pick a place far from other freeholds...or destroy those freeholds before you create your own larger one. Or maybe you could try to "merge" two stories from two separate freeholds into a new tale and quest to create a single united bulwark. That seems dangerous, though, and I imagine risks the destruction of both original bulwarks in the process. Also, crossovers tend to suck. If I was the Wyrd and I'd just seen the freehold version of Batman vs Superman....ugh. Fate would not be kind. Hurricanes would be involved. And volcanoes. And meteors.

Comment

Because of it's low-population but large size, I have that Australian Freeholds are much bigger than most other places in the world, aided by the distance warping of the hedge. For example, the Alice Springs freehold includes Engawala and Finke Gorge National Park within the far-reaches of it's area, meaning it covers more than 10,1788 square kilometers. That's a freehold which is around a third of the size of Germany, and yet will still have a very small population.
        Last edited by milo v3; 12-19-2016, 08:40 PM.

Comment

Unlike other gamelines, Changeling doesn't have a Tokyo freehold. It has a Honshu freehold. Yes, the freehold is over 228 thousand square kilometers (or 88 square miles), the size of a rather large island.

I would say that freeholds could be any size, but that size needs to somehow be bound by some thematic limit other than just raw milage - city limits are one kind of boundry, an island's shores are another, a culture's reach a third.

Comment

Originally posted by MCN View Post
            Unlike other gamelines, Changeling doesn't have a Tokyo freehold. It has a Honshu freehold. Yes, the freehold is over 228 thousand square kilometers (or 88 square miles), the size of a rather large island.

I would say that freeholds could be any size, but that size needs to somehow be bound by some thematic limit other than just raw milage - city limits are one kind of boundry, an island's shores are another, a culture's reach a third.
            That makes a lot of sense. Thank you, this is an extremely helpful answer.

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Comment

I would say that Bulwark protects particular Lost, not the proper terrain. If yours Courts Story can sustain having changelings from all Honshu, all is it need is changelings following it. Mortals and other supernaturals are not protected under Bulwark self existing - they need to pledge allegiance to local Courts. This will make Courts more prominent and make Freeholds as large as you want - in reality is just 'oath of servitude to concept of our Bulwark that gives us protection', really.
              Last edited by wyrdhamster; 12-20-2016, 10:57 AM.

My Hubs - MtAw 2E Legacies and System Hacks & WtF 2E Lodges and System Hacks
              MtAw 2E - History of Awakened - (almost) canonical game timeline of events
              WtF 2E - Alternative werewolves myths from around the world

Comment

a culture's reach a third.
                Now I kinda want to come up with a globe-spanning freehold based on McDonald's.

I call the Integrity-analogue the "subjective stat".
                An explanation how to use Social Manuevering.
                Guanxi Explanations: 1, 2, 3.

Comment

Yes! Now, would McDonald's be a Court, and other food franchises be other Courts, or are the Courts going be Dollar Menu, Sides, Drinks?

Comment

I keep coming back to an online based freehold but get stuck on the court particulars.

Comment

Yes! Now, would McDonald's be a Court, and other food franchises be other Courts, or are the Courts going be Dollar Menu, Sides, Drinks?
                      I was kinda thinking the Big Mac Court, the McNugget Court, and the Fry Court. I would also really want to tap those ancient wishful attempts at actually having characters that McDonald's used to do. Uh... here: http://mcdonalds.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Characters WHY IS THERE A MCDONALDS WIKIA.

I call the Integrity-analogue the "subjective stat".
                      An explanation how to use Social Manuevering.
                      Guanxi Explanations: 1, 2, 3.

Comment

Originally posted by LLegume View Post
                        I keep coming back to an online based freehold but get stuck on the court particulars.
                        Court of White Knights, Court of Trolls, Court of Scholars... Titles could be Contributer, Moderator, Administrator, etc.

Comment

Look at the example Freeholds, they all tend to be extremely large. Honshu Freehold, Northern Michigan Freehold, Toronto (likely the whole GTA given the size and complexity of the Freehold and local enemy freeholds), Paris, Miami, ect..., none of these are small Freeholds, they massive. It makes sense that Changelings who usually lean towards large freeholds. In rural areas getting the population numbers high enough to have freehold would require the support of the changeling s of a vast area to make up for a low population, and in Urbane areas it would lead to constant turf war and less stability, stability which appeals to Changelings.

Freeholds with small areas and small populations would find defending themselves rival Freeholds, True Far, other critters hard.

Comment

I was still kicking around my nomadic Freehold idea. Maybe I'll get that done over the holidays.

Comment

I wonder how small a freehold could be.

Just call me Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

Working...
                              X